Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Making gold undropable

I was thinking about making some items, mostly newbie stuff (leather armor, iron sword, basic shields, etc.) undropable on death. The idea is that those items are very cheap, not very useful for pros, but quite important and expensive for newbies. While at it, I was thinking to make gold coins undropable as well. Most of the time people don't carry gold with them in PK areas or during training, so this won't change much. However, newbies might lose gold because they have to go through some maps to buy books, or because they forget to put it in storage.

So what do you think? Any reason against doing it?

I think these are some great ideas.

Would make the book shopping much easier for those with lower lvls and ofc all the deals that are on risky maps and ND newbie gear will hopefully make them go out and seek more adventure and try their abillities more on the creatures they see and won't have to go through the process of gathering the GC again because they lost the gear to a garg in WS or Bob in PL or just went to the wrong map while going out to explore.

@radu: I think that these are perfect changes.

@Entris: With the adjustments suggested by Radu, they won't loose anything if they happen to die. If they start getting to afford better eq, they can start with buying an mm cape/perk same as i advise all my newer guildies not to use their col without a rost.

I think it might be a nice idea.

Though the same could be achieved by different kind of rostogol stones which protect items of different "qualitiy level". Cheapest one could be really cheap, and where the very low level ones could be bought cheaply from NPC (1k?) and the highlevel ones (as now) from shop and as rare finds.

Great ideas Radu!

This will encourage exploration of PK maps by new players, and arguably, would reduce the impact of rage quit behavioural pattern subsequent to new peps being pk'ed or killed by tougher mobs while trying to buy books, do quests, etc.

Edit:

Would might increase the incidence of people casting "bones to gold spell" in pk maps. (eventually) or maybe will open up the road for a new "items to gold" spell.

Edited by Mythos

Excellent idea Radu.

@Entris: With the adjustments suggested by Radu, they won't loose anything if they happen to die. If they start getting to afford better eq, they can start with buying an mm cape/perk same as i advise all my newer guildies not to use their col without a rost.

As I said it will be better for those that goes out to explore/buy books/and what not and if they die the won't lose the gear or the GC, I assume that they will get the information about the newbie gear not being dropped and the rest can be dropped so if they pay attention the will know.

Why would this suggestion change things to "No one will inform newbies that they will drop higher lvled items if they don't have a rosto and might need MM cloak to dodge aggressive creatures if they don't have the A/D lvls for it" I have no clue..

How would this differ from just raising the level of what is considered a newbie? Perhaps level 40 they don't lose things when they die. After that you can go into instances so you better know the basics. Then you don't have to make changes to specific gear

How would this differ from just raising the level of what is considered a newbie? Perhaps level 40 they don't lose things when they die. After that you can go into instances so you better know the basics. Then you don't have to make changes to specific gear

I'm ambiguous about making all people below level XX imune to item loss. It gives them a false sense of security. And also means they can go anywhere without risking anything - that would quite lead to an imbalance. Like having your newbie guildy to scout paths in dangerous teritory etc. And at the same time they don't learn to value their life and the impact of a death ;-) But of course it tremendously helps the frustration of loosing a large amount of your assets in a single accident.

Would might increase the incidence of people casting "bones to gold spell" in pk maps. (eventually) or maybe will open up the road for a new "items to gold" spell.

Well, you can still lose the bones and essences and mana potions, so probably no.

excellent idea Radu, I have actually seen newbies quit game because of losing their gear--even sadly when I saved their bag for them they became upset upon seeing loss I guess and log out, (have known name from death message) often not to return. Although not sure this is the healthiest attitude for them as a person, it is definitely a sad thing to see them leave just because they died and lost stuff. And it would not make rostos less used as nobody uses rostos at that level.

It will not negate the real need of older, experienced players taking some time to help them learn the game and feel a part of our community however and I will always encourage us older players, including myself. to give a bit back and help the new players.

I might be in the minority with Ghrae here but i think upping the newbie lvl to 40 and keeping the rest of drops the same sounds like a better idea. With the addition of the A/D quests and dailies getting to lvl 40 now is not as hard as it used to be. Plus if when a person dies between the lvls of 0-40 they could be warned with a pop up window with a message like:

The council of mages has saved you from dropping any items this time but once you reach level 40 you will have to protect your inventory with a Rostogol Stone or risk loosing some items from your inventory.

That being said either solution is fine with me if it helps keep newer players coming back as they don't feel they loose as much when they die.

Great idea, dont see drawbacks other than all the pros starting to train in leathers ;) Will also give players an option to buy items from bots in more dangerous places, allowing them to get best price deals.

With respect to upping the level: it makes no difference at what level you set the threshold, most players dont learn it till they lose something, but it wont be nearly as upsetting if you drop the bones and furs than when you drop your newbie gear and gc.

I also like the idea of a popup, maybe starting one or a few levels before the dropping will start. No need to spam the newbies with this from the first minute.

I like this idea. What about possibly 'ramping up' drops instead of going from 0% to 50% immediately at lvl 20? Perhaps a curve, so lower level players will slowly see the increase, maybe they don't hit the full 50% death drop rate until OA 40-50? That way their first death (once it starts to matter) won't be quite so devastating, but they'll still get the message they need to be careful.

problem with that is hard to say what will drop, maybe nothing but the most important item they own. I think better to use Maxine's suggestion, a number of popups occurring upon reaching a level close to the level they will begin to lose stuff saying that if they die they will lose items after attainment of level 40 and if they have been so fortunate to have acquired any expensive gear they should consider investing in a rostogol stone to protect it and maybe state where to get one (available for purchase in shop or on many bots throughout EL) Also, RAdu, have you ever considered making first time shop buyers get a one time discount or even one free item with a first time purchase. well could be abused I suppose with people creating alts for just that purpose unless you could somehow keep it to one per ip address or credit card or whatever.....but just thought might be one idea for getting the new player to consider going to shop and purchasing once they hit that level....

I like this idea. I dont think raising the lvl for no drop will work because of the dailies. The addition of the dailies has made lvl'ing a/d really easy. Someone with 40 a/d still hasn't learned enough about combat to understand that good gear needs rosto's. At least if they don't lose there gc and newbie gear then it won't be such a big hit to them when they die.

Make gc undropable, good idea.

Making stuff at any level undropable, bad idea.

First i was thinking about a NPC which gives a certain amount of free stuff to newbies, but why make it not even easier?

Let newbies start with (or give them as a reward from the Tutorial NPC) stuff in storage, like 20 leather pants, 10 leather torsos, 5 leather helms. 5 iron swords, 5 leather boots, 3 wooden shields, 20 minor healing pots and a wooden battle hammer (that looks really cool, can you imagine newbies flattening beavers with wooden battle hammers on IP?). Maybe even add 20 bread to the storage, to please even the lazy ones, who havent found out to harvest at the veggie patch.

This way they have some armor, so losing it won't totally annoy them, some stuff to heal them, and some funny stuff, the wooden battle hammer, which looks way better than using a bone or a branch as a weapon.

Well, my 2 cents,

Piper

Edited by The_Piper

Make gc undropable, good idea.

Making stuff at any level undropable, bad idea.

First i was thinking about a NPC which gives a certain amount of free stuff to newbies, but why make it not even easier?

Let newbies start with (or give them as a reward from the Tutorial NPC) stuff in storage, like 20 leather pants, 10 leather torsos, 5 leather helms. 5 iron swords, 5 leather boots, 3 wooden shields, 20 minor healing pots and a wooden battle hammer (that looks really cool, can you imagine newbies flattening beavers with wooden battle hammers on IP?). Maybe even add 20 bread to the storage, to please even the lazy ones, who havent found out to harvest at the veggie patch.

This way they have some armor, so losing it won't totally annoy them, some stuff to heal them, and some funny stuff, the wooden battle hammer, which looks way better than using a bone or a branch as a weapon.

Well, my 2 cents,

Piper

Trouble is, they will just sell the 'surplus' armor instead of keeping it as spares.

But maybe once you are at level 40 a/d you should start to drop even newbie stuff and gc, that should be long enough to learn and then most mobs in book maps ignore you.

I do like the idea of adding a wooden battle hamer to the rewards, nice idea :)

Edited by Maxine