Eternal Lands Official Forums
makuyi

3 months of EL playing

It has been 3 months now since I started playing this game and that means I am no longer a newbie now (I think). However I still like to use the newbie channel cause I always get a response there that helps me. The newbie channel is the best channel to keep new players in the game. I would very much like to see it used in a different way than it is used now, but I can also see the problems. Now it is used for questions-answers only. What I would have liked is a newbie channel where it is possible to interact a bit. For example, I felt quite good when I killed my first gargoyle and it would have been nice to share it. People share things on channel 6 when they say: I reached level so-and-so and others say gratz. I wonder what the reaction would be on channel 6 when every newbie told the readers he killed his first beaver.

I remember one conversation with 2 other new players about rabbits and that was fun until one player told us to stop misusing the newbie channel and I went back to my silent mode. I honestly believe that giving new players a place to talk about newbie-things would help people stay ingame.

They wont stay/talk/bother that channel for long cause they themselves dont want to hear about other players killing their first skunk after a while and they will move on to talking to their friends/guildmates.

I think that the only active EL chat channel is channel 6, but it seems to me it is more for PK players. What channel do the people use who talk about all the other skills? I guess I dont want to be a PK player; a lot of disputes start while PKing.

I still am not part of a guild. Of course that is my choice. The downside is that I still feel I am not really a part of the game; I hardly talk to people ( I do bother Pyewacket a lot with my questions, poor him). For me the advantage is that I dont feel obliged to do anything I dont feel up to and I do not get involved in any possible guild drama. So far I have not needed other people cause I am working on a lot of different skills to be self sufficient.

The best thing about this game for me is that I can do different things. When I am tired, I just mule and other days I mix and fight and explore the maps and its caves.

I am proud of how far I already got into this game. att/def/har/alc all around 50, mag/pot/man/cra between 20 and 30.

There are still a lot of things I dont know one bit about. Instances are one of them, but all in due time. It is nice to know that I can play this game for some time to come without getting bored. Yep, I like it here.

Edited by makuyi

B) Glad to see your still around. Believe we've chatted a couple of times.. As for your chat channel suggestions, comments. I think "general chat" channel may lean towards this aswell(someone correct me if I'm wrong)? In regards of talking about anything game related, skills, levels, etc. If you ever wanna chat, you know as I stated in past, your welcome to pm me any time you can catch me ingame.

Not being a part of a guild has its advantages and disadvantages as you are well aware of. The whole guild drama bs I must agree with along with the public diplomatacy bs. But on the other hand you get to meet some cool individuals, sometimes do some things in a party type atmosphere. Wether you believe it or not, you are a part of EL. As for crossing over from the "newb" era.. I think everyone is a newb. Including myself. Only because as the game progresses, things change, or become implimented. Then everyone must relearn that particualar thing. So in sense, everyone is a newb.

Instances are fun, to best describe it.. Its like a invasion with caps, with your levels in mind based on "if" there were at least a few of you in a team/party vs a creature or many lolz. The idea is, can you survive? :P

As for not knowing everything about EL.. Don't worry about it. Theres a lot of st00f I have no clue about still. Probally even more st00f I've forgotten about over the years of playing on and off lolz. Just keep having fun you will learn st00f as you go :)

edited: in regards to general chat channel.

Edited by Uncertain

I think that the only active EL chat channel is channel 6, but it seems to me it is more for PK players. What channel do the people use who talk about all the other skills? I guess I dont want to be a PK player; a lot of disputes start while PKing.

PK is alot fun if there is no bitching/crying/flaming actually. And there are alot of examples of it. But sadly, some people dont get it at all...

-Kaddy

Channel @4 is EL-related chat.

Channel @20 is off topic chat.

Channel @1 officially IS newbie help channel. That means it must stay clear of chatter so that the questions can be seen and the answers heard. If "I killed a bunny!!111" "gratz" "gratz" "gratz" "gratz" etc is spamming it, the questions and answers get missed. It has been tried, it did not work.

Also by not joining a guild, you are missing out on the very socialization you are looking for.

Yeah, joining a guild is not so bad, some guilds are pretty cool about membership and won't force you to do things for them.

Something tells me YOU would probably find this same perk to a guild from any/every guild you could possibly join though Ent, no matter how much behind the scenes sweatshop work the rest of em have to do while you're there. Or is Jason making you mix his fire essences?

Edit:

at first I was not gonna bother commenting to makuyi here, since we usually have a chat about guilds etc already ingame, but then I realised there's probably other guildless players out there who'd be interested in this thread, so...

Don't let this idea of guild life being a requirement to participate in teamwork put you off. There are a lot more upsides than downsides to doing a guild session on mining/mixing/muling and even that dreaded word...pking. Sure, solo means you can stop when you like but as a team you can do quantities that are almost impossible for a solo player to do unharassed.

I'd highly recommend trying out a guild or two to any new players out there, at the very least, and although picking a bad one to begin with might put you off the idea of ever joining another one, finding a good one will make you never want to leave. Just try to do a little research before you pick which guild you apply to join and have "fun" as your ultimate goal in joining one, I think that is about the best advice I could (or will) ever give as far as guild joining is concerned.

Edited by Pyewacket

Yeah there's plenty of us around like yourself who don't want to be 'forced' or even expected to partake in guild activities.

I for one won't join any guild with such policies.

.... Or is Jason making you mix his fire essences?

:P

Great to see that you are still in-game and doing well :pickaxe:

There are alot of guilds out there that doesn't requier you to do things other then join the guild out there and if you want to know more about what rules they have or requierments they have on their members you can always do a #guild_info <guild tag> and see what it says and press F2 if they have a guild board and see what the rules in that specific guild is and if you want to know more about the guild you can always ask one of it's members or leaders and they will hopefully tell you more about the guild.

I hope you find what you are looking for and that we will get another report on your progress and thoughts soon again, good luck and have fun :pickaxe:

Makuyi, it's great seeing that you're not only still in the game, but, are advancing and having fun! We've chatted a few times in-game, and I enjoy your thoughts and comments.

I think your suggestion about a separate "newbie chat" channel is excellent. As has been mentioned, it wouldn't work as part of newbie help, but, as its own entity, it'd be great, I think. As you say, it'd be something that would be used early in the game and most players would eventually leave it...but, I think it'd enhance a new players experience. And, to my mind, anything that helps new players is a good thing for EL.

And, I'll echo what so many have already said about Guilds: there are many which do not "require" members to do a thing. While we may have Guild competitions and different projects, they're always voluntary, and most of us do understand that people have a life outside EL, so there's not a problem with "I can only be here for an hour or so".

Plus, Guilds give you a ready-made source of advice, suggestions, assistance and friends. It's comforting knowing that, if I decide it's time to move up to a new nasty critter, I can have a guildie come along for moral support (as well as grabbing my DB, should things not go well!). Or, more than just moral support: Haidir gave me tigers for my daily, and, there was NO way I'd have been able to handle 'em without a ranging Guildie along to "weaken" them a bit for me. :P

Enjoy this great game...have loads of fun...that's the most important thing!

Gil_Manel

Guilds are also good for item discounts! :happy:

Also, it's important to keep in mind that simply because a guild that doesn't do "projects" or pk together, doesn't mean its members aren't friendly or helpful. Most (all?) guilds are full of members willing to lend a helping hand, just in a more informal fashion.