Eternal Lands Official Forums
Theryndan

new buddy list

This is not even an actual bug, and it fixed itself, but wanted to mention it in case it's a symptom of something else.

When I logged on today, my buddy list was empty (like expected after the update) except for a "3C" grayed out (listed as offline?).

I couldn't click/rightclick on it, and can't be a player since the name is too short. After adding someone else to the buddy list, 3C was still there.

After re-logging it was gone. I've tried clearing the buddy list again and relogging, but couldn't reproduce the issue anymore.

OS Slackware linux

Client compiled from cvs ~2 days ago

This is not even an actual bug, and it fixed itself, but wanted to mention it in case it's a symptom of something else.

When I logged on today, my buddy list was empty (like expected after the update) except for a "3C" grayed out (listed as offline?).

I couldn't click/rightclick on it, and can't be a player since the name is too short. After adding someone else to the buddy list, 3C was still there.

After re-logging it was gone. I've tried clearing the buddy list again and relogging, but couldn't reproduce the issue anymore.

OS Slackware linux

Client compiled from cvs ~2 days ago

I experienced the same thing 3C (Hex) (Also on the test, yesterday).

Relogging did not help, but I did #clear_buddy, then relogged removed it.

I had the same issue but my message was "m9". Logging off and back on seems to have fixed the issue...

m9.jpg

EDIT: I WOULD LIKE TO THANK MAXINE FOR HELPING ME SOLVE THIS :(

Edited by Paul Brown

When I log on to EL, my Offline buddies (greyed out) are reported by the EL client as being Online. I.e, the client says 'xyz is online" yet buddy list shows they are offline and greyed out.

When I log on to EL, my Offline buddies (greyed out) are reported by the EL client as being Online. I.e, the client says 'xyz is online" yet buddy list shows they are offline and greyed out.

same... but i did #clear_buddy when I read the update yesterday, before adding new buddies, and this is my 4th re-log and still it says they are online after the green messages, but grayed out on my list. and I really am sure I did #clear_buddy

same... but i did #clear_buddy when I read the update yesterday, before adding new buddies, and this is my 4th re-log and still it says they are online after the green messages, but grayed out on my list. and I really am sure I did #clear_buddy

There were 2 buddy list updates, are you sure you did #clear_buddy then log off then log back on before adding any buddies the second time around? Even if you didn't seem to have any problems, after the second update to fix the new buddy list bugs from the first update, you HAVE to do the #clear_buddy then log off before adding anybody.

Just clearing the list without logging off, or just logging off without clearing the list, or not doing the complete process after the second update would still give you the problems.

I suggest again now do #clear_buddy, log off, then log back on. It should fix it. You will have to re-add your buddies though, sorry.

There were 2 buddy list updates, are you sure you did #clear_buddy then log off then log back on before adding any buddies the second time around? Even if you didn't seem to have any problems, after the second update to fix the new buddy list bugs from the first update, you HAVE to do the #clear_buddy then log off before adding anybody.

Just clearing the list without logging off, or just logging off without clearing the list, or not doing the complete process after the second update would still give you the problems.

I suggest again now do #clear_buddy, log off, then log back on. It should fix it. You will have to re-add your buddies though, sorry.

I did this per request from you earlier as you know but it still is happening. So it does look to be a minor bug with the system.

IsaBug.jpg

This screen was taken about 2 minutes ago.

Gah bummer, thought we had figured it out before.

Nerdz and Jen_marie, please try to #clear_buddy and log off then log back on, and please post your results here.

Gah bummer, thought we had figured it out before.

Nerdz and Jen_marie, please try to #clear_buddy and log off then log back on, and please post your results here.

ok, will try it again... will edit this after

-----------

ok, here's the result... as per Aislinn's

Right after I #clear_buddy yesterday (at least my time :))

elscreen017.jpg

then re-log and added some friends who are online

Then today as I log on...

elscreen021-2.jpg

Edited by Jen_Marie38

I'm not positive about this, but I'm pretty sure that this is due to how the server is sending the information to the client (I looked at the client code for clarity on this.)

There are two fields with the message that's sent, the first field was a 1 or a 0 (1 being logged in, 0 not..) and the second field which is a color code (to display the color you'd chosen for that name.)

Now, the message is always coming through with a 1 (logged in...) but with the color grey for logged off (and other colors for logged in...) This is why the colors are matching up right but the messages "whomever is logged on" is always being written to the console (because it's always sending a 1...)

This is also affecting all of the bots we host. I put a fix in for it until I realized exactly what the bug is, now I'm not so sure if I'll need to back the fix back out (I'm thinking I will need to..)

I think if the first field is sending a 0 with logged off that this will be fixed.

DB

EDIT: the alternative is to fix the client code (and the bot code) to recognize the color code that is sent from the server and key off of it... grey = offline otherwise online...

EDIT 2: I obviously didn't see radu's post before I posted this.... sorry for the rehash..

Edited by DogBreath

I'm not positive about this, but I'm pretty sure that this is due to how the server is sending the information to the client (I looked at the client code for clarity on this.)

I think you misunderstand the messages, at least how they now work after the off-line buddy change. The byte you are interpreting as "1" to log on and "0" to log off does not have that meaning. A "1" tells the client to add the named buddy to the the list. If the type byte if "0xFE" then the buddy is off-line, otherwise the type byte is the buddy colour in the list. A "0" tells the client to remove the buddy from the list, which will only happen if you remove a buddy "#del_buddy"; not when a buddy goes off-line.

The invalid "... has logged on." messages received when you start the client are due to some now redundant code in the client. If you start the client and log in within a few seconds, you do not get these messages. We are very lucky that the original author of the buddy code coded in off-line buddy support as described above; this mostly works well. They also added some comments as to code that would need removing to finish the off-line implementation. I'll update the CVS version soon with these changes.

I think you misunderstand the messages, at least how they now work after the off-line buddy change. The byte you are interpreting as "1" to log on and "0" to log off does not have that meaning. A "1" tells the client to add the named buddy to the the list. If the type byte if "0xFE" then the buddy is off-line, otherwise the type byte is the buddy colour in the list. A "0" tells the client to remove the buddy from the list, which will only happen if you remove a buddy "#del_buddy"; not when a buddy goes off-line.

The invalid "... has logged on." messages received when you start the client are due to some now redundant code in the client. If you start the client and log in within a few seconds, you do not get these messages. We are very lucky that the original author of the buddy code coded in off-line buddy support as described above; this mostly works well. They also added some comments as to code that would need removing to finish the off-line implementation. I'll update the CVS version soon with these changes.

Can you link plz the cvs?

Can you link plz the cvs?

Not sure what you mean. By CVS version, I mean the latest client source code in the CVS source code repository. There is not an official published build of this version AFAIK but you can build your own from that source.

Anyhow, I have committed the changes to CVS to hopefully fix the extra "... has logged on." messages. If buddies are on-line when you login, you get a "... is online" message. There will be no message for off-line buddies but they show in your buddy window as greyed out.

Next, I'm going to look at the buddies GUI to allow deleting of off-line buddies; the "#del_buddy" command already works for both on-line and off-line buddies.

Thanks for the clarification :P

I've just commited another code change to CVS that allows you to delete an off-line buddy using the "change buddy" window.