Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hermit

Starting over.

Please reply WHY YOU think it would be a good or bad decision.  

177 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of an entire server reset (all characters deleted)

• Yes, definately.
    • No, not a chance.
    • I like the idea but I've worked too long and hard for my levels.
    • Other will rant.

I don't really know what to expect from the replies, and those who think this is retarded plz don't flame me I am fully aware of what you think and why. I really just made this just to see what the replies would be.

Just really want to ask the question for a few reasons.

1. There is no cap. Any new player wanting to come here and "own" basically has to either shell out 500$+ or spend the next 3 years of their life plastered to a computer screen for some crazy grinding.

2. Basically the only people you see are people who have been here for years, if advertised properly it could bring in a lot of new players.

Really honestly I don't expect it to ever happen, I really just want to see what other people think about it. I feel stupid just asking because I'm sure most people won't understand my motive.

Edited by Hermit

Then explain your motive.

I don't see why it would need to be done right now. Server wipes are made when a huge change to the game is made.

As for people who can't get up the rankings, they won't even if server was restarted simply because the top players are better at training/grinding.

Then explain your motive.

I don't see why it would need to be done right now. Server wipes are made when a huge change to the game is made.

As for people who can't get up the rankings, they won't even if server was restarted simply because the top players are better at training/grinding.

tbh the game is in a state of stagnation as far as im concerned I personally think it would be fun to do, I remember the game in its younger years and I liked it a lot better then

The PK server is in its early years, and I like it too. Maybe you should try it. Plus, we're considering character copying to attract new players there (with radu's approval), so reseting the main server before that would not be such a great idea.

The purpose is not what is best for me, I just want to know what other people think. And I don't train a/d much, so I'd suck really bad at the pk server. :P

Edited by Hermit

Voted no not a chance

Im one of those players who have spent 3 years grinding to get my lvls, sure i am not one of the top players in any field but im happy with my chars. Yes it is hard work, its not meant to be easy.

I don't think that anyone in their right mind who has spent any sort of time lvling their char would even consider just giving up so that people who cant be arsed trying to close the gaps will have some sort of equal advantage and as already stated top players know how to lvl fast in training, before to long those that would like to see this happen would be left behind again. A few years down the line the same people would be asking for another wipe because its "not fair their stronger, better have nicer stuff than me"

I am not trying to flame anyone whatsoever but feel that this poll has no point at all and hope to see a lot of voting as i have to prove that point.

Regards

Davy

tbh the game is in a state of stagnation as far as im concerned I personally think it would be fun to do, I remember the game in its younger years and I liked it a lot better then

So glad you have a good valid reason to want it *face palm*

The purpose is not what is best for me, I just want to know what other people think. And I don't train a/d much, so I'd suck really bad at the pk server. :P

In the first post you said you liked the game better at its earlier years, and that's your reasoning to making a server wipe. That kinda stands for "what I want".

Off-topic: PK server is not only about A/D, quite the opposite. You should try it and judge it then.

In the first post you said you liked the game better at its earlier years, and that's your reasoning to making a server wipe. That kinda stands for "what I want".

Off-topic: PK server is not only about A/D, quite the opposite. You should try it and judge it then.

I'll make an attempt to explain. Sometimes I'm too lazy and I generalize my ideas. It was a lot funner. For 1. The best armor was not worth 80 dollars. So every once in awhile you'd get a decent drop from pking and there were no rostogols. People cared less because it was relatively easy to get another iron plate or serp sword or mirror br cloak etc etc. It wasn't about who can BROD someones 80 dollar item as stated in liquids thread. Then in KF you would drop items, and there was no shortage for fights.

A few of the reasons I liked it better back then was because of no cooldown(which made a lot of people quit). Obv that won't be changed just like the server is never going to be restarted. Ppl have spent a lot on pps and other ppl have years of hoarding.

There would be relatively no hoarding as people would not have the money to do that(right away at least). They themselves would be spending their money on things they need and not buying up all of 1 item to have a monopoly on it.

Now some people are basically endgame, and not everyone is. This would instantly remove gold farming. I believe that started at yeti's and moved up. While they would still prove a challenge for top fighters it would be a long time for people to farm. Even back then we'd go have fun and kill an AC but not to farm, only to have fun in a guild project.

Now that the game has improved vastly, its not likely the people that tried it and didn't like it in the past would ever come back. Not knowing that it is perma-beta and ever evolving. A campaign to invite new people after the server reset could bring new players to the game. Not really a guarantee.

The reasons are endless even if I don't list them all. There are just as many counter arguements to all my arguements I know. It's just an idea and the only way to really see if it works would be to do it, but thats not what I want. All I want to know is what other people think of the idea. Creative imagination call it.

What I mean by stagnation is, day after day, its the same people on one server playing the same game doing the same stuff. There is no randomness at all and everyone has basically gotten comfortable. The reason for my idea is that it would be a brand new game. Not one people have played for years. Ya know?

Edit: Sometimes I just writesmall or paraphrase to you don't have to read a ginormous thread like this. Which normally ppl never do anyway.

Now that I have unnecessarily explained myself I want to know what other people think.

Edited by Hermit

I get your point, and have only one suggestion - try the PK server (again) lol

no gold farming, no yeti farming, killing high level monsters requires teamwork, you can kill basically everyone and very often get drops, etc etc. Seriously.

no gold farming, no yeti farming, killing high level monsters requires teamwork, you can kill basically everyone and very often get drops, etc etc. Seriously.

Exactly though what's good for the goose is good for the gander. If its good for pk server, its even better for main server. I rarely like full pk games I like to choose when I want to fight. That time is normally while I'm not training. :pickaxe: I think your just an undercover pk server recruiter. :P

Edited by Hermit

Now that the game has improved vastly, its not likely the people that tried it and didn't like it in the past would ever come back. Not knowing that it is perma-beta and ever evolving. A campaign to invite new people after the server reset could bring new players to the game. Not really a guarantee.

and did u consider the people who trained their butt off for 3years+ to be the best of your best?? or anyone else for that matter? that puts "effort" into leveling their character?? (ofc u probally dont since ur "lazy" :pickaxe: ) if the server restarts.. then most-likely alot of the oldies will quit. because who wants to see 5 years of hardwork go down the drain? (some also bought chars/rostos/nexus/other stuff with RL $$$... would they just accept all that -poofing- :P ) and u cant guarantee new players coming in.. so if old players leave cause of this. and new players coming into the game is the same rate as it is now (cause if u reset the server, EL will still be EL.. if they dont like it.. they wont play it.. but the people who likes it.. are the people who have been here for years) then EL's community will decrease in number. I guarantee it. :pickaxe:

Yes, having to train years and buy many many pps to compete with the best is obviously such an awesome incentive to play. >.>

and the pk server lol? it's the most boring place i've ever seen in my life. i'm sure the whole 8 allied playerbase love to sit there and play with themselves. "oh i'll make my fighter some essences so i can train magic so that one day i'll be the strongest mage on the server of a whole 8 people"

[start_rant]the server has needed a wipe since the whole pp buying bullshit started. though ofcourse no one will agree with me, the current state of the game is beyond a character wipe. it won't do any good lol. ppl who been grinding for years will /wrist and newbs would say they'd train to be the best but they'd give up after 80 ish in any skill. EL is VERY time consuming, it's only for people that have time to waste spending hours havesting for such a little goal, let alone these crazy bastards you see with 20k + steel bars in sto and etc. then you start to wonder, how good the script kiddies are. the amount of moderators increasing can only mean one thing, apparently more moderation is "needed". ch6 is entertainment, ppl flaming there constantly and there is rly nothing that can be done about it but constantly mute people and ofc that pisses people off, but wonder why these flames and bs have come to the actual extent they have currently. It never used to be like this, before there wasn't a necessity to own a brod, but even when many ppl offer to remove it (worst feature of the game, how do you expect to keep ppl in the game when one hit from the damn thing can wreck months of playing). I've never been broded for much, most expensive thing of mine that was ever hit was a CoL and I repaired it. however, when a close friend quits the game because they spent 2 months mining and making steel bars to purchase some armor, and then some random char buyer nub comes and brods her, how do you expect her to want to keep playing? and it IS one of the biggest reasons the ppl you see in PK bought chars/gc/etc because they can afford all the top gear and the protection from it. i have more and more to rant, but it'll just get ignored with half of the best ideas that ever hit these forums, just to be mocked by sadists with nothing better to do.[/end_rant]

Edited by Luigi

Since the PK server rankings page was introduced, we could follow how many players logged on (that wasnt so long ago, and you need to log on after it was introduced to get your nick on the page). Since then, almost 200 characters have been logged on, so thats 50-100 people. And many more are on "school vacation" if we could call it that. You don't like PK server? No one gives a shit. But check your facts before bullshitting around.

If you don't like the game don't play the game, go find something else to do and when you get bored with that rant on their forums so the rest of us don't have to listen to in EL forums :P

Last time I was there every person I killed used a rosto. Now that there are more high level armours, the rostos will be even more necessary and common. Ofc the harvest alt exc cape counts as drop too...

And what you said about ranking page and player base... it's statistics. In the beginning several had 5 characters and majority had 2+.

If these two are absolute bullocks I might actually give it a go again.

A reset once a year (or what ever) could actually be quite interesting...

This game isn't like other games, maybe that is why it might work. Perhaps to reward/compensate* players for everything they have achieved prior to each reset.

*In a way that would not give them a large advantage in the new "reset" server. Such as, some flashy clothing[take tailoring skill out to make this 'valuable'] (we all know how vain EL players are). Unique mounts....unique items that enhance gameplay , pets? special random skills... the skys the limit.

Edited by Frost

Last time I was there every person I killed used a rosto. Now that there are more high level armours, the rostos will be even more necessary and common. Ofc the harvest alt exc cape counts as drop too...

And what you said about ranking page and player base... it's statistics. In the beginning several had 5 characters and majority had 2+.

If these two are absolute bullocks I might actually give it a go again.

Of course, because on the main server no one ever wears a rosto and you get sooo many drops in kf you can swim in them. Oh, did I mention that rostos are so expensive that majority of fighters dont go to pk at all and if they do, they flee when they are about to die because they dont want to spend another 20k on a new shiny rosto?

I got a nice low end gear set +supplies from pk just yesterday. If that never happens to you, all it takes is ask to not wear a rosto.

and fyi, those several you were talking about were woodeh and liquid. maybe one more, but even with 5 chars per person, it makes 40 people.

A reset once a year (or what ever) could actually be quite interesting...

This game isn't like other games, maybe that is why it might work. Perhaps to reward/compensate* players for everything they have achieved prior to each reset.

*In a way that would not give them a large advantage in the new "reset" server. Such as, some flashy clothing[take tailoring skill out to make this 'valuable'] (we all know how vain EL players are). Unique mounts....unique items that enhance gameplay , pets? special random skills... the skys the limit.

I was also thinking a NPC could be made for items that are bought exclusively in item shop so that player would be able to get their items on their new char that they paid $$$ for. Say... NPC takes your tit thermal, you create a password. Once you get to X level after reset you unlock your item and can retrieve it with the password. Bandana's/caps/tiara's/crowns included. And p2p races. So people aren't at a loss for the money they spent on game.

Edited by Hermit

A reset for no other reason than a reset is not a good idea. You upset a majority of players for no reason, other than to end up in the same place with the same problems that triggered the call for a reset in the first place.

ONLY if major changes are needed and decided upon to fix any problems should there be a complete wipe/reset.

In that case, I would be all for it.

I didn't vote, I didn't like the options. I would not vote for it or against it unconditionally.

(It has happened in the past when the pickpoint system was added among other things and the people who stayed were well rewarded with the best community EL ever had imo. Everyone worked together to rebuild, guilds helping guilds, players helping players, and everyone respected everyone else who stayed and continued on.)

Resetting the server without fixing the problems seems pointless... we'd just end up back where we are, eventually.

I didn't vote... i've quickly and drastically started caring much less about EL's balance, or lack thereof, as it's been pretty clearly stated to me recently that the direction EL will be taken in is not what i'd like, it's not going to be the right kind of game for me, ever, apparently.

I think i mainly still play simply out of habit :P

Don't expect an unbiased result, nobody would want their months/years of hard work deleted, so appending a poll is meaningless. An anual-wipe is also not the best idea, because (and I'm just using common sense here) you will lose lots of players after each wipe, also shop sales will decline since you lose your stuff every year.

Now what I propose instead: a wipe, but then place a cap on levels, start off at about 60/80 or w/e.

*Firstly it will bring balance to the game, the more 'enthusiastic' players will not get so far ahead that everyone else is just grinding to catch up (leaving very little time to do anything else), skills wont be just numbers that need to get higher, fighters will actually have time to fight each other, than playing 'lets see who can grind the most hours a day. Mixers can actually concentrate on making something worthwhile, instead of creating thousands upon thousands of meaningless items, just because they give the most exp at the lowest cost.

*You might even get some 'enthusiastic' players to try out some other skills they previously disregarded. And if you have achieved maximum level on one particular char, you can always try a new char with a different spec/attributes/nexus or w/e

*Then when you raise the cap, you will have a larger playerbase at max level, so when the dev's introduce new content to the game, it will benefit much more people (IE it will be used by more people).

It will straighten out alot of issues IMO, and make the game alot more newb-friendly, and retain alot more seasoned players who don't have the time to keep up with the more 'enthusiastic' players.

Edited by St_Arcane