Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Zenial

Guild Merges

Hi all!

Just interested in the general opinion on guild merges.

Perhaps you want to, but which guild to ask?

You'd like to have a lot more guildies but don't want to change your tag?

Too hard to get everyone to agree?

I'd like to encourage it (somehow)! Big guilds are pro guilds imo, at the moment, they're more like player parties. So many guilds that have grown outdated. Time to refresh our el divisions! And think, what do most players look for when choosing a guild? That it's very active and pro!

Just to put it bluntly, EL population has depleted, so there's no use pretending your guild pop. hasn't.

Go forth and multiply divide fare guilds!!!!

IRON has merged with several other guilds in the past - and it has all gone well.

Takes a guild to be a close match but it can work.

I agree with Zen's sentiment.

Fewer big guilds is better than many small ones... but the bigger the guild the better the management has to be... and ofc too many people want to be chiefs, often those who really would do better to just indian it up.

(is it ok to use the chief/indian analogy these days? or is it racist?? am i being politically correct??? meh who gives a shit ;) )

Fewer big guilds is better than many small ones... but the bigger the guild the better the management has to be... and ofc too many people want to be chiefs, often those who really would do better to just indian it up.

(is it ok to use the chief/indian analogy these days? or is it racist?? am i being politically correct??? meh who gives a shit ;) )

no no korr, bad bad man, can't mention traditional cultural heirarchies without offending someone! :-P I agree. But really, newbies can harp all they want for rank 20, don't mean they're going to get it. Or that if they do get it, that anyone will let them lead. There's a sidenote: Newbie GMs cut their losses, pro addicts only for rank 20 :medieval:

LGC is a friendly active guild for nice people any smaller guilds that are similar and would like to merge with us pm me for a chat about it ;)

As for my opinion it makes total sense alot of close to dead guilds out there.

I have witnessed quite a few guild mergers and they have never worked out. Too many conflicting personalities and policies.

Guild mergers = bad

It would probably work better if one of the guilds was at a point where they might just disband if they didn't do something.

The HELP guild had an issue and now it is disbanded. If they would have tried to merge with another guild with similar rules instead of disbanding, there is a possibility that it could have worked, since Starlite was hoping to step asside anyways. The GM of the other guild could have taken control and the high ranking HELP members could have had similar ranks and responsibilities in the new guild if they chose and the other guild agreed with it.

The people transferring would have to be happy with their roles in the new guild.

I imagine this might be considered to be more like one guild swallowing the other than a merger, but I think you probably get my point. A lopsided merger might be easier to pull off than a balanced one.

I hope the former HELP members don't mind my using HELP as an example. It will take me a while to get used to that guild not being around.

guild merging does work, iron's merged with quite a few. one was gotl when we had a small but good guild. It does work out for the most part as long as the guilds are similar. It wont work if they have opposite rules/standards.

We had merged with ~6 members who were still active at the time, atm there's 2 of us left in iron, 1 on the friendslist and another that left for personal reasons and the rest went inactive . It works for the most part, but it does take a bit of similarities inorder to happen.

Are you asking for opinions are asking us to merge more?

In my opinion, large guilds are fine, but there comes to a point where a large guild is too large. And I don't mean by #guild_info numbers as many of them can be inactive.

Mergers may help guild activities in it's late hours or inactive times. It also may provide more opportunities. As more guildies mean more potential for a skilled craftsmen.

Also another issue, as everyone has said, the guilds must be similar. This is true, it is hard to merge PEN with *CO*, as one is intent on helping new players, and the other was a ruthless PKing guild. (Or so I have been told.)

As with the two other IRON members that have already weighed in with their opinions, I am in favor of mergers, so long as one does not happen more often than every few months. As I said before, it may help guild activity in the late hours. IRON has obtained members from across Asia, Europe and America. We generally have anywhere from 2-13 members on at any given moment. Now, that may not all be entirely attributed to mergers, but I am sure it does help.

In summary.

Merge = More members.

More Members = More potential.

But! More members may lead to a critical mass where the guild is too hard to manage. This is when guilds disband.

Are you asking for opinions are asking us to merge more?

In my opinion, large guilds are fine, but there comes to a point where a large guild is too large. And I don't mean by #guild_info numbers as many of them can be inactive.

Mergers may help guild activities in it's late hours or inactive times. It also may provide more opportunities. As more guildies mean more potential for a skilled craftsmen.

Also another issue, as everyone has said, the guilds must be similar. This is true, it is hard to merge PEN with *CO*, as one is intent on helping new players, and the other was a ruthless PKing guild. (Or so I have been told.)

As with the two other IRON members that have already weighed in with their opinions, I am in favor of mergers, so long as one does not happen more often than every few months. As I said before, it may help guild activity in the late hours. IRON has obtained members from across Asia, Europe and America. We generally have anywhere from 2-13 members on at any given moment. Now, that may not all be entirely attributed to mergers, but I am sure it does help.

In summary.

Merge = More members.

More Members = More potential.

But! More members may lead to a critical mass where the guild is too hard to manage. This is when guilds disband.

I'm asking both. What kind of person would I be to encourage something of players without knowing how they feel about it? :)

PEN and *CO* could merge. What would be wrong with that? Help the newbies, let the newbies be inspired to train by PKers :pickaxe:

"To follow the path,

look to the master,

follow the master,

walk with the master,

see through the master,

become the master."

Why isolate players into categories? The combination can be beneficial.

But I agree on critical mass but what would that be? 30? 50 active members? Something like that?

Edited by Zenial

Well the thing with merging a pk guild with PEN is that PEN has made it quite clear of the sea of blue tags they hold. A ton of alliances from what I gather is the death of PK. Which is somewhat true, but then again, it is part of the reason for WWI.

As for guilds inspiring new players to grow into doing something they love, they should be doing just that.

The categories don't just exist because we force them to be, it is because it is hard to have both in one. But there are many allrounder guilds, many guilds that just have players hanging out, doing a little bit of everything.

As for Critical mass, depends what kind of system is in placed to manage the guild in the first place. I heard of a guild that gave everyone rank 19 upon joining, now I'm fairly certain that if many guilds were ran this way, well.. the results may be less than optimal.

On my opinion it would really be time for the huge merge. There are about 20 guilds with 5 members each whos major rules are no samming, no bagjumping, no whatever. And all those guilds are veeeery proud of their guild tag, their history, their reputation or whatever.

I don't really see the point why they should all exist. It is about time that they merge into one guild or a few guilds. That would give them more importance for the el community. And i am sure that the players would get easily along with each other.

I guess the same applies for the pk and bad boys guilds. But i don't know much about them.

It may be a different case for language specific or region specific guilds.

While it is true that some of those small guilds can be more productive and benefit a lot if they merged, that won't happen simply because a lot of small guilds exist because some people "want their own guilds" eventhough they may be better off in existing guilds.

While it is true that some of those small guilds can be more productive and benefit a lot if they merged, that won't happen simply because a lot of small guilds exist because some people "want their own guilds" eventhough they may be better off in existing guilds.
I am the only member of my guild, which I created as my hiding place for when I don't feel like being in a guild. It protects me from guild wars and overly-aggressive recruiters!

I think you'll find a few such people who may not wish to merge, but will happily visit other guilds with a view to settling down when they find the right one.

Guilds are great fun to be in when you choose the right one, but a pain when you don't.

Our Guild actually was looking for a merger a while ago. That merge never happened. Reasons were as follows (just to show you a few reasons why merges don't happen that often):

1. Guild: A merge would have been ok, but they wanted to keep their name. Our guildies didn't want to take the name of an existing guild as it would have felt like joining them instead of merging with them. (That guild had a lot more active players than we had.)

2. Guild: Same as No 1 but this guild had similar numbers of active players as ours.

3. Guild: They wanted to stay as they were for the time being.

4. Guild: We never got an answer so i guess same as 3.

Conclusion: Merging ain't easy.

To finish we decided to stay as we were.

Note 1: I don't blame anybody that this merge never happened neither the other guilds nor my guildies.

Note 2: All of the mentioned guilds had similar rules or were organised in a similar way as ours. And they seemed to consist of nice players that would probably have got easily along with us.

i've had this dicussion with hormania and it's true, there just are many guilds out there with this 'o look we r oldschool' thought, whilst they only have 3-4 active members left..

i say; set aside your pride about long lost times and move on to the future!

talking about 'back then' is for OLD PEOPLE

Heh. PEN merging with a pk guild would be very funny. The members would then have to say "Hit Me!" to initiate the combat. We would be more likely to merge with or grow into an instance guild than to merge with a pk guild.

Heh. PEN merging with a pk guild would be very funny. The members would then have to say "Hit Me!" to initiate the combat. We would be more likely to merge with or grow into an instance guild than to merge with a pk guild.

Why would you want to merge with another guild considering what you said last week....

I honestly am not sure how much longer I will even be playing this game considering that I would either have to take a loss of gc or a loss of $ to make anything iron greaves and above. The only purpose I have left in the game is helping newbs or my guild and I don't really feel like chatting with anyone or helping newbs very often anymore.

Also do you honestly think that merging fighters with PEN would not cause a lot of issues with the fairly new players that are already in PEN?

I too agree with the "to many small guilds" observation. There are many guilds that are below critical-mass for a fun, active guild. But they are too attached to their rich heritage to just drop it and join another guild.

[Note: I think that merging (with a new guild name (even if it's just re-naming one of the merging guilds)) is very different than simply abandoning a guild en-masse to joining another guild.]

I wonder if there's any individual or guild with the foresight and leadership to bring a bunch of common small guilds together for a true merger into a single large guild. I know the guild I'm part of would be interested in such a process to creating something better. Having lived through a 5-way merge in the past, I also know how difficult it can be to do successfully. But I think the result would be worth the effort.

Yes Nathan, HELP is maybe a good example. I liked the guild despite what happend to it. So far we split up in 4 new guilds. PAX ELAN Eos and BofH. We have all the same origin. I have had that idea before - fusioning guilds. Its more fun having more players together. But when you have more members, then also the management becomes more complex. Some ppl came over to help but decided after 2 weeks to take their leave again and make their own guild. The reason was that they missed their "home ".

So in the past it has been indeed difficult to merge guilds. Now how can I say I am for a fusion when I make a new guild too. Well, its my first guild after 4 years of playing, and i simply enjoy GM status for the moment.

Merging guilds needs some sacrifices. I could imagine giving up the guild name, or the leadership position. But what i can not give up so easy is the idea of the guild. A bit difficult to explain. See, a guild is made up by its members, but also by rules how they should behave and how the group of people is organized.

And i know i couldnt accept guild rules from a pk guild. :)

So in the end , I have no recipe for merging guilds. I guess they need to be 'of the same kind' and really fit together.

Why would you want to merge with another guild considering what you said last week....

I honestly am not sure how much longer I will even be playing this game considering that I would either have to take a loss of gc or a loss of $ to make anything iron greaves and above. The only purpose I have left in the game is helping newbs or my guild and I don't really feel like chatting with anyone or helping newbs very often anymore.

Also do you honestly think that merging fighters with PEN would not cause a lot of issues with the fairly new players that are already in PEN?

I was replying to someone's post using PEN as an example. I have no intention of merging PEN with any guild at this time. I don't think I would even want to merge it with any other guild.

Nathan, how many "instance guilds" do you know of?

I don't think I know of any, actually, but there is one guild that has some good info on instances and I would not doubt it if it turned into an "instance guild". That guild is EoS. SolarStar is very good at organizing instance teams. I actually participated in one of them and it was fun.

Edited by nathanstenzel