Eternal Lands Official Forums
bkc56

Make achievements more interesting and more useful

As it currently stands achievements are kind of subtle. There's no master list or ranking, and the only way to view them is to view a specific person's information. So I'd like to suggest a few things...

1. Create a top-N list on the player ranking page for achievements. I could be based either on a simply count of achievements, or a weighted count (after all a tutorial that cost 1M+gc to complete is "worth" more than something like the wine quest). It's one more way for people to distinguish themselves from everyone else.

2. Add a #achievement (or #achieve) command in-game (like #pki) that lists your current completed achievements and lists the achievements you're currently working on (those you've receive a message about).

3. Since achievements already include some quests, make them include ALL the quests. After all the data is already saved for the character, it just needs a text name to list, which could be as simple as the NPC's name.

The above would provided some competition to complete achievements/quests (with the ranking), provide a larger number of them to spread out the ranking, as well as make the #achieve command really useful for checking what achievements, tutorials, and quests you have completed.

2. Add a #achievement (or #achieve) command in-game (like #pki) that lists your current completed achievements and lists the achievements you're currently working on (those you've receive a message about).

In make.conf there is an option:

#FEATURES += ACHIEVEMENTS # Display player achievements window when use eye cursor on player

Haven't tried it though.

edit: ok I tried it and when I use eye cursor on someone it says: Failed to load achievement data

guess not working yet, probably will be some info in server update some day

Edited by krlc

In make.conf there is an option:

#FEATURES += ACHIEVEMENTS # Display player achievements window when use eye cursor on player

Haven't tried it though.

Looks like something that'll need server side support to work, so activating that option might for now crash the client (or it might not, or only when using a command, or...). So, use at your own risk, and keep another version of the client handy ;)

Only Entropy (or perhaps one of the client developers) can tell us for sure afaik.

Looks like something that'll need server side support to work, so activating that option might for now crash the client (or it might not, or only when using a command, or...). So, use at your own risk, and keep another version of the client handy ;)

Only Entropy (or perhaps one of the client developers) can tell us for sure afaik.

Crash the client indeed! :stare:

All that is needed is the updated data from the new test release.

Clicking on someone with the eyeball icon and seeing their achievements is now active in the 2nd test client. I tested it this morning.

Clicking random people gives you a decent idea of what achievements there are. There is even an explanation of what the heck that achievement requires to get it. All in all, it is an awesome feature.

Clicking on someone with the eyeball icon and seeing their achievements is now active in the 2nd test client. I tested it this morning.

Clicking random people gives you a decent idea of what achievements there are. There is even an explanation of what the heck that achievement requires to get it. All in all, it is an awesome feature.

Agree, just missing the option to turn it off :P ( I keep looking at myself while training and my achievements suck :blush: )

Crash the client indeed! :stare:

All that is needed is the updated data from the new test release.

A: What do you prefer: ppl being careful or getting complaints about 'it doesn't work'?

B: I posted BEFORE the second test was published (the one where Entropy wanted us to activate that option and we got those new data)

:brooding:

As a sidenote: there wasn't a 'Feature += ACHIEVEMENTS' in the CVS update I got that day, there was a 'FEATURE += AWARDS'

A: What do you prefer: ppl being careful or getting complaints about 'it doesn't work'?

B: I posted BEFORE the second test was published (the one where Entropy wanted us to activate that option and we got those new data)

As a sidenote: there wasn't a 'Feature += ACHIEVEMENTS' in the CVS update I got that day, there was a 'FEATURE += AWARDS'

The 'Feature += ACHIEVEMENTS' arrived in CVS on Nov 25, previously it was indeed called AWARDS. You were just out of date with your "CVS update". In my comment I was attempting to be light hearted at your suggestion that the code I'd written would crash and burn just because you didn't have the required server support and/or data files. I try to do better than that. Note to self, humour via an international forum posts is more tricky than it appears. :P

Edited by bluap

The 'Feature += ACHIEVEMENTS' arrived in CVS on Nov 25, previously it was indeed called AWARDS. You were just out of date with your "CVS update". In my comment I was attempting to be light hearted at your suggestion that the code I'd written would crash and burn just because you didn't have the required server support and/or data files. I try to do better than that. Note to self, humour via an international forum posts is more tricky than it appears. :P

:) In that case, my apologies on both counts. Humour in text form can indeed be easily misunderstood...

I did a fresh CVS checkout after seeing Entropy's message about a new test client. However, I got a warning about a conflict for make.default, that might have been the cause of me retaining the 'AWARDS' option.

:) In that case, my apologies on both counts. Humour in text form can indeed be easily misunderstood...

I did a fresh CVS checkout after seeing Entropy's message about a new test client. However, I got a warning about a conflict for make.default, that might have been the cause of me retaining the 'AWARDS' option.

My apologies too, I'm glad we got that sorted. :) The rename was unfortunate but worth doing for consistency, I had cvs conflict issues too but having caused them myself, had the advantage of knowing why and what was needed.