Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Client update test

Even with CVS from few mins ago, i still have no legs when i test medallions.

Yes, you're right. It just started happening again here too :/

Toggling 'animation porgram' on and off doesn't change anything. Neither does taking pants off.

Edited by hussam

*CVS updated*

Please test the following things:

- The warning in error_log about missing "255" attachment should be gone

- When resynching or logging near fighting players (on horse or not) the crash reported by Thery should not happen

Also, try some emotes before and after starting to walk while on a horse, they should be synch'd, but you never can tell :P

@Entropy

What are you sending as default code for neck items? I'm getting a value of 100.

It does not cause a crash, but some memory issues when trying to copy the corresponding and not existing actor def (tnx Bluap). Should I add a check?

I built a test-client for Mac OSX.

Had only time for a quick test but horses and neck items worked fine so far.

There are no more '255' warnings but I get the same strange 'file not found' errors with garbage-filenames that others already reported, though I got no crashes so far...

got another crash:

[17:26:13] el_open_custom(): EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ŠÂ>�

û> ŠÂ>ÿ à> ¦>¨

ø> ¦>·ÎÝ>`é¶>$û>n{´>ƒmÞ>³±>��Ø>;’ >Ö ?¶KÇ>Ö ?¶KÇ>�?^X >£j

?¸Â¤>Ö ?½¤¤>ÆP?œÂ>Ö ?œÀ>‡5?c´>Ö in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 179)

[17:26:13] unable to add an attached actor: illegal/missing actor definition 255

Last message repeated 2 times

[17:26:20] el_open_custom(): EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ŠÂ>�

û> ŠÂ>ÿ à> ¦>¨

[17:26:20] unable to add an attached actor: illegal/missing actor definition 255

[17:26:20] el_open_custom(): EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ŠÂ>�

û> ŠÂ>ÿ à> ¦>¨

[17:26:21] unable to add an attached actor: illegal/missing actor definition 255

Last message repeated 3 times

[17:26:50] Bad light (number 3) when loading './maps/map2_cave.elm'; co-ords [-3.509648 35.421036 3.000000] colour [1.000000 1.000000 1.000000]

[17:26:50] unable to add an attached actor: illegal/missing actor definition 255

Last message repeated 1 time

[17:26:50] el_open_custom(): EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ŠÂ>�

û> ŠÂ>ÿ à> ¦>¨

[17:26:51] unable to add an attached actor: illegal/missing actor definition 255

Video card: GeForce 8600M GT/PCI/SSE2

Vendor ID: NVIDIA Corporation

OpenGL Version: 3.2.0

P.S.

got some more crashes, i just roll back to old client, but will test the next version, like the new Client but the crashes not :/

Edited by Cyberwulf

I also have the "legs disappearing" problem.

The problem seems to be in the add_enhanced_actor_from_server function or in the data sent from the server. If I ignore the data from the server and set neck to 0 (Line 637 in new_actors.c) it seems to work. (Otherwise neck is set to 100 which is much too high)

@Entropy

What are you sending as default code for neck items? I'm getting a value of 100.

It does not cause a crash, but some memory issues when trying to copy the corresponding and not existing actor def (tnx Bluap). Should I add a check?

Not sure what I am sending, because we didn't discuss the proper protocol values for that. In fact, I don't think we should have even enabled the neck items public testing until the server supports it.

Can you send me an e-mail with the values you want to use and stuff?

Hey sorry it took so long to post the pics of the rendering strangeness I am getting. Made sure I updated my drivers and made sure I could replicate it multiple times. Seems to only happen outdoors during the day. Can't get it to happen at night near any light source, this might be because of the nature of what ever global illumination is used during the day. Anyway here you go:

rendering.jpg

Could just be the way EL engine renders but in animation those kinds of visual errors are generally due to extra line/points/polygons or the one on the nose could be light shining through a single sided polygon that should be double or reversed.

Ok tell me I'm crazy xD

Oh and pc info:

AMD Athlon 64 FX-74 3.00Ghz processors(2)

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Nvidia GTX 465 Driver version: 8.17.12.6099

Elf ninja, that's just the shadows. Turn them off and it won't do that. It sucks but, unless you know how to program that stuff really well who knows if there's anything that can be done about it :P

getting preaty much the same effects as everyone,..but no crashes...leg disapear when i use the #set_neck, and the horse sometimes rides a bit away from me..here are some picks...

at least it saves on the saddle sores ;P

http://s723.photobuc...elscreen019.png

http://s723.photobuc...elscreen015.png

http://s723.photobuc...16.png&newest=1

oh..and 1 more thing...when i leave the coal cave and enter ws,..my screen momentarily goes white,..but only for a second. then it goes back to normal.

ok..just tried ...#set_neck 0 ...the medallion went away,..but my legs didnt come back......dont know if it helps,..but just thought i would mention it :)

here are some pics fighting from horse...seems ok if you call it from outside, and you are standing still

http://s723.photobucket.com/albums/ww236/tagid/?action=view&current=elscreen024.png

http://s723.photobucket.com/albums/ww236/tagid/?action=view&current=elscreen025.png

http://s723.photobucket.com/albums/ww236/tagid/?action=view&current=elscreen026.png

http://s723.photobucket.com/albums/ww236/tagid/?action=view&current=elscreen027.png

http://s723.photobucket.com/albums/ww236/tagid/?action=view&current=elscreen027.png

Edited by tagid

Been using new client for a few hours now. Looks great, chain mails look great, items have a better edge to them now. Action bar stands out (first thing i noticed). I like the 'empty bag auto' option on the get all in inv, one click is great. Love how you can play with the quickbar, making it dragable and flipable. Great work, still trying playing around looking for the hidden changes that will make a difference. Only one thing i have noticed with the horse, horse dissapears when map change. Great work :)

I'm sure this is already known, but: my legs don't disappear now with the medallion rendering being sent by the server when i equip a medallion. :)

I have installed it and so far everything is working good. I like the graphics update, looks great. Haven't had much time yet to test it out but am looking forward to discovering the new features.

Female characters get the round medallions and the star medallion partially covered by the plate mails (Tested steel, titanium, red and black dragon) and to a lesser extent covered by the chain mail. From the male characters I've seen since the server update seems to be no issues :)

Edited by Motters

Compiled from CVS tonight.

Linux

Video card: GeForce GT 220/PCI/SSE2

Vendor ID: NVIDIA Corporation

OpenGL Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 260.19.06

No problems so far.

Neck items work for me on female character.

Tested with steel plate mail and ice dragon mail:

elscreen010.png

elscreen012.png

For my dwarf the medallions are hardly visible due the big bushy beard.

Personally I don't see it as a bug, just wanted you to know in case you want them visible for all in PK.

a little visual bug on fox scarf when using capes, a little square is cutted off and covered by the cape

5576617scarf.jpg

...i know i should use a different color cape xD

I've set up a sync'ed copy of sir_odie's custom clothes server in 3 variants, 2 for the "new" client,

just read "http://clothes.el-fd.org/" for instructions.

I also appreciate positive or negative feedback.

I discussed with sir_odie why he decided not to compress all bmp files by default. He was reported in the past that some users had problems with compressed files.

So that is what variant 3 addresses, all files compressed.

Edited by Greypal

I have the same issue as tagid, with the horse being displaced from me, but so far it has only happened when calling up the horse while moving. Furthermore until I stop moving, the character will walk along side the horse at whatever displacement.

And it's the horse that's displaced, not the character.

System:

Intel® Core2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs)

2046MB RAM

Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3

NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT

Driver Version: 6.14.0011.7813 (English)

Ok you all can test the neck items by typing: #set_neck username #

where # can be from 0-13. Please test this as much as possible and if you notice anything strange with the models post screenshots!

Also, we need testing done for fighting on horses! Type #horse username and a testing horse will show up for you to ride. Fight monsters, each other, during invasions, etc..change armor/weapons/magic try all kinds of things with this. Post screenshots and details of anything odd with the models or animations.

Typing #horse while sitting on a chair, then walking off, results in the char walking off, followed by the horse about a second later (out of sync). This is similar to the other synchronization issues reported by others.

My client crashed (segfault) "[01:16:18] Inconsistency between queues of attached actors asgnny �HIM (30) and (-1)!" when I typed #horse a second time (to dismount) while sitting on a chair, (in the IP underground), facing east. My character immediately disappeared (with the horse still remaining), and the client crashes a few seconds later. I was able to repeat this twice in a row, but not a third time.

Edit: After sitting still for a while on the same chair, and dismounting (#horse), once again, my character disappeared. When I typed #horse again, a second horse was superimposed over the first. I was unable to walk. I tried #set_neck on myself, and it said no actor found. I tried #set_neck on a nearby character, and that finally crashed the client.

[01:29:47] Inconsistency between queues of attached actors asgnny �HIM (269) and (-1)!

Last message repeated 35 times

[01:47:02] Unable to add command 26 - 269

[01:47:04] Unable to add command 25 - 269

[01:47:08] Unable to add command 22 - 269

[01:47:16] Unable to add command 13 - 269

[01:47:21] Unable to add command 14 - 269

[01:47:21] Unable to add command 20 - 269

[01:47:22] Unable to add command 24 - 269

[01:47:23] Unable to add command 25 - 269

[01:47:26] Unable to add command 24 - 269

[01:47:26] Unable to add command 23 - 269

[01:47:27] Unable to add command 20 - 269

[01:48:11] actor not found (trying to add a medallion to my invisible self)

[01:48:14] actor not found (same)

[01:48:25] actor found, adding neck item (client crashed)

#Edit 2:

I was able to add a horse to creatures (such as brownies and rabbits), though not bots. When I killed the brownie or rabbit, my client crashed. (I realize rabbits are not meant to have horses, though I thought this may be pertinent in case future monsters are mounted).

Edited by asgnny

I've fixed one of the crashes: #horse player1, #horse player2, #horse player1 -> crash. However, this would only happy with the #horse command not if they were "real" horses. The crash while fighting creatures (I tried spiders) is because they don't have weapons and the weapon structure is being accessed. We could fix this by adding lots of checks to the code (OK the proper way) but I guess it will never happen in "real" play. We could also hide the problem by limiting the #horse command to players. I presume if two mounted players were fighting, it would be fine (I'm off to try PK....). Judging by what I've seen, the actor code is little fragile in many places if we start to do unexpected things.....

Edit: Two mounted players fighting is fine.

Edited by bluap

Thumb is cut off by the bone (too far "back")

med_gallery_8208_12_29614.jpg

Note: This actor is on a horse, which makes the viewing angle more severe.

Edit:

Unrelated issue, also likely because the #horse command is a purely visual effect: While harvesting, when I hit a teleport nexus, the horse disappears. I'll try to grab sigils and essences for teleport to range for further testing. I'm not sure whether this phenomenon is the case for "real" horses.

Edited by asgnny

I've fixed one of the crashes: #horse player1, #horse player2, #horse player1 -> crash. However, this would only happy with the #horse command not if they were "real" horses. The crash while fighting creatures (I tried spiders) is because they don't have weapons and the weapon structure is being accessed. We could fix this by adding lots of checks to the code (OK the proper way) but I guess it will never happen in "real" play. We could also hide the problem by limiting the #horse command to players. I presume if two mounted players were fighting, it would be fine (I'm off to try PK....). Judging by what I've seen, the actor code is little fragile in many places if we start to do unexpected things.....

Edit: Two mounted players fighting is fine.

The #horse command was initially there for players only, then I briefly extended it for monsters for the pleasure to see a riding orc :P. However at present, the horse code is meant to function for players only, with some synch assumptions: while on horse you can't sit, when you get an horse you must be standing still. These must be enforced by the server when sending the mount (which happens by resending the enhanced actor).

The actor code isn't little fragile, it's very fragile :D It mantains two command queues, one for the actor and one for the horse, that are in synch only when walking. When fighting, the horse queue is frozen with a "wait" command and the synching is made "by hand" in the various code branches for fight actions. If a "sit" or "stand" ends up in the horse queue it is processed without a corresponding animation = no synching.

For the camera issue, I'll look into it asap. I think the horse shift is simply not added to the position of the actors' head...

Cya ^^

I have been using the new client and sometimes experience random crashes. The latest one tonight produced the following error log:

Log started at 2010-12-07 18:51:29 localtime (West-Europa (standaardtijd))

(*a lot of complaints about missing sounds *)

[18:52:04] unable to add an attached actor: illegal/missing actor definition 255

Last message repeated 459 times

[22:43:45] Error generating buffer: Invalid Operation

[22:44:02] unable to add an attached actor: illegal/missing actor definition 255

This crash happened as I approached votd sto, I had been there before and it was not particularly busy.

Using Win 7 on a Dell laptop

#glinfo

Video card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series

Vendor ID: ATI Technologies Inc.

OpenGL Version: 4.0.10151 Compatibility Profile Context