Eternal Lands Official Forums
Aledezar

New Spell Ideas

I was thinking of some new spells that could be implemented to give purpose to the unused sigils, and decided to post some of the better ideas on here for consideration.

1. "Terror" (or "Fear" or whatever)

Sigils: Temporary, Destroy, Spirit

Min Magic Level: 55

Essences: 15 Death Essence, 15 Spirit Essence (these are general ideas, the main point is that it's more expensive than a dis ring)

Mana Cost: 40-50, somewhere in this range

Effect: Target monster will attempt to flee combat and become non-agressive for ~30 seconds. (Still trying to work out a formula based on mag level or something, so that those with no-fail Terror, mag 83, are the only mages who can make all mobs flee)

The basic idea for this one is to create a way to get away from a single, powerful mob more effectively that with a dis. The spell could be useful in situations when a mob "catches your dis," so to speak, and the cooldown is too long to survive. This second-chance spell obviously needs to be more expensive than dis, but powerful enough to do the job. It could also be useful on boss mobs in instances. If the group is collectively low on mana, a powerful mage (who sacrifices a decent amount of emu for the essences) casts Terror, and people have a chance to refill mana.

2. "Control Undead"

Sigils: Temporary, Move, Local, Death

Min Magic Level: 57

Essences: 10 Air Essence, 10 Spirit Essence, 10 Death essence

Mana Cost: 45

Effect: All undead creatures in a 8x8 (roughly, could be tweaked) square around the caster come under the "control" of the caster (i.e. summons) for 30 seconds.

Situations where this would be particularly helpful are invances and invasions. Taking "control" of 3 Phantom Warriors while being attacked from multiple angles could be a very effective out, given how difficult they are to hit (not to mention they are a good way of making sure your dis isn't "caught").

3. "Stone Skin" (or similar)

Sigils: Change, Matter, Earth

Min Magic Level: 60

Essences: 10 Earth, 10 Matter, 10 Energy

Mana Cost: 55

Effect: Like the shield spell, only much shorter in duration (30 seconds or so, such a drastic material change is difficult to maintain!) and gives 10 - 15 armor (again, can be tweaked).

For one, this makes determining a tank (or aiding a tank) much more straightforward. Those not wishing to draw the mobs aggression cast Stone Skin (expensive, naturally) and the fighter designated the tank will merit the mobs attention. After all are engaged, the tank may then cast this spell, if wanted, to decrease the damage a little more effectively than shield.

4. "Push"

Sigils: Create, Energy, Move, Air

Min Mag Level: 65

Essences: 10 Energy Essence, 15 Air Essences

Mana Cost: 60

Effect: All mobs in range of the spell (5x5 square around the caster, or so) are "pushed" (a la teleport to range) to outside a 10x10 square around the caster (or outside of attack range). Possibly a chance to paralyze each mob for a few seconds which increases with magic level. This paralysis could have maybe a maximum of 30-35% chance at no-fail, and a duration of 2-5 seconds.

A spell best cast while in a close group of your friends :)

I thought these could be practical and not too over-powered, but would give mages a much more practical role in large, teamwork based operations like instance and invance. I also accept that I've only been thinking over these for about an hour, and they may be crappy ideas, or just downright devilish to code, so I'm open to criticism. What do we think?

Hi there!

I really appreciate this post and believe it's fun to see the magic skill expanded with some nice new nifty spells.

Is this supposed to work only on the mobs engaged?... Then it would have indeed the same application as a diss ring, but you'd normally use the diss ring when you're low on mana, so you won't ever apply this spell for disengaging.

I think another possible implementation of a "fear/terror" spell would be, turning all monsters in a 5x5 square into "shy" for a short time, making them run away from you- before they are engaged. It wouldn't work on AI monsters and players, of course.

2. "Control Undead"

Might be hard to implement, but funny. I wonder if it could control a Lich, too ? :D

3. "Stone Skin" (or similar)

I think with a cost of 30 essies it would be useless in instances due to it's cost, but i think it's still useful in PK.

4. "Push"

Very nice, seems already pretty powerful. Should really be a high level spell with considerable cost.

I'm also thinking of some remote buff spells, with which the mage can help the party, possibly spells that affect a whole range or a whole group of friends, like remote toughness or strength boosts.

Also some nicely animated elementary spells Fire/Ice Bomb/Flash would be funky, which should be rather cheap (e.g. 3 FE, 2 WE, 3 AE and low mana) and give some special damage according to the element they are related to.

Some spells might be available to the phoenix only (provided the glyphs would become makeable in game)

Hi there!

I really appreciate this post and believe it's fun to see the magic skill expanded with some nice new nifty spells.

Is this supposed to work only on the mobs engaged?... Then it would have indeed the same application as a diss ring, but you'd normally use the diss ring when you're low on mana, so you won't ever apply this spell for disengaging.

I think another possible implementation of a "fear/terror" spell would be, turning all monsters in a 5x5 square into "shy" for a short time, making them run away from you- before they are engaged. It wouldn't work on AI monsters and players, of course.

I think Aledezar's two main points with the Fear spell were a) to have a fallback way of "getting out" when caught in dis cooldown and b ) to have the uber-mob currently tackling you "knocked out" for more than just 5 sec, thus reliably allowing you to leave that fight - at a (significantly) high(er) cost than a dis ring.

=> and since this spell was designed to be non-area-of-effect, while at the same time doing something that already exists in EL, I actually think there's not too much coding effort involved to implement this and it should (hopefuly) have a chance to be actually added to the spell portfolio *pleading look*

In other words: I strongly second the suggested ideas for new spells :icon13: - especially ideas 1 and 3 since the'd be particularily easy to implement while in my understanding being pretty well balanced on top.

Some spells might be available to the phoenix only (provided the glyphs would become makeable in game)

I do love this notion as well: The Fear could be come "Cry of Fear" (like a Nazgul's shriek in LOTR), for example, and only be able to be cast when in phoenix shape .

Edit: comment on phoenix idea

Edited by Gwaew

I agree, we do need some new spells.

Over time every skill has had new additions eccept magic, i can't recall the last time we had a new spell.

I like the ideas, would give those with mage builds the opportunity to put their power to full use ;)

Personally would love to see a new spell..

'Morph'

turns your opponent into a boar, doesn't work against MI, wouldn't that be fun :devlish:

'Morph'

turns your opponent into a boar, doesn't work against MI, wouldn't that be fun :devlish:

To be able to cast that spell, you need to read a "book of bewitchment", available only from Circe :D

These look like Dota spells.

however, i do like Stone skin, i think its a nice addition to in- vances/stances

maybe also add that while under the effect, you will aggro mobs to attack you.

Check his first skill:

but PLEASE increase the remote heal based on the same formula as harm or something!

Edited by scarr

'Morph'

To be able to cast that spell, you need to read a "book of bewitchment", available only from Circe :D

Dota sheep stick :>

Thank you all for the input :) Keep it coming!

Gwaew hit the nail on the head with my two main ideas about the Fear spell. Also, a noob 100's like myself doesn't have the luxury of saving dis rings til he's low on mana, particularly if engaged by something nasty like a Nasp or a Giant. The idea is if I'm caught by myself, I can spend a decent amount of magical effort to give myself the time to find a friend to help me take it down.

Also, the essence/mana costs and required levels are VERY preliminary, these can be tweaked as necessary. I made them mostly high cost because of how powerful they could become in certain situations, but if they can't really be abused for whatever reason, I see no reason not to lower their costs.

Also, +1 on scarr's remote heal idea. :medieval:

This post is partly a shameless bump ( :whistle:) and part an amendment to spell idea #2.

I've been thinking that instead of controlling the undead, it might be more practical (/easier to code?) to just kill the undead, so the revised spell would be something like this:

2. Banish

Sigils: Destroy, Local, Death

Min. Magic Level: 57

Essences: 10 Death Essences, 10 Energy Essences

Mana Cost: 45 (roughly)

Effect: All undead creatures in a 7x7 (ish) square around the caster are killed.

One advantage to a spell like this is to avoid the automatic damage dealt by phantom warriors sustained from killing them in melee combat. Another advantage is it's a more effective way to get ones self out of a situation in which you're being hopelessly multi'ed by pw's and, for example, a nasparliu. Taking a defense penalty for any amount of time against 145 attack is never fun, particularly if your options are 1) take down all 1200 hp from the nasp while taking def penalties due to the 3 pw's on you, or 2) focus on each of the three pw's in turn, whose high toughness and eva make killing them a guessing game. All in all, it could be worth it to spend (almost) two restores worth of mana to be able to focus purely on the big bad nasp. Especially if you're a mage (GASP) who isn't even engaged in combat (ANOTHER GASP!) who is just trying to help out a comrade in need...

Thoughts?

One additional thing which has not been touched on is use of new Sigils for new spells. A number of Sigils are sold in shop by NPCs but no spells exist for them so there must be 'lost' spells.

It would be cool to use the 2 sigils that arent yet used in game.

Edit: It seems there are 4 that we dont use yet.. not 2. oops.

Edited by WiFi

Yeah, that was mostly the point of my original post. Destroy, Death, Earth, and Air sigils seem to me like some of the most applicable sigils for a game with both offensive and defensive magic, so I included a different unused sigil in each spell i listed. Though, for sure, if I come up with any more ideas for using them, possibly together, I'll post those here as well.

I would love to see a bard spell where if you are not taking damage or fighting, allied guilds or instance/invance team members would get +4 reasoning, +4 will, +4 vitality, +4 instinct.

I would love to see a bard spell where if you are not taking damage or fighting, allied guilds or instance/invance team members would get +4 reasoning, +4 will, +4 vitality, +4 instinct.

The will would be pretty pointless.

Not totally. More ethereal points. more rationality (+4 via will and reasoning). When the bards start playing your battle tune, you get more stubborn about bashing your opponent to bits (roleplaying). Magic is stronger due to higher rationality too.

Not totally. More ethereal points. more rationality (+4 via will and reasoning). When the bards start playing your battle tune, you get more stubborn about bashing your opponent to bits (roleplaying). Magic is stronger due to higher rationality too.

Now THIS could be the beginning of some pro ideas. How about spells similar to "Berserk" spells in other games? Increase one or two attributes (or cross atts) at the penalty of one of two others? For example, Berserk would do something like: Increase Might by 10, decrease reaction by 10. Other spells could be like "Honing": Increase dexterity, decrease might, "Defender": Increase toughness, decrease dexterity... etc. Very rough ideas, but I like the concept of being able to tweak attributes temporarily with magic instead of just with pots.

Another spell I'd like to see is modified portal spell - the spell would allow you to portal from any location on map to portal location on same map. Great for when you want to get back to storage quickly from deep mines, etc. Would see it taking 4 Energy Essences, 2 Spirit Essences and 1 Matter Essences.

I think I would like to see a hellspawn/feign-death spell. Yes, using magic instead of death or perk to get into the underworld.

I think I would like to see a hellspawn/feign-death spell. Yes, using magic instead of death or perk to get into the underworld.

A portal in both portal rooms could be added to the underworld, although i dont see why anyone would want to go there.

I have another idea though, 'area effect auto snare' (i dont have a snappy name though :/ )

similar effect as the enginered snare trap but is an area effect around the caster using sigils Local, Matter, Temporary, create, no idea about ingrediant cost however, but if succesfuly cast will snare all mobs/chars for 2+ secs

-edit typo-

Edited by Rokk

A portal in both portal rooms could be added to the underworld, although i dont see why anyone would want to go there.

Underworld is great place to mix using toads. And during invasions I used to go to C2 underworld and sell stuff to people who died at UW exit since sometimes Ida was not safe to exit from especially with low hit points. There are ways to both UWs without spell.

I would love to see spells that you can not only do to yourself but to help other players ! We have Remote Heal for example , but that is for newbies. With my nearly 80 magic i heal about 25 health, that is not good for combat situations. There should be a spell for grown up mages that is way stronger !

We have many spells to hurt others like Poison, Harm, Draining Mana, Draining Life (almost never used today because it is too weak), but where are spells to help others ? Perhaps there are monster that I don't like to fight because I am too weak, but still like to help the fighters.. Maybe i could transfer my own mana to them (or life). Perhaps i can give them some extra armor ? The examples I give here are perhaps not very good. But I'm sure someone will think of something really good, so please post here.