Eternal Lands Official Forums
Vrumfondel

Disconnect after switching to console or different xserver display

Whenever i switch to console or to a different xserver display for some time (a minute or so) i'm disconnected on returning to the display where el is running on. I'm on Gentoo Linux and this happens reproducible since i switched from my old AthlonXP/nvidia AGP to i3/hd2000. It appears as if el time stops when i switch away from the display. When switching back before the grue is kicking in i can see multiple harvesting experience animations float above the characters head and i observed the digital clock jumping ~30 seconds forward in the hud at least once.

Since this is probably a very uncommon use case i don't think that anyone is interested too much in investigating or fixing this. but i thought i'll post it nonetheless ;)

This used to happen too with my old computer on an old AGP nvidia card. It doesn't happen on my new computer with a faster nvidia card. I doubt it is EL client's fault.

It's because when you switch to console, the framerate in EL drops too low on older cards and EL lags out.

Edited by hussam

Well, to me it never happened with the old graphics card, which is way slower than the new intel graphics unit. Of course it may be related to the different driver which may just not draw anything on an inactive display, which may confuse the el client or one of the libraries which el uses. I can still hear the character walking when switched to console, but when i switch back the character is still at the location where it was when i switched away ;o

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.