Eternal Lands Official Forums
Spinder

Eternal Lands causing very bad eye strain and display problems.

Hi all.

Allow me to explain my problem, I am not sure if this is a bug, but I do not know where else to post this.

I use a program on my computer called F.lux - I have provided a link to the website below.

http://stereopsis.com/flux/

Briefly, what this program does - At night it changes the colour that luminates from my monitor to make it easier on my eyes at night, to match the sunset. It goes more into detail on the website.

Now, my problem with this and eternal lands is, every time I click OUT OF or INTO eternal lands, it briefly deactivates and reactivates the colour that F.lux has activated on my monitor. This can last from a quarter of a second to two seconds, usually it is just a very quick flash. However this is still causing problems with my eyes.

It does this every single time and it causes a lot of eye strain for me and actually gives me headaches, it is very disappointing that I cannot use both these programs at the same time.

I don't know if this is an issue with OpenGL or something, but no other application/games I use do this. If needed, I will film and post a short video of the problem.

--------------------

EDIT: I believe I have found a solution to this problem.

Go into Options > Video and "Disable Gamma Adjustment" AND set "Gamma" to the lowest it can be (0.10). Restart EL. I have tested this twice on separate occasions and it seems to be working.

Edited by Spinder

Is there any reason why there is a gamma control in EL, which sets the global (system-wide) gamma?

I can see why you want to change the gamma for the game window, but it messes up the gamma for the rest of the desktop

Edited by revi

When Gamma was added to OL, system wide gamma was the only available cross platform option without a lot of extra work. That may not be the case anymore, it would have to be looked into.

Does the "Disable Gamma Adjustment" on the Video tab of the options window help?

Edited by bluap

Does the "Disable Gamma Adjustment" on the Video tab of the options window help?

No, the problem still persists

Update: It seems that it stops the screen from flashing when click OUT of the client, however; when clicking back INTO the client the screen still flashes. I may need to test this a bit more and isolate the problem.

Edited by Spinder

Ignore what I said in the previous post (With the update)

The "Disable Gamma Adjustment" does nothing to help with the problem. Still flashes when activating/deactivating the EL client.

Spinder, this may sound like a stupid way to get around things, but have you considered closing your eyes or looking away right before you click?

I have no idea what would be the result for if you turn up the EL gamma during the day and turn it down at night.

Is there any reason why there is a gamma control in EL, which sets the global (system-wide) gamma?

I can see why you want to change the gamma for the game window, but it messes up the gamma for the rest of the desktop

Because there is no option to set gamma for anything else than the entire display (not referring to just EL). Anything else than that is adjusting colors. It would be nice if it was possible to set gamma per render window though.

Spinder, this may sound like a stupid way to get around things, but have you considered closing your eyes or looking away right before you click?

I have no idea what would be the result for if you turn up the EL gamma during the day and turn it down at night.

I actually did have to resort to closing my eyes when switching between windows, I actually did it for about a week, but it just isn't practical, hence why I was posting here trying to find a solution to it. It gets to a point where I give up and close EL.

EDIT: I believe I have found a solution. Go into Options > Video and "Disable Gamma Adjustment" AND set "Gamma" to the lowest it can be (0.10). I have tested this twice on separate occasions and it seems to be working.

I will update the main post with this information.

Edited by Spinder