Eternal Lands Official Forums

As far as I know, I have leveled up the polymorph more then anyone else in game, currently level 10.

I had hopped to level it to max before making some suggestions, however time and gc's are a constant issue.

first some nice points

1) The cooldown on items at higher level is very reasonable, I would not change this.

2) The evasion perk helps nicely, and does make a reasonable tank unless fighting much higher level people or monsters.

Some things that I suggest to be changed.

1) The phoneix doesnt hit hard enough. And lets face it, unless you can cause some damage you can never win a fight. I would like to suggest the phoneix has some extra fire damage. Otherwise the fight will only go as long as you can survive clicking great heal pots. It just doesnt have enough punch at the moment (for the cost of leveling it) imo

2) Some added perks would be nice, I would suggest I glow in the dark, keeping with the fire theme. Dealing some extra damage this way would be very usefull, as the phoniex does get hit more often, and without armor takes damage very fast.

3) fatal guy perk, that 10% chance to hit regardless of defense/attack levels more would be nice, and fits in nicely with the "re-birth" aspect of the polymorph.

If the phoenix stays as is I do not see anyone rushing to level it up. But with those added features I think it could be much more used in team efforts to help take down big invasion/instance mobs. And would add a little more dimension to pk.

Anyone else have thoughts on the matter, please post below.

Thanks

Wizz

I believe most have forgotten the advantages of the phoenix, so I thought to C&P them to save trouble of search from others.

"Now you can shape shift into a phoenix.

As similar to the mule, there are 14 levels. Leveling up is the same as with the mule, you need to be in the shape shifted form for a long time, and the number of points for each level is different (non linear).

Advantages of the phoenix:

1. 1*level fire protection.

2. 1*level chance to dodge hits, and it stacks with the 5% default chance and with the evanescence perk.

3. 1*level extra attack

4. 5*level to 'reborn', in addition to the day of the dead effect.

5. If the player has magic immunity cast before shape shifting, the spell will not wear off while in the phoenix form.

6. Based on the level, there is a chance to not get a cooldown when using an item."

Would it help since there is no ability for HP bonus through armor to have either:

xx%*level Hp bonus

or

Disposable items that could be crafted/manued for one time phoenix use. ie: Amulet of Life: gives extra HP to a shape shifted phoenix for as long as it stays in that form and then disappears when taken off or shape shifts back to normal.

I have personally never shape shifted into a phoniex as I have been lvling my mule first and then was going to move on to this. So i have no direct knowledge of the perks and how well they work in combat, only what I have heard from others.

I am not so sure about that, I do use it from time to time, I know luciferx (though I do not speak for him) has leveled phoenix a fair bit also. There are probably someothers, though typical is others need to see something in action before they can see all the benifits.

I would use the phoenix if it hit more but i would not lvl it till i was done with my build or if it gave me no xp while fighting(I dont know if it does now) but right now i cant use it because there is no benefit to doing so with my build

Edited by Orick

I was thinking today (i know trouble right) about this whole phoenix thing and thought maybe we are going about it wrong. Instead of changing the phoenix perhaps we should change something else in the game \o/ Here's what I mean:

Right now there are only 3 creatures that "cast" spells: Large Spiders, Grizzly/Black Bear, and White Tigers.

One of my reasons to eventually lvl Phoenix was to hunt bears and tigers for furs for summoning as I could cast MI once and then not worry about it while I collected furs. So perhaps we need more monsters/creatures that cast magic spells that make it more interesting to use the phoenix, Like invasion monsters that cast spells like Voldemort in his prime so that a normal fighter would have a hard time killing it but a decently lvled phoenix with magic immunity would be able to take it down with some risk.

one type of monster idea stats:

120+a/d

could cast harm once and kill or seriously wound most players who don't have MI on (with a col/rdholam).

has mana and mana pots.

has some point defense against archery.

and is cool like a ninja.

This could give rise to also a purpose for shape shifting into dragon form. The phoenix can block spells with it's mi so possibly dragons could have spell mirror perk spells have a % chance of bouncing back at the player/monster attacking it depending on shape shifting lvl.

There are many possibilities down this path but I thought I'd throw it out there with some minor example and see what people think. Just think about what you might do once you graduated from Phoenix University.

The biggest penalty for using the phoenix in battle is IMO that you can't use magic- since they can't wear armor, they should be able to cast spells with extra abilities, either with additional +25% effect or special (new) spells which only the phoenix can cast, for example elemental spells like fire/air/electro attacks.

And yes, of course the glyph needs to be makeable with a reasonable cost - e.g. 1 ELE+1 EFE+2 MoP+ 60 phoenix feathers which would result in 60 glyphs costing ~420gc each

(reply to post below: yes- similar to recipe for mule glyphs which gives you as many glyphs as you put mule skins in)

So, since the cost for all this creature food is high, give it some special abilities you won't get otherwise- it can become an entirely new approach to battle, other than through a/d levels.

I would love to see the shapeshifting more used, it's a fun skill

Edited by aredhel

And yes, of course the glyph needs to be makeable with a reasonable cost - e.g. 1 ELE+1 EFE+2 MoP+ 60 phoenix feathers which would result in a glyph costing ~420gc

Err...you can buy nowadays an ELE + EFE + MoP + 60 phoenix feathers for 420 gc?

*scratches head*

Piper

And yes, of course the glyph needs to be makeable with a reasonable cost - e.g. 1 ELE+1 EFE+2 MoP+ 60 phoenix feathers which would result in a glyph costing ~420gc

Err...you can buy nowadays an ELE + EFE + MoP + 60 phoenix feathers for 420 gc?

*scratches head*

Piper

I think he meant like the mule ones. they produce 100 at a time.

One of my reasons to eventually lvl Phoenix was to hunt bears and tigers for furs for summoning as I could cast MI once and then not worry about it while I collected furs. So perhaps we need more monsters/creatures that cast magic spells that make it more interesting to use the phoenix, Like invasion monsters that cast spells like Voldemort in his prime so that a normal fighter would have a hard time killing it but a decently lvled phoenix with magic immunity would be able to take it down with some risk.

NVM Finja said today that while in phoenix with mi there was mana burn from grizzly i thought that MI covered that but i guess i was eating to many shrooms.

NVM Finja said today that while in phoenix with mi there was mana burn from grizzly i thought that MI covered that but i guess i was eating to many shrooms.

Magic Immunity does not make you 'immune' - it makes you resistant.

I fight grizzlies many times and occasionally get mana burned even with magic 'immunity'.

One additional item which might encourage phoenix usage would be concentrated food applicable to phoenixes other than mule fuel. This would not take as much weight so phoenix could carry more and do deliveries such as bomb drops.

Let the phoenix trade would be fair for all of the hard work.

MI does stop mana burn from bears and cooldowns from tigers that aren't summoned by high level summoners. MI doesn't however prevent those effects from weapons.

Magic Immunity does not make you 'immune' - it makes you resistant.

I fight grizzlies many times and occasionally get mana burned even with magic 'immunity'.

Incorrect. It does make you immune to all magic effects casted by other players & creatures unless there is a bug from when summoners were given a percent chance to bypass MI with their summons via summon level, or there's a possibility that when in phoenix form after casting MI you keep the icon but lose the effect after 90s.

Edited by bigkav

Incorrect. It does make you immune to all magic effects casted by other players & creatures unless there is a bug from when summoners were given a percent chance to bypass MI with their summons via summon level, or there's a possibility that when in phoenix form after casting MI you keep the icon but lose the effect after 90s.

Uhhuh.

March 2009:

Now the summoned creatures with special effects have a (summoning_skill/4)% chance to bypass the MI of an enemy.

Uhhuh.

March 2009:

Now the summoned creatures with special effects have a (summoning_skill/4)% chance to bypass the MI of an enemy.

My mistake, worded it wrong sorry (it sounded more complete when I said it in my head...). When I said "unless there is a bug from when summoners were given a percent chance to bypass MI with their summons via summon level" I was referring to the change in 2009 and I meant that there could be a possibility in the change of 2009 that it could of been added accidentally to normal spawned bears & tigers etc (assuming what saxum said happened). I was actively PKing when the summoning change occurred, just that my mind and hands weren't really agreeing with each other when I wrote that sentence. :P

Edited by bigkav

Per original comment by Elf_ninja

One of my reasons to eventually lvl Phoenix was to hunt bears and tigers for furs for summoning as I could cast MI once and then not worry about it while I collected furs

Normal bears and giant spiders can bypass Magic 'Immunity' occasionally. I have had this happen multiple times. It has happened shortly after I casted it, during middle of spell and almost at end of spell. I have seen this multiple times with grizzly bears but I hunt them a lot.

manaburned.png