Eternal Lands Official Forums
littlestar

After client update 1.9.3

OK here is the problem. You are fighting so most likely you're holding down your alt key, to be able to restore and/or use some other magic. Now while you're figthing and therefore holding the alt key try drinking a pot, using your mouse, you can't. Before latest client update there was no problem.

No idea if this is related to the fact that one can store stuff if your storage window is open by left clicking while holding alt. For all I know this feature might be older, no idea, found it today.

- Little

The alt-click to store is new in 1.9.3. Yes it will be while you can't use alt-click to drink a potion. Why hold down alt permanently anyway? You'll wear it out!

Edited by bluap

@bluap

So you only have to click (for example) 1 to restore (if restore is the first spell on the spellbar) instead of pressing alt+1

...saves time

When you fight something that hits you for close to 100 dmg every bit counts, so you do hold down alt, for the reason Stardark states. At the same time you are scrambling to drink your eva/def/cord etc but you can't.

- Little

Edited by littlestar

OK. I'll change it so the new "store" function only kicks in if you have the pickup cursor. I'm not sure why I didn't do that in the first place. While I'm at it (and probably why I did the alt-click the way I did) ctrl-click has the same behavour but no one ever objected. Perhaps I should change that to also only kick in with the pickup cursor?

I've committed the +alt change to git. However, to avoid objections, I've left +ctrl as it is even though it would be more consistent.

Following a discussion in this thread, this behaviour is now optional. Right-click the inventory title window and unckeck the "Alt/Ctrl-click With Any Cursor" option to make alt/ctrl click both work only if you have the Pickup/WALK cursor.

(We begin this report with a reminder that we can be very computer dense and often require someone to hold our hand if we do anything new regarding EL installations).

Yesterday evening I attempted to install Sir_Odie's El_Windows-Client. I followed the directions (download, extract, copy into the EL program(x86) Eternal Lands folder. Replacing any current files with the same name. When I attempted to run EL (desktop icon or from the program file) nothing happened.

At the suggestion of a guildy I downloaded the above file (bluap's post #10). Or rather I attempted to download it. I would get as far as 'Open' and I would get the error message 'The program can't start because SDL_image.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.'.

I did some searches and attempted to find information from the Microsoft site (always disappointing, useless and frustrating) and ended up updating DirectX and running it to 'find any errors'. Again useless.

I re downloaded a clean verson of EL (Yes, remember we ARE stuuupid and we did not back up EL. A guildy had gotten Sir_Odie's to work and we 'assumed' that it would work for us...) And moved over that SDL_image.dll file. Now the EL client would pop up for a second and then crash. Bluap's file would still not download and we got the same error message.

I am now playing from the clean install and have the Sir_Odie file saved elsewhere on the computer. Any thoughts, idea's or downright hand holding would be appreciated. Ignoring is also fine.

A guildy recommended we post. If I have this problem it is very likely that someone else has this problem, or will have it at some time in the future.

I've just checked the download I have linked above and can download the file without issues. When you download either Sir_odie's version or mine, make sure you save the downloaded file into the same directory as you originally installed EL. This will normally overwrite the original EL.exe file so either rename that before you download the new, or rename the new file as you download it. You should only need to use my version if you are running windows XP.

You should only need to use my version if you are running windows XP.

Just fyi. I'm running Windows 7 (Video card: AMD Radeon HD 5800 Series). When I installed Sir_Odie's compile a couple of months ago, EL would start. But whenever I tried to log in, it would crash. I switched to your .exe and it has worked fine since. I haven't checked back to see if odie has a later compile that I could try.

Dendar runs Sir_Odie's version fine on his machine, which is identical to mine except for video card (and ofc installed apps, which could muck something up.)

i download your compilation and have a one small problem.everytime when i change map or go inside outside of house el crash and turn off:/any idea why? Video Card ati hd4800 series 1gb 8gb ram win 7 64

Obviously nothing systematic about that build and, unfortunately, more likely to be something your side. I presume you do not have a similar problem with the current release build. I presume you have checked for updated graphics drivers and tied poorman. Do you get anything relevant in your error log or any crash message?

0 info in log seems its program crash from windows side.Its something similar like when i tried go to our guildmap when radu change something in past.and after it he meake update el.exe(www.eternal-lands.com/el.exe) and when instal it i can go to gmap.it was similar error el crash that same but when i log than i get again crash and again.....Here i get crash but i can log on. Trying poor man and other options but nothing help:/ Drivers i think i have the best for this card later drivers meakes many problems windows crash and work much slower.i read that they was bad compiled or something like that.Tomorrow i will try reinstal el and we will see whether this help.

Edited by Spidi