Eternal Lands Official Forums
bluap

Search and bookmarks for encyclopedia

I've written a very simple patch to add search and bookmark functions to the encyclopedia. My timing is pretty poor considering we a about to have a new release so even if people like this, I don't expect to add it to the client before the release (That said it is very simple and only touches existing code in two places....). You wil need to add the line "FEATURES += ENCYCL_NAVIGATION" to make.defaults to include this patch in a build.

The functions are accessed from a context (right-click) menu on the encyclopedia window.

The search part records all the links (and the link text) specified in the encyclopedia then provides a search capability across the text (which is basically all the page titles). If an exact match is found, the page is loaded immediately. If no exact match is found but a single partial match is found, that page is loaded immediately. Finally, if multiple matches are found, the first few (up to 10 currently) are displayed in a simple (context menu) window. If you click on a line in that window the page is loaded.

The bookmark part provides a bookmark and un-bookmark option for the current page. Up to 10 (currently) bookmarks can be set and they are not saved between client restarts (though that could be done). Bookmarks are appended to the encyclopedia window context menu, selecting the line navigates to the bookmarked page.

Here are some pictures....

gallery_14814_57_65304.jpg

gallery_14814_57_43564.jpg

gallery_14814_57_31288.jpg

gallery_14814_57_12708.jpg

Edited by bluap

Not tried it but by the looks of it OMG that is awesome!

I don't want to risk my comp blowing up messing with this so i'll wait til it is implemented :)

I like it :)

Although sometimes search can show the same results:

Yes, its all dependant on the text used for the link, I had not come across too many links that use the same text but may be there are more than I thought. Hopefully, each goes to a different page otherwise it's a bug. What would be very nice is if the encyclopedia could be modified to distinguish the page titles more clearly so that this sort of thing can be done more reliably. However, that's over 800 pages and then there are all the translations.....

I've updated this patch with a new algorithm to find and de-dupe hyper-links. This gives better handling of hyper-links with the same title and comprehensive page coverage. Hyper-links are only de-duped when the linked page and title are the same. If multiple hyper-links have the same title but different link pages, then they are included but with the link page name appended to title.

Do you think it would be much work to make it so we can send encyclopedia bookmarks to people?

"/newbie Look here encyclopedia:/armor/iron_shield"

That would be even more awsome.

Your timing might be off, but if we can at least get this for the update after this coming one, it would be awsome.

I've just committed an updated version of this patch to CVS. The update adds a couple of extra options and restricts the search to pages linked from the encyclopedia; so does not include the help and skills pages. The feature is enabled by default.

As for sending links to others, how did you intend them to open the link? It would be nice if you could just hover your mouse over the link text and click to open it but that would be lots of work - but it could be used for URLs too.... Or we could have a new #command, i.e. "#enc iron shield" that could be PMed then they could copy/paste into their input buffer. The encyclopedia context menu could have an option to copy the required text for the command to the copy buffer....

Edited by bluap

I've just committed an updated version of this patch to CVS. The update adds a couple of extra options and restricts the search to pages linked from the encyclopedia; so does not include the help and skills pages. The feature is enabled by default.

As for sending links to others, how did you intend them to open the link? It would be nice if you could just hover your mouse over the link text and click to open it but that would be lots of work - but it could be used for URLs too.... Or we could have a new #command, i.e. "#enc iron shield" that could be PMed then they could copy/paste into their input buffer. The encyclopedia context menu could have an option to copy the required text for the command to the copy buffer....

F2 perhaps?

Of course, if people could also click on whatever links instead of having to F2 or copy+paste, that would be a cool addition to both standard links and these links.