Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Thorus

Larger values or fractions for most astro stones

Most astro modifiers are, apparently, in the single digit range, but could we have indicator/predictor stones display large values or fractions to make it more detailed - like make rare, harvest and degrade astro stones that have 2 or 3 digits to work with?

Edited by Thorus

Indicators/predicators are not a very exact science imho. Why make it more detailed ?

So you can, eventually, produce a function that tells you your astro at any given time without astro stones?

Indicators/predicators are not a very exact science imho. Why make it more detailed ?

So you can, eventually, produce a function that tells you your astro at any given time without astro stones?

meaning ?

This has been attempted and is fairly well understood at this time :).

meaning ?

:huh: Meaning that currently it's next to impossible for most astro that is scaled and truncated to a single digit. The loss of information is just that great.

And since some posts from the time astro was first tested gave the impression that teh G0d wants us to map it out, I thought I'd just ask...

Depending on how astro is implemented exactly, fractions might not always make sense:

if e.g. A/D astro is expressed in levels, what would half a level mean?

What makes you think astro values are scaled?

It was mapped out by several people when just introduced (and mapping was free) and since then I think a few more people did it as well. A/d is percentage and thus only gives very small bonus /malus (or none) if your a/d is low.

If you have the restore spell a simple way to track astro without indicators/predicotrs is to look at the max restore values. If you dont have restore or want to map it out with higher resolution, use the fail predictos.

I still use stones to check my astro to verify where I am, since that is an easy in-game method. There are 12 signs, I know several people who have the same sign as me, and we exchange info on good/bad astrology. I think that changing name or race also changed your sign.

See http://www.el-wiki.net/Astrology for some more explanation.

What makes you think astro values are scaled?

Because astro function is a sum of co/sine waves with varying periods that individually, without scale, range [-1;1] ?

Depending on how astro is implemented exactly, fractions might not always make sense:

if e.g. A/D astro is expressed in levels, what would half a level mean?

Nothing. You would just be able to tell the periods and scales of the individual waves and reconstruct your astro function. That, however, requires values with higher precision.

you can use astronomie to figure out astro :)

sit down on a safe map every night in EL and whatch the stars and the moons ( EL has 2 moons )

write it down ... and with the rotation of EL around the sun

you could figure out the curves of your astro...just need to compare with astro by using stones...

but how does a server restart or a #reset or other changes to a toon influence that system ?

oh ... btw, i know of some ppl who tried to figure out the astro curves by writing down the astro....

never heared of one in the last years who had figured it out.

so i guess, best way would be a drawing of the EL starsystem, and like in real life plot it

and get the relations of planetes, stars, moons and sun out of it.

would be nice to have a new item... a telescope to whach the sky..

and can be an other way to spend time in game while harvesting outsite :)

only my thoughts...

ups forgott some things :

the EL time is different from real time, this might help:

http://www.eternal-lands.com/page/calendar.php

ugh, damn..there was a site of the starsigns too...but i can't find it :o

i try to add it later :)

Edited by wuffzel

oh ... btw, i know of some ppl who tried to figure out the astro curves by writing down the astro....

never heared of one in the last years who had figured it out.

atm, only rare, harvest and degrade astros are worth trying. As they're the only ones with values large enough to produce curves to start with. :dry:

I've been pretty successful with make rare and degrade.

Less with harvest, but largely because I don't care about that one...

And the single digit fail astro was exactly that - fail.