Eternal Lands Official Forums
Ateh

Traffic in NC Near Storage

Firstly, I agree it is extremely annoying ....... BUT

why should we alter the landscape to make things easy. You know the game could be altered so that we don't have to do anything, but what would be the point?

Waiting for the flames ......

why should we alter the landscape to make things easy. You know the game could be altered so that we don't have to do anything, but what would be the point?

To sit and wait for a char to mapwalk from NC storage to WS is to do something ???

Harvesting and mixing are boring too, yes but you might find something special or at least you get some exp.

Mapwalking is when you leave the game, make coffee, take a shower, play another game or whatever.

And sometimes I stay at the other game, because no boring mapwalking,

The phenomenon is a map walking bug and should be reported as such.

I agree, but even treated as such, which of these possible solutions do you think is most likely to be applied to resolve said bug?:

A. Re-work the mapwalking system.

B. Write in custom workaround for mapwalking system for that area of NC.

C. Remove/reduce the size of said rock.

Hey, apparently even the obvious isn't obvious to some and I'm not to blame for the apparently lower standards of others now ;)

I remember Learner posting something about there being some variance in the map walking so you won't take the same way all the time, I guess you'd only need to increase the tolerance by a couple of tiles, so once you started to take the longer way around you don't change your route if the alternative route is only shorter by a couple of tiles.

Just lol.

I am pretty sure that even if this rock was removed, the malcontents would still be malcontent and would find yet something else foolish to complain about, citing it as one of the little things forcing them to play elsewhere (while sticking around looking for more things and people to pick apart and insult).

And now, this oblivious person with very low standards is done with this thread.

I like Korrode's plan. Making a marketplace in that area and a gate would mean more people would go there, even if it's mapwalking. I don't believe that area is used much right now, maybe a random deer is killed there once in a while. Anyway, if the marketplace was implemented and bots were moved there, the local chat spamming should be allowed for them, after all, they advertise their goods. In the place of that rock, or somewhere near it, there could be a sign pointing to the marketplace, and not only for the RP point of view, but also for those people who didn't see the bots move and are wondering "wtf where's the bot?"

Just a suggestion :)

And I agree with dilly, it shouldn't be called a bug but an imperfection/inconvevience.

I agree, but even treated as such, which of these possible solutions do you think is most likely to be applied to resolve said bug?:

A. Re-work the mapwalking system.

B. Write in custom workaround for mapwalking system for that area of NC.

C. Remove/reduce the size of said rock.

You forgot:-

D. Bottom of the TO-DO pile and going to be left alone coz there's something more important to work on.

Place your bets

Bot marketplace is a good idea. The rock is too trivial to warrant fixing. There are dozens of such problems in game.

The rock is trivial? No it's not, it's very very significant! And it's very tempting to sit on that one tile and watch everyone flame up...

EDIT: +1 it looks bad to new players too (who are in NC a lot)

Edited by Zenial

+1 Zenial

This is all about the rock. I don't know where all this bot bashing came from...it's not even topic tbh.

I bet if Zenial did what she suggest, she'd get moved very quickly by someone with a happy trigger.

With that said, how hard can it be to remove some of the rock and create more space ? I mean...isn't that what this thread is all about?

And yes, there are "more important things" but I'm looking at this obvious problem as a potential map fix. Isn't EL always doing small map fixes to make them better? Why can't this be fixed too?

*confused face*

Unlike many obstacles that have been changed in the past (1 tile wide bridges etc), the problem at the rock is only really an issue for map walkers who aren't paying attention. This is because on just the North side of that rock is another path that is two tiles wide!

Little minor obstacles like this shouldn't be removed, instead alter your play a little. Click a slightly different spot so you go around the North side of the rock or watch where you are walking and you avoid this totally!

Oh well. The original request was for more walk space and less rock space. But then...a bot market there could (in theory) remove the rock if placed there. So how about that curved ball?

I understand about the whole "north of the rock there's a two tiles wide space" totally. This was merely a request to make the game run a tiny bit smoother for us players (or us map walkers who aren't paying attention) by removing a bloody annoyance as Ateh put it.

I didnt explain why its a boody annoyance.

Its annoying because its easily fixable, because its something weve all done ( those who play the game ) and everytime it happens we think wtf you f*** piece of ** rock , its annoying because when you allready repeat a task say 15 thousand times? you begin to notice the small things that for some are quirks and strategy changers, and for others are just annoying.

Its like that person we all know, they are quirky, different and full of wierd ideas that make little sense, they are funny in thier own way and yet for some reason no matter how hard you try you just want to kill them because they have stopped being amusing and started to become bloody annoying.

I wasnt asking to bring TS a/d reduction back or even change the stats of dragon armor. I wasnt even asking fr a bot market place ( which is a great idea btw )

I was pointing out that NC has a bloody annoying rock in the way of lazy ass mapwalkers who probably do more clicking than a proffesional clicker in a world clicking contest on national clicking day, and they dont want to do that extra 3 clicks to get around what is obviously NOT a strategically placed rock. Was it strategically placed to piss the first 10 people of that walked thru NC when NC map opened ? The traffic thru NC is high ( especially since high concentration of bots there near bloody rock ) Rat rant rant rant rant rant, everyone can see the idea makes sense to change the rock a bit, i doubt anyone would quit the game if it was removed. But I suppose its too much to ask lol

Just move the rock 1 square north, that the 2 square broad way is south of it and the 1 square broad way is north and everything is fine.

I really think, that that wouldn't affect the game mechanics or the game fun that serious :rolleyes:

Piper

Block it off entirely, make it so we all have to walk along the north/south side and all the way around when we want to go to the left side, past the PK cave where we can all be lured in by the temptation of being pwnt for our pickaxes!

EDIT: Disclaimer: Any game changes made as a result of this particular post are not usable in any court by bot owners in NC hoping to sue the poster for loss of earnings, Caveat Emptor applies when purchasing your bots placement from Radu.

Edited by Pyewacket

Little minor obstacles like this shouldn't be removed, instead alter your play a little. Click a slightly different spot so you go around the North side of the rock or watch where you are walking and you avoid this totally!

Don't be that guy... The map-walker-hater.

Moving/changing it will make some people happy and hurt no one.

Can that reasoning really be argued against?

Of course not, but if time was going to be invested (however little ) to make game changes, I don't think thats high on many peoples priority list. I'd much rather have the dev's time go towards the bot marketplace, or implementing fishing.

Edited by Shujral

While I do use map-walking, I think it hurts the game in the long run. But, this isn't about removing the map-walking. What I think people need to do is look for ways they can use & enjoy the game as it is, instead of complaining about a minor issue and trying to change the game just to make it simpler.

it wont really make the game any simpler, and I doubt it will hurt the game in the long run lol its not like anyones going to harvest an extra 500 diamonds an hour because the rock isnt there.

its just a little thing, the little things make alot of difference to a game's overall feel

its a fixer, something easy but sort of OMG wow finally they fixed it factor

keeping it is like having a big white creamy spot on your forehead and when someone tells you you should sort it out you say nah its fine as it is dont complain about my big white creamy spot , learn to enjoy it instead

Is there any technical reason why this rock can't be moved?

This thread isn't to complain, but to try improve the map - make it cleaner and more functional. Wouldn't we be worse to together see clear room for improvement and not try promote it?

its not going to hurt anyone if there were an extra tile to walk through infact alot of people would be more happy, just because some of us mapwalk doesnt mean that we should have to have such annoying obstacles, honestly who is affected by people who mapwalk? i can't think of any so who cares how we like to play the game? :)

Of course not, but if time was going to be invested (however little ) to make game changes, I don't think thats high on many peoples priority list. I'd much rather have the dev's time go towards the bot marketplace, or implementing fishing.

Seriously I looked at this area in map editor after I saw this post, I think it would take about 5 min. to fix. At least after doing my guild map it would take me about that long. It's not that complicated, De-select walking square north side->move rock north->select square for walking on south side, done, print, no resource changing, nothing else would need to move all the bots would still be ok, the council for promotion of keeping the rock would still be happy and people could then walk side by side in peace to the storage holding hands, newbies would marvel at the glorious map that is NC and buy rostos from the shop.

That or implement pie into the game pie solves everything......

Edited by Elf_Ninja

@Elf_Ninja: 5 minutes? o0 you're a slow mapmaker :) 2 minutes tops.

As for "there are other priorities", make another TO DO list with stuff that can be done in less than 15 minutes. Do it to warm up, while you're drinking coffee, while reading a paper or in between top priorities. I think many people hate it when the game gets all kinds of new stuff added, but the old imperfections and glitches and bugs still remain. It's like Windows :D

While I do use map-walking, I think it hurts the game in the long run. But, this isn't about removing the map-walking. What I think people need to do is look for ways they can use & enjoy the game as it is, instead of complaining about a minor issue and trying to change the game just to make it simpler.

hehe, yes, maybe MM should have a path thats only passable by one char at a time on the way from sto to silver cave :).

But seriously, the path from NC to WS cave was made more important by some recent changes to the game, for example with respect to coal harvesting (Arius, WS...). So just take this as a suggestion that accompanies the ever ongoing changes that are made to the game, not as a complaint. Comments and suggestions are a positive sign that ppl do still care. If there ever are no more comments or suggestions (or what you call 'complaints'), then you can be sure that the game is dead.

regards

mapwalking doesnt hurt the game that much, but so does clicking all the time to get a few steps ahead and then keep clicking to go to some other point untill you reached your destination.. maps are too big for that, well most are

if mapwalking hurts the game then maybe someone should spend some time changing the whole game around to have a WASD keyboard movement system, where you actually have something to do with your left hand besides doing RL stuff like drinking, or other hand excersizes.. ^^

besides, the game is simple already, why is moving a rock 1 tile making the game simpler? its just removing a bit of annoyance, nothing more, people wont lvl uber fast or earn 10 times the amount of gold if it gets changed

seriously, if you want the game to be challenging then make some real challenges, that are fun and rewarding, why does a challenge have to be clicking 3 times to get past a rock?

if we were mentally challenged then yeah it would be a challenge, but thats not the case so the rock has to go, make real challenges pls ^^

edit: how about different types of (sort of) instances? in various locations, tombs with puzzles of some sort, be able to move stuff around with your char physically instead of clicking something and get a text saying the thing moved?

or various different builds for chars, atm we got fighters/mages/rangers/summoners, how about make sub-categories for all those classes? challenge people in building their char differently to get different results like do you wanna be a fighter, deal alot of damage and take alot of damage? or do you want to be a fighter, deal low damage but not take much damage?

besides that, quests are.. well.. kinda fun, but as mentioned before theres no depth in things, you can read the story but its just a waste of time as there is nothing special about it, its all just text. makes people just ask others the keypoints of the quest, and skip all the rest, they dont read, just ask others what to do and skip text.

take for example the wine quest, it mentions a draught, but if you get in the area of the wine seller you just see healthy plants which you can harv normally, why not add a bit depth in that, make the area look dried out, if you harv you get dried up fruits/veggies or w/e, with way less stats then normal fruits.

and once you finish the wine quest (in which you solve the draught) the area looks normal again for like 5min, so you actually see you solved the draught

Edited by Infamous

@Elf_Ninja: 5 minutes? o0 you're a slow mapmaker :D 2 minutes tops.

I Know i'm slow but i like to double check my work so i don't have to do it again :P