Eternal Lands Official Forums
BruSu

Harv Tutorial

hi first I will say I like this new quest

my friends and I spend a long time to find out the "harv windows". I think all players should have the same fun and should not only follow a walk through that will be known soon.

So perhaps it is possible to change this harvtimes with the next updates?

Edited by BruSu

Then the better solution is to make individual times which are rolled by a dice for each player individually upon quest start.

So you have to harv during a certain period of time. Interesting. I am one of the people who would probably feel the need to use a walkthrough, because checking every hour to see whether i can progress through the quest doesn't strike me as an enormously entertaining thing to do. Those who don't want to use walkthrough can choose not too. those who do, why stop them?

So you have to harv during a certain period of time. Interesting. I am one of the people who would probably feel the need to use a walkthrough, because checking every hour to see whether i can progress through the quest doesn't strike me as an enormously entertaining thing to do. Those who don't want to use walkthrough can choose not too. those who do, why stop them?

It's a quest. With a reward. Thus it makes sese to make it a ... quest. Not a walk in the sun. With 45 minutes time window it's reasonably broad (at least for #3, I haven't yet gotten to other time-limited ones) that it doesn't become a pita. But needs some... questing.

While that would work for some of the tasks, some of the scripts give clues to the time of day.

And remember guys, this is just a tutorial. Not meant to be the most challenging thing in the world. We have some real quests in the works, too. There's about 4 of them sitting in radu's inbox currently. :lurker:

i havent started this yet, waiting till ive finished my project though i wish the medallion quest part 2 would be completed already, i handed in a scythe and still no progress

my friends and I spend a long time to find out the "harv windows". I think all players should have the same fun and should not only follow a walk through that will be known soon.

you mean each player should sit in front of the plant for 6 hours and wait the message?

Edited by Sithis

Reading the hints from the NPC should help a bit in that, as they tend to give a time window of less than 6h (sometimes a lot less, if you read and understand the hints).

Although, atm there are a few bugs with the time windows (up to Acelon/radu to tell more).

you mean each player should sit in front of the plant for 6 hours and wait the message?

How do you think I completed the quest?

How do you think I completed the quest?

not everyone has the luxury to sit and wait in front of the flower for 6 h

Nor are you obliged to do it in one sitting. That, and reading the information you get, makes it doable (and I'm on the last item).

Hint: the EL client has a notepad.

EDIT: better alternative if you don't like the quest or the idea behind it: don't start it...

Edited by revi

Or on the other hand, if some people want to cooperate to finish it , you shouldn't have a problem either then.

Noone is forcing anyone to look for information about finishing a quest, maybe someone has a problem and cant find a certain clue , does that mean that he should stop the quest ?

Honestly guys, help me out, i do not understand why is bad to help the community?

EDIT: better alternative if you don't like the quest or the idea behind it: don't start it...

No bothering to, it's harving and timebased.... two things that I don't like

Acelon - the new quest, would any of the them be something new? because driaia has been recovering from the great war for like 10 years and the dwarfs are still trying to decide on a new healthcare system... would be nice if the story would continue :D

45 minute windows. 6 hours days. 8 time slots for completion. Possible completion time is 1 day per unspecified time given to 7 days or never.

Why 1 day to 7 days to never? Because some people do not have the luxury of folk like me to play for aprox 6 hours a day. For those that only have a 1-2 hour time window during a workday, the chances of finishing the task is not too likely. Some of those folk do not have the option of playing on the weekends either. They would then have to rely on server restarts or downtimes in order to have the time shift or rely on days off.

The hours of available play time that people may have to work with is a good reason to not have the times be random. It would be quite frustrating to try day after day and not be able to finish.

Time based quests might be more doable for people with limited playtimes if EL had 5 hour days, but that does not seem very likely to happen. We will most likely always have 6 hour days, so a person with limited playtimes during a set time of their real life day will most likely always be playing EL during the same EL time (with the exception of server downtime).

EL days are a bit longer than 6h RL, so there is already a shifting that occurs. But yes, it would make for slow progress for some.

On the other hand, you can not finish the other skill tutorials in one go if you don't have a high level in the skill. Harvesting in that

respect is easier, it just gets very, very slow if you are 20 lvl under recommended, it won't cost you a fortune in lost ingredients.

A randomness to the hour/s you have to get the items in would be fun, I haven't done the quest myself yet but will probably do it sooner or later.. No idea what the hints are for the times that you need to harvest them but I do know that every now and then they can be very hard for none native English speakers to get them and thus making it loads harder to know what to do. Quests are suppose to be fun and making them too hard can take the fun out of 'em so a guide to them can be needed just to get one step further and I think that those that wants to do the quests without help will do so others will not... (sorry for the compressed wall of text but since IE updated to V10 I can't use the Enter button here on the forums lol

No bothering to, it's harving and timebased.... two things that I don't like

Acelon - the new quest, would any of the them be something new? because driaia has been recovering from the great war for like 10 years and the dwarfs are still trying to decide on a new healthcare system... would be nice if the story would continue :D

Well, the plan is to continue these storylines with quests eventually. But this all takes time :P

One other thing I noticed;

The harvests that give a message during the quest are not counted in the client counters.

This is easy to see on the timed ones: the last one I did I know I had something like 10 items

harvested trying to find the proper time, none show up in counters...

Not worth correcting probably, just be aware of it, if you try to calculate experience and bonuses

from counters.

For me, timeslots would not be such annoyance, if there is some clue to when it should be harvested. But e.g. for yarrow and wormwood, there is basicly no clue (timeslot clue) whatsoever. Where is the challenge in that? I would not mind even narrower timeslots if only there were some clues and hints from Draia history or whatever to them. But if the only info you get is "there is a short window to harvest that or that" - that is not a challenge, just annoyance IMHO.

Time based quests might be more doable for people with limited playtimes if EL had 5 hour days, but that does not seem very likely to happen. We will most likely always have 6 hour days, so a person with limited playtimes during a set time of their real life day will most likely always be playing EL during the same EL time (with the exception of server downtime).

That is not quite true. An EL hour is about 61 real life minutes. Thus within about 14 days you cycle through the whole of EL time, if you log in at precisely the same time every real life day. I did know or notice at first, but it's a very clever scheme imho and should not be changed - as it solves the issue you see in an elegant way IMHO.

[10:34] <GreyStar>  *** Happy New Hour (game time: 04:00) ***
[11:35] <GreyStar>  *** Happy New Hour (game time: 05:00) ***
[12:35] <GreyStar>  ---[ NEW DAY ON ETERNAL LANDS ]---
[12:35] <GreyStar>  *** Happy New Hour (game time: 01:00) ***
[13:36] <GreyStar>  *** Happy New Hour (game time: 02:00) ***
[14:37] <GreyStar>  *** Happy New Hour (game time: 03:00) ***
[15:38] <GreyStar>  *** Happy New Hour (game time: 03:00) ***

As such, a fixed time for quests is doable. And a random time, but fixed once started for each player would make it somewhat a real quest even when people have a storybook which tells most of the clues.

Edited by Elke

and another thing: there are afaik already 2 players who finished the tutorial and now all the others are waiting for a special day to cash it in. I think it would be nice when the fastest Questers would get at least the same xp reward as the others will get : 3x the harv xp

Or the other way: these reward should nor profit of special days.

Edited by BruSu

That's the way it goes, I wrote many walkthroughs and never complained about people following those.

I didn't get extra summoning xp for a certain quest either, when I was finishing it 1st and didn't wait for others

to find it out, so I can follow them. It's always your choice. This quest you refer to for example is easy to

wait for, it's pretty obvious what the last step is, so just wait for yourself to cash it in.

That is not quite true. An EL hour is about 61 real life minutes. Thus within about 14 days you cycle through the whole of EL time, if you log in at precisely the same time every real life day. I did know or notice at first, but it's a very clever scheme imho and should not be changed - as it solves the issue you see in an elegant way IMHO.

[10:34] <GreyStar>  *** Happy New Hour (game time: 04:00) ***
[11:35] <GreyStar>  *** Happy New Hour (game time: 05:00) ***
[12:35] <GreyStar>  ---[ NEW DAY ON ETERNAL LANDS ]---
[12:35] <GreyStar>  *** Happy New Hour (game time: 01:00) ***
[13:36] <GreyStar>  *** Happy New Hour (game time: 02:00) ***
[14:37] <GreyStar>  *** Happy New Hour (game time: 03:00) ***
[15:38] <GreyStar>  *** Happy New Hour (game time: 03:00) ***

As such, a fixed time for quests is doable. And a random time, but fixed once started for each player would make it somewhat a real quest even when people have a storybook which tells most of the clues.

Ah. I did not notice tha hours were actually 61 minutes. Well then....24.0*60.0/61.0 = 23.606557377049182 EL hours in a day. That means an offset of (24.0*60.0/61.0 -23)*61

37.0 EL minutes per real life day. Thanks for the enlightenment.

Edited by nathanstenzel