Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest JoeLong

Sound

Guest JoeLong

Running Fedora 14 have the sound files saves right I/O warning : failed to load external entity "sound/sound_config.xml" is what I get every time I start the game

That error message means you failed to install the sound add-on correctly. From your previous posts, you indicated you have EL installed in this folder: /home/JoeLong/Desktop/el_linux/

The archive you downloaded contains a folder called sound. It should be unpacked to your ....../el_linux directory such that you end up with /home/JoeLong/Desktop/el_linux/sound and that folder would then contain the sound_config.xml as well as numerous other files. Verify that it does. The most common problem is where players create a folder called sound and then unpack the zip to it such that they end up with something like /home/JoeLong/Desktop/el_linux/sound/sound which is of course incorrect.

Guest JoeLong

That error message means you failed to install the sound add-on correctly. From your previous posts, you indicated you have EL installed in this folder: /home/JoeLong/Desktop/el_linux/

The archive you downloaded contains a folder called sound. It should be unpacked to your ....../el_linux directory such that you end up with /home/JoeLong/Desktop/el_linux/sound and that folder would then contain the sound_config.xml as well as numerous other files. Verify that it does. The most common problem is where players create a folder called sound and then unpack the zip to it such that they end up with something like /home/JoeLong/Desktop/el_linux/sound/sound which is of course incorrect.

Sorry forgot to mention I moved the folder to /home/JoeLong/MMORPG to clean up my desktop. Have /home/JoeLong/MMORGP/el_linux/Sound everything seems right.

Guest JoeLong

I/O warning : failed to load external entity "sound/sound_config.xml" is what I get when the sound file is named Sound. open /dev/[sound/]dsp: No such file or directory

is what I get if it's named sound.

It is case sensitive and needs to be all lower case "sound." You also have to specify your sound device in the game settings under Audio - you'll see a text box where you can provide a value. To determine what sound devices are detected by the client on your system, open the error_log.txt file located in ~/.elc. Though the actual detected devices may vary, look for a line that starts similar to this:

[13:53:24] Sound devices detected: ALSA Default

You then need to enter in one of the detected devices verbatim in the Audtio section of the game options. In this example (from my system,) I have "ALSA Default" entered into the Sound Device text box in the client Audio settings.

Guest JoeLong

It is case sensitive and needs to be all lower case "sound." You also have to specify your sound device in the game settings under Audio - you'll see a text box where you can provide a value. To determine what sound devices are detected by the client on your system, open the error_log.txt file located in ~/.elc. Though the actual detected devices may vary, look for a line that starts similar to this:

[13:53:24] Sound devices detected: ALSA Default

You then need to enter in one of the detected devices verbatim in the Audtio section of the game options. In this example (from my system,) I have "ALSA Default" entered into the Sound Device text box in the client Audio settings.

Ok can't find the ~/.elc. I'm still new to linux so how can I find it?

~ is analogous to your home directory so ~/.elc is /home/JoeLong/.elc. Directories starting with a period are hidden by default. If you're using a GUI file manager, there may be an option to unhide them (Ctrl+H in Thunar, for instance.)

Guest JoeLong

~ is analogous to your home directory so ~/.elc is /home/JoeLong/.elc. Directories starting with a period are hidden by default. If you're using a GUI file manager, there may be an option to unhide them (Ctrl+H in Thunar, for instance.)

Thanks didn't know that. This is the whole error log

Log started at 2011-06-09 16:17:45 localtime (CDT)

[16:17:45] Using the server profile: main

[16:17:45] read_config() chdir("c:\Program Files\Eternal Lands\/") failed

[16:17:45] Warning: Didn't find your data_dir, using the current directory instead. Please correct this in your el.ini . Given data_dir was: "c:\Program Files\Eternal Lands\/". Using "/home/JoeLong/Desktop/el_linux".

[16:17:45] Window size adjusted to 1014x713

[16:17:45] GL_ARB_multitexture extension found, using it.

[16:17:45] GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array extension found, using it.

[16:17:45] GL_ARB_point_sprite extension found, using it.

[16:17:45] GL_ARB_texture_compression extension found, using it.

[16:17:45] Couldn't find the GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc extension, not using it...

[16:17:45] GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap extension found, using it.

[16:17:45] GL_ARB_shadow extension found, using it.

[16:17:45] GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object extension found, using it.

[16:17:45] GL_EXT_framebuffer_object extension found, using it.

[16:17:45] GL_EXT_draw_range_elements extension found, using it.

[16:17:45] GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two extension found, using it.

[16:17:45] GL_ARB_fragment_program extension found, using it.

[16:17:45] GL_ARB_vertex_program extension found, using it.

[16:17:45] GL_ARB_fragment_shader extension found, using it.

[16:17:45] GL_ARB_vertex_shader extension found, using it.

[16:17:45] GL_ARB_shader_objects extension found, using it.

[16:17:45] GL_ARB_shading_language_100 extension found, using it.

[16:17:45] GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat extension found, NOT using it...

[16:17:45] GL_ARB_texture_rectangle extension found, NOT using it...

[16:17:45] GL_EXT_fog_coord extension found, NOT using it...

[16:17:45] Couldn't find the GL_ATI_texture_compression_3dc extension, not using it...

[16:17:45] Couldn't find the GL_EXT_texture_compression_latc extension, not using it...

Sorry forgot to mention I moved the folder to /home/JoeLong/MMORPG to clean up my desktop.

[16:17:45] Warning: Didn't find your data_dir, using the current directory instead. Please correct this in your el.ini . Given data_dir was: "c:\Program Files\Eternal Lands\/". Using "/home/JoeLong/Desktop/el_linux".

Uhm, this error log indicates that the program is installed in /home/JoeLong/Desktop/el_linux but according to your other post, you moved it. Is it possible that you now have EL in two locations? The error log is overwritten each time you run the client. Make sure you have the sound folder with the proper lower case name, run the client, enable & disable sound at least once in the Options (that should spam sound device info at the end of the error log,) close the client & repost the error_log.txt file.

Guest JoeLong

Sorry forgot to mention I moved the folder to /home/JoeLong/MMORPG to clean up my desktop.

Uhm, this error log indicates that the program is installed in /home/JoeLong/Desktop/el_linux but according to your other post, you moved it. Is it possible that you now have EL in two locations? The error log is overwritten each time you run the client. Make sure you have the sound folder with the proper lower case name, run the client, enable & disable sound at least once in the Options (that should spam sound device info at the end of the error log,) close the client & repost the error_log.txt file.

It seems that it's not overwriting. That's the log from the first time I was in the client. No clue why it's doing that.

Are you running the client while logged into a different user account than JoeLong? Type "who am i" in a shell to confirm your user account. You could also, from a shell, "cd ~/.elc" and then "cat error_log.txt" and copy & paste the output here and see if it is any different than the log you pasted previously.

Guest JoeLong

Are you running the client while logged into a different user account than JoeLong? Type "who am i" in a shell to confirm your user account. You could also, from a shell, "cd ~/.elc" and then "cat error_log.txt" and copy & paste the output here and see if it is any different than the log you pasted previously.

the cat error log is Log started at 2011-06-09 16:17:45 localtime (CDT)

[16:17:45] Using the server profile: main

[16:17:45] Window size adjusted to 1014x713

[16:17:45] GL_ARB_multitexture extension found, using it.

[16:17:45] GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array extension found, using it.

[16:17:45] GL_ARB_point_sprite extension found, using it.

[16:17:45] GL_ARB_texture_compression extension found, using it.

[16:17:45] Couldn't find the GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc extension, not using it...

[16:17:45] GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap extension found, using it.

[16:17:45] GL_ARB_shadow extension found, using it.

[16:17:45] GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object extension found, using it.

[16:17:45] GL_EXT_framebuffer_object extension found, using it.

[16:17:45] GL_EXT_draw_range_elements extension found, using it.

[16:17:45] GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two extension found, using it.

[16:17:45] GL_ARB_fragment_program extension found, using it.

[16:17:45] GL_ARB_vertex_program extension found, using it.

[16:17:45] GL_ARB_fragment_shader extension found, using it.

[16:17:45] GL_ARB_vertex_shader extension found, using it.

[16:17:45] GL_ARB_shader_objects extension found, using it.

[16:17:45] GL_ARB_shading_language_100 extension found, using it.

[16:17:45] GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat extension found, NOT using it...

[16:17:45] GL_ARB_texture_rectangle extension found, NOT using it...

[16:17:45] GL_EXT_fog_coord extension found, NOT using it...

[16:17:45] Couldn't find the GL_ATI_texture_compression_3dc extension, not using it...

[16:17:45] Couldn't find the GL_EXT_texture_compression_latc extension, not using it...

the who am i is

[root@Kitty JoeLong]# cd /home/JoeLong/.elc

[root@Kitty .elc]# who am i

JoeLong pts/0 2011-06-14 08:42 (:0.0)

Guest JoeLong

try modprobe snd-pcm-oss as root from a terminal.

[root@Kitty JoeLong]# modprobe snd-pcm-os

FATAL: Module snd_pcm_os not found.

is what I got

Nope, once every boot.

ok, if it worked, then the next step is to automatically do this at boot. This sounds like it's distro dependent so there must a clean way to do it under fedora. Maybe someone who uses fedora can help here or you should check fedora's wiki or documentation.

But there ugly quick solution is:

echo "modprobe snd-pcm-oss" >> /etc/rc.local

## note the double >>

Edited by hussam

Guest JoeLong

I believe Fedora uses a file called /etc/rc.modules

so

echo "snd-pcm-oss" >> /etc/rc.modules

should be it.

Ok will give it a try. Still weird that my error log is not updating.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this