Eternal Lands Official Forums

So many times I see newbies come into kf "just to watch" only to get pwnd by a high level char and a lot of them think "fuck this I'm not going back in there". Is it possibel to have a small safe area just as you come into kf with maybe a few seats where they come and watch in safety. If they like what they see we may get more pple actually wanting to pk. It doesn't have to large, maybe half the size of the dp arena.

** Also would be good for other people to come and just watch, not just newbies

Edited by Starlite

Be careful, such ‘safe zone’ can be abused by eBul rangers. :evilgrin:

They can use hit-and-run (tele) tactics. Which will be frustrating for fighters out there. :icon4:

So it may be possible that you cant enter after you have been engaged in combat for so many minutes. Or you cant enter if your carrying any weapons or armor. Possibly also that if you go into the 'safe area" you cant leave for 5 minutes ( a ranger would not want to wait that long to rejoin combat) I dont know about the implentaion, at this point its just an idea. But I think there are ways to make it safe.

1. Im just curious if people would want something like this

2. How difficult it would be to work it out.

I would certainly be more inclined to go if safe viewing gallery, as described, was implemented.

I like this idea,as it can provide some PK 'fun' for n00bs like myself..I don't like going in there and getting killed by some 150 a/d hardcore PKer :pinch: and miss all the fun in fights. :medieval:

There were times (yeah, I know how it sounds) non-PKers could sit in KF watching others having fun and chatting. Then, there came some wannabe-badass-PKers and all the fun was gone, 'cos they kept attacking people indiscriminately. It did not require any special areas, back then. PKers did not attack people standing no chance at all - there was no reason for this.

Right now, I'd not be interested in an area like this. PKing lost its charm. Maybe it's back one day.

There were times (yeah, I know how it sounds) non-PKers could sit in KF watching others having fun and chatting. Then, there came some wannabe-badass-PKers and all the fun was gone, 'cos they kept attacking people indiscriminately. It did not require any special areas, back then. PKers did not attack people standing no chance at all - there was no reason for this.

Right now, I'd not be interested in an area like this. PKing lost its charm. Maybe it's back one day.

Speaks the truth.

I really like Starlite's suggestion. I know I would like to watch some fair play pk'ing sometime. However, Vanyel sure does have it right. I actually did get to watch some real pk fun when I first started playing EL. Wish we could get those days back, but alas, the past is the past.

Thats exactly why i dont go in KF(or any pk maps-only when daily request me there) to see/watch how the Pk fight is done. Those wannabe pk-ers(plenty on names could be written here)dont let noobs like me watch at least for couple of times and learn about it. Pity cos thats the main reason why PK is dead in this game. :brooding:

I remember a time when i had my first daily in KF(flowers one) and i was just a newbie in game(a/d around 40) and wanted after harv to go and see a fight but i was killed by Valhalla(think thats the name of the guy-cant remember exactly) after not even 10flowers harv and didnt even had the time to say i was there for the daily quest. Took me 3 days to go back there and finish it. :icon4:

Edited by Immortelle

Yup, it got bad then it got worse and after that i didn't go back.

I was able to watch pr0s fight too, was fun... now I am afraid to enter the map :P

*bumps up the old idea of a special cloak*

You can only wear and unwear this cloak on Isla Prima.

When wearing this cloak, you can't be attacked by anything, player or monster on PK maps and you can't fight, range, cast spells, harvest, do anything but walking and change maps and #beam.

Voila, the perfect spectator cloak.

Let it be makeable with stuff like the fur cloak, maybe add an iron bar to the ingreds, so every noob can make one and go to PK maps and watch fights.

Maybe invaded monsters still can attack you, that wouldnt spoil the fun of watching fights on PK maps.

Piper

+1 to The_Piper

agree would like too see that implemented that would be nice for players to visit pk and watch, would suggest that when the cape was worn no chat available to the wearer at all to stop enemies telling who was in or out of locations, but very nice idea overall.

Davy

I wouldn't mind seeing this personally, a lot of concerns in the past were "omg they could spy on us for other ppl", I really don't think that's a concern anymore.

All for this idea.

Potential for abuse is still way too big imo.

(Even if not 'abuse', but potential for someone to be very annoying)

This would require map changes (but then so would the above ideas), but what about...

A ladder or cave entrance on the VotD side. It does a map change to KF and puts you on...

A raised platform against the rock wall that has a high railing (blocks archery), is a no-magic zone (so no spell casting or teleporting) and is non-PK. It of course also has a ladder/cave to go back to VotD.

The one thing I don't know how to prevent is people doing tele-range from KF to the platform. But I assume the map maker could figure out a block for that too. But perhaps that's OK if it makes sense as another escape route.

A ladder or portal to a platform with seating and railing would be great,, maybe just left of of the votd/kf entrance. Magic free zone to stop tele may also be possible.

has a high railing (blocks archery)

and is non-PK.

sorry but I fail to see why the railing is required, so spectators can't shoot the forest chimmies to death or something? :P

A spectator area does sound like a good idea to me. A perfect location for it would be the north part of the fort right south of VotD flag, because that's around where most of the fights occur anyway, and it would be close enough to VotD for a door/ladder to make sense.

Of course there'd be no way to prevent someone from escaping by teleing to the platform, but that's really no different than casting tele to range then double clicking the VotD flag to escape.

Of course there'd be no way to prevent someone from escaping by teleing to the platform, but that's really no different than casting tele to range then double clicking the VotD flag to escape.

This is true enough, I guess so long as the spectator area is a no-magic zone and can't be ranged from, summoned from, etc. then it's ok.

I certainly would. I tried to watch one of the big battles and was told they would offer no protection nor punishment for others non armed and neutral.

Best way would to be for map to be modified to create a no magic, no combat tower accessible via portal from other maps. Players could not leave area to engage. Maybe even charge a small fee. But I do not think those who want to just watch are much of a priority in game.

Best way would to be for map to be modified to create a no magic, no combat tower accessible via portal from other maps. Players could not leave area to engage. Maybe even charge a small fee. But I do not think those who want to just watch are much of a priority in game.

I don't think there should be a fee, the whole idea is to get people to go and watch and encourage an interest in pk. Also often there is no action in kf, so a fee would be detrimental to people just being able to pop in and see.

I wouldn't mind seeing this personally, a lot of concerns in the past were "omg they could spy on us for other ppl", I really don't think that's a concern anymore.

Now the problem is spectators getting attacked by summons and this way becoming part of the fight - better to get rid of 'em. Considering the competitiveness of PK these days the safe place for spectators sounds ok.

KF is KF, so arena arguments are invalid.

Edited by Dugur