Eternal Lands Official Forums
bkc56

Attack experience bug

We had an invasion on the PK server today. I was in Portland (multi-combat map) surrounded by ogres and trolls. Over the course of time I racked up the following:

Att exp - 570

Def exp - 76,000+

Trolls killed - 108

Ogres killed - 170

As I watched, I noticed that I was getting no floating att exp numbers either. There's no way I could kill 270+ critters, get over 76K def exp and only 570 att exp.

After a while I killed everything that had me surrounded and I moved (on top of the last kill). When the next monster attacked I started getting att exp again. A little later I got surrounded a second time and I noticed the att exp stopped again.

So there's some sort of a bug related to some of the following items that results in the att exp stopping:

* Invasion

* Multi-combat

* Continuous fighting - can't move

* Wearing a gatherer medallion (it only occurred to me just now, I should have tried removing it and see what happened).

And btw, over the last two years I've been involved in dozens of multi-combat invasions. I often check my session counters to see if I'm att or def heavy. I'd have noticed a 100x imbalance before if it was "normal". This is something new. And the only thing new in the recent past is the use of the gatherer med (which is why I wonder about testing that).

Here's a pic of the situation I was in. And yes, I did survive it.

gallery_8617_51_48601.jpg

Edited by bkc56

only thing I could think of is that unlike defense, attack experience not being reset after 15 hits (it's 15 hits, right?) if you're continuously being multied and so constantly killing something.

Edited by hussam

From what I've seen, in multi you do not get the att exp after the first monster. I experienced this during training with two ogres when one attacked while I was attacking the first I would get def exp for both, but only att exp for one. Perhaps this is also true of this?

From what I've seen, in multi you do not get the att exp after the first monster.

I won't deny that's possible, but I have trouble believing I would never have noticed such an a/d exp discrepancy in the last two years of big invasions.

When your getting multi attacked you only gain att exp from the mob your facing/hitting but def exp from all attacking you with successful dodge. Maybe that could explain it.. What is your att per hit and how many hits ~ it take to kill one?

When your getting multi attacked you only gain att exp from the mob your facing/hitting but def exp from all attacking you with successful dodge.

That makes perfect sense, but 270+ critters and 570 total attach exp. That's barely enough for 10 kills let alone 270+.

When your getting multi attacked you only gain att exp from the mob your facing/hitting but def exp from all attacking you with successful dodge.

That makes perfect sense, but 270+ critters and 570 total attach exp. That's barely enough for 10 kills let alone 270+.

I understand that but you failed to reply to the remaining part of my post. And also if you are under constant attack it would be nice to know about the exp roll on attack. Does it stop completely after 1 set or does it start to roll again when you face a new mob?

I understand that but you failed to reply to the remaining part of my post. And also if you are under constant attack it would be nice to know about the exp roll on attack. Does it stop completely after 1 set or does it start to roll again when you face a new mob?

Sorry about the other questions. I don't recall what my exp or number of hits was. I did see a +9 att at one point later, but I don't know if that was a troll or an ogre at the time. It clearly take me multiple hits to kill ogres, the fights probably last 5-7 seconds or so.

Not sure I understand the second questions. All I can say is that I noticed I was only getting def exp critter after critter. I started getting it again after a break in the action, but later when I was multi'ed again I noticed it stopped.

Realize I wasn't doing a careful analysis. I was noticing something strange while working to stay alive. If I can get a mod back to do some controlled tests, I can get some better data to post.

As I explained you in live chat, the combat system works in mysterious ways :) you only get a certain number of rounds of exp per fight (can't remember what it is, something between 12 and 16). so when you attack, and get attacked by other mobs, you will only get the exp 12-16 times, then it will stop until you completely disengage from battle with ALL of your opponents. be it diss ring, clicking around or just luck killing all of them before others attack. As for def, you get that same number of rounds of exp from every monster. so when a new one comes and attacks you, you get def exp.

Just flee every 15-20 rounds (or more often if you hit 95%). In an invasion that dense you wont get a lot of exp whithout fleeing.

Attack exp is bound to your char,

Def exp is bound to your opponent, so a new opponent will give another 14 rounds of def exp.

That can't be right. In the invasions I've been in, or when dcws ganged me in bethel, the att. counter always starts from 0 after I kill the monster and move on to the next.

Edited by idefix

Stange indeed, never seen such a discrepancy between a/d during invasions even if u were ganged...

well lets see in the next invasion what'll happen

That can't be right. In the invasions I've been in, or when dcws ganged me in bethel, the att. counter always starts from 0 after I kill the monster and move on to the next.

In my experience I've noticed the opposite - like others have said, you dont get fresh att exp until you dis- from all monsters and re-engage.