Eternal Lands Official Forums
hobobob38

Bigger Channel Limit

I was just thinking it would be nice to be able to be in more than 3 channels at once. Can't really think of how to explain this any further so any other ideas people have would be great. (did a search and found nothing like this)

Yeah, I agree. I find it hard to have ch6 open/invance channel/market channel and possibly guild/others open all at the same time during peak hours of the day...

Should be an option in the HUD or smth to allow you change it like quickslots ect.

Yeah, i've heard this idea shot down in the past because some people would find it too spammy. Which doesn't really make sense, i mean you don't *have* to be in more than three channels

Was thinking to same the other day... after all these years we're still on 3 channels >.> it's not enough. I have 2 private channel, and would like to be in @1, @3, and @6...

And neither is the amount of buddies we're limited to. THAT could easily be fixed and have a file in the game directory that lists buddies, so it's not storing on the server. :/

Edited by Lexi

Was thinking to same the other day... after all these years we're still on 3 channels >.> it's not enough. I have 2 private channel, and would like to be in @1, @3, and @6...

6 is the devils chan.

6 is the devils chan.

Radu can be bad man but i don't know if "devil" is really fair. :>

And neither is the amount of buddies we're limited to. THAT could easily be fixed and have a file in the game directory that lists buddies, so it's not storing on the server. :/

The server still needs to send you updates about who logged in/out, so a local buddy list file would be worthless.

I wonder if Radu would complain about the extra bandwidth required. Of course, if people find it spammy, they would probably leave one channel and then require less bandwidth. There is still a problem of afkers taking up extra bandwidth when the conversations pick up on their channels. Eh. Just something I was thinking might affect the decision. Of course, it would have to do with both a client and server update too, most likely.

I would think that would really only matter if someone was on multiple channels with as much chat as channel 6 on a busy day...not sure how likely that is.

Something else I was thinking of. If the channel limit was bigger than 3 maybe we could successfully separate parts of channels that people complain about, like make a pk flame channel so it isn't all in channel 6.

[...] separate parts of channels that people complain about, like make a pk flame channel so it isn't all in channel 6.

This wouldn't work, since people tend to gravitate towards the channel with the most action, unless they have a special mission (e.g. market/helping)

If people weren't limited to 3 channels there would be more chance of someone going to a different channel like that. You wouldn't have to choose between which 3 channels to be in.

+market, +ch6, +guild channel... i used to go to channel 2 to answer some stuff, but almost impossible now.

Edited by Lorck

If there are going to be changes made anyway, would it be possible to add some colours to the different channels to help

distinguish them better?

Atm, the active channel is white, the others grey (with some extra colours in the text).

As nowadays full colour is the standard, could we get more shades of gray for the header part of the line ('[XXX @ N°: ')?

I suggest shades of gray to keep it visually as quiet as possible, and to avoid mixing things up between different types

of messages (orange, red, blue are already used, with a few others). The exact choices will ofc depend on the max. number

of channels that will be possible (even though there are theoretically 256 shades available, I'm not sure anyone will see

the difference between gray 125 and gray 126...)

Edited by revi

+market, +ch6, +guild channel... i used to go to channel 2 to answer some stuff, but almost impossible now.

Exactly.

I'm running into the same problem, different channel necessities, but I need to be in more than 3 at one time, or at least have the ability to jump to another channel when there's a problem without having to sacrifice the ones I'm in. The channel restriction is even worse now with running the invances since I'm forced into @6.

I'm not happy that good helpers are forced out of the help channels so they can do invances and instances, or even be in a guild channel. I had to give up @guild which I'm not happy with at all.

If he had more channels then we could even afford to take the rants out of channel 6 and put them in channel 20 or some other channel and the mods could keep people talking about the correct things when they want to enforce topics.

We could even have a special "Radu's rants" channel.

Yes, please. I'd love to have at least 4 channels (preferably 5, but that's just me).

:icon13:

and btw, why the channels are limited to 3 ? is there a security/limited coding issue ? maybe there is a good reason to not have more than 3 channels open ?