Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Stragothemad

About installing the game

What Operating System did you use before? Is there an error message? Have you tried searching the forums for an answer? If relevant, graphics card/etc information?

It is better to keep instructions/help on here, that way in the future someone with similar issues can search up their problem and find an answer.

Do you know what kind of video card you have? "ATi"? "nVidia"? Do you know if you've installed the driver for it? (should be in your package management in Fedora)

Are you running 64bit? and do you have either the "zip" or "unzip" package installed? (please state which)

EDIT:

Also, can you tell us what you have already tried?

Which part of the directions on the download page are giving you troubles?

Edited by Korrode

I tried the script download for linux (deffinitly didnt work) than i tried Download the zip file, and unzip it.

cd to the directory where you installed it.

There are 2 .bin files, one for 32b and the other for 64b. chmod the desired binary to 775, and execute it.

Edit el.ini and change datadir to where you unzip everything

The default base directory is called el_linux, and you might want to rename it to something else.

To play under FreeBSD, download the Linux version, download the code from the CVS, and use the freebsd make file.

and thats where i have the problem im surely lost on how to do the chmod to 775 and im runnin 32bit

chmod 755 el.x86.linux.bin

prefix with sudo if required.

Also, earlier I made a GUI installer (using InstallJammer) that I was going to talk to Radu and the client devs about whether or not it was a desired thing.

The initial one i've made works fine for me and should work fine on any Linux distro, but atm it doesn't give u options on where to install it, it just installs to /opt/el_linux/. Still, once installation is complete you should have a working entry in your menu under the games section. (if you run FD compliant DE/menu, such as Gnome, KDE, XFCE, etc... which you do if you've done normal Fedora install).

So feel free to test it:

http://www.paradoxcomputers.com.au/el_linu...aller_test1.run

NOTE:

You may have to set it executable (you should be able to do this by right-clicking the file in your file manager and finding the permissions options, or by chmod'ing it same as I said above).

Also, you need to have TCL and TK packages installed for it to work, but my brief searching indicates Fedora will already have those installed.

Note also, you need the following libraries installed to run EL:

sdl_net

sdl_image

openal

cal3d

libxml2

libvorbis

You should be able to install them all through your package manager, some may be already installed, but probably not all of them will be.

Edited by Korrode

@Korrode:

A bit off topic here but why does it automatically go to /opt/ ?

Wouldn't it be easier if it went to ~/el_linux ?

That would solve a lot of the permissions issues a lot of users have who don't have root access.

@Korrode:

A bit off topic here but why does it automatically go to /opt/ ?

Wouldn't it be easier if it went to ~/el_linux ?

That would solve a lot of the permissions issues a lot of users have who don't have root access.

I did consider that and was going to discuss it all with you guys, this is just for testing, I wanted to see how it handled getting root privilege and what not.

Before playing with InstallJammer I was playing around with bash scripts to do the job and made one that didn't need root and installed to ~/opt/el_linux/

The only real issue I came up against with that was getting the .desktop file show up the EL icon. (in case you don't know; .desktop files are what make up the content of FreeDesktop.org compliant menus, such as the ones found in popular DE's).

.desktop files don't support usage of tilde within them to represent the current users home directory.

My tests showed that they always executed as though being run from the home directory, so i was able to use exec=opt/el_linux/el.x86.linux.bin in the .desktop file and it would execute EL, but it didn't seem to find the icon based on an icon=opt/el_linux/icon.bmp entry. Whereas when the files were in /opt and i could use a full path the icon showed up fine.

There's also a minor issue that some menus don't show entries for .desktop files stored in ~/.local/share/applications/, they only show the system-wide ones in /usr/share/applications, however from memory gnome, kde and xfce will all show the user-level ones, and only after-thought implementations like the one i'm using to generate my menu in Fluxbox suffer from this problem.

I should mention that this installer also places a file called eternallands.desktop in /usr/share/applications.

It also places a binary simply called "uninstall" in /opt/el_linux/ (this is an optional feature of InstallJammer), which is as the name suggests, an uninstaller, that removes every file the installation placed.

Anyways yeah; it's by no means something i'm presenting as a final outcome, i'll post about it in programming or suggestions after playing with InstallJammer a bit more so i have a better idea of exactly what it's capabilities are, so we can discuss. :(

Gotcha.

I don't deal with desktop files, I use ratpoison (with some openbox on the side for the occasional odd needs). I bow to your wisdom on that :(

Right now my EL install is ~/el_linux (/home/username/el_linux) and I've had no troubles with that although I have no need for a desktop icon either.

Also one needs to think of help later down the road when a helper is instructing an inexperienced user to find files and nobody thinks to guide the user to /opt. It seems the more conventional location is /usr/share/ but that makes a problem for a lot of people who are unable to get the right permissions.

All in all it sounds great!

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this