Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sithis

Game ethics

Quote from wuffzel - "they missed the hard work to level up, and have no respect for the players who made the long way.."

That is a great point. Someone works long and hard to reach a goal. Thier efforts should be respected instead of someone stealing it right out from under them.

You will never be able to remove ethics from the game because all people are different with different degrees of what is acceptable behavior or not. I just wish sometimes the good behavior and/or hard work would be more respected.

Edited by Funnabee

Buying and selling charaters..

Ditto. I have agreed with this from the start. Nobody respects the task to lvl a character on your own. This is why I take a lot of pride in my character because I have never let another soul use it and when it comes time to end my 2nd life in EL my character will remain, never sold or given away.

Someother noob, does the same as above, spends top dollar for top charater and then figures out, wow it this game gets boring when you just own every mob in game, and even the dragons ignore you, so little risk, too much farming for hydro/nexus stones and then realize by buying a top charater they by-passed the fun part of the game...playing it.

Yea and on top of that they feel the need to tell people they had respect for before that "Oh I can pwn you now, blah, blah, blah" not to mention any names ofc *COUGHscurlockCOUGH* and loosing friends they used to have because they think they earned respect for purchasing a character (But they don't) Silly people.

@@6 and unoffical forums , the oldshcool trolls and naysayers that are always speaking ill of the game/the devs/ This helps no one other then some 16 year old ego's

This one pisses me off the most. These people have played here for years. Some even longer than I have or just as long as LuciferX and DonPedro days. But instead of saying the things they liked best about the game they only talk shit about new things implemented (While some updates have been harsh it still shouldn't mean to turn others off from a game that gave you years of enjoyment. (Get your head out your asses you hypocritical bastards, really...)

I have enjoyed my years here in EL and I feel as if EL is a great game. I'm not particularly interested in becoming a fighter as I did before because there are things that are way to out of sync in PK, thus turning me off from it. But I like the challenge of getting all my skills higher, being a better all-around toon.

It is easy to bitch

Ditto. Most people only doing this just to hop on the bandwagon.

Eh. When I first got here, I had the utmost respect for the "community rules". As time went on, I started to care less and less. This seems to be the case with a large number of players. I usually give bags I find back, but I understand why some people don't, and thats fine with me.

it is easy to complain but some in this thread need to tell the truth about their actions if they feel the need to post about this subject

it is easy to complain but some in this thread need to tell the truth about their actions if they feel the need to post about this subject

Why would they? It's not a confess all thread.

But since you asked for it:

Even though I'm not really playing, the times that I am online, I help out people when they ask for it and I feel like it or am able to. Do I always treat everyone with respect? No. I treat people with respect, untill they've proven that they don't earn my respect. And now comes the zomfg.... In my spare time I sometimes misclick on a skeleton key. Kgo, outlaw me, I'll just thank the kind donators for their contributions.

Again, I honestly doubt that ´confessions´ like this are the purpose of this thread, and the people that posted in it that I ´know´ ingame, nobody pretended to be holier than they are.

Nuu Dalli, that's when they win! I know what you mean, but I agree with Dilly, just because you like evil, doesn't mean you are evil.

Personally, I think EL has adequate "evil". You find most players find a good reputation more valuable than your DB.

Ebul CherUT/Xanthus going to BJ me? :'( Come on, some one has to set up to the plate if that's what you want to see ingame ^^

Edited by Zenial

Personally, I think EL has adequate "evil". You find most players find a good reputation more valuable than your DB.

Ebul CherUT/Xanthus going to BJ me? :'( Come on, some one has to set up to the plate if that's what you want to see ingame ^^

narrow mind? Maybe?

Oh?

Well if you think there should be changes, why not be the one to take the first step? Actions speak louder than words.

Edited by Zenial

Really this shouldnt be a problem. Some people do all they can for the community and honestly they are very thankless I have seen it many times over and over. Maybe if there was more "evil" some would see the good others do. Anyway we will see. Like someone once said keep your friends close and your enemies closer :)

i wanted to be an evil player for ages, i even tried convincing a few others in EL to be evil to and join my evil guild of nasty buggers, but usually id walk into someone I liked and think '' meh i couldnt steal thier st00f if i wanted to '' but I did have some great noobie scaming ideas given to me by nathanstenzel ( I think that was his name )

A person with good morals can theoretically create an evil character in the game, and vice versa. Determining a players real nature can be done much more easily by reading what they type then by judging them on weather or not they have taken some deathbags, though someone with some intelligence and morals will probably realize the hurt they are doing to another person by ripping them off in some way (what they are really doing is wasting hours of the "victims" time/$ to save their own).

Aside from the official game rules, EL is a lawless world. People come to play the game, all trying to advance to their own goals through whatever methods they enjoy. Many of these people have a common moral code in reality and it reflects in the way they treat/want to be treated by other players. The "community rules" are very sensible and obvious. You don't have to follow them, many don't. I don't think these rules hurt the fun of the game. You say people who break them are disliked and alienated by those who don't...

Now I'm a bit confused here.. are you saying that it is sensible to not care a burglar has broken in, smashed the stereo, lit your pants on fire and stole your new tv? Maybe even favor him, do business with him and invite him on a holiday? Introduce him to your friends and not warn them?

I mean... how successful and appealing is a community where you can't trust anyone? Yes this is a game, but one much work goes into, and your items have a real value (much time and/or $).

I think in the end, weather or not Radu adds a huge monolith on IP with the EL community commandments etched into it, many will find these rules obvious and follow them, there will be a subculture that purposely breaks them, but the majority will fall somewhere in the middle as they do now. Just like real people, most characters in this game will do something they consider wrong at some point and hope no one finds out. As far as those who feel outcast due to their repeated "evil" deeds in game, go join PKG or FURY or some other gang of evildoers.. there are a few guilds out there who are lenient when it comes to community rules.

Edited by Goot

Now I'm a bit confused here.. are you saying that it is sensible to not care a burglar has broken in, smashed the stereo, lit your pants on fire and stole your new tv? Maybe even favor him, do business with him and invite him on a holiday? Introduce him to your friends and not warn them?

Insteresting comparison, burglar?

Why if someone dies and has no rosto is considered stealing (community rules) ? i mean since the game gives u the opportunity not to lose anything :)

No, i'm talking about various forms of scamming, bagjumping mixing/muling bags, BroDing people for no good reason other than your own enjoyment; benefiting from someone elses loss when you are consciously and purposefully responsible for that loss, and they are not an enemy.

Finding a deathbag is a different story, imo it falls in the "middle"-like finding money on the ground at a large gathering. If you announce it maybe you find the real owner, maybe someone tricks you. Maybe you hear someone crying they lost their $50 and give it back, maybe not. But not going in their wallet and purposely taking it :pickaxe:

Edit: just thought i'de add, i return deathbags whenever possible.. and not out of fear of being outcast for bagjumping; sometimes people find fun in making other people happy, not ruining their day :)

Edited by Goot

Edit: just thought i'de add, i return deathbags whenever possible.. and not out of fear of being outcast for bagjumping; sometimes people find fun in making other people happy, not ruining their day B)

Fun part about this thread is that most people might consider me as bjumper (ofc i dont mind) never the less i have to say that all of the above mentioned that say that they dont bjump , might actually do, and noone will find out :)

What i am trying to say is that all of the those rules that are prtecting the fun of another player might destroy the fun of someone else :pickaxe:

Dont forget its a game B)

I don't consider taking death bags *DURING a/d activities* as bag jumping. Like Xanthus said about the rosto.. My guild rule on deathbags is simple... If you die training/fighting/invasion without a rosto then it is your own fault and the bag is up for grabs.

My guildies are not allowed to take harvester bags or mixing bags but they are allowed to hyperbag hunt.

I have lost many things to dying without a rosto and it's not really upsetting to me because I knew it was my fault for not protecting my gear (Kinda funny that 2 times I lost stuff because I forgot to grab rosto out of storage) :D

The first time you lose something valuable because you didn't have a rosto is sort of a coming-of-age rite, as far as I'm concerned. I remember mine: I lost an s2e of magic and a titaniums shield to Peach in dpa :D

Well its like all things...good views until its on your foot.

I'm only gonna make a story sense of back in my times cause I dunno nothing about your dragon armors and stuff.

But! I'd imagine it would be the same.

When training back then one would really really hate to lose their nmt cape. Sure might been your fault you forgot a rosto.

Don't ease the mind anymore knowing the great loss. Now your dragon armors and stuff I'd imagine one would really hate to lose that.

Now you paint the picture as if some noob found the jackpot wallet at the expense of another's mistake. I'm willing to bet if they put "your" stuff on in front of you. You would say stuff and promise future demise of the player :D

Nobody wants to lose anything of value period. Its your items,you're gonna tell me its not yours anymore when it becomes a deathbag and someone else takes it. Tell me that when it happens xD

But merely stating it's yours and them finding it qualifies as them "stealing"

But you can think whatever until it happens to you like I said from the start.

If I lost my nmt or col I would hope someone from the majority kind in the community would give it back.

Now pvp is a whole other story and I'd totally understand that.

I believe I fall into the under-represented group in this thread:

i guess there are lots of players who like to build up a guild for to work together to reach a goal...

but not realy many of them post here

I have always stood for choosing the nicest path. I give back anything I find, I have never PK'ed, nor do I plan to. If I needed to harvest in a PK zone, I would hire a friend or guildie to assist me. I am not one for fighting much either, but...I am not a person to spend hours manufacturing either. There are people of all sorts in this game, I do enjoy the diversity. I really do enjoy working with other people, It is my greatest drive in the game. Without a good friend to chat with while I mix, slaughter, explore, or whatever, I do not have a good time.

I do have a question however, what is the purpose of this thread? I see lots of ranting but not much being done about it. If you dislike something then please work toward a solution.

Example: Create a head-hunting NPC. Where you can pay money to place on someone's head, Then head-hunters can work to kill the "ebul-doer". It would be nice if you could behead someone and keep the head as a trophy as proof, but even without this, it would be an interesting element. Bounty hunters would arise as a counter-class to much of the problems. (Plus it would be a cash sink, as placing a bounty would require money the NPC would keep)

Just an idea.

I do have a question however, what is the purpose of this thread? I see lots of ranting but not much being done about it. If you dislike something then please work toward a solution.

Example: Create a head-hunting NPC. Where you can pay money to place on someone's head, Then head-hunters can work to kill the "ebul-doer". It would be nice if you could behead someone and keep the head as a trophy as proof, but even without this, it would be an interesting element. Bounty hunters would arise as a counter-class to much of the problems. (Plus it would be a cash sink, as placing a bounty would require money the NPC would keep)

Just an idea.

Most of the 'outlaws' rarely go into pk areas. I'd be interested in how you expect the bountyhunter to get satisfaction. The following topic might give you some insight into the topic too.

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=45376

i wanted to be an evil player for ages, i even tried convincing a few others in EL to be evil to and join my evil guild of nasty buggers, but usually id walk into someone I liked and think '' meh i couldnt steal thier st00f if i wanted to '' but I did have some great noobie scaming ideas given to me by nathanstenzel ( I think that was his name )

Please feel free to put a newb to work, but don't scam newbs. That would be bad for the game.

Sometimes, people misunderstand how I put newbs to work as being scamming, but it often gets them rich faster than they could get without me. It often takes carry capacity or shop purchases or buying gc outright to get money in the game.

I just wanted to point out that I do not condone scamming of anyone, newb or otherwise. Even the evil players should avoid the newbs, if they want players to play the game.