Eternal Lands Official Forums
The_Piper

More realism - rotting items

as you read, you see your idea just piss people off... plz think on some FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN part of game don't try to be killjoy

if you so badly want real life, move from computer and get your rotten vegetables out of refrigerator, move you bike from rain etc.... just don't try to kill EL !!!!!!!!! and plz go to KF and forget your cape of the unbreakable if you wanna "save economy"

when you really wanna save economy come kf and invite all your friends... if they would not be even more busy recovering rotten stuff!!!

Edited by exe666

If more stuff leaves the game, more stuff must be replaced, so thats good for the economy.

Piper

To much talk about "the economy this,the economy that", the only currency worth anything in any MMO is : Enjoyment.

Can have the best economy online,but if the games becomes to much of a pain to play ppl wont..

People need to stop worrying about the economy or making things more realistic and concentrate on idea's to make the game more enjoyable, not idea's that will make it less so

:icon4:

and the award one of the worest idea ever goes to mr piper.gz

Edited by kingado

I wonder why you, folks, assumed Piper's idea was MEANT to spoil fun? Can't you admit that his point of view MIGHT be different than yours and some more realism is within HIS definition of 'fun'?

I wonder why you, folks, assumed Piper's idea was MEANT to spoil fun? Can't you admit that his point of view MIGHT be different than yours and some more realism is within HIS definition of 'fun'?

I 100% agree his point of view is different but if breaking/degrading/loosing items for him is more fun then tell him to go to KF without a red cape and we can give him all the "fun" he is looking for.

Natsume, please reread The_Piper's post and see where he mentions fun?

Actually, I see:

To get more stuff out of the game,
Pro:

More stuff will leave the game or force players to use it.

So with the bit of reading skills I have, I gather that his suggestion might be to get more stuff out of the game, right?

Apart from this not being 'fun', it would be something based on the ASSUMPTION that every player plays this game every day for at least several hours per day, which isn't the case. I know plenty of people who log on maybe once every 2 weeks, and only for an hour or so when they do so. They still slowly gather their stuff together. It wouldn't make sense, and would be highly discouraging for them to come back after 2 weeks, and find half their storage being rotten.

In my opinion this would be a guarantee to chase off the less active part of the playerbase.

Natsume, please reread The_Piper's post and see where he mentions fun?

Actually, I see:

To get more stuff out of the game,
Pro:

More stuff will leave the game or force players to use it.

So with the bit of reading skills I have, I gather that his suggestion might be to get more stuff out of the game, right?

Apart from this not being 'fun', it would be something based on the ASSUMPTION that every player plays this game every day for at least several hours per day, which isn't the case. I know plenty of people who log on maybe once every 2 weeks, and only for an hour or so when they do so. They still slowly gather their stuff together. It wouldn't make sense, and would be highly discouraging for them to come back after 2 weeks, and find half their storage being rotten.

In my opinion this would be a guarantee to chase off the less active part of the playerbase.

Dilly, REREAD, please.

It isn't fun for you. I would say that encouraging people to actually USE the item they keep hoarding, apart from being logical - which has a value, MIGHT increase 'fun' part of the game. Depends on implementation. One is sure, it would make the game more challenging as everything would require some better planning - and for some, challenges ARE fun.

I agree, rotting items might discourage people who don't have much time to play. Yet, again, a lot depends on implementation.

if rotting is going to be implemented, it should cover only food. It shouldn't cover armor/clothes/weapons/other items.

Another thing, this is a fantasy game. It doesn't have to follow real life rules.

My antagonist tendencies suggest I would vote for this. It will add some strategy in this area.

It would create fun for some of the obsessive compulsive types, but not much for the casual player.

Just remember to wipe everyone's storage first, and let me know so I can hyper all my junk.

Just remember to wipe everyone's storage first,

Yeah, and last one to leave dont forget to turn off the lights :hiya:

I don't want this implemented at all. I harvest when it's convenient to harvest and mix when it's convenient to mix and so on. I don't want to sit down to mix only to find half my ings are gone. That not fun. Games are supposed to be fun. If you want realism, go outside.

natsume,u sure u know wat funn means?

if u need challenges go kf or go pwn dragons naked

natsume,u sure u know wat funn means?

if u need challenges go kf or go pwn dragons naked

Fun is, when you can make stuff to level, like leather pants, rings, medallions and can sell them for a fair prize and not just dump them into the rivan ocean.

It is not fun to harvest for hours to make money, then buy leather and thread, then make leather helms in a manu school to level, because you have no chance to sell the final product for a fair prize.

Most of them who posted here, looked at this suggestion from the way of a customer, but not from the way of a craftsman.

Its not only that you can kill dragons all day long, there are even other ppl in game. Those who make stuff and want to make a living too without too much boredom.

For example, i made some years ago like 5000-6000 leather pants to level manu. Because you can better sell pants than leather helms to customers and get at least some money from your work.

So, since years i am selling those pants with my bot and now i am really down to 800 or something. After years!

I am not willing to sell them on market channel, because i am not willing to run across half Draia just to sell 2 pants to make like 200 gc.

So, since fighters dont want to harvest to make money and always complain, that they cant get money out of fighting to train, why should manuers, crafters, potters, alchemists or whoever go harvest to make money, and not make money out of their skill by selling the final product for a fair prize?

And thats the one and only point of my suggestion:

Bring stuff out of game, so manuers, crafters, alchemists and so on have a bigger market to sell their products for a fair prize.

Thats all, nothing more or less.

Piper

u can sell leather helms to trick,no?

and alchemist can make profit by only making hes,they sell in no time,very hard to

get em on market.

not every skill make u rich.and ppl who r training a pking,they degread and break stuff,use tons of ess,pots,aint that enought?

i still dont see any reason why this idea is good,or funn.

I know some game, where its already exist. I think in EL this leads wrong way.

For being more precise: item decaying is unfair against the players, who have less time for playing and they skipping weeks or months - when coming back they can watch the (almost) empty storage. For items like fruits or raw meat it would be not a big problem, but if you are in a bigger project, it is bad if some ingreds will disappear till the others are collected.

In the game where this exist there is also a nice thing: the quality of collected ores/wood etc. based on the quality of tools are you used for (and a player with higher skills can make higher quality from the same product). Above this, you can always level-up the tools/armors quality by using new ingreds.

I would like better to see this in EL.

Edited by csiga

Well it's not that rare to see a fee for deposited items in other games.

For example in mud's there is a fee for every item deposited (only some items have NORENT flag).

When you log in, you need to have the cash to pay for rent, or your items are lost (taken by storage NPC).

I don't think that rotting items would be a soo bad idea like some people say here.

It all depends on implementation.

Its a nice idea however I hardly have time to play much these days so when I do have time its nice to 'hoard' alot of items so teh next time I can play I have stuff to mix - if thigs degraded like you sugest it will mean I will have to stop playing.

I enjoy this game and like to pop on when I can to gatehr or mix - this idea if implemented will make it imposible for me to play, I would then have to sell my BOT and give up the game.

you nubs that cant even play game right don't spoil fun for those who actually play this game ! if this gets implemented i am 1st to leave... if you like game where you must pay to deposit, go play it stop wanking off with this idea it goes on my nerves with your rotten ideas

and groomsh go play mud's and stfu. in other games items don't brake they have DURABILITY and they are able to be repaired !

how about this idea ? or you want el to rott ?

just next time ignore this insane brainless ideas and if you want realism just turn off computer !!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by exe666

and groomsh go play mud's and stfu. in other games items don't brake they have DURABILITY and they are able to be repaired !

Why are you so angry ? I did not say "please implement fee for deposited items" ... I said it's not that rare.

Durability about which you are talking is something that can not be done so easy in EL (it was said million times why, but of course you can pay enough to the devs so it gets implemented :confused: ).

PS: Btw. I play a mud...

It seems alot of people don't like this idea. It is true that you would probably have things in storage for a long time while working on other skills. It would surely make it inconvenient to everyone. If rotting and rusting was to be added, it would need to be restricted to the amount of time you are actually online with your character. Also, for realism, you can't have things instantly rotted or rusted. You would need to have tell tale signs that the stuff is going bad and have various degrees of rusted/rotted state. Iron bars would not turn into iron ore....the addition of impurities is just not natural. Iron bars would turn into various states of rusted iron bars. It would take quite alot of time for it to completely rust and for the most part, I think the iron bars would still be smelt-able, but I am not a real-life blacksmith, so I can't confirm this. Ask some of the real life blacksmiths in the game for info on that. Basically, it would take the addition of 2-3 items per item that will be affected by rot/rust and some extra server rules and online time counter and "birth timestamps" to implement that. None of this is likely.

Well, how about this for realism? Archaeology has discovered metal gear from at least 3,000 years ago, so if this time limit is implemented, by all means, let's sit and watch that iron sword degrade! :whistle:

Most items, if stored correctly, will last longer than we would care to account for; and I would presume that the storage company know how to do this.

Flowers etc intended for alchemical use could be dried and stored for a long time.

It is only some food stuffs that would be subject to decay (especially raw meat), and it would be simpler to make these non-storable.

However, who is to say that the apple you deposited on C1 is the same apple to withdraw on C2? You could assume that storage worked more like a bank, since there are no unique items.

On the other hand, if this was implemented, it would have to be based on player-time, not game time, to allow for occasional players. Each storage slot as a time-stamp for last-access, and when accessed the time difference is used in a half-life calculation and applied to the quantity in storage, before any transaction. Apply this as a binomial random number rather than a flat percentage avoids a no-risk situation from frequent access.

Talking about realism. What i miss in the game is Flags waving in the wind. And the trees and the grass look so stiff right now.

Maybe we get wind input in version 3.0 :lurker:

Edited by SolarStar

Hmm... I think you didn't think this through. IMO storages are working this way: You put st00f in storage and when you go to get it out they just give corresponding st00f back, but it's not the same item that you let there. It wouldn't be realistic to think that you can get the same item back from any storage in the world. First you put it in sto in NC, go to SRM and get the same item back? Not possible. Same thing is with money in RL banks.

Dunno if someone said this earlier... Too lazy to read whole topic.

But baad idea. Would make game just less realistic.

Edit: Yes trollson already said it :lurker:

Edited by Miiks