Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Testing the horses on the test server

Please note:

1. You MUST have the new testing client, from: http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=54269

2. You MUST NOT use the test client commands that hax a horse on you. I will give people whistles.

3. Report any bugs here, or send me an ingame PM. If possible, a screenshot of the problem should be attached here.

[edit] I forgot to mention, we need to test fighting on the horses. All kinds of possible situations.

A Forest Chimeran attacked Finja and i was helping her (we both were fighting to try to reproduce the bug) So i Changed the Bow for thermal sword but as u can see @ the image something went wrong ..

BUG.png

Really not big deal compared with the other bug that we were trying to reproduce. After change back to bow and shooting an arrow all went normal again.. but thought i should to put this here.

Here are two issues we found. I don't know what caused the first one, the standing ranger pose issue, but once my character started doing it no amount of map changing, toggling off and on the horse, etc. would correct it. The second issue seems to happen if you are attacked in melee while ranging, e.g. if you are ranging a mob and it comes up and attacks you while you are in the ranging animation. As far as why all players don't see the problem, that is very confusing but greypal may have some more input on the issue.

When I aim, my character goes into the standing ranger pose as opposed to the seated pose, but only for me - other players saw the correct animation for my character.

5248109852_3c9d3d4030_b.jpg

Also as you know, we ran into the issue where the character detaches from the horse, but it is strange in that not everyone sees the problem.  In this screen, greypal, tropatropa and myself see tropa detached, greypal and tropa see me detached and everything looks fine for anamir and finja.

5248109848_f25c523cbd_b.jpg

The player get out of sync with the horse when shooting arrows and the monsters attack:

elscreen002.jpg

Not all the players in the scene are able to see the pair "player-horse out of sync"

In the following picture i see chronik out of sync and some other players see him on the horse:

elscreen005.jpg

Don't know if that helps in any way, but I didn't see any of these bugs.

I noticed the first bug. Horses disappeared as soon as the player started shooting.

But after you restarted the server I didn't see any horse disappearing nor player and horse out of sync. Everything seems absolutly fine for me. No matter if I attack the monster or the shooting player. Or if the monster attacks me...

Also when Anamir changed from bow to thermal I immediately saw the thermal.

Linux (got files from cvs last night, compiled today Do 09 Dez 2010 07:19:44 CET)

Video card: GeForce GT 220/PCI/SSE2

Vendor ID: NVIDIA Corporation

OpenGL Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 260.19.06

I'm not sure if this is related, but I've never seen an error message like this with either test client prior to our testing.  I see this message in my console when exiting EL (I snipped out a number of resync messages before this error and the lengthy memory map after it:)

*** glibc detected *** ./el.x86.linux.bin: free(): invalid pointer: 0xa0121d28 ***

======= Backtrace: =========

/lib/i686/cmov/libc.so.6[0xb6eda764]

/lib/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(cfree+0x96)[0xb6edc966]

/usr/lib/libvorbis.so.0(vorbis_comment_clear+0x4d)[0xb6febbed]

/usr/lib/libvorbisfile.so.3(ov_clear+0xf6)[0xb6fda816]

./el.x86.linux.bin[0x810c07d]

./el.x86.linux.bin[0x8112643]

./el.x86.linux.bin[0x80d93eb]

./el.x86.linux.bin[0x80d9701]

/lib/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xe5)[0xb6e82455]

./el.x86.linux.bin(ftell+0x49)[0x8053851]

i've been able to reproduce horse detachment, i did several screenies during kf-action and after

which are available under http://greypal.el-fd.org/screenshots/test/.

But since those screenies do not show much detail what and how i did i figured to create a movie which is also available in the screenshots directory.

The quality is not the best, and the framerate is quite poor but you get an idea how i get managed to get of the horse.

1. aim a target and shoot

maybe a miss, a "no line of fire" or "too far" triggers that the horse is stuck.

2. if you then click somewhere to move to, you float around

3. if you successful shoot again the horse moves again

since this scenario may also be triggered on a map just containing 1 mob, 1 player and some blocking objects it would be easy to follow the "traffic" which packets arrive and being handled.

since during the "freeze" of the horse this "horse-actor" is not being "operated".

when checking the screenies, you may look at nr 70, where my horse is "parking" far away near the poppies in votd.

screens 65-69 show a "remote" synchron moved horse.

while on screen 64 the horse is stuck until i had a succesfull fight with a boar

Edited by Greypal

But since those screenies do not show much detail what and how i did i figured to create a movie which is also available in the screenshots directory.

movie needs a bit of the ol' chmod 644 there Greypal ;p

Those who are getting displaced from the horse: you are using REAL horse whistles, right? And NOT the #horse command? (#horse command will displace, the real horse whistle shouldn't...)

Those who are getting displaced from the horse: you are using REAL horse whistles, right? And NOT the #horse command? (#horse command will displace, the real horse whistle shouldn't...)

Yes, real horse whistles. radu handed them out on test yesterday and I think some also had them in storage.

Yes, real horse whistles. radu handed them out on test yesterday and I think some also had them in storage.

Same

Mmm...I've tried to generate every missile message (too far, miss...etc), get attacked by monsters while ranging but can't reproduce any synch issue.

I've just committed a modified actor_scripts.c that outputs some debug messages. It prints your and your horse command queue in the terminal.

Something like this:

11174---------> DOING: 43 -----------
  Actor Fedora >FA< queue: -->R43|IC18|LC19|M25| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0|
  Horse Fedora >FA< queue: -->R43|256|256|M25| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0|
11174---------> DOING (horse): 43 ---
  Actor Fedora >FA< queue: -->IC18|LC19|M25| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0|
  Horse Fedora >FA< queue: -->R43|256|256|M25| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0|
11175---------> DOING: 18 -----------
  Actor Fedora >FA< queue: -->IC18|LC19|M25| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0|
  Horse Fedora >FA< queue: -->256|256|M25| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0|
11187---------> DOING: 19 -----------
  Actor Fedora >FA< queue: -->LC19|M25| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0|
  Horse Fedora >FA< queue: -->256|M25| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0|
11200---------> DOING: 25 -----------
  Actor Fedora >FA< queue: -->M25| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0|
  Horse Fedora >FA< queue: -->M25| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0|
11200---------> DOING (horse): 25 ---
  Actor Fedora >FA< queue: --> 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0|
  Horse Fedora >FA< queue: -->M25| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0| 0|

It can be useful if you could post the queues you have a little before and a little after you get the synch problems.

In the meanwhile I'll keep testing.

EDIT:

oh...yes...those debug msgs can be quite confusing :P If you are unsure what to post, just search a line where the horse queue starts with a 256 and it contains a lot more commands than the actor's.

Edited by Fedora

thanks fedora, this is exactly what i expected, those queues got out of sync.

it took me a while to reproduce it and record it as well.

But now i've uploaded 2 files to http://greypal.el-fd.org/screenshots/test/ named

actor_queue.txt and actor_queue.ogg

where u can see how the queue for the horse filled up and see the corresponding shot in the video.

i assume when the horse locked completely the queue may have been overflown.

and a successful shot released the horse from its lock.

but how is this associated in the client?

also in kf i had seen that horses which do not change the positon still were walking and such.

it took me a while to reproduce it and record it as well.

But now i've uploaded 2 files to http://greypal.el-fd.org/screenshots/test/ named

actor_queue.txt and actor_queue.ogg

where u can see how the queue for the horse filled up and see the corresponding shot in the video.

Thanks! I'll look into it.

If you still have them, can you post some more of the queues you get before the unsynch? Just to know what you were doing before.

EDIT:

Ok, I can reproduce it...and it is not caused by ranging/fighting queue asynch. Something goes wrong during in place rotations :o . I'll try to patch it tomorrow \o

Edited by Fedora

Ok, patched. CVS is updated and debug messages are still on.

There were two sources of errors:

- horse2/horse3...horse7.xml inside /actor_defs contain wrong info. The lines:

<CAL_in_combat duration="500">./animations/horse_idle1.caf 1</CAL_in_combat>
	<CAL_out_combat duration="500">./animations/horse_idle1.caf 1</CAL_out_combat>
	<CAL_combat_idle duration="500">./animations/horse_idle1.caf 0</CAL_combat_idle>	        

need to be changed to:

<CAL_in_combat duration="500">./animations/horse_fight_in.caf 1</CAL_in_combat>
	<CAL_out_combat duration="500">./animations/horse_fight_out.caf 1</CAL_out_combat>
	<CAL_combat_idle duration="500">./animations/horse_fight_idle.caf 0</CAL_combat_idle>		        

- I patched (well, I hope :P) a bug during on site rotations sent by the server. FYI, it was due to different durations between standing idles of the actor and the horse. It was already there in the old horse code but since no fighting or aiming was possible, it was never observed (so technically, it wasn't a bug, just a feature :D ).

I also corrected the low camera height while on horse.

Pls post if you still find synch issues.

Cya \o

Edited by Fedora
spelling

about the thermal/bow bug, i remember seen it before in the game, on normal ranging (no horse)

it happens when the animation of shooting begins and you get attacked before you can shoot the arrow (usually by other attacker than the target). When the animation is stuck you can change the weapon but will see the bow anyway.

EDIT: found the bug report http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=52397&st=0&p=526358&hl=ranging&fromsearch=1entry526358

Edited by dipi

We had some tests now with the latest client that should incorporate Fedora's fixes, and we still have horse disappearing issues (although I never seen it myself). However, a bigger problem is that now when you are ranging and aiming from a horse you will be standing inside the horse, as was reported here: http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=54283&view=findpost&p=543209 Now it seems that it always happens though.

However, a bigger problem is that now when you are ranging and aiming from a horse you will be standing inside the horse, as was reported here: http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=54283&view=findpost&p=543209 Now it seems that it always happens though.

Mmm...my anim_boe1.xml and anim_bow2.xml have the following lines:

<CAL_range_in duration="1000" sound="Bow In">./animations/player_bow_in.caf 1</CAL_range_in>
<CAL_range_out duration="1000" sound="Bow Out">./animations/player_bow_out.caf 1</CAL_range_out>
<CAL_range_idle duration="500">./animations/player_bow_idle.caf 1</CAL_range_idle>
<CAL_range_fire duration="1000" sound="Bow Fire">./animations/player_bow_fire.caf 1</CAL_range_fire>
<CAL_range_fire_out duration="1000" sound="Bow Fire Out">./animations/player_bow_fire_out.caf 1</CAL_range_fire_out>

<CAL_range_in_held duration="1000" sound="Bow In">./animations/player_bow_in.caf 1</CAL_range_in_held>
<CAL_range_out_held duration="1000" sound="Bow Out">./animations/player_bow_out.caf 1</CAL_range_out_held>
<CAL_range_idle_held duration="500">./animations/player_bow_idle.caf 1</CAL_range_idle_held>
<CAL_range_fire_held duration="1000" sound="Bow Fire">./animations/player_bow_fire.caf 1</CAL_range_fire_held>
<CAL_range_fire_out_held duration="1000" sound="Bow Fire Out">./animations/player_bow_fire_out.caf 1</CAL_range_fire_out_held>

So the same animation is played if you are standing or sitting on a horse. Either I messed up badly with my defs files or some animations are missing.

For the disappearing horses, I'll look into it. It would be helpful if someone can find how to reproduce it :P.

The synch issues are gone?

Edited by Fedora

Did you download our data files? Can you reproduce the problem?

Schmurk modified some ranging stuff to prevent the "get stuck in aiming position" bug, maybe his fix affected it?

Did you download our data files? Can you reproduce the problem?

Schmurk modified some ranging stuff to prevent the "get stuck in aiming position" bug, maybe his fix affected it?

I'm using files from http://www.eternal-lands.com/el_update_191_rc1.zip. There are no player_bow_*_held.caf animations in animations/ nor in anim_bow*.xml...can someone else confirm this?

I can't reproduce the disappearing horse bug (can I have the command queues from someone with this bug?), but I found another damned synch issue which I will correct tonight :P

Other than this, I ranged to death every single moving animal in votd while changing weapons and no "get stuck" bug happened.

I don't have any _held animations for bows in my files, I'm guessing we never made them and you just altered the code? It was working before so I'm guessing that's it. If needed I can make those blended animations like we did with the emotes and add them and hope that'll work.

Ok, I should have patched the (hopefully) last synch problem. CVS updated, debug messages still on.

For the _held bows animations...I must admit I don't remember what we decided, but surely I wrote no special code to handle them. I play _held animations if actor has a horse, and the frames are specified in the xml.

So yes, I guess adding the blended animations shoudl do the trick :)

Edited by Fedora

hi, the horse detach issue is still in effect.

I can reproduce it on my notebook even with the latest cvs.

with the same binary and data i did not succeed in reproducing it on a quad-cpu.

for investigation i putted all collected stuff on to my web-site.

http://greypal.el-fd.org/screenshots/test/

the README states the common things. To distinguish on which machine i tested i created 2 subdirs.

what i noticed on the quad-cpu is, also at some time the horse and actor queue is filled up to half.

maybe it only shows a effect on "slower" systems.

on the notebook i have often that the horse gots locked completely after a "miss" shot and the horse continues to move after a successful shot.

i made some screenshots see elscreen073 and elscreen074 in the notebook directory.

in all cases the target is somehow moving maybe out of range (too far) or behind blocking objects (no line of fire) ot just a miss.

since a movie created on the notebook does not show everything i didnt record it.

i had it only once on the quad-cpu a few days agos when i posted the actor_queue and the corresponding .ogg file, it was only a short slip off the horse and the horse moved somewhat delayed.

i putted complete session-console-logs into both directories. in the quad-cpu dir there is also a .ogg file to the corresponding .log.txt file.

it's now 5:25 a.m. and i need some sleep.