Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TigerClaw

196776 Health? Has TigerClaw become a bot?!

So invasion in DP. a screenie speaks 1000 words :icon13:

SoPBug.png

shortly after i died (brick for radu :P ) because you cant fight an AC with only 30 HPs.. So then i tryed to re-create the bug so i can narrow down how it happened. At first i thought it was a client bug but then everyone who was around me saw my HP.. After a good 15 mins of testing i can say now that the bug is a server health bug (obviously :) ) here's a few screenies:

We re-created it, turns out it doesnt matter if its a SoP or a MoL

SoPBug2.png

and also it turns out we can "stack" the effects.. i stacked it 3 times iirc. (possibly more..but low on BR atm)

Healthbug1.png

and then we gave it 2 mins.. turns out its not going to disappear on its own:

healthbug2.png

Some important points on the bug:

-taking off CoL/MoL doesnt change the HP..

-magic doesnt rid you of the gigantic HP increase either.

-only walkchanging will switch the HP back to usual

-the bug can only be recreated using a SoP/MoL & a BR/GHP

-if any devolphers/mods wish to see/know the EXACT steps to re-create the bug pm/forum pm me ;) i kinda didnt go into details on how to re-create the bug because i dont others to re-create it themself for personal enjoyments since Radu is away.. :P but there are certain conditions before the HP goes berserk.

-TigerClaw of GODz.. (phssst, radu? feel free to donate to me a rosto for me losing one because of the bug <3 :D)

I think this might be an instance of an old well-known bug, whereas the health shown in the health bar over you head is obtained by summing the delta to the current value (both positive, as in restore, and negative, as in damage), whereas the value in the bottom bar is obtained by looking directly at the character stats (and is the REAL one).

It seems under some circumstances, an invalid value is sent as delta, then interpreted with wrong signedness, so your 65568 is actually 65536+32 (i.e., 2^16+32), with 32 being your REAL health.

I have had my share of sudden deaths with toadstool poisoning due to mismatching values shown above your head and in the bottom bar... and the rule of thumb is, bottom bar wins.

For details (and possibly a fix)... only Radu can tell :-)

Hasn't this one been around for years? I vaguely remember something similar back then.

I think so, but possibly TC's accurate steps for reproducing the bug will help Radu in finding and fixing the cause - it has been pretty elusive so far. We will have to wait till teh God is back from vacations though! :whistle:

same thing happens if you reset and get a mol hit iirc

I think that may be a different issue, just the new maximum not being correctly capped at #reset time. Here we have a nastier case, where some update packet sent from server to client is either miscalculated, or sent at the wrong time during an engagement.

It happened to me as well in Dragon Cave. I was fighting orcs most of day using MoL. I was not drinking any potions however when this occurred but after a MoL restore I had 65680 HPs. I just waited around 5 minutes doing nothing as to not exploit bug and it restored my HPs to normal. At the time I never considered looking at bottom bar and comparing but looking at HPs MoL took me from under MAX HPs to over MAX HPs.

Superman.png