Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Update 190 preliminary test

Warning: This is only for the people who can follow instructions very precisely. If you do not want to do that, or can't understand or follow the instructions, please wait for the next test, which will be more 'user friendly'! People who will not follow the instructions but report bugs will at the very least be banned from the forums indefinitely!

So, if you still want to try it, here is exactly what you must do:

1. Download the file: http://www.eternal-lands.com/el_190_alpha1.rar

2. Make a copy of your whole EL folder, in case something goes wrong.

3. Delete the /maps AND /3dobjects AND /tiles folders.

4. Unrar the file you just downloaded in such a way to overwrite the EL files and recreate those directories in the root of the /el folder.

5. For the windows people, start el.exe and enjoy.

6. Linux people should compile their own client from the CVS. I am not sure of the exact build options yet, so if you don't know them wait until tomorrow when I will edit this post. The OSX people should do the same or wait until someone compiles a client for them.

7. We are having bigger textures now, so some older computers will have a decreased frame rate. To fix that, go to Options, Advanced Video, and change the Max viewing distance to something like 40-80. The lower the faster.

**Also make sure you change your data directory to be the new EL directory that you made for this test update. Otherwise you'll get white objects, etc..

Testing and reporting map bugs

We need people to test all kind of bugs, but before you do, please read this and FOLLOW THE TESTING RULES OUTLINED HERE, or else!

1. The maps on the main server are not 100% compatible with the new maps, so you will experience 'sinking in the ground' issues, or some doors not working on the main server. DO NOT report those issues.

However, the maps SHOULD be up to date on the test server, so if you have those issues there (WITH THE NEW CLIENT ONLY) please post here.

2. If you find a map bug, please take a screenshot if possible AND include the x/y location AND MAP NAME.

3. If you find weird looking places on the main or test server, please see #2. Do not, however, report map bugs regarding the TG Magic School. That's a mess and probably the map will have to be remade.

4. Every update, some idiot will not delete his or her maps folder because they are afraid they will lose their precious tab maps, and then they will go and report bugs. If you do that and you are not a really good customer, you will get banned from the game for at least 1 month.

Other tests:

As you might notice, the new client has a lot of new features. Many of them are not fully tested, so please test them. There are new options for the NPC window, manufacture window, etc.

We even have some emotes now, but only those in the "Actions" category work. The others DO NOT WORK and you should not report them as not working. Furthermore, the server will check for emotes spamming and will not send emotes if you are using them too quickly. The limit is about 1 emote every 1700 ms.

This should be it for now, have fun!

Build options:

### Testing options (these options are possible for the next release and should be tested) ###

#FEATURES += ANTI_ALIAS

#FEATURES += DYNAMIC_ANIMATIONS

FEATURES += EMOTES

#FEATURES += EXT_ACTOR_DICT

#FEATURES += NEW_ALPHA

#FEATURES += NIGHT_TEXTURES

FEATURES += USER_MENUS

FEATURES += BANDWIDTH_SAVINGS

#FEATURES += OLD_MISC_OBJ_DIR

FEATURES += MORE_ATTACHED_ACTORS

FEATURES += ITEM_UID

FEATURES += NEW_QUESTLOG

FEATURES += ITEM_LIST

A bug: The Glacmor academy door is not visible after the update. However, if you turn the camera to see the inside of the building, you can see and use the door. Use this as a fix until we fix the maps.

Alt+D doesn't hide/show emotes window (ty Eadric). Corrected and committed to cvs.

Also *wave left and *wave right are not working. It is because of the space between words. I'll look into it.

Edited by Fedora

spells.xml for new spells window not included in alpha1 data.

seems fairly obvious but wasn't mentioned, plz nono ban :pickaxe:

edit:

i renamed my old .elc dir and let client make a new one, so it would all be completely fresh.

client updated when i first ran it and downloaded new knowledge.lst and rules.xml

(not a bug as such, just mentioning)

edit2:

also just mentioning, if i try and jump while sitting, the client says this in terminal quite a lot of times:

Handle emote 124 created at 1624153
actor 0 is held: 0
we have anim...but not ready yet

then gives up ("Emote 124 timed out")

again idk if it's pertinent, just thought i'd mention

Edited by Korrode

Hello, I have problems with my textures:

158175e.jpg

I have tried this more than 10 times, still same result. I did a clean install of EL, deleted 3d objects/maps/tiles folder, then extracted alpha folder into EL folder, and textures are still messed up, even deleted EL folder in My documents, didn't change a thing.

I have Windows 7 Professional, I even tried running under XP/vista compatibility mode, but that didn't help at all.

Edit - tried test server also, its the same.

Edited by samuraj

Hello, I have problems with my textures:

158175e.jpg

I have tried this more than 10 times, still same result. I did a clean install of EL, deleted 3d objects/maps/tiles folder, then extracted alpha folder into EL folder, and textures are still messed up, even deleted EL folder in My documents, didn't change a thing.

I have Windows 7 Professional, I even tried running under XP/vista compatibility mode, but that didn't help at all.

Edit - tried test server also, its the same.

Options Misc data directory that may help you

Just an early reminder that we had an agreement that everything that could be gzipped, would be shipped gzipped this time around. Thanks.

Yes, indeed.

The maps are gzipped as you can see, and the textures are already compressed (dds format) so no need for gzipping. Only thing that's left would be the 3d objects, but they are too small to benefit from compression (it would take longer to uncompress than just to load them). There are some leftover bmp files and stuff, but not much.

I don't know, if that one qualifies as a bug, because something seems to be wrong with this map on the main server with 1.8, too. But anyway:

White Stone [23,252] Temple of Aluwen

x3he80.jpg

Apart from the gap in the tiles there (there's a couple more on this map if you look closely), I can't move forward from the point where I stand. It looks as if the tiles were stacked somehow, creating little steps that I can't walk over. I can walk the eastern path of the circuit just fine.

However, I can now take the middle path from the door to the NPC, which seems to be blocked on main with 1.8.

Yes, it was, Roja, yw :) I'm just admiring the new textures in comparison to the old ones... :happy:

...and trying to find the not-so-good-looking ones... :P

...like that: This time it's just a minor thingy, but looked better with the 1.8 client than it does now ;)

<no map name> [241,52] "An abandoned house..."

(house can be entered at Tirnwood Undergrounds [38,147])

2gt7sig.jpg

The same goes for the other house that you can enter about there.

I'll do some more digging tomorrow, but even testers need sleep :medieval::D

I just wanted to go to bed in the Grahm's Village tavern, but couldn't find the door. Or rather couldn't enter :medieval:

White Stone - Grahm's Village [154,145]

2li9df9.jpg

So: Door's not working or tavern closed. That's probably the thing Ent was talking about in the first post.

Trying to sneak in the back door (i.e. turning the camera to click the other side of the door :D ) didn't work either.

If the door is not showing, it's a bug. If the door is showing but you can't enter, it's not a bug if it works on the test server.

I'll go with the first "If" (if you're talking about the mouse cursor, that is :medieval: ). The door cursor does not show on the test server when you hover the mouse cursor over the door. All I get is the movement cursor (or walk cursor). Clicking on the door shows the four converging green arrows right in front of the door, but other than that does nothing.

Hope that helped.

My text window on forum still doesnt work but i try to give some pix of what i found.

Here a view on the West Side of the City Wall of PL.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_0hJse6mmZTU/S4RurPmX...eenshot.239.jpg

And here a look on the East Side , behind library of the wall.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_0hJse6mmZTU/S4RumQVZ...eenshot.240.jpg

ok, again in PL

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_0hJse6mmZTU/S4RuhKLJ...eenshot.241.jpg

here in SKF near the exit to DP, the rock is invisible from one side.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_0hJse6mmZTU/S4RughTo...eenshot.245.jpg

Here you see an impossible spiderweb in DP someone inside a library

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_0hJse6mmZTU/S4RuhG83...eenshot.243.jpg

my formating fails a little cos i can not correct any errors in the text.

there is nothing wrong with the 1. pic. its just for comparison

i was in NC in front of the magic shop 109,82. the sign is behind the door.

edit, plus http://lh4.ggpht.com/_0hJse6mmZTU/S4Rz4hGV...eenshot.246.jpg

the pk cave in NC

Edited by SolarStar

Here are a few things I found. I will comment/edit this post Wed when I have more time.

http://img148.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=el2010022323185343.jpg

Also, hanging pears in mid-air You are in Idaloran [602,208] (will post screenie tomorrow)

EVTR Sto~ it's the shadows that I noticed...the shadows of the fence are pointed but the fence itself is not. And it continued all the way around to the west of the path.

Please ask if there are any questions.

Edited by bugabear

So I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem or not since I updated yesterday my A/D indicator has stayed at 0. I've checked it several hours apart and on the test server.

The other indicators appear to be working as far as I can tell. (they seem to move and are different on main vs. test server.)

Didn't know if this would be affected by the update but as they were working before that i assume it has something to do with it.

Otherwise things have been normal and enjoying what I've seen so far. Computer info listed below.