Eternal Lands Official Forums
Usl

Android widget: EL Time

Hello all,

while preparing stuff for a possible Android client, I wrote a little widget to keep me notified of current EL time and any special day that might happen. It uses information from Trinitybot (at http://trinity.el-bots.zapto.org/), and was inspired by bluap's similar applet for Gnome (https://launchpad.net/el-time-applet).

This is just a first version, I would be grateful if some of you with an Android phone could test it a let me know of any observation/suggestion they might have (by posting in this thread). The plan is to have it in the Android Market in a couple of weeks (that would also be a nice promotional opportunity for EL).

If you are reading the Programming forum, I trust you know how to install applications on your phone; the package is available at http://filebin.ca/ecdtq/ELTime.apk (you can directly go there from your phone's browser and install, or download and transfer via USB or Bluetooth to your phone, then install).

gallery_26967_17_4963.jpg

Hey got the app on my phone. Simple and clean. On an ordinary day the text does overlap the el logo on my phone at least. I'll watch and see how it looks on other days.

Also dunno if it's possible but being able to use a notification sound on special days you select from a list would be cool. Not sure if this is possible with widgets but thought i'd throw it out there.

@Ozmondius: Sorry Oz - time to ditch that old Palm and get a real phone or tablet! :D (seriously, I used to love Palm, but they are sluggish nowadays).

@Norm: the site seems to be down, and moreover that free hosting service would hold files only for a few weeks, so it has probably expired by now. I have a more advanced version ready, will post on Android Market immediately after the new client is out, so that if anyone downloads it and lands on the EL site, they can install the game straight away - or let's hope so! :whistle:

In the meantime, you can download the most recent version from this link and install it on your phone/tablet (that link will go away in a while as well). This version adds notification and smarter update, sensitive to when a wi-fi connection becomes available. As for the previous version, both memory use and battery consumption are absolutely minimal (in fact, I never managed to get it to use 1% of battery, even after several days of continuous running).

As usual, any suggestion is welcome!

@Elf_Ninja: yes, it would possible to add a custom sound, but that would also mean having a file browser to select it, and bloating the widget code consequently. Since it is something that will stay in memory at all times, I'm trying to keep it as simple and small as possible.

@Ozmondius: Sorry Oz - time to ditch that old Palm and get a real phone or tablet! :D (seriously, I used to love Palm, but they are sluggish nowadays).

Actually, the Palm Pre and Palm Pre Plus are the results of the Palm company and Hewlet Packard working together. The OS is one that HP has done based on Linux. I think it was called WebOS. The base of it is Linux, but like Android, it has stuff built on top of that. The days of the clunky old Palm OS are gone. It is merely a question of if the new Palm phones will survive.

WebOS development tools. One of those tools will let you develop for the new Palm phones online.

Edited by nathanstenzel

I'd also like to try it. :)

Let me update it so that it will also warn of Invances, then I will post a new link! 8)

Looks nice. I've just got myself an android phone and have been having a play with app development. Are you going to open source this app? I'd like to help if so...

<br />Looks nice.  I've just got myself an android phone and have been having a play with app development.  Are you going to open source this app?  I'd like to help if so...<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Ditto ... I'd like to see it either open sourced or developed enough to have it a free download from the marketplace so people can install it easily.

Yes, I've been doing Android dev work myself as well :)

Usl is busy with RL and so has asked me to set up a place where this code can be accessed and start to grow. It's still Usl's project but I'm doing what I offered and helping.

The source code is available as a gitHub project here. The code is as emailed to me by Usl with a minor change to fix a build issue (probably just a version thing).

It's easy to build and test using the android dev platform and eclipse. Just git clone the repository and import into an new project. I'm happy to manage pull requests and I guess we can have more devs on the project as people start to contribute.

I'm contemplating getting an android market account but until then, you can get a pre-build version here. Of course, you will need to enable installation of non-market place applications. Alternatively, point the camera of your device at this this QR code.

wO6nH.qr.png

Edited by bluap