Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Extra critical chance

After watching some people fighting afk for hours (those with very low attack and really high defense), or people multi training on 8 monsters at once without even restoring, I came up with an idea that will solve this problem and also add a bit more use to summoning.

The idea is that each combatant entity will have a low (1% or so) chance per hit to score 10 damage regardless of the enemy modifiers (skills, attributes and armor). In the big scheme of things that won't make a difference, but it would affect those who abuse the system by afk training. And would also make some summons more useful, especially those that summon a lot of creatures at once, because they would have a higher chance of actually inflicting a bit of damage, and not just acting as tanks. Invasions will also be slightly affected, in the sense that if a pro player decides to go and fight 1000 rats he or she will also take a bit of damage.

Then some summoned monsters can have a higher extra critical chance, making them more useful.

So what do you think?

I like it a lot although I think 15 to 20 damage would be better to really disturb afk training. By increasing the random damage I don't think fighters/PKers will complain either as many agree melee combat can use a bit of a boost in outgoing damage -- if you were to apply this to PVP as well which I think would be great....

Edited by LuciferX

The exact values will be tuned out later, to find the best balance between making afk training dangerous/hard and not disturbing normal play.

Rather than a somewhat arbitrary "1% chance of 10 damage", i'd prefer something more integrated into the current system.

So everyone understands, i'll explain what's happening right now. These people radu's concerned about are only taking damage when this happens:

Their opponent scores critical-to-hit and then also scores critical-to-damage.

If their opponent only scores critical-to-hit, the players armor absorbs all the damage.

If their opponents chance of critical-to-hit is 5%, and their chance for critical-to-damage was also 5%, then they'll only damage the player 0.25% of the time.

What I would suggest is that when critical-to-hit is rolled, some damage is always inflicted, rather than possibly being absorbed. A guaranteed 10 damage would be too high (because i'm quite certain that the minimum chance for crit-hit built into the combat roll is already much more than 1%, and then there's the bonuses to it that creatures have and that we get from weps/books), a d4 would be best imo.

Of course if the outcome of the combat roll would have been more damage than the d4 then the higher figure should be used.

That's my suggestion/opinion anyway.

If 1% chance of 10 dmg is the only option, i'm not against it.

The exact values will be tuned out later, to find the best balance between making afk training dangerous/hard and not disturbing normal play.

I support the idea, especially with the addition of this statement.

How about it only affects people with 10+ gap between attack and defense or the actual critical damage would depend on how much you are defending/absorbing damage?

For example, someone with high defense/toughness, trains on feros, only restores twice an hour and can stay 12 hours on spawn would get more penalized than someone who trains on a monster and can't stay on spawn more than two to three hours.

There will always be indications as to whether someone is afk training or not so no need to penalize normal game play as much as much as unfair afk training.

Another suggestion, how about the higher your critical to damage/hit weapon, the more chance the monster you are fighting will deal critical to hit/damage blows to you? This will reduce afk training dchims for example with titanium long or better. Or make monsters have a x% chance to mirror critical to hit/damage hits.

Another suggestion is remove the current stock 5% chance of evading a hit regarless of a/d. If I remember correctly that was added when evanescence perk was fixed.

In other words, instead of exact values, make them dependent on how the player is performing in combat.

Edited by hussam

What does implementing this break? (If anything) Perhaps the community could help you devise a solution to any side consequences that this may introduce.

I like not healing :) It does require some skills or special build, not like everyone runs around in the shopping mall when their char keeps on training...

Edit: I heal with sop/mol I guess that doesn't count as *not* healing...

Edited by ProHibited

After watching some people fighting afk for hours (those with very low attack and really high defense), or people multi training on 8 monsters at once without even restoring, I came up with an idea that will solve this problem and also add a bit more use to summoning.

The idea is that each combatant entity will have a low (1% or so) chance per hit to score 10 damage regardless of the enemy modifiers (skills, attributes and armor). In the big scheme of things that won't make a difference, but it would affect those who abuse the system by afk training. And would also make some summons more useful, especially those that summon a lot of creatures at once, because they would have a higher chance of actually inflicting a bit of damage, and not just acting as tanks. Invasions will also be slightly affected, in the sense that if a pro player decides to go and fight 1000 rats he or she will also take a bit of damage.

Then some summoned monsters can have a higher extra critical chance, making them more useful.

So what do you think?

I think this is a great idea. Just as we have harvest events so you cant go afk harvest forever, this would make it more reasonable.

Don't wanna be disrespectful but,

Radu, I wonder what you expected as a response, you do it everytime when you suggest an idea then you say "I didnt get what I expected", This happened with joule stone too I guess, you gave us just a few days and people started to collect the ingreds, you said "I'll remove it next update because people dont give a crap".

I'm really NOT blaming you or meaning something disrespectful or bad. I just wanted to ask what you did expect, most of people (this means people except Korrode) said they liked the idea,

What else we need to say?

PS: Dont hate me please :unsure:

I just wanted to ask what you did expect, most of people (this means people except Korrode) said they liked the idea,

And even i said i'm not against it :P

(but fyi Kaddy you didn't hear everything in-game @6, and we can only speculate on what PM's radu may have gotten)

Edited by Korrode

Treat it like Harvesting - after a period of time (much longer than ridiculous short between harvest events) the player encounters the equivalent of a teleport nexus and is moved to different location.

Treat it like Harvesting - after a period of time (much longer than ridiculous short between harvest events) the player encounters the equivalent of a teleport nexus and is moved to different location.

Sorry, but teleporting stuff doesn't make ANY sense at all in combat...

And it does in harvesting? :confused:

The LotR movies make a good case for someone getting smacked a LONG distance in a battle. That's almost a teleport.

First: Entropy, you should know by now that posting any idea on forum is going to generate a lot of unneeded/unwanted responses, ranging from unrelated/useless ideas to flames. So only thing is to ignore the spam and take the occasional useful comment and idea.

Second: I like the idea, afk fighting shouldn't be possible, at least not for any length of time. But I think I can see a possible problem: 10 HP damage in the course of normal combat is a lot to some players while being negligible to others. So I think the damage needs to be relative, either to the max damage of the mob or the max HP of the player.

And it does in harvesting? :confused:

The LotR movies make a good case for someone getting smacked a LONG distance in a battle. That's almost a teleport.

Sure, but I think that teleporting would more than anything only annoy people, extra damage from combat, relative to the strenght of mob is much more sensible. 10HP damage for all mobs seems a bit unbalanced IMO, for example rabbits and beavers giving newbies with under 30HP very hard beating? Maybe it should be reserved to monsters only, not animals

(afkers don't train at animals anyway, as they are not hostile to them...).

Mayby there should be sth like that you have to "confirm" that you're attaced by monster by clicking (attacking) mob... if you don't do this e.g. 3 times EL will shut down. I don't know do I express clear. If not ask me, i'll try to explain it better.

Mayby there should be sth like that you have to "confirm" that you're attaced by monster by clicking (attacking) mob... if you don't do this e.g. 3 times EL will shut down. I don't know do I express clear. If not ask me, i'll try to explain it better.

I have seen it in other games, that they send players to sleep after a given AFK time.

Why not do a combination of that?

After, lets say, 5 or 10 minutes or so, the player goes to sleep but still can read all chat channels he joined. The actor is then removed from the game.

To come back in game, the player must type #wakeup, this will be a teleport to the coordinates where the player was before.

To stop fighting against 8 monsters afk, well, maybe change the combat system a bit. it's quite unrealistic, that you can fight against 8 enemies the same time. Maybe the first 3 enemies damage can be absorbed by armor or you can try to defend an attack, enemy 4-8 attacks cant be defended and they do full damage no matter what armor youre wearing.

This might ppl be even more careful in invasions too.

Piper

To stop fighting against 8 monsters afk, well, maybe change the combat system a bit. it's quite unrealistic, that you can fight against 8 enemies the same time. Maybe the first 3 enemies damage can be absorbed by armor or you can try to defend an attack, enemy 4-8 attacks cant be defended and they do full damage no matter what armor youre wearing.

Piper

And make TINF-perk (almost) useless? No thanks... I have it and I don't even afk train.

Edited by Miiks

I have seen it in other games, that they send players to sleep after a given AFK time.

Why not do a combination of that?

After, lets say, 5 or 10 minutes or so, the player goes to sleep but still can read all chat channels he joined. The actor is then removed from the game.

To come back in game, the player must type #wakeup, this will be a teleport to the coordinates where the player was before.

Piper

What's the point of having tinf perk then?

Hey radu! Anything that helps make summoning better; I support :D and on the afk-training topic - I feel that the critical damage done should be determined by the a/d level of the attacker (that way n00bs don't get "pwned"..and pr0s are "unaffected") but like korrode said; if 10 damage is the only option then that's fine :P but great idea! I apologize I haven't had the chance to respond sooner..don't be discouraged from improving the game!

And make TINF-perk (almost) useless? No thanks... I have it and I don't even afk train.

TINF perk is OP though.

Don't get me wrong, I plan to eventually get it myself, of course I do, it's OP. :P

If radu wanted to remove it from the game i'd vote yes.

Edited by Korrode