Eternal Lands Official Forums
Chosen

Problem - Map Changes/Resyncs

EL runs fine, until I go to map change, then it loads, but causes me to resync/grue out, it only seems to happen on the big maps.

I've got the latest drivers and stuff, fresh install of Windows XP. Not exactly sure what the problem is.

#edit - Also, it happened on irinveron, now I can't log on.

Edited by Liquid

EL runs fine, until I go to map change, then it loads, but causes me to resync/grue out, it only seems to happen on the big maps.

I've got the latest drivers and stuff, fresh install of Windows XP. Not exactly sure what the problem is.

#edit - spellings.

I have sort of the same issue. Going from MM to WS I get a resync and when I am RoT going in the graveyard door I get a resync also. I haven't hit a grue doing so but this does happen often.

I used to have similar problems, especially if changing from an inside map to a large outside map - it would take forever for the map to load and/or I would resync/grue. I followed the steps in this thread about improving client performance and no longer experience the issue. I don't know if this will help you or not or if you've already tried it...

Thanks, I'll give it a shot, and I checked CPU usage, EL was at 95-100%.

You're welcome. I hope it helps. :(

Edited by chr0nik

eh, nevermind, don't exactly understand it, guess I'll wait and buy a new card or something. :S

If you're running Windows, you can PM me in game and I can give you a hand - or send me a forum PM with what question(s) you have and I can help you that way. It's really much easier than it sounds at first.

Hmm, well after getting that to work (It did for about an hour, the same problem happened.. I don't have any idea what it is now, I've got the latest drivers for my card. (G-Force FX 5200 - on Windows XP)

Hmm, well after getting that to work (It did for about an hour, the same problem happened.. I don't have any idea what it is now, I've got the latest drivers for my card. (G-Force FX 5200 - on Windows XP)

Try uninstalling and re-installing the game.

fresh install of Windows XP.

Just a thought..

Is there anything now running on your comp, which wasnt running before and wastes CPU?

Like, does the fresh xp install has a virus scanner, firewall, some funny gadgets now?

Piper

I've got nothing installed, to antivirus atm, only running basic XP, with all my drivers installed, I got map changed by a mod, nothing happens.. My chat log when I connected:

Log started at 2009-11-05 00:23:36 localtime (GMT Standard Time)

[00:23:36] GL_ARB_multitexture extension found, using it.

[00:23:36] GL_ARB_texture_env_combine extension found, using it.

[00:23:36] GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array extension found, using it.

[00:23:36] GL_ARB_point_sprite extension found, using it.

[00:23:36] GL_ARB_texture_compression extension found, using it.

[00:23:36] GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc extension found, using it.

[00:23:36] GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap extension found, using it.

[00:23:36] GL_ARB_shadow extension found, using it.

[00:23:36] GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object extension found, using it.

[00:23:36] GL_EXT_framebuffer_object extension found, using it.

[00:23:36] GL_EXT_draw_range_elements extension found, using it.

[00:23:36] Couldn't find the GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two extension, not using it...

[00:23:36] GL_ARB_fragment_program extension found, using it.

[00:23:36] GL_ARB_vertex_program extension found, using it.

[00:23:36] GL_ARB_fragment_shader extension found, using it.

[00:23:36] GL_ARB_vertex_shader extension found, using it.

[00:23:36] GL_ARB_shader_objects extension found, using it.

[00:23:36] GL_ARB_shading_language_100 extension found, using it.

[00:23:36] GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat extension found, NOT using it...

[00:23:36] GL_ARB_texture_rectangle extension found, NOT using it...

[00:23:36] GL_EXT_fog_coord extension found, NOT using it...

[00:23:36] Couldn't find the GL_ATI_texture_compression_3dc extension, not using it...

[00:23:36] Couldn't find the GL_EXT_texture_compression_latc extension, not using it...

[00:23:38] Shadow map size not supported! Shadow map size reduced to 768!

[00:23:38] Not using vertex program for actor animation.

[00:23:38] Error opening sound configuration file

[00:23:46] The location of the data files in use is c:\Program Files\Eternal Lands/

[00:23:46] Your personal settings and logs will be saved in C:\Documents and Settings\Luke\My Documents/Eternal Lands/main/

[00:23:46] Connecting to Server...

[00:23:46] Hi, and welcome to Eternal Lands! If you're new to the game and need help, please read the newbie helper guides on the main website. If you would rather learn by doing, talk to the Tutorial NPC, which is at the start point. In addition to that, you can type #help_me and your question to get a live response if there are helpers online. Click on the screen to continue!

[00:24:11] Using vertex program for actor animation.

[00:24:27] Resync with the server...

[00:24:27] Today is the 28th day in the month of Seedar, the year 0021, Age of the Eternals

[00:24:27] Game Time: 02:15:28

[00:24:51] Resync with the server...

[00:24:52] You were sent to the Newbie Helper by Usl. (Tried map change, didn't work).

[00:25:12] Resync with the server...

[00:25:46] Resync with the server...

[00:26:53] Resync with the server...

[00:27:11] Resync with the server...

----------

At the current point, it's using 95-99% of my CPU, when I go to Task Manager, it says EL is running, I click EL, and it stops respoding.. I have 0 FPS.

Try going into your el.ini (make a backup first), and disable everything which is non-essential. This would include sound, music, shadows, animation program, etc. Some of the options may appear a second time at the end of the file. I believe the last occurrence takes precedence.

At the current point, it's using 95-99% of my CPU, when I go to Task Manager, it says EL is running, I click EL, and it stops respoding.. I have 0 FPS.

Aha..

Not that i am a Windows expert, but when i had that using Linux, the 3D support of the graphics card driver wasn't turned on.

But then there should be a message like "3D support not availabe, using software rendering"...

But maybe that message comes only from Linux drivers and Windows drivers just start to eat CPU.

Piper

[00:24:11] Using vertex program for actor animation.

[00:24:27] Resync with the server...

[00:24:27] Today is the 28th day in the month of Seedar, the year 0021, Age of the Eternals

[00:24:27] Game Time: 02:15:28

[00:24:51] Resync with the server...

[00:24:52] You were sent to the Newbie Helper by Usl. (Tried map change, didn't work).

[00:25:12] Resync with the server...

[00:25:46] Resync with the server...

[00:26:53] Resync with the server...

[00:27:11] Resync with the server...

----------

I'm kind out of ideas at this point; it seems that the process running the EL client is stuck a infinite loop (which explains the CPU usage, the 0 FPS and the resyncs, since the I/O handling threads time out). It would be interesting to use a debugger to break into the process, and see if it is stuck inside the EL client (which would mean we have found a bug, and we can correct it), or inside one of the support libraries (cal3d & co.), inside the OpenGL code, or the driver itself. I would incline towards a bug in the driver which is triggered by EL, but it's very hard to say without debugging the client.

By any chance, do you have another system available, to which you could connect the HD so that we can try the same installation on different hardware?

By any chance, do you have another system available, to which you could connect the HD so that we can try the same installation on different hardware?

Windows usually vomits at the thought of using different hardware. A linux liveCD on the system may be an option, though this would require some instruction on how to use it, install EL, etc. (not to mention lots of RAM). Do you have any other applications which would use graphics acceleration?

Does your client experience the same problems when you connect to the test server?

Windows usually vomits at the thought of using different hardware.

No, what I meant was using another installation of Windows (configured for the hardware on the second machine) and accessing the original installation only as data. But this might be too indeed complicated.

As for trying the simplest thing first, edit your el.ini so that it has the line

#poor_man= 1

(you should be able to find that line with a 0 in your file). Then try again...

I had this exact same card, and it slowly died the exact same way.

Its problem was overheat, the error I got reported by the OS, was "infinite loop" everytime

the error occured. It would tell me this was a driver issue and so on. It was OVERHEAT only.

Check your fan, etc. iirc this card doesn't have fan or heat sensors, so its in the dark about its death.

Yeah, I kinda thought the same thing, the fan doesn't seem to be working, and overheating seems to be the issue.. Guess I'll need to get a new PC, think the motherboard has almost had it also lol. Expensive ftl. :/

#Edit - I've tried everything people said in this thread, poor man etc, nothing changed. I got map changed, nothing happened then either.. Thanks for the help guys.

Edited by Liquid

eh, I got back in-game (Just used a different graphics card.) seems I couldn't work out exactly what the problem was with the last one, I had a fan on under it, to keep it cool, just didn't seem to change anything.

Thanks everyone who tried to help. :pickaxe:

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.