Eternal Lands Official Forums
The_Piper

More realism - rotting items

Right now we put everything in storage and can withdraw it whenever we want.

Ok...

So we deposit a dead herring at the portland storage and withdraw it at NC storage 6 months later, and its still edible and healthy.

To get more stuff out of the game, i suggest, that stuff in storage rots/rusts/degrades, depending on the stuff itself.

For example, food in storage rots quite fast, lets say, with a 5% chance every week it (a single food item) will disappear (every single food item has a 5% chance every week to disappear).

Same with flowers, mushrooms and such.

Iron bars, for example, might rust and degrade to some iron ore every 4 weeks with a 10% chance.

Armor, weapons, have a 20% chance every 2 month to degrade or to turn into their ingredients.

Magic stuff like magic swords, some capes and such, could have a 1% chance to degrade every 6 months.

Clothes could be eaten by moths, 20% chance every 3 months.

Potions could degrade to poison (used to poison arrows and such).

Ores, quartz might have a 1% chance to disappear every 6 months.

And so on.

Pro:

More stuff will leave the game or force players to use it. Metal bars rust/degrade faster than weapons/armors, so it make sense, to use stuff instead of hoarding it.

Ingrediences should rot/degrade faster than final products. So dont have 10000000k sulfur and flowers in storage, convert them to fire essences.

Cons:

People who like to hoard tons of basic ingredients, like 12 millions of flowers, might not like it. Well, look for another hobby then than collecting flowers :)

Ideas? Suggestions?

Piper

Lets say you have 1 fruit in storage, and you harvest a bag full, lets say 600 in the inv, you deposit it all, and suddenly, as you're pulling it out bit by bit for use, a large chunk of it disappears? In the same day you got it because you had one fruit in the storage from a week prior.... Since all of the items in a storage slot have the same ID, it would be impossible to tell the rotting stuff apart from the fresh....

The same goes for anything on that list... New armor and clothes suddenly disappear just as you get them because you wanted to store it for a bit...

The idea would be great if EL had the ability to individually ID and time everything....

Edited by Airakose

:):P :P :):(

In a game with so many skills involved and the amount of time it takes to work the levels I this this is a horrible idea.

People spend months to years working certain skills while saving items to work other skills they could later work after a reset to relocate pickpoints or save enough hydro bars to get the required nexuses.

The only part of this idea that I do like is to have clothing items wear out after time so people would purchase more from others that work the tailoring skill.

AFAIK there is no NPC that purchases made tailoring items that could help them gain gc back "lost" from making the items and people have storage slots FULL of em.

But I would hate to save up hydro bars for like 2 years only to have to recollect a certain % of at a later date because they rusted or disappeared.

No thanks on this.

i like the idea :D

would be impossible to introduce it during the beta stage of the game, but a good thing to start with in the final release :)

Bad idea.

If you want realism, then why doesn't excavator cape break every cavern collapse? I don't think anyone would like that.

Edited by hussam

People spend enormous amounts of time harvesting massive numbers of items for big projects. If I harvested 100k of something, then 100k of another thing, then 100k of one more item only to find I now had only 80k of the first thing in sto, I'd quit.

Too many people can't find the time to play as much as they would like because real life won't allow them to, i think many people would quit.

If I remember correctly it is impossible to track items age, right now. The current game system does not allow for it.

Aside this, I would like to see something like it in this (or any other game).

Begging for people to quit at this point is hardly a Good Thing for a game that's in need of more players as it is.

This would be impossible to implement anyway without tracking every single individual item, a full change of the storage (gotta differentiate 20-40-60-etc% degraded items from freshly harved ones).

Something tells me tracking every single individual piece of every harvestable and whatnot isn't exactly the best usage of server load.

If I remember correctly it is impossible to track items age, right now. The current game system does not allow for it.

As I understand the original poster, the degradation over time works more or less like item breakage during mixing, except that the chance is over time, and not for each use.

This means we still don't need to track individual items, but can have items disappear from store with a x% change per min/h/day (say 1% chance per day for food => at the start of every (game) day, 1% of your food (on average) disappears.

On the other, there are techniques to protect most items from degradation, so a good storage keeper would not allow items in his care to degrade; so no degradation (unless we assume our storage keepers don't know their job :D ) (and a lot of those techniques were known in medieval times, and used, since weapons and armour were very expensive)

Hmmmmm wouldnt it be better to think of idea's that make the game FUN , like games are supposed to be. Rather than idea's that will just end up annoying people and making things even less fun than they already are ??

have to agree with conavar here. Some people enjoy stocking up large quantities over a period of time and then mixing it all away. Besides, how gutted would you be, if you were a non daily player (yes, they do exist), and find yourself with over half your storage gone into a mouldy patch every time you get a chance to log on?

And again.. why do people seem to want realism in a fantasy game?

i don't like this idea there is to much penalty's already no need to make this game even more harder !!!! stuff braking etc is already more then enough !! good you haven't said that items can go rusty and brake even more faster if you walk on rain with it haha..

what do you want that people go on vacation come back and all items are rotten, rusty etc ? lmao are you trying to murder EL ? come up with something fun and useful kk thx

Edited by exe666

This would require every flower, ore, sword...every single object thats placed into storage to have a 'date code'...yikes! I can see everyone sitting around sto removing items from and back into sto just to reset a 'date code' or refresh its 'shelf life'.

It's already painful to gather, make and carry and stow stuff and I have to agree with others this would be a very demotivating addition to the game I think Piper.

As I understand the original poster, the degradation over time works more or less like item breakage during mixing, except that the chance is over time, and not for each use.

This means we still don't need to track individual items, but can have items disappear from store with a x% change per min/h/day (say 1% chance per day for food => at the start of every (game) day, 1% of your food (on average) disappears.

Your suggestion means that your hard-earnt ice dragon armour may disappear the second you put it into your storage.

The only logical solution is to track every single item that MIGHT rot.

blah. i personally dont like any bit of this idea. i like to keep track of the stuff in my storage. if i wake up one day and cant seem to find my fancy Red Tunic..i'll probally go crazy. it bad enough that items do degrade (& worst! break.), we also have Acid Rain Day (not one of my favorite days ). So no point in making the game un-enjoyable. Sure kool. this new idea makes the game more "realistic"...but this is a Fantasy game, is it not? :P

If this gets implemented, I'm going to brod you. There's no way I would EVER put my nmt back in storage, and quite frankly, I don't like my shit being destroyed ok.

If this gets implemented, I'm going to brod you. There's no way I would EVER put my nmt back in storage, and quite frankly, I don't like my shit being destroyed ok.

Why dont you like it?

If more stuff leaves the game, more stuff must be replaced, so thats good for the economy.

So you could pick more flowers, harvest more ore and make more new stuff and sell it to players to make money.

And i never said, that your NMT should disappear from storage.

Some items should disappear faster, like ingredients, others not, like final products, others at a very low rate or never, like NMT's.

But you realistically cant be true that you expect to harvest 100k of flowers and put them into storage and still expect them to be there after months IMO.

Just do the dead herring experiment. Put one in your room and wait six months and then tell me what you think about rotten items :P

Piper

If more stuff leaves the game, more stuff must be replaced, so thats good for the economy.

Piper

To much talk about "the economy this,the economy that", the only currency worth anything in any MMO is : Enjoyment.

Can have the best economy online,but if the games becomes to much of a pain to play ppl wont..

People need to stop worrying about the economy or making things more realistic and concentrate on idea's to make the game more enjoyable, not idea's that will make it less so

Why dont you like it?

So you could pick more flowers, harvest more ore and make more new stuff and sell it to players to make money.

And i never said, that your NMT should disappear from storage.

Some items should disappear faster, like ingredients, others not, like final products, others at a very low rate or never, like NMT's.

But you realistically cant be true that you expect to harvest 100k of flowers and put them into storage and still expect them to be there after months IMO.

Just do the dead herring experiment. Put one in your room and wait six months and then tell me what you think about rotten items :P

Piper

blah. this isnt real-life..this is EL (a fantasy based online MMORPG GAME) ; i agree with Conavar. u want to make the game less enjoyable?? and btw if this was to happen...will our GCs be rotting too? since we all know that currency has to be made out of some kind of material (since u want it to be realistic??) :icon4:

hmm more realistic would that also mean chars would age, become more feeble as they get older and then go poof too ?To spend ages harvesting only to have to do it again, sorry but much as I love EL I know I wouldnt bother playing if this was implemented.it would be Way too frustrating for me

Piper

To much talk about "the economy this,the economy that", the only currency worth anything in any MMO is : Enjoyment.

Can have the best economy online,but if the games becomes to much of a pain to play ppl wont..

People need to stop worrying about the economy or making things more realistic and concentrate on idea's to make the game more enjoyable, not idea's that will make it less so

totally agree with conavar , enjoyment, plain and simple enjoyment ( no catches , no % chance to fuck you up , no one time use only , no must collect 500k of X amount to get 1 item ) is whats needed , not more things that make you say FFS