Eternal Lands Official Forums
Stone

Making Pickaxes...

With the mini events the gc income covers the loss of a pick pretty well. So the gc-sink-argument does not count anymore (at least that's my opinion).

Did i mention that picks should be open for manufacturing?

The problem is, what should be used to make it.... a wood handle is a good option, though it is NPC-only too. Looking at the use for wood handles and the use for the made result, maybe being able to make/harvest a wood handle is not that a bad idea too. The saw will cover the gc sink as necessary tool (i hope).

To where the experience should go..i have no idea, manu of course or maybe a split manu/eng exp., higher-low lvl item.

Now the cost compared to the NPC price may be out of proportion in some way (depends on the ings and the "way to make"), but since when is that a criterion for not implementing something :happy: . The use is up to the users.

Please take it into consideration :icon13:

With the current iron/steel bar prices and wooden handle prices, we would need to be able to make 10 pickaxes from 1 wooden handle and 1 iron/steel bar.

This is not an argument against making pickaxes, but just a not on what would be cost effective.

Of course, the wooden handles have absolutely no reason to cost 100gc.....it is only wood for crying out loud. Cut the price for the wooden handle to 10gc and we could try mixing 1 iron bar and 5 wooden handles for a pickaxe costing about 17gc.

If we could make the wooden handles from logs with a high fail rate (only 1/3 logs would be suitable for making a handle), then the handles could probably be made for 7gc.

wooden handle:

Items needed: 5-10 wood branches (or logs, but if logs a saw might also be required)

Tools required: Iron Axe, Carving Knife

:whistle:  

The cost effectiveness can also be covered with different rate of breaks - make the pickaxe manufactured by players a slightly different item. Won't break so often, but you get more injuries using one. Also have a chance to make a special pickaxe, one that has bigger break rate but also more chance for special stones, or added health regeneration or chance to not stop harvesting on minievent. Something ppl pay tons of gc but get practically nothing in return. Oh, and those fancy picks should glow, and old bulk picks should have "Made in MM by Tankel" when using eye icon and every time they break you curse Tankel.

I really like the idea of making pickaxes.

And if you could make a more durable pickaxe - the better ;)

There is no need for pickaxe with health regen or higher chance for special items etc, just make em more durable - then it does not matter if they'll cost more.

Make one cost 150gc instead of 15, but make it 10x more durable... I'm sure it would be mass produced item :)

Maybe crafting could be used to make one:

Required materials: 1 pickaxe, 1 titanium bar, 1 steel bar, 10 fire essences, 10 water essences
Knowledge needed: Enhanced Tools Building, Enhanced Pickaxe Building
Required nexus: Artificial 4, Magic 3
Recommended Crafting level: tbd (maybe around 40-50)
Crafting experience: tbd (maybe around 150)
Food substracted: 25
Weight: 10 EMU

Description:

Enhanced Pickaxe
Used for mining various ore.
This pickaxe has been enhanced with steel and titanium,
to be more durable.
(Same stats as normal pickaxe)

I like groomsh's idea. I'd use enhanced pickaxes if they existed, but I doubt this will be implemented. Pickaxes are a huge goldsink. If there were pickaxes that lasted 10 times as long, and people used them, general stores would sell a lot less pickaxes.

If there was a way to get pickaxes that broke less often, but still took as much gc out of the game as regular pickaxes, I think that would please players and radu.

If there was a way to get pickaxes that broke less often, but still took as much gc out of the game as regular pickaxes, I think that would please players and radu.

I use always Harvest med and break very few pickaxes, 3 for each Harvest med I break.

(most of what I harvest is iron ore, coal and silver ore)

If an enhanced pickaxe could make Harvest meds more durable would I buy, even for a high price.

wooden handle:

Items needed: 5-10 wood branches (or logs, but if logs a saw might also be required)

Tools required: Iron Axe, Carving Knife

:whistle:  

Branches wouldn't be use for handles, since in general they wouldn't be big enough and you wouldn't want to use server pieces of wood to make a handle. Better to use logs, and the Axe could still be used there anyways.

It would interesting to start a whole new skill which would allow players to make various items but some of the items like pickaxes appear just to be ways to take money out of game or fill slots in inventory since they are unstackable.

I like the idea... but as other said needs to be adjusted to make a gold sink, and other issues :)

Im like the idea to have a Pick Axe ther am mor durable then normal Pick Axe from the NPC.

Pick Axe breakup a lot, if im mix in a Bag im need to get 10 with me and somtime im break all.

Maybe teh Crafting Formular can be: 1 Wood Handle, 2 Steel Bars and 10 Fire Essenmce. And will give 1 Steel Pick Axe

The Ingredient price is around 280 gc for thet you can buy ~18,7 normal Pick Axe but ther will give exp if you mix tehm so tehr ar ~12 times mor durable tehn normal Pick axe? of cors im will lovie it, if its ~15 times mor durable.

Im like the idea teht Wooden Handle ar mixable too... but if the Ingredient ar only 1 Wood Log the EXP must verry small for it.

Im surre many Harvesters have still an intrest in this topick.

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=57207

@ ghost 30, if you break 10 pickaxes in an hour, what's the big deal, you loose 150gc ..

Why don't you simply accept that you have to love MN .

I still would prefer making the picks instead of running to the gen sto, even if i lose gc.

And i am still pointing at the gc sink argument that might prevent that suggestion to come true...buying pickaxes from NPC is not a sink anymore...for years now.

Even MN has to accept changes...and she still hates you!

Yes, 3 times using 'still' still makes this post relevant.

Oh, come on....4

They're incredibly cheap, and easily stocked in VotD, even more easily stocked in EVTR. Hell in EVTR you can stock several hundred in a matter of minutes without even closing the storage window.

The only thing this could possibly benefit is anti's. Because they can be so easily stocked and cheaply at that, I am against anything that could possibly make anti easier, which is the only benefit to this.

1,884 pickaxes broken and counting... and not caring.

Add to that every suggestion above puts the cost way above the NPC price. We see already from tons of other things that once ing cost goes higher than the NPC price, stuff stops being made. This is dead before it even happens. I'd rather see other things being worked on than something that would just be a waste of coding time.

Compare to M&P, 100gc each, much more costly than el cheapo pickaxes. 1,992 broken, more than pickaxes. Yet essentially every one was bought from NPC, not made despite that they can be made. Ings make it not really worth making them. The same thing would happen to pickaxes, even more so since they're so cheap.

Edited by Burn

The only thing this could possibly benefit is anti's.

yes, exactly. Antisocial is too easy at the moment. making pickaxes manufacturable makes antisocial even less of a negative perk. There should still be some advantage for people who aren't antisocial.

They're incredibly cheap, and easily stocked in VotD, even more easily stocked in EVTR. Hell in EVTR you can stock several hundred in a matter of minutes without even closing the storage window.

The only thing this could possibly benefit is anti's. Because they can be so easily stocked and cheaply at that, I am against anything that could possibly make anti easier, which is the only benefit to this.

I wholeheartedly agree. Antisocial perk for many is just free PP's, and should not be made easier!

Edited by evilmangopie

I'd rather see other things being worked on than something that would just be a waste of coding time.

I see your point there. Of course there are more important things to focus on.

I just do not understand why the higher cost of making the item yourself would cause any trouble at all?! It is too expensive to make? Well lets see the NPC!

And that is the only point i agree on, that it might not be used as much compared to the time it may take to implement (or to buy from NPCs). But i would use it!

It has been 2 years now and i think the necro was not the worst on this forum (thank you ;) ), even a horse would agree....

But really.... you blame a suggestion like this to be a major concern about 'broken' perks? Ok... erm...legal multiplaying caused a raise in the cost of everything (nerves included). I am all against it! [/sarcasm off]

The pick is an item that keeps some people from taking anti. If you turn it into a manufactured item people will take the anti pp's.

And its a cheap item. Some things are meant to stay the way they are.

I wholeheartedly agree. Antisocial perk for many is just free PP's, and should not be made easier!

The pick is an item that keeps some people from taking anti. If you turn it into a manufactured item people will take the anti pp's.

And its a cheap item. Some things are meant to stay the way they are.

Exactly, otherwise I will be first to cry out for cheap makeable training (PKs are, but still more expensive) arrows/bolts.

I was going to say YES to being able to make our own picks, but read further down the thread and changed my mind. Can't make the Anti-Social Perk too easy and need some place to soak up excess gc from the game to keep the inflation down.

+1