Eternal Lands Official Forums
Faxie

Make new tutorial npc quest just take 1 potion from potionschool

The new add-on to the tutorial NPC requires you to make 2 potions at potionschool (xxx and yyy). For yyy a vegetal nexus of 1 is needed. My opinion is that is too much to ask from a new player. Could this be adjusted to just the xxx, or let the potion tutorial start with potion of mana.

Edited by Vanyel
Removed the exact names of potions. Quest spoilers shouldn't be posted in forums.

If it's a "tutorial" quest designed for new players, not some potioner specific quest from some other NPC (not the newbie Tutorial NPC), then is it not better to have quests that do not require people to spend pickpoints on nexuses (which begins setting the path of their char) when they're still at the introduction part of the game? Shouldn't such quests only show different parts of EL gameplay so people can decide what they like without having to start spending pp's down a particular path?

So as a new player you take one vegetal nexus to finish tutorial, later you hear that that's bad or you feel you need that PP elsewhere..

How expensive is a nexus transfer stone?

Edit: I did the additions just now, after having done the rest earlier, so I don't know if the tutorial NPC says the two additions are optional. I didn't notice anything like that in the texts, so adding that in the NPC text might make it clearer that you're totally free to stop before you have to take the nexus

Edited by revi

It really does make a difference...

Elaborate.

So as a new player you take one vegetal nexus to finish tutorial, later you hear that that's bad [...]

Wtf is bad about it?

It is 3 usd. You could have at least looked at the shop page...

Edit: I did the additions just now, after having done the rest earlier, so I don't know if the tutorial NPC says the two additions are optional. I didn't notice anything like that in the texts, so adding that in the NPC text might make it clearer that you're totally free to stop before you have to take the nexus

So you see a notice on your window telling you not to jump through it?

It really does make a difference...

Elaborate.

So as a new player you take one vegetal nexus to finish tutorial, later you hear that that's bad [...]

Wtf is bad about it?

It is 3 usd. You could have at least looked at the shop page...

So you see a notice on your window telling you not to jump through it?

I see I should have put in <irony> markers... And the final suggestion just that, a suggestion in case something should be changed (though I have no idea why anything should be changed)

FWIW, I didn't say it's bad to take a nexus, some others here did

Well a nexus does make a difference because further down the line it will take many many hours of grinding for exp, or ~600k of hydro bars to get another one, or ~700k to remove one. That is a "big deal"

just transfer the nexus.. it is not expensive.. I did the tutorial. i just bought 2 nexus transfer stones. Transferred 1 magic nexus over to vegetal.. did the tutorial. got nice exp. then transferred the nexus back to magic.. Took 6 bucks... people waste more money that that in a day just on coffee and soft drinks.. not a big deal.

I personally don't think rl $ should be required for playing or factored into deciding what are good/bad decisions for newbies.

And if a newbie is advised to do something by a tutorial, most likely he/she will do it.

Maybe a message that this is hard to undo later and it is not necessary (ie you can make some basic potions without it).

After making basic potions to level 20, I am thrilled I have wasted no pp's on vegetal. I can't stand potion making and would not have known that early on.

Well, i think you'll find out a LOT sooner then on some uber high OA that you need/want to remove it, so a #reset will be not a big deal.

Almost everybody on his/hers first char makes at least one #reset ...

tbh I dont know how you guys manage *without* a few veg nexus, it must be a royal pain in the u-know-what to not even be able to mix up a few SR's :)

By the time the newbie has got through the tutorial they should have some idea how to play the pp's, and at least now it is possible to remove/transfer them with stones.

In early EL, you couldnt take off anything without a reset, you got it good already you just dont know it lol :D

you shouldn't HAVE to reset or buy transfer stones because of a tutorial quest.

I was even specifically told, when writing a sample tutorial quest for the 'contest' that was run awhile ago, not to make any of the stages need anything like pick points or nexus.

Getting rid of a nexus you don't want is a big deal. Someone who actually plays knows that 100%.

New pl coming into this game do worst things than putting 1 pp to vegetal, eventually if they stay and see how the system works, they reset :P so 1 veg nexus is not that bad

I personally don't think rl $ should be required for playing or factored into deciding what are good/bad decisions for newbies.

And if a newbie is advised to do something by a tutorial, most likely he/she will do it.

Maybe a message that this is hard to undo later and it is not necessary (ie you can make some basic potions without it).

After making basic potions to level 20, I am thrilled I have wasted no pp's on vegetal. I can't stand potion making and would not have known that early on.

My post was holding to the thought of this as an optional tutorial task. So no one 'has' to pay RL $$ for it.

Also, I honestly think that the main motivation behind the OP is not a concern for new players. I feel like the OP just wants to do the quest but doesn't want to do what it takes to get a vegetal nexus. There may be some posts in this thread where they really think it is too much for a newb.. I just doubt the motives of the OP.

So, just to clarify, my comment was in light of it being an optional task, and mostly directed at older players. I don't expect new players to invest money that quickly for something they don't even understand.

Edited by Affliction

You do have to pay rl $ to remove it if you don't like it, or work awfully hard and long to earn it within the game.

That said, the original poster has a valid point. Why do you assume, and publicly so, he's being disingenuous?

You do have to pay rl $ to remove it if you don't like it, or work awfully hard and long to earn it within the game.

I am thinking along the lines of what some other people wrote in this thread. As a newb, it is not a big deal to do 1 reset early on. Many do this. An older player will only 'have' to pay money or work awfully hard and long to earn it in game if they chose to do this 'optional' task. Since it is optional, and you will get the achievement for the tutorial without doing this, then no one is being forced to get a vegetal nexus. Therefore no one 'has' to do anything about it, such as paying to get it removed or working hard to remove it. My comment about paying RL $$ is simply an (in my opinion) easy way of doing this optional mission without killing yourself in game to get a OA for a pp, then getting a nexus removal.

That said, the original poster has a valid point. Why do you assume, and publicly so, he's being disingenuous?

As long as you can get the achievement for the tutorial without having to do these 'optional' tasks. I don't think this is a big deal. Whether the OP has a valid point or not, I just disagree on this point. I have 2 chars. On one I decided to do the quest, on the other i have not done either of the new tutorials, nor will I ever as far as i am concerned. I have that choice, and so does everyone else.

As far as the OP being disingenuous, I just get that feeling from the post. If he want's to defend his intentions he can, I just doubt them. That is all.

This is not labeled as an "Optional Task" though. It's labeled as a "Tutorial". Newer players will view it as a good idea, if not required.

You can't really use yourself as a good example of making an educated decision on whether or not to do this "Tutorial". You are not a newbie player. You have the advantage of hindsight to base your decision on.

Why does the original poster have to defend himself to you?

This is not labeled as an "Optional Task" though. It's labeled as a "Tutorial". Newer players will view it as a good idea, if not required.

You can't really use yourself as a good example of making an educated decision on whether or not to do this "Tutorial". You are not a newbie player. You have the advantage of hindsight to base your decision on.

Why does the original poster have to defend himself to you?

I'm all for making it more clear that it is optional. My only issue is if it is really all that bad for newbs to take a vegetal nexus or not.

The original poster doesn't have to defend himself. I was just making a point. Surely you have doubted peoples intentions before? I have no issue with the original poster, no beef, no grudge, nothing. I simply doubt his motives. I don't think it's bad or wrong for me to do that.

Sure I've doubted people. But I don't say it publicly unless I have proof and it's tied to a job I'm doing, namely moderating in EL.

I question your motive in coming back and spamming all over forums with your opinions and suggestions, at least one of which already exists (which a little more reading and a little less talking would have let you discover).

*shrugs* It works both ways.

Sure I've doubted people. But I don't say it publicly unless I have proof and it's tied to a job I'm doing, namely moderating in EL.

I question your motive in coming back and spamming all over forums with your opinions and suggestions, at least one of which already exists (which a little more reading and a little less talking would have let you discover).

*shrugs* It works both ways.

And you are free to question my motives. It doesn't make you a bad person, doesn't make me one either. Though, I wonder what motive I could possibly have for coming back to a game I always enjoyed and investing myself in it.. hmm.. seems dark and mysterious.. (note the sarcasm) but this is not the place for this discussion.

We can only guess at Radu’s intention of the reason why it is needed, perhaps it is not at all about finding and visiting a potion school and doing the task, perhaps it’s a subtle tutorial nudge that spending pickpoints also into nexus are required to progress yourself in a skill in this game.

We can also only guess which % of players have had already a vegetal nexus of 1 or more before this tutorial add on quest was implemented, only Radu would know and he does not strike me as a person who does implement his ideas not carefully and well intended.

hello :)

well im at OA 139 with vegal 0 ;) im more an alch and crafter..

but yes, spending 1 pp isn't that bad for new chars i think,

maybe i would do a bit more potions today if i had a vegal 1 at start :)

only my thoughts