Eternal Lands Official Forums
Wynand

Wipe and Cap

Wipe and Cap  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested on a Wipe&Cap of EL? (read before voting if you please)

• Yes, I think it's high-time.
    • No, this won't work.
    • Maybe, but I'd like some more clarity.

Really? 60 a/d is two-three weeks if you know what you're doing, two months at best for a newb. Then what? 80 in all skills....maybe a year, with harvest being the one that'll be tricky.

But EL has nothing to offer if everyone is the same level and the nature of the game doesn't allow for much change in that. You'd have to turn the game up-side down and since that would upset mostly the people that generate the bulk of the income of the game, that's a pretty big risk to take.

Your small knock is likely to be entire top 50 in non-combat and top200+ in a/d (yes, this sounds more dramatic then it is, cause there's overlap). I would first draw up a road map on what changes there would be, get consensus on that, start implementing the most dramatic ones and then reset.

The fact that el doesn't gain much in population is only partially because of the level grind. In the core, it's a solo game with a chat box and the more popular MMO's require one to work together much more, because of class/race/deity restrictions. The irony is that frustration with these restrictions is what sparked this game. Another major factor is that a lot of small joys have been removed, because game income dropped (rare rates, drops on monsters etc) and grinds have been made more labor intensive.

Besides, you can make an alt and dump your main if you wanna regain some of the joys of easy levels. Trust me, it helps.

Well 60/80/etc, doesn't matter, make it 120, aslong as its a realistic cap.

I give up though. I'll swing by again sometime next year, when there are even less people than now, and see how you feel then.

I give up though. I'll swing by again sometime next year, when there are even less people than now, and see how you feel then.

Oh, I'm sure you're right about that. We just disagree on the solution.

I would be for it, as long as ingrediants for items were revamped, along with the harvesting system. For this to work, many aspects of EL would need a face lift.

Item ingrediants would have to change. Harvest availability would have to change. The amount of experience needed to level and amount awarded would need to change.

It would be like making a new EL, which wouldn't be too bad. (Though I don't have to do the work, so it isn't that bad for me xD)

EL has many features, but they seem cluttered in a way. With a wipe and some reworking, these features could stick out and improve. Some may like how EL is now, but for EL to grow, substantial changes have to be made.

Quote everything that was said about the PK server.

Forget the fucking PK part. It's all that you want, you're just too short-sighted to notice it. How much money do you get for candy? Go ahead and spend $5 of them for a lifetime PK server account, or use in-game gcs to get one and see for yourself that every single thing you want with this thread is already there. We have a small player base because people like you tend to stomp on it like it doesn't exist. Why don't you spend a few weeks of your pathetic stagnated EL-Main-Server life and try something new instead?

EDIT:

Oh and if there actually was a cap which would rise over time, we'd end up at 178, like we are now. Kinda pointless, don't you think?

Edited by DHT

voted yes, I've played on and off for about 3 years and so seen alot of things come and go some for the better some not so much , but the character wipe should only come at a stage when the devs are happy not much else is going to change in the dynamics of the game and seeing as this isnt going to happen any time soon , I doubt a character wipe will do much more than get everyone to look for other things to do.

I still agree its needed tho, just perhaps not yet

Edited by Ateh

voted yes, I've played on and off for about 3 years and so seen alot of things come and go some for the better some not so much , but the character wipe should only come at a stage when the devs are happy not much else is going to change in the dynamics of the game and seeing as this isnt going to happen any time soon , I doubt a character wipe will do much more than get everyone to look for other things to do.

I still agree its needed tho, just perhaps not yet

Did anyone else find your statements about change and your signature funny :P

There are ways of changing the game without alienated a dedicated player base in the process.

Anyone that has played for years, would not like their dedication treated like crap, and erased so we

can add 30-50 more impatient people. People that want an instant fix game, max levels in a month, get

bored and make a new 'toon'. I've played those games, and I hope EL doesn't follow the same path.

(Those games are packed with "im bored" kids, and els demographic is much higher.)

Tbh the game doesnt need server wipes, caps, 3 legged hamsters in tutu's etc to keep players happy... IMO it needs things for those players to do : goals ( such as level Req quests/items, etc ), new content for ALL levels ( new instances, dynamic instance, etc etc ).

The only way a wipe and cap would work is if 10x more content was added for players to do once they reach it . Caps work in games such as WoW due to the shear size of the game world and things to do in it, without that content caps are pointless

I disagree, we need 3 legged hamsters in tutus.

Remember, when eveybody was asking for fire farting ponies and dragons?

We got dragons at least, and thats not that bad. :P

Anyways, i can imagine reasons for a char wipe, but not now. Maybe after a change of the skill system, attribute system, maybe, but not now IMO.

Piper

Even IF we did have all the problems figured out AND IF we figured out how to keep everyone perfectly happy in this game AND IF to make the game perfect beyond compare, we had to reset the server, it would be extremely difficult to justify something like this due to the real life money involved in this game Despite it being a free to play game.

Please note that before getting to the $ issue, there are 3 conditions and they are not conditions to overlook.

For anyone that makes any sort of money from this game, a server wipe would be extremely dangerous. They would not know if they would still have their customers or have new customers to replace them. Most of those people have other jobs, but my understanding, the game owner does not.

It would be easier to make another server with massive changes than to justify this.

Side note: Here's a conspiracy theory for ya.....half the people suggesting some of the changes in here might be spies/plants from another game that want to ruin this one and steal its players.

Edited by nathanstenzel

Side note: Here's a conspiracy theory for ya.....half the people suggesting some of the changes in here might be spies/plants from another game that want to ruin this one and steal its players.

roflmao. there is no word to explain you, or the bs you come out with. i'm just lost on words.

roflmao. there is no word to explain you, or the bs you come out with. i'm just lost on words.

LOL ya......that was a funny one. lol It is a nice conspiracy theory though.....and if you really thought about it, it is possible that some games might have people try to sabotage their competition. Seriously....if someone is stealing your potential to earn money and you know it, wouldn't you try to screw them over? Not that I am saying this is the case, but I am saying that this is possible.

Yes Nathan, I admit I am a spy, from the future, so is Kav, Sora and Vanyel... we were just playing EL as a cover-story, and have decided the time is right to strike just now (when EL is half the population of what it used to be :P ), to get rid of EL once and for all, since it is obviously stealing all the players from the major retail games.

No really, I am serious, look, this is my serious face ---> :)

ROFL

Probably, nobody will know when I am saying something I believe, something that I think is likely or something that I think is a chance in hell.

I will rarely say. It is amusing to watch you guys assume which is which though.

Voted against this, the mass exodus would do great damage to the game. I would like to see a very high cap above whatever the highest level is at the moment that way no one would need compensating, lets say 170-180ish, although it would still take years of grinding or alot of $$ at least lower level players can have some satisfaction in knowing that eventually they can catch up because when they get to that level at least the current high level players wont be 200+.

This in my opinion is the only logical solution and is very simple. Most newbies will probably be in the 50'+s before they realize just how hard the challenge is and by that time they will probably be eddicted enough to stay. It would also make ALOT of highish leveled players happy im sure. In time this would cause numbers to rise making the game more popular.

Voted against this, the mass exodus would do great damage to the game. I would like to see a very high cap above whatever the highest level is at the moment that way no one would need compensating, lets say 170-180ish, although it would still take years of grinding or alot of $$ at least lower level players can have some satisfaction in knowing that eventually they can catch up because when they get to that level at least the current high level players wont be 200+.

This in my opinion is the only logical solution and is very simple. Most newbies will probably be in the 50'+s before they realize just how hard the challenge is and by that time they will probably be eddicted enough to stay. It would also make ALOT of highish leveled players happy im sure. In time this would cause numbers to rise making the game more popular.

The current cap is 178. and is unreachable by any sane person, and will probably take a casual player starting from scratch a decade or more to reach, which is ridiculous.

As for your 2nd paragraph, your logic needs some work. That IS the status-quo, and it's not working. Hoping players will get addicted so they won't leave? That sounds more like drug-dealing than promoting a game IMO.

By your logic, the pk server should be packed.

Its capped at 100ad, something you can reach in 3-6 months of casual play

(focused on a\d leveling in that period), there is a low population count, and there are few

people in pr0 armor, so most fight in 'augs\ti longs'. It allows multi-play, so you can 'try other skills'

and mixing is with fruit, so leveling is much easier.

Yet the #1 reason stated, and is the source of their current poll is, no one wants to start over, even

with caps. (A\D caps only)

Any changes that bring balance can be done without a wipe. Most players (PvE Mixers) compete with themselves

and what monster they can fight, and what item they can mix. Only PKers compete with each other.

So is pointless to wipe the server to make a minor player population ?happy? by making them start over?

Yet again: PK server is P2P, no new players start on it. It's PK-based, its still the same old game, with a 100's cap.

The 'pointless wipe' is to equal the playing field (by pissing off the current player base), and (yet again) so that newbs don't have to spend 2 years catching up.

$5 for life. Pk server players have offered to give accounts. Buy accounts for players, and so on.

Again, your 'playing field' is about PK. (So PK based is a good thing) No PvE or mixer cares about the 'level of the field'. In this regards, there is nothing

for newbs to catch up too. If a player spent 2 years reaching a level, why shouldn't it take a newb 2 years to reach it as well?

So if its a not about just PKing, how does reducing (example) everyones summon level to zero, make the game instantly balanced?

I certain Raz, Tigerclaw and others are excited at the prospect of starting over, just so a new player can feel good that his beginning levels are

the tops?

So what happens if 80 summons is deemed "too much of a grind, take more than a month to reach" should everything be altered so you can reach the max

on any skill in a month? Is this fun?

Dude,Your so right there.Its all about the low lvl people.Well,when we started we had to go and harvest and lvl too..Thats just straight out the box BS to have a whipe.......I voted HEll NO and will never change that idea...Totaly not fair to us older players and not a great idea for Radu' pocket book from shop....bad bad bad idea

St_Arcane is right. And everyone knows he is.

But it won't happen St... EL is way too far down the road.

Mango? You sold out.....You really aint go no business voiceing a opinion here n00b

Tbh after thinking about it overnight the changes might be ok without f00king up current players ............. on a new server

Old skool (or things were better when I was a kid) server:

No mini harv events

PP buying NPC removed

Dragons armours removed

Orange spam weapons/armour removed

Brod removed

Non breakable NMT removed

Skills capped at 80, OA at 100

No guild maps allowed

and countless other changes that would make the game less for the "hardcore" grinder and more for the casual player

Before people shout and point to the PK server, no it would be the same limited PK as the main.

That way people could have the easy,casual game they want without pissing off the current player base.

Since any proposed cap changes to the main are not 100% guaranteed to attract hordes of new players like some believe they would, atleast the current players wouldnt been lost

Note: Yes St. is a spy for another game :P but a fail one ............ since his pikachu costume is kinda a giveaway

Edited by conavar

[

Dude,Your so right there.Its all about the low lvl people.Well,when we started we had to go and harvest and lvl too..Thats just straight out the box BS to have a whipe.......I voted HEll NO and will never change that idea...Totaly not fair to us older players and not a great idea for Radu' pocket book from shop....bad bad bad idea

St_Arcane is right. And everyone knows he is.

But it won't happen St... EL is way too far down the road.

Mango? You sold out.....You really aint go no business voiceing a opinion here n00b

Oh I'm sorry, and you are...? Joined: 2-May 08 I'ts a crying shame that such a highly esteemed ancient of the game is not exactly pleased with the idea.

Please do continue though, I kind of get the idea that a player of your specific caliber is a fine example of the newer generation of players the game has produced.

Tbh after thinking about it overnight the changes might be ok without f00king up current players ............. on a new server

Old skool (or things were better when I was a kid) server:

No mini harv events

PP buying NPC removed

Dragons armours removed

Orange spam weapons/armour removed

Brod removed

Non breakable NMT removed

Skills capped at 80, OA at 100

No guild maps allowed

and countless other changes that would make the game less for the "hardcore" grinder and more for the casual player

Before people shout and point to the PK server, no it would be the same limited PK as the main.

That way people could have the easy,casual game they want without pissing off the current player base.

Since any proposed cap changes to the main are not 100% guaranteed to attract hordes of new players like some believe they would, atleast the current players wouldnt been lost

Well yes a new server would work too, but new players should start off in that server (or else it's the same as the PK server). There's no need to make it oldskool, just adjust the previously mentioned stuff, and could probably make cap around 120 so it's not a pushover.

However, that would require $$ for a new server (woulda suggested scrapping the PK server but then 9-10 raging fanatics would probably come burn down my house for the thought), and will also split the playerbase.

Despite that, it would still work better than the current arangement.

Note: Yes St. is a spy for another game :wub: but a fail one ............ since his pikachu costume is kinda a giveaway

lol, bite me ;)

However, that would require $$ for a new server (woulda suggested scrapping the PK server but then 9-10 raging fanatics would probably come burn down my house for the thought), and will also split the playerbase.

True but a new server is a better option, since any wipe/cap changes to the main would lose players without any guarantee of attracting new ones, and if it doesnt its kinda bolloxed the game.

A new server is hedging your bets and is a safer option for Radu.

woulda suggested scrapping the PK server but then 9-10 raging fanatics would probably come burn down my house for the thought

Might be an option, and if they want your address they can pm me :wub:

Edited by conavar

voted no, this game is great because of the long time needed to get cool levels

And what would you do with dragons and such creatures?

They'd be useless in the game...(well,peace day+poisoned caltrops work with any level)

just wondering, have u consider the fact of spawns? in your equation of "We need wipe & cap or EL is doooomed :wub: "

lets say average of logged players daily is 200. BOOM server resets. Everyone still interested rushs to start a new char with their name before someone steals it. Everyone still "addicted to EL" logs on. we have 100 Players standing on IP. (Half the population decreased) ..

here's were the spawn situation kicks in. now we have 100 people looking for rats/rabbit spawns. lets say 40% of them are afk-ISH. so 40 of them heads to the vege patch. 60 of the 100 starts looking for wabbits. we now have ~60 people serping each other's rabbits... and some of the daring ones takes on deers and foxs. complaining starts -> "oh noes i saw 5 people when i died. so that means one of those 5 people training with me at the 2x rabbit spawn took my DB. -goes to disputes- ..

Player 1: "wtf N00b?! i was here first. stop serping or brown tag'd"

Player 2: "whatever. u cant even afford a guild yet! ROFLMAOO~!111!!!"

Player 3: "Hey! Want to share the spawn? Sharing is caring :laugh: "

Player 1: "You both need to leave. this is my f00king spawn. i was waiting a good 1 hour for it. GTFO"

Player 2: *starts serping the rabbit* "HAHHAHAHA!! Make me!~! ROFLlololool!!!1!11111111"

-disputes gets spam'd with lots of topics about DB geting jump, spawn serping etc-

------

BackGround: the reason the yetis trainer were at a stop was cause they didnt have anything to train on since the only thing profitable and gives decent exp was yetis.. but there's only ~2 good yeti spawns. so we have ~2-5 Players camping each spawn.. radu introduced the orcs so everything toned down a bit now..

but.

server restarts: we have a "group" that serps without thinking (cause they want mucho exp).. and another "group" thats more lenient and justs sits afk at a spawn until their turn.. another "group" that doesnt even bothers and just afk harvests and talk 24/7 on #GM & @..

group 1: serps rabbits. -> complains on forum not enough spawns -> serps rats. -> complains on forums not enough spawns -> some leaves game -> rests moves on to deers & wolves -> MAJOR serping in VOTD wolf spawns -> MAJOR disputes and forum topics about limited spawns -> etc. etc. -> more people leave -> etc etc. -> more people leave...

group 2: trains rabbits when spawn avaliable -> some leaves cause tired of waiting -> starts complaining on forums about people serping -> starts brown tagging people -> goes afk most of the time when sitting/camping spawns -> trains when avaliable -> leaves game -> complains on forums about possible changes that might convince them to come back -> more leaves games -> some advances to rats & deers!! -> complains that the "serpers" is cheating and life is unfair.. etc etc. (let me shed a tear for you -> :stare: .. :stare: .. :stare: .. no i think its broken :D ) -> becomes inactive in game & plays fulltime on forums (their kind of game.. keeps them entertained i guesse) -> etc. etc.

group 3: harvests -> trains every other full moon -> harvests -> harvests some more -> harvests their EL heart out -> finds rosto -> trys to sell rostos -> not alot of players with enough gc to afford a 20k+ rostos -> not alot of players with stuff thats more expensive then that amount (for a rosto to be worthwhile) -> rostos useless until Group 1 goes to orges+ and has CoLs/Iron Sets -> Rosto price goes down -> people buys gc from other players cause the rosto sells sucks -> gc buying becomes popular again -> continues to harvest and afk and spam chats -> sees a forum topic about increasing gc drop rates/more spawns -> knocks it down cause "OMFGz the economy!! ur'll ruin the economy!!~!"

----

*whistles* i look forward to this "wonderful" wipe/restart server thing u r suggesting...

cause in the end everything will end up at this road. the only changing matter is the economy rate.. since ofc it WILL BE LESS. cause what newbies wants to fight with 50~ old players for a wabbit spawn?? ;)

PS: people will still complain about this and that. about how a "group" is higher a/d then them and how the training system's unfair. etc. etc.

-hoping my view sheds some light on why/my reasons for voting no :icon4:

TigerClaw of GODz.