Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ElvishPresley

Storage Slots - A suggestion

Ok so the never ending saga of storage slots continues so I have come up with a solution. I did do a search on the subject and didn't find anything so sincere apologies if this idea has already been suggested.

Why not have a pro rata increase in storage slots that is dependent on ones OA level? We all start off at level 0 with the base storage capacity of 300 slots. A bit like when leaving home for the first time and having few possessions at first. As we go through life we end up moving to a bigger place and having more 'stuff' to store, as we do in the game.

So my suggestion is this.. for every 10 OA levels we get an extra 10 slots in our stores, up to a maximum of 470, which would be reached at OA 170. And yes i know we can get to OA 179.

Anyway, that is my suggestion and once again I apologise if this idea has already been mooted.

Peace to all.

EP

This would be much more difficult to code than just increasing it for everyone. Also, what happens if someone resets and their sto is higher than 300 slots already?

Then your storage capacity would revert to the base level of 300 slots. Storage capacity shouldn't be seen as being any different than the attributes which revert to their base level of 4 on a reset. Analogous to moving to a smaller house really.

See my reply. "Then your storage capacity would revert to the base level of 300 slots."

If you reset and have more than 300 slots worth of 'stuff' then anything over 300 will have to be sold. Your emu drops when you reset and storage slots should be no different in my opinion. And it is just my opinion, nothing more.

This would be much more difficult to code than just increasing it for everyone.

I guess that depends on the structure on the server database. If the number of slots are reflected as table fields, its not difficult to dynamically allocate how many are used, just less efficient than a structure where slots are reflected as table entries (as per 3nf). Other than that, you'd need to change the adjust the protocol used to pass data from the server to client to include the number of available slots, possibly by tacking on the value at the beginning of the STORAGE_LIST data structure.

Have to confess I like the concept of having slots dynamically allocated. Just not sure that linking it to levels is the best way to implement it. I'd suggest books might be better due to its potential as a cash sink and avoiding the 'reset issues' mentioned previously. Other than that, i'd have thought extra slots were one of those items that would be ideal for selling through the EL shop.

As new objects are added to game the number of slots should increase. Too bad there is no reliable independent rentable storage lockers. I have stuck some in hyperbags in unused houses of items I want to keep but no need for fast access like damaged weapons.

I guess that depends on the structure on the server database. If the number of slots are reflected as table fields, its not difficult to dynamically allocate how many are used, just less efficient than a structure where slots are reflected as table entries (as per 3nf). Other than that, you'd need to change the adjust the protocol used to pass data from the server to client to include the number of available slots, possibly by tacking on the value at the beginning of the STORAGE_LIST data structure.

Have to confess I like the concept of having slots dynamically allocated. Just not sure that linking it to levels is the best way to implement it. I'd suggest books might be better due to its potential as a cash sink and avoiding the 'reset issues' mentioned previously. Other than that, i'd have thought extra slots were one of those items that would be ideal for selling through the EL shop.

You're making the assumption that the EL server uses a database. It doesn't. Radu has said before that it's flat files and making the change to sto size will be difficult since he needs to modify all the files for each character's sto too. I'm assuming that since it's a flat file, that the size for the storage info is preallocated and fixed. It would be possible to use only a portion of that reserved space of course, but it does add to the complexity.

If you reset and have more than 300 slots worth of 'stuff' then anything over 300 will have to be sold. Your emu drops when you reset and storage slots should be no different in my opinion. And it is just my opinion, nothing more.

So - your current sto is 400 slots. You type #reset. Does it allow you to do it? Or does it not allow you until you reduce your sto?

If it allows you, now that your #sto is >300 slots, how are you allowed to access those slots? Are you only allowed to withdraw things until it's below 300?

If you #reset and have over 80 emu on you, you can't move until you drop things - that is how it is handled there.

How do you suggest the problem of being over slots be handled in this case? And please be much more specific than "has to be sold". Real details involving how you can take things from/put to sto in the meantime while being over.

You're making the assumption that the EL server uses a database. It doesn't. Radu has said before that it's flat files and making the change to sto size will be difficult since he needs to modify all the files for each character's sto too. I'm assuming that since it's a flat file, that the size for the storage info is preallocated and fixed. It would be possible to use only a portion of that reserved space of course, but it does add to the complexity.

The way it would probably have to be implemented would be secondary storage. He could implement a 'locker' and only be in certain areas like hazardous storage. he could even rent via shop items keys to open it.

As new objects are added to game the number of slots should increase. Too bad there is no reliable independent rentable storage lockers. I have stuck some in hyperbags in unused houses of items I want to keep but no need for fast access like damaged weapons

1. Make a bot and set it up as unblessed for a very low cost of $20 per year. [Get it hosted free, make a donation to host]

2. Have fun with a bot buying and selling and in the process you're gaining his 300 storage slots as well.

[i cant even fathom putting anything in hyperbags to keep for storage... wow!]

Interesting to know its implemented as flat files, but kind of surprising. I wonder if that arose as a distinct design choice, or simply as a result of ad-hoc coding? However, it does suggest the scale of the difficulties involved in modifying certain aspects of the game. I guess its easy enough to pack out each individual file entry with enough space to hold the maximum permitted slots, and then (as you suggest) use only a portion of that space. However, if only a minimal number of players are likely to qualify for the full allocation, its going to result in a lot of wasted space. I guess that's not a problem if there's no issue with storage capacity, but i'd agree with your point on complexity.

1. Make a bot and set it up as unblessed for a very low cost of $20 per year. [Get it hosted free, make a donation to host]

2. Have fun with a bot buying and selling and in the process you're gaining his 300 storage slots as well.

Top idea. Buying and selling is massive fun and very profitable. Edited by themuntdregger

How about an NPC with storage slots for sale. E.g. 10 more slots for 100,000gc and one scale of each kind? :)

radu already mentioned adding slots like that will probably require too much effort

Interesting to know its implemented as flat files, but kind of surprising. I wonder if that arose as a distinct design choice, or simply as a result of ad-hoc coding? However, it does suggest the scale of the difficulties involved in modifying certain aspects of the game. I guess its easy enough to pack out each individual file entry with enough space to hold the maximum permitted slots, and then (as you suggest) use only a portion of that space. However, if only a minimal number of players are likely to qualify for the full allocation, its going to result in a lot of wasted space. I guess that's not a problem if there's no issue with storage capacity, but i'd agree with your point on complexity.

Top idea. Buying and selling is massive fun and very profitable.

The game already permits "Storage"bots that are allowed in a fixed storage and can trade only with the owner of that bot. They are not logged in when not using them, No Hosting server required. They are not allowed to be a "trade" bot though. So no buying/selling

20bucks a year,

Edited by Wizzy

The game already permits "Storage"bots that are allowed in a fixed storage and can trade only with the owner of that bot. They are not logged in when not using them, No Hosting server required. They are not allowed to be a "trade" bot though. So no buying/selling

20bucks a year,

Why pay $20 and not be able to trade? Other than 'No Hosting server required" are there are any advantages? Are the number of slots the same?

20bucks a year,

Why pay $20 and not be able to trade? Other than 'No Hosting server required" are there are any advantages? Are the number of slots the same?

Because a trade bot is only allowed to storage once/week (or maybe it is two times a week)

He doesn't mean you can't trade with the storage bot, he meant you can't use it to buy/sell like the "trade" bots. Confusing, because there are two different uses of the word "trade".

That said, I don't like the bot solution. I certainly am not anxious to have to moderate the problems that will come with that and I find it unfair to have to buy the storage slots with $.

However, obviously I know the coding difficulties and issues and it's not easy, to say the least.

He doesn't mean you can't trade with the storage bot, he meant you can't use it to buy/sell like the "trade" bots. Confusing, because there are two different uses of the word "trade".

That said, I don't like the bot solution. I certainly am not anxious to have to moderate the problems that will come with that and I find it unfair to have to buy the storage slots with $.

However, obviously I know the coding difficulties and issues and it's not easy, to say the least.

Personally, i'd rather have the option to buy storage slots than no option at all. Moreover, I can't quite see how having to pay $ for extra storage could be any more unfair than charging for rostogols, bots or any other of the myriad of items available at the el shop.

Until such times as server costs are payable in gc, surely the willingness of players to pay irl $$$ for the convenience of a few extra slots, or a store bot, is something that should be applauded and encouraged ?

Edited by themuntdregger

Personally, i'd rather have the option to buy storage slots than no option at all.

Yeah, maybe. But I'd still rather put my 2 cents in as to my preference, and why, rather than let it be assumed I think the bot solution is "just as good as" or even "better" than reworking the slots. If I could do it, I would.

Moreover, I can't quite see how having to pay $ for extra storage could be any more unfair than charging for rostogols, bots or any other of the myriad of items available at the el shop.
Where have you ever seen me say I like that, either? I don't. I'd rather see things that don't affect game play for sale for $, such as houses or rooms, clothes, horses, stalls, appearance changes, etc. And I'm sure you can find where I've said as much, probably many times.

Personally, i'd rather have the option to buy storage slots than no option at all.

Yeah, maybe. But I'd still rather put my 2 cents in as to my preference, and why, rather than let it be assumed I think the bot solution is "just as good as" or even "better" than reworking the slots. If I could do it, I would.

Yes, reworking slots would seem a far better solution. I'd agree that its also prudent to avoid situations where abuse is likely.

Moreover, I can't quite see how having to pay $ for extra storage could be any more unfair than charging for rostogols, bots or any other of the myriad of items available at the el shop.

Where have you ever seen me say I like that, either? I don't. I'd rather see things that don't affect game play for sale for $, such as houses or rooms, clothes, horses, stalls, appearance changes, etc. And I'm sure you can find where I've said as much, probably many times.

I support your view when it comes to the selling anything for $$$ that significantly devalues the effort, skill and patience of the majority of other players. However, I don't agree that purchasing advantage/convenience for $$$ automatically gives rise to the latter. In the case of selling additional slots, I disagree (or at least don't see the case for suggesting) that the degree of advantage/convenience is likely to skew game-play in any material way. However, I can see how the potential revenue might assist in developing the game in any number of ways, if only to provide a clear incentive for tackling the complexity involved in reworking the slots problem.

Edited by themuntdregger