Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Choris

Hellspawn perk

The hellspawn perk does not do what its description (at the Wraith) says it does.

Wraith's description:

Hellspawn: Each time you go to a new map and/or enter/exit a building, you have a 20% chance of going to hell/underworld (without losing any items). Cost: -10 points

In reality, hellspawn also triggers when you use or use with a ladder/door/any other item that takes you somewhere else on the same map, which the description does not tell you.

Examples of such places: ladders in Bethel and at White Stone summoning arena, Melinis city gates, many doors/cave entrances in inside places and caves.

Either some code needs to be added to check if you're not actually changing maps, or the description needs to be changed to reflect how the perk really works.

Edited by Choris

The hellspawn perk does not do what its description (at the Wraith) says it does.

Wraith's description:

Hellspawn: Each time you go to a new map and/or enter/exit a building, you have a 20% chance of going to hell/underworld (without losing any items). Cost: -10 points

In reality, hellspawn also triggers when you use or use with a ladder/door/any other item that takes you somewhere else on the same map, which the description does not tell you.

Examples of such places: ladders in Bethel and at White Stone summoning arena, Melinis city gates, many doors/cave entrances in inside places and caves.

Either some code needs to be added to check if you're not actually changing maps, or the description needs to be changed to reflect how the perk really works.

I'm not talking about, say, going from Votd outside map (map5nf.elm) to inside a house, in the inside map (map5nf_insides.elm); that clearly is a change to a different map.

What I'm talking about is, for example, the ladders in Bethel, climbing up or down the ladder but staying on the same map (cont2map2.elm) still triggers Hellspawn.

Edited by Choris

I'm not talking about, say, going from Votd outside map (map5nf.elm) to inside a house, in the inside map (map5nf_insides.elm); that clearly is a change to a different map.

What I'm talking about is, for example, the ladders in Bethel, climbing up or down the ladder but staying on the same map (cont2map2.elm) still triggers Hellspawn.

When you use a ladder, even staying on the same map, it is still considered going to a new map by the server.

When you use a ladder, even staying on the same map, it is still considered going to a new map by the server.

Yes, I knew this already; having worked on the Bethel .def files, the ladders indeed required the map ID to be specified too, which would hint that the server treats them no different than actual map changes.

But the perk description does not say this, only entering a new map and entering/exiting a building is mentioned.

A better description would be something like: "Every time you use a map object to go somewhere (even within the same map), you have a 20% chance to go to underworld instead."

EDIT: And of course I can't imagine it being too hard to 'fix' the perk either, by adding a check if the new mapID is the same as your mapID before using the ladder.

Edited by Choris