Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

For people with problems with version 1.9.2

Read VERY carefully, if you don't then I will delete your post.

If you have problems with version 1.9.2 please post the following information:

1. OS

2. Video card info and possibly OpenGL version.

3. Do you have the latest video driver version? If so, how do you know that?

4. Describe exactly how did you install the update. Did you install it in the EL folder or somewhere else?

5. When the program crashes, click on "details" or whatever option you have to see more info. Then it will say something along the lines: "program crashed in el.exe" or that it crashed in some .dll, like ntdll or nvogl, etc. Please post where it crashed.

6. Are you sure you switched to "poor man" in the troubleshooting window? At the startup screen, go to the settings, then enable "poor man" in the troubleshooting window. Close the client, then restart it.

1.I have Windows XP.

2.Video card: RADEON 9200SE DDR x86/MMX/3DNow!/SSE

Vendor ID: ATI Technologies Inc.

OpenGL Version: 1.3.3966 WinXP Release

3. Yes, i have latest video driver version.Because there are no newer drivers for my card than the ones that I have...

4.I install the Update to my EL folder - where game is installed.

5.Signature Error AppName: el.exe ModName: atioglxx.dll

6. Yes, i switched the "poor man" option in Troubleshooting window and still the same error.

I am in total unplayable territory.

Machines is Debian lenny linux 64 bit

Graphics is Nvidia chipset. Not sure what level the drivers are..but they were latest when I installed em about 6 months ago.

General affect is that screen rendering is broken..

--all the nice pretty fuzzy colors come up as huge blocks,.

--my CPU is maxed out and with 'poor man' all characters are dead white, with poor man disabled

--FPS down in the teens from about 55+

see here for general effect

www.templar.co.uk/downloads/Screenshot.png

Startup screen appears to be finding most of the open GL components,and says its using them.

I will check to see if later Nvidia drivers exist.

Graphics is Nvidia chipset. Not sure what level the drivers are..but they were latest when I installed em about 6 months ago.

--my CPU is maxed out and with 'poor man' all characters are dead white, with poor man disabled

Startup screen appears to be finding most of the open GL components,and says its using them.

Please post the first 3 lines of #glinfo output.

Supported extensions: GL_ARB_blend_func_extended GL_ARB_color_buffer_float GL_ARB_compatibility GL_ARB_copy_buffer GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float GL_ARB_depth_clamp GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_draw_buffers GL_ARB_draw_buffers_blend GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex GL_ARB_draw_instanced GL_ARB_ES2_compatibility GL_ARB_explicit_attrib_location GL_ARB_fragment_coord_conventions

I've upgraded to lastest Nvidia drivers (275.09.07), and killed the program that was screwing my CPU - not EL related.

It looks like there is some issue with transparency here.

Stuff that should allow things to show through, aint!

Hence black boxes round a lot of stuff.

Not sure why that makes hair and shirts white...

Creatures render OK.

Oh. In error log I get this

native_blitbuffer: select error occured

Edited by itzman

Supported extensions: GL_ARB_blend_func_extended GL_ARB_color_buffer_float GL_ARB_compatibility GL_ARB_copy_buffer GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float GL_ARB_depth_clamp GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_draw_buffers GL_ARB_draw_buffers_blend GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex GL_ARB_draw_instanced GL_ARB_ES2_compatibility GL_ARB_explicit_attrib_location GL_ARB_fragment_coord_conventions

err that's not the first 3 lines, the first 3 lines will look something like this:

Video card: GeForce GTX 460 SE/PCI/SSE2
Vendor ID: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL Version: 4.1.0 NVIDIA 275.09.07

Just wanna get this to note your OpenGL version and just to 100% confirm the nvidia proprietary renderer is being used.

Have you tried turning off the animation program? (options -> video -> use animation program)

Also, where do you obtain the EL data and binary from? the download from the EL site? or through bluap's debian repo?

Please check if #data_dir in your el.ini in ~/.elc/main folder points to the folder where you installed the new client. The effects you describe sound like you are using old data files with the new client.

Please check if #data_dir in your el.ini in ~/.elc/main folder points to the folder where you installed the new client. The effects you describe sound like you are using old data files with the new client.

OK. MANY of the problems have gone by taking stuff from the FULL new installation and stamping over the old directories. Why the update did not do that, I do not know.

I now have clothing and hair back, eye candy works, no black borders round text.. but all players are lacking feet now. Boots? don't exist in my game!

Also the squares on the board are still showing black..

Now I get errors from elconfig - should el.ini have been replaced?

e.g.

::::::::::::::

main_cb0b2720.log

[22:32:39, engine/logging.cpp:301] Log started at: Mon Jun 20 22:32:39 2011 BST

[22:32:39, engine/logging.cpp:304] version: 1.9.2

[22:32:39, elconfig.c:1460] Error: Can't find var 'server_address= game.eternal-lands.com', type 2

[22:32:39, elconfig.c:1460] Error: Can't find var 'server_port= 2001 ', type 2

[22:32:39, elconfig.c:1460] Error: Can't find var 'use_vertex_array= 1', type 2

[22:32:39, elconfig.c:1460] Error: Can't find var 'use_mipmaps= 0 ', type 2

[22:32:39, elconfig.c:1460] Error: Can't find var 'text_filter_replace= smeg', type 2

[22:32:39, elconfig.c:1460] Error: Can't find var 'compass_north= 1 ', type 2

[22:32:39, elconfig.c:1460] Error: Can't find var 'near_plane= 0.1 ', type 2

[22:32:39, elconfig.c:1460] Error: Can't find var 'transparency_resolution_fix= 0', type 2

Sorry about glinfo

it should have said

Video card: GeForce 210/PCI/SSE2

OpenGL Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 275.09.07

data downloaded straight from el site.

I am going to see if anything exists in the update that isn't in the main 1.9.2 release..i.e. install the update over what I now have.

Edited by itzman

OK. MANY of the problems have gone by taking stuff from the FULL new installation and stamping over the old directories. Why the update did not do that, I do not know.

I now have clothing and hair back, eye candy works, no black borders round text.. but all players are lacking feet now. Boots? don't exist in my game!

Also the squares on the board are still showing black..

Now I get errors from elconfig - should el.ini have been replaced?

e.g.

main_cb0b2720.log

[22:32:39, elconfig.c:1460] Error: Can't find var 'server_address= game.eternal-lands.com', type 2

[22:32:39, elconfig.c:1460] Error: Can't find var 'text_filter_replace= smeg', type 2

[22:32:39, elconfig.c:1460] Error: Can't find var 'transparency_resolution_fix= 0', type 2

Sorry about glinfo

it should have said

Video card: GeForce 210/PCI/SSE2

OpenGL Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 275.09.07

data downloaded straight from el site.

I am going to see if anything exists in the update that isn't in the main 1.9.2 release..i.e. install the update over what I now have.

OK..Ive reinstalled everything, and its still the same No one has any legs below the knees, and ther are black squares round bits of the board.

Otherwise all is working..

I am going to have a final stab at deleting the entire directory and reinstalling just in case.

RIGHT. I deleted the whole ***Ing lot and NOW the 1.9.2 client full install works.

Probably no sounds music or bloodsucker apps..but that's soon fixed.

Final update.

it seems that if the update does not work, deleting everything except your ~/.elc directory and installing full client is a way to go.

You will need to reinstall music and souns, if you want them, and any extras you may have added like bloodsucker maps. Also you will need the later versions of these. (DDS) old maps wont work

Also for those that don't have ogg sound as native, and get errors opening /dev/dsp/ the same fix still work.. /use aoss as a wrapper.

Edited by itzman

The update works very well, if you do it properly...

I am sure it does, if by 'properly' you means the way it worked on some developers setup, and not the general case. ;-)

I extracted the archive over a working 1.9.1 setup, and it fell to pieces.

Obviously, it didn't actually delete something it should have done. Which possibly wasn't present in the developers setup.

BTW I am still getting all these

But the game plays, though I haven't had a chance to play it.

Edited by itzman

I am sure it does, if by 'properly' you means the way it worked on some developers setup, and not the general case. ;-)

On linux, the "general case" is to remove all (non-user configuration) files related to the previous version of software before installing a new version.

This sort of thing is why every single package management system (well, that I've ever seen - pacman, dpkg/apt(deb), yum(rpm), etc.) all do this when they 'upgrade' a package.

EDIT: You could also check if bluap is still supporting Lenny in his Debian repo, and use that instead, for more painless upgrading.

Edited by Korrode

For all effects, see new screenshot - eye candy is rubbish as well.

http://www.templar.co.uk/downloads/Screenshot1.png

Happy to test any patches you make.

That is exactly what I had. http://img.flashtux.org/img132dd1736d23xdb33c262.png

What fixed it:

1. The line (line #244 in mine) in your el.ini looks something like this:

#data_dir= "/home/sb/newel_linux"

I had made a copy of my working el_linux 1.9.1 to install the update in and named it newel_linux. Make sure if you did something like this, your #data_dir line is showing the correct path to the copy of the directory (folder) you are updating, not the old one.

2. There are two el.ini files. One in ~/.elc/main/el.ini and one in ~/el_linux/el.ini. Edit the one in .elc. The one in .elc is the one being read. Ignore the one in /el_linux. (I'd like to see the one in /el_linux renamed to el.ini.default or el.ini.startup or something if possible. As far as I know, it's only used once to initially start the client the first time you install the game?)

+1 on Aisy's suggestion to have the el.ini in the 'system' area renamed to el.ini.defaults or something, as all it's used for is the initial creation of the one in ~/.elc (My Documents\Eternal Lands on windows) and then it doesn't do anything, and would just create confusion for people being instructed to modify el.ini.

On linux, the "general case" is to remove all (non-user configuration) files related to the previous version of software before installing a new version.

This sort of thing is why every single package management system (well, that I've ever seen - pacman, dpkg/apt(deb), yum(rpm), etc.) all do this when they 'upgrade' a package.

EDIT: You could also check if bluap is still supporting Lenny in his Debian repo, and use that instead, for more painless upgrading.

Er no. That's a reinstall/ Not an upgrade. If the answer was to simply remove everything and reinstall - which I ended up doing - why bother with an upgrade package?

Upgrading normally intelligently upgrades what needs to be upgraded and leaves what does not, alone.

Er no. That's a reinstall/ Not an upgrade. If the answer was to simply remove everything and reinstall - which I ended up doing - why bother with an upgrade package?

Upgrading normally intelligently upgrades what needs to be upgraded and leaves what does not, alone.

No. Even upgrades remove first the older version of that one package then reinstall the newer version of that package only, not the whole distro. It's still an upgrade.

Pacman's manual here: http://www.archlinux.org/pacman/pacman.8.html (scroll down to Operations -U,--Upgrade)

-U, --upgrade

Upgrade or add package(s) to the system and install the required dependencies from sync repos. Either a URL or file path can be specified. This is a “remove-then-add” process. See Upgrade Options below; also see Handling Config Files for an explanation on how pacman takes care of config files.

Either way, that is a tangent, and a procedure to be discussed elsewhere, and not helpful at the moment to the immediate problem.

I'm wondering too, when you extracted the new files from the update download, did you extract them directly into your el_linux directory or extract them somewhere else then copy them over on top of the existing directory?

DISREGARD THIS POST: upgrading to "OpenGL version string: 1.4 Mesa 7.7" changed this problem to the screen just going weird when I change lands, but no more crashes. I'm leaving this message up solely in case someone else has this issue (moderators, please delete if inappropriate).

Symptom: When I change lands or enter/exit doors, the program

sometimes (not always) crashes with a segmentation fault. Relevant

line in main_b801fb20.log:

[19:34:04, loading_win.c:163] Error: take_snapshot: 163

glReadBuffer(GL_BACK) problem.

1. OS: Fedora Core 11 [Linux]

2. On board video-card, motherboard has ASUS processor, not really

sure of much more. First three lines of #glinfo:

Video card: Mesa DRI Intel® G33 GEM 20090114 x86/MMX/SSE2

Vendor ID: Tungsten Graphics, Inc

OpenGL Version: 1.4 Mesa 7.6-devel

3. Not sure.

4. Full install; I even wiped out my ~/.elc directory just in case,

and let the new install re-create it.

5. As above.

6. Yes, I was in poor man mode and even tried at 640x480. I closed the

client normally (#exit) after setting poor man and then restarted it

to ensure the setting "stuck".

Given the error message, I thought the issue might be double

buffering, so I tried various settings for "Toggle Frame Buffer

support" and "Vertex Buffer Objects", but nothing helped.

I almost suspect glReadBuffer is sometimes getting a null pointer when

I first enter a new land/room.

Never had any problems with 1.9.1 nor 1.9.0.

Edited by carterbarry

Still unablr to play on old Compaq EVO N410C.

Game installed from the scratch, no modifications, poor man config.

White welcome screen, white login screen, crashes while loading with no error message.

Info about graphic card:

Renderer: RADEON 7000 SW TCL x86/SSE

Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.

Memory: 16 MB

Version: 1.3.4276 WinXP Release

Shading language version: N/A

Max texture size: 2048 x 2048

Max texture coordinates: 0

Max vertex texture image units: 0

Max texture image units: 0

Max geometry texture units: 0

Max anisotropic filtering value: 16

Max number of light sources: 8

Max viewport size: 2048 x 2048

Max uniform vertex components: 0

Max uniform fragment components: 0

Max geometry uniform components: 0

Max varying floats: 0

Max samples: 0

Max draw buffers: 0

Extensions: 66

GL_ARB_multitexture

GL_ARB_occlusion_query

GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp

GL_ARB_texture_compression

GL_ARB_texture_cube_map

GL_ARB_texture_env_add

GL_ARB_texture_env_combine

GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar

GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3

GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat

GL_ARB_transpose_matrix

GL_ARB_vertex_blend

GL_ARB_window_pos

GL_ATI_envmap_bumpmap

GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3

GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once

GL_ATI_vertex_streams

GL_ATIX_texture_env_combine3

GL_ATIX_texture_env_route

GL_EXT_abgr

GL_EXT_bgra

GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint

GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array

GL_EXT_draw_range_elements

GL_EXT_fog_coord

GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays

GL_EXT_packed_pixels

GL_EXT_point_parameters

GL_EXT_rescale_normal

GL_EXT_secondary_color

GL_EXT_separate_specular_color

GL_EXT_stencil_wrap

GL_EXT_texgen_reflection

GL_EXT_texture3D

GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc

GL_EXT_texture_cube_map

GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp

GL_EXT_texture_env_add

GL_EXT_texture_env_combine

GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3

GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic

GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias

GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp

GL_EXT_texture_object

GL_EXT_texture_rectangle

GL_EXT_vertex_array

GL_HP_occlusion_test

GL_NV_blend_square

GL_NV_occlusion_query

GL_NV_texgen_reflection

GL_S3_s3tc

GL_SGI_color_matrix

GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap

GL_SGIS_multitexture

GL_SGIS_texture_border_clamp

GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp

GL_SGIS_texture_lod

GL_SUN_multi_draw_arrays

GL_WIN_swap_hint

WGL_ARB_extensions_string

WGL_ARB_make_current_read

WGL_ARB_pbuffer

WGL_ARB_pixel_format

WGL_ARB_render_texture

WGL_EXT_extensions_string

WGL_EXT_swap_control

Core features

v1.1 (100 % - 7/7)

v1.2 (100 % - 8/8)

v1.3 (100 % - 9/9)

v1.4 (73 % - 11/15)

v1.5 (33 % - 1/3)

v2.0 (0 % - 0/10)

v2.1 (0 % - 0/3)

v3.0 (0 % - 0/23)

v3.1 (12 % - 1/8)

v3.2 (0 % - 0/9)

v3.3 (0 % - 0/9)

v4.0 (0 % - 0/13)

v4.1 (0 % - 0/7)

OpenGL driver version check (Current: 6.14.10.4276, Latest known: 6.13.10.3420):

Latest version of display drivers found

According the database, you are running the latest display drivers for your video card.

Compiled vertex array support

This feature improves OpenGL performance by using video memory to cache transformed vertices.

Multitexture support

This feature accelerates complex rendering such as lightmaps or environment mapping.

Secondary color support

This feature provides an alternate method of coloring specular highlights on polygons.

S3TC compression support

This feature improves texture mapping performance in some applications by using lossy compression.

Texture edge clamp support

This feature improves texturing quality by adding clamping control to edge texel filtering.

No vertex program support

This feature enables vertex programming (equivalent to DX8 Vertex Shader.) Some current or future OpenGL programs may require this feature.

No fragment program support

This feature enables per pixel programming (equivalent to DX9 Pixel Shader.) Some current or future OpenGL programs may require this feature.

Texture anisotropic filtering support

This feature improves the quality of texture mapping on oblique surfaces.

Occlusion test support

This feature provides hardware accelerated culling for objects.

No OpenGL Shading Language support

This may break compatibility for applications using per pixel shading.

No Frame buffer object support

This may break compatibility for applications using render to texture functions.

Extension verification:

GL_EXT_copy_texture was not found, but has the entry point glCopyTexSubImage3DEXT

GL_EXT_polygon_offset was not found, but has the entry point glPolygonOffsetEXT

GL_EXT_subtexture was not found, but has the entry point glTexSubImage3DEXT

GL_ARB_make_current_read was not found, but is available in driver version 6.14.10.3803

GL_ATI_map_object_buffer was not found, but is available in driver version 6.13.2500

GL_ATI_vertex_array_object was not found, but is available in driver version 6.13.2500

GL_ATIX_vertex_shader_output_point_size was not found, but is available in driver version 6.13.2500

GL_EXT_swap_control was not found, but is available in driver version 6.14.10.3803

GL_KTX_buffer_region was not found, but is available in driver version 6.13.10.3420

GL_SGI_texture_edge_clamp was not found, but is available in driver version 6.13.10.3420

EL log:

Log started at 2011-07-05 09:02:42 localtime (Środkowoeuropejski czas letni)

[09:02:42] Window size adjusted to 1018x715

[09:02:44] GL_ARB_multitexture extension found, using it.

[09:02:44] GL_ARB_texture_env_combine extension found, using it.

[09:02:44] GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array extension found, using it.

[09:02:44] GL_ARB_point_sprite extension found, using it.

[09:02:44] GL_ARB_texture_compression extension found, using it.

[09:02:44] GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc extension found, using it.

[09:02:44] GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap extension found, using it.

[09:02:44] Couldn't find the GL_ARB_shadow extension, not using it...

[09:02:44] Couldn't find the GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object extension, not using it...

[09:02:44] Couldn't find the GL_EXT_framebuffer_object extension, not using it...

[09:02:44] GL_EXT_draw_range_elements extension found, using it.

[09:02:44] Couldn't find the GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two extension, not using it...

[09:02:44] Couldn't find the GL_ARB_fragment_program extension, not using it...

[09:02:44] Couldn't find the GL_ARB_vertex_program extension, not using it...

[09:02:44] Couldn't find the GL_ARB_fragment_shader extension, not using it...

[09:02:44] Couldn't find the GL_ARB_vertex_shader extension, not using it...

[09:02:44] Couldn't find the GL_ARB_shader_objects extension, not using it...

[09:02:44] Couldn't find the GL_ARB_shading_language_100 extension, not using it...

[09:02:44] GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat extension found, NOT using it...

[09:02:44] Couldn't find the GL_ARB_texture_rectangle extension, not using it...

[09:02:44] GL_EXT_fog_coord extension found, NOT using it...

[09:02:44] Couldn't find the GL_ATI_texture_compression_3dc extension, not using it...

[09:02:44] Couldn't find the GL_EXT_texture_compression_latc extension, not using it...

[09:02:44] GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic extension found, using it.

[09:02:44] Framebuffer disabled (need newer driver)

[09:02:44] Shadow map size not supported! Shadow map size reduced to 512!

[09:02:44] Shadowmapping disabled (need newer hardware)

[09:02:44] Not using vertex program for actor animation.

[09:03:09] The location of the data files in use is ./

[09:03:09] Your personal settings and logs will be saved in C:\Documents and Settings\User\Moje dokumenty/Eternal Lands/main/

[09:03:28] Local files saved, asking server to save too...

Log started at 2011-07-05 09:03:30 localtime (Środkowoeuropejski czas letni)

[09:03:30] Window size adjusted to 1018x715

[09:03:30] GL_ARB_multitexture extension found, using it.

[09:03:30] GL_ARB_texture_env_combine extension found, using it.

[09:03:30] GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array extension found, using it.

[09:03:30] GL_ARB_point_sprite extension found, using it.

[09:03:30] GL_ARB_texture_compression extension found, using it.

[09:03:30] GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc extension found, using it.

[09:03:30] GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap extension found, using it.

[09:03:30] Couldn't find the GL_ARB_shadow extension, not using it...

[09:03:30] Couldn't find the GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object extension, not using it...

[09:03:30] Couldn't find the GL_EXT_framebuffer_object extension, not using it...

[09:03:30] GL_EXT_draw_range_elements extension found, using it.

[09:03:30] Couldn't find the GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two extension, not using it...

[09:03:30] Couldn't find the GL_ARB_fragment_program extension, not using it...

[09:03:30] Couldn't find the GL_ARB_vertex_program extension, not using it...

[09:03:30] Couldn't find the GL_ARB_fragment_shader extension, not using it...

[09:03:30] Couldn't find the GL_ARB_vertex_shader extension, not using it...

[09:03:30] Couldn't find the GL_ARB_shader_objects extension, not using it...

[09:03:30] Couldn't find the GL_ARB_shading_language_100 extension, not using it...

[09:03:30] GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat extension found, NOT using it...

[09:03:30] Couldn't find the GL_ARB_texture_rectangle extension, not using it...

[09:03:30] GL_EXT_fog_coord extension found, NOT using it...

[09:03:30] Couldn't find the GL_ATI_texture_compression_3dc extension, not using it...

[09:03:30] Couldn't find the GL_EXT_texture_compression_latc extension, not using it...

[09:03:30] GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic extension found, using it.

[09:03:30] Framebuffer disabled (need newer driver)

[09:03:30] Shadow map size not supported! Shadow map size reduced to 512!

[09:03:30] Shadowmapping disabled (need newer hardware)

[09:03:30] Not using vertex program for actor animation.

[09:03:42] The location of the data files in use is ./

[09:03:42] Your personal settings and logs will be saved in C:\Documents and Settings\User\Moje dokumenty/Eternal Lands/main/

[09:04:42] Connecting to Server...

[09:04:43] Hi, and welcome to Eternal Lands! If you're new to the game and need help, please read the newbie helper guides on the main website. If you would rather learn by doing, talk to the Tutorial NPC, which is at the start point. In addition to that, you can type #help_me and your question to get a live response if there are helpers online. Click on the screen to continue!