Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Engore

Disconnected from server!

Guest Engore

I just downloaded this at my university and it won't let me connect. After talking in IRC for a bit it was said that my university probably blocks port 2000. Just posting to make sure I can't do anything else to try.

I went to my firewall and set inbound/outbound rules to let 2000 port in/out. I was told to ping game.eternal-lands.com and it pinged fine.

Any suggestions would be awesome.

Thanks

Pinging game.eternal-lands.com won't actually test connection on port 2000 as it uses ICMP.

It's useful for testing that you can talk to the server at all, but that's about as far as you'll get with that.

To test communications on a particular port you can use telnet on the commandline like so:

telnet game.eternal-lands.com 2000

this should hopefully give you something along the lines of:

u☺♥ÉHi, and welcome to Eternal Lands! If you're new to the game and need help, please read the newbie helper guides on the main website. If you would rather learn by doing, talk to the Tutorial NPC, which is at the start point. In addition to that, you can type #help_me and your question to get a live response if there are helpers online. Click on the screen to continue!

<~░¥5

If you get that, you should be sorted.

However if you get something along the lines of:

Connecting To game.eternal-lands.com...Could not open connection to the host, on port 2000: Connect failed

...it's likely that there is indeed some restriction in place on port 2000.

Edited by tork_unib

Guest Engore

It seems they block all traffic coming into their network.

All Outside traffic coming into our network is blocked, unless an exception has been made in our firewall for a specific program/reason. What do you need skinny opened up for?

The email i got this morning from a network admin. I replied with it's just a game but I doubt they open a port for that reason.

A nice fellow in the IRC told me to do telnet command but it just said the command wasn't recognized. (I'm on windows 7 if it doesn't let you use that command)

To the proxy: I'm not sure it would be a good idea to do that. I would assume they could detect that easily? Probably get a fine or punishment for that. Don't really want to pay a fine nor lose my tuition and crap.

Guest Engore

I don't see an edit post option for guests so I'm just replying here with some more information. I got an email back from the network admin that said since it's a video game it isn't being blocked by their firewall. So I guess it's still my PC doing it. Any more help would be sweet. Command prompt still won't run telnet command so if there is some other command to use on windows 7 let me know.

Thanks.

Guest Engore

I found out that windows 7 has telnet off by default. I turned it on and enter "telnet game.eternal-lands.com 2000"

IoGn4

The results where:

OmxbF

After that screen it just goes back too

VS9CB

Thanks

I still suspect the network is blocking you, in spite of what the admin said. Did you ask him if they are blocking port 2000 connections? The fact that it is a video game does not imply that it uses a specific port. Try telnet to port 2001 (test server) instead of 2000. If that does work, then port 2000 is blocked and I would ask the admin specifically about the port.

Good luck.

Guest Engore

I asked this originally:

I'm wondering if port 2000 is blocked. If so, do you do anything special for students to use it if they wish?

With a response:

All Outside traffic coming into our network is blocked, unless an exception has been made in our firewall for a specific program/reason. What do you need skinny opened up for?

After I said it was a video game i got this:

Ah…Since it is a video game, your PC generates the request thus allowing it back through our firewall. So from a gaming standpoint, this isn’t being blocked by our networking equipment. Is this a PC or console game? And which game, out of curiosity? I’ll try and look into it a little more and see if I can help you troubleshoot this.

When I did a port 2001 it gave me this

Rh452

and

GtGI4

That is the welcome you get from the test server!

To check - make a copy of the el.exe shortcut and add <space>test to the end - that should connect and let you create a char there.

ie change the target to be - "C:\Program Files (x86)\Eternal Lands\el.exe" test

So port 2001 is open port 2000 is blocked.

It seems in fact that port 2000 is redirected to some where else. I have seen this before. Unless you can get the outbound connection to be opened - then you will need a proxy. Nothing wrong or illegal about it - but there is a cost.

It sounds like you have a helpful net admin guy. If you are able to login to the test server - send him an email along the lines of..

The server has a live and test server - the live uses port 2000, the test 2001. I am able to connect to the test - but not the live. Any chance that the outbound port 2000 is being blocked - rerouted?

i wonder how much longer we have to watch person after person with this issue before radu changes the standard port to something that wasn't once used by a trojan/worm :P ... not to mention that port 2000 is officially registered with IANA as being for Cisco SCCP.

Guest Engore

@Raz: Thanks for the reply. I sent an email along those lines. If I knew how to proxy I'd try that but probably too much for an r-tard like myself.

I'll keep trying to figure it out with the net admin until they tell me they won't change the port haha. Thanks for all the replies guys <3 also the people in IRC who have been helping when they can!

Guest Engore

Hey guys just wanted to let you know it seems to be working. Thanks for the suggestion on what to tell the admin here. Seems to have worked. Just logged on a minute ago and played around! Thanks!

Hey guys just wanted to let you know it seems to be working. Thanks for the suggestion on what to tell the admin here. Seems to have worked. Just logged on a minute ago and played around! Thanks!

Drats! Another sale lost!

Seriously, congratulations!!

i wonder how much longer we have to watch person after person with this issue before radu changes the standard port to something that wasn't once used by a trojan/worm :P ... not to mention that port 2000 is officially registered with IANA as being for Cisco SCCP.

Oh that explains why most mobile providers block this port and will unlikely unblock it.

Skinny Client Control Protocol (SCCP) is a Cisco proprietary protocol used between Cisco Call Manager and Cisco VOIP phones.

Guest Silenced
1 hour ago, Guest Silenced said:

happened again! 

Silenced

Logged onto phone and now  I can't on pc when i got to work?? 

ALL THESE GL ARB AND GL EXT IS FOUND USING IT..

THEN 2 AT VERY BOTTOM... GL EXT- FOG COORD EXT NO USING IT...AND GLARB RECTANGLE EXT. NOT USING . ?????

Those are open gl messages, there is another reason why you are not connecting

can you make a hot spot on your phone and try connecting through it?

Wiz

It might be that your workplace is blocking a lot of (outgoing) traffic, for several reasons.

And the port used by EL is often blocked.

As for the GL_ARB*** and GL_EXT*** stuff, that's information about what your graphics card supports

and what EL can used. As Wizzy said, it has nothing to do with you connecting to the server.

Most phones nowadays have the possibility to function as a modem for your PC, either by setting them

up as a WIFI hotspot (phone connects to the internet, PC connects to the phone through WIFI, requires

you to register the phone as a WIFI hotspot on your PC) or through an USB cable (may also require some

setup on the PC). Sorry, precise instructions would depend on your phone and PC OS, and I have no idea

how to do that on windows.

And I wouldn't recommend that kind of thing on a PC at work anyway: IT services don't like the users messing

with the systems, Even if you have enough access to do it, violating the IT charter of your employer can get

you fired (even over here).

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this