Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cyrano

Changes To Ranging

Hi everyone,

after spending another few hours in an increasingly crowded ranging arena I would like to suggest some changes to ranging. This is mainly because the ranging arena can barely cope with the current players using it & I suspect like myself many players would prefer to level ranging by doing it rather than grinding xp in the arena on RT day.

At the moment my ranging in the wild features a majority of shots with red messages, meaning I have to move, by which time the target has also moved giving another red message. I know some people pin dragons etc for training but there are a very limited number of these so it isn't a practical option for the majority in order to train.

So I would like to suggest instead of too close or too far messages the shot is taken with a penalty to hit or damage but with more xp for a successful shot. Similarily terrain such as grass (& other types) allow the shot to be taken with a penalty to hit or damage but more xp if successful. With stone walls, tree trunks or any other completely solid object the shot is taken but blocked (ie a wasted arrow/bolt), but creatures on normal maps or players (allies/neutral/enemy) on pk maps would be hit if they get in the way.

Just to clarify;

I'm not suggesting this is implemented as a package, ideas people like could be added individually & others could be replaced with more worthwhile ideas or just ditched. I don't know how complex this would be to code but it is just a suggestion, if some or all of it involves too much work to be implemented then fair enough.

You still wouldn't be able to fire once you are engaged in melee, however if not fighting then the closer the distance the bigger the penalty to hit/damage/bonus xp and the creature would automatically engage you in melee at this distance as it does now from a slightly further away.

Edited by Cyrano

id like to see this, so annoying when your ranging and the creature goes behind a small rock or big bush or something and you cant shoot it so by the time you walk around it the mob is on the other side so you got to walk around again, would be neat to shoot over it or something

Not sure if "too close situation" would be wise to change, I think this one gives good logic - what about that the target is so close that he can reach you to defend - yeah it can be busy with another attacker or tank but shooting with target at your nose isn't real shooting right ;)

Not bad idea with "No line of fire" esp. when player/monster will come to you way...

I am afraid that it would be huge change to distinguish grass or bush from total solid object - although very nice idea I like it :bow_arrow:

I'm fine with too far and too close messages - the make perfect sense, and work fine imo - but I do get annoyed when mobs hide behind stuff, so I like bush-shooting idea

I think implementing would be fine for those with good to great ranging skills but to those without losing arrows and bolts due to decreased ability to hit while still firing would be frustrating. Should be available via command like #safety off (with default being #safety on).

The 'too close' message makes no sense imo, IRL there is not such thing it is 'point blank' which offers considerable advantages two of them being; it is nyon impossible to miss a target inches from the business eng of your weaponn and second is that the target is hit with the full power of the weapon, so the archer could fire his weapon until a defence roll is made.

Also another is that th xbow isn't a viable weapon in ELn but some of the ammo has great effects (mana burn etc.) So what about making yhe Xbow be able to be loaded before hand with 5 or so shots to shoot in quick succession then have a longer reload time ~50 seconds or so before the next volley is ready

Try to fend-off someone within arm's reach with a daggar if all you have is a two-handed thing like halbert. I found those tries usually end with a death of the halbert bearer.

Edited by Elke

The 'too close' message makes no sense imo, IRL there is not such thing it is 'point blank' which offers considerable advantages two of them being; it is nyon impossible to miss a target inches from the business eng of your weaponn and second is that the target is hit with the full power of the weapon, so the archer could fire his weapon until a defence roll is made.

'Too close' is the equivelent of saying that shooting here with definetely result in the thing getting a bit mad and mauling you.. Also, think how stupid it would look having rangers at the same distance from the mob as meleers and rapidly shooting? Too close makes sense in a game, for visual and roleplaying pursposes