Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Pyewacket

Client crashed twice during invasion

Hi, Just been pointed here after dying twice in the invasion on 30th june 2011, both times due to client crashing out midfight.

The first time in Emerald Valley, I had a red dot approach me on the minimap but no visible creature onscreen that i saw, i attempted to move to see it but it was already apparently attacking me, since i got the You cannot move message, and although i didnt get chance to restore or even see a loss of health before the client crashed out, I still did not see any creature onscreen.

When I logged back in, obviously because of the crash, there was no addition to my death counters to confirm what had caused the crash/killed me.

Off I went to sedicolis instead, anyway, and started to fight a forest chim. A new red dot appeared on my minimap midfight, and once again the client crashed, this time while i was fighting the chim.

Again, logged in back in hell.

I suspect the issue may have been a red dragon in both cases, but cannot confirm either one, since it is a Portals invasion so no way of knowing for sure. The only other person who can/could confirm what killed me the first time is Blake, who was near enough onscreen for me to see when i died. However, I have yet to get him to answer his PM's since he is probably still a little busy fighting in the invasion at the time of this post.

More than happy to provide any logs asked for to help sort this issue out, just give me directions where to find them and which bits need posting. I realise there are previous threads relating to Dragon animation issues, but since theyre for prior client releases, figured a new thread would be better for this version of the client, on the off chance others end up having similar issues with it.

For the record, I am using Windows OS, with Poorman graphics options (due to laptop overheat problems lately, warm weather related).

This is why we release the clients earlier than the update, so that people can test them..

Anyway, I never heard of this bug before. Did you check your error logs for problems? Like missing dragon meshes or whatever.

I missed the opportunity to test prior to the update release, having only just returned to playing the game.

I have looked through the error log, there doesnt appear to be any mention of the dragon meshes, this is the last few lines of the log, but bear in mind I came back ingame after the previously posted crashes and played for a while longer, just not as part of the invasion:

[23:27:10] Too much commands in the queue for actor 2199 (Female Orc) => skip emotes!

[23:27:10] Unable to add command 23 - 2202

[23:27:10] Unable to add command 25 - 2199

[23:27:10] Unable to add command 24 - 2202

[23:27:10] Unable to add command 24 - 2199

[23:27:10] Unable to add command 24 - 2199

[00:39:31] Client closed

Xaphier has contacted me ingame, we are going to go on the test server at some point today when we're both on, and see if we can recreate the conditions of the crash, and work out whats wrong from there.

I have now been on the test server and confirmed it is NOT red dragons thats an issue with my client. However, during an Instance, when we got to the Nasparliu part, those things DID make me repeatedly crash my client. It appears theyve had an overhaul of mesh and something to do with that doesnt agree with my client. Because it was an instance and all, I neglected to copy my logs for this period, too busy trying to get back ingame and help my team at the time.

Since Nasparliu are in instances and also many mod controlled invasions, I will not be able to participate in either until I figure out some way to stop the client crashes. On the bright side, I wont use/need as many rostogol stones either. Not quite the silver lining I would prefer, so I will try a full uninstall/reinstall to see if that fixes the issue, just not quite sure how to test if its fixed afterwards.

Any suggestions welcome, meantime.

After uninstalling, be sure to go and manually check that the EL data folder (on windows, usually C:\Program Files\Eternal Lands) is completely gone, and if it's not, manually delete it yourself.

To be extra cautious you could also backup your My Documents\Eternal Lands folder and then delete it too. It will mean setting up the client options to your liking from scratch, but worth it to be sure.