Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Adhikari

Improvement to quest info

With the inclusion of two new (great) quests and the serious discussion of adding many more (yay) I thought the in game information around quests will need some improvement. I have two suggestions:

1. After joining PAL (love them all :P ) I was asked "what EL quest have you done ?". Well I couldn't remember. So How about having a command similar to the perk or knowledge commands that list this information. it could go one of two ways:

A. #quests_complete - this could list the quests that have been complete, letting people know that they have finished quests.

or

B. #list_quests - this would list all the quests in game with completed quests highlighted. I think this might encourage people to do more quests and help the noobs to try them too.

2. I also think the quest log needs improving. I found it confusing and when your doing more than one quest at the same time it can be very hard to find what you need to know. I was thinking it could be set out more like the encyclopedia. When you talk to quest start NPC it creates a new 'folder' which logs everything thats said to do with that quest. This will make it clearer and may keep some people in the game when they first start. This might take some programming, but I'm sure its doable by you guys :)

Edited by Adhikari

With the inclusion of two new (great) quests and the serious discussion of adding many more (yay) I thought the in game information around quests will need some improvement. I have two suggestions:

1. After joining PAL (love them all :P ) I was asked "what EL quest have you done ?". Well I couldn't remember. So How about having a command similar to the perk or knowledge commands that list this information. it could go one of two ways:

A. #quests_complete - this could list the quests that have been complete, letting people know that they have finished quests.

or

B. #list_quests - this would list all the quests in game with completed quests highlighted. I think this might encourage people to do more quests and help the noobs to try them too.

2. I also think the quest log needs improving. I found it confusing and when your doing more than one quest at the same time it can be very hard to find what you need to know. I was thinking it could be set out more like the encyclopedia. When you talk to quest start NPC it creates a new 'folder' which logs everything thats said to do with that quest. This will make it clearer and may keep some people in the game when they first start. This might take some programming, but I'm sure its doable by you guys :)

I'm against being able to list what quests are available. That should be a discovery and user supplied information. That's part of the MMO aspect.

or

2. I also think the quest log needs improving. I found it confusing and when your doing more than one quest at the same time it can be very hard to find what you need to know. I was thinking it could be set out more like the encyclopedia. When you talk to quest start NPC it creates a new 'folder' which logs everything thats said to do with that quest. This will make it clearer and may keep some people in the game when they first start. This might take some programming, but I'm sure its doable by you guys :P

I'm against being able to list what quests are available. That should be a discovery and user supplied information. That's part of the MMO aspect.

A list of quest wouldn't be that bad itself. It just takes a bit of thinking on the way of doing it without revealing too many details (e.g. give quests some titles, even if vague ones). Both of the suggestions in Adhikari's post requires some quests IDs, either way. We have Tutorial Quest, Past Quest (just wondering, how many people DO know where this quest starts), Wine Quest, etc. Give all other quests titles in a similar manner and you have the required IDs.

The quest log has been discussed countless times so far and nothing changed. :shrugs: I guess it isn't THAT easy to do.

Edited by Natsume

Been suggested a bunch of times (both) anyway :P

It doesn't really change the fact it would be a great addition to the game. Especially, when you think about the new quest being added recently and more coming.

I could live without the list of all available quests, it's just a cherry on the top. The well-organised quest log is a must be in every single RPG (not only MMO).

I was just thinking today a way to see what quests you've completed would be reeaaallly nice. And the quest log could certainly use some work, it often stores useless information, and leaves out some of the details that would help, while it also isn't wonderfully userfriendly. Not to mention that non-NPC quest related info isn't stored in quest log, only chat logs, and its annoying to have to check 2 places for info. :(

Despite the fact these things have been suggested before I do think they should be reconsidered in light of the addition of some new quests.

I'm pretty sure it's not a matter of reconsidering it.

A search should pull up why it's not been changed drastically already in spite of countless requests for improvement and lists of it's flaws. It is a lot of work, other things would have to be changed and rewritten to do this, and last I knew, it wasn't high on the priority list considering the major headache "fixing" it would be.

I'm pretty sure it's not a matter of reconsidering it.

A search should pull up why it's not been changed drastically already in spite of countless requests for improvement and lists of it's flaws. It is a lot of work, other things would have to be changed and rewritten to do this, and last I knew, it wasn't high on the priority list considering the major headache "fixing" it would be.

If I remember correctly the issue is hidden in the way quests are implemented.

I think it MIGHT be solved (ad hoc solution) if the Quest Team rearranges Quest Log entries a bit, e.g.

<Quest ID>: Tutorial Quest
<Stage ID>: Scouting Tutorial
<NPC Text>: <put all the text here>
<List of objective> Objectives:
a. Find tavern on Isla Prima and click on the counter there,
b. Find tavern in Lakeside Village and click on the counter there,
etc.

In case of multiple objectives per one quest stage, it would be great if the shorter version of the block would be dumped to the Quest Log after fulfilling each of objectives:

<Quest ID>:
<Stage ID>:
<List of objectives> Objectives:
a. Find tavern on Isla Prima and click on the counter - finished,
b. Find tavern in Lakeside Village and click on the counter,
etc.

Of course, possible only with linear quests.

A disadvantage of this solution is adding much more work for the Quest Team members. I think it would be worth it, though. More people might join quest hunts, which is, hopefully, something quest writers work for.

I think I mentioned somehwer ebefore that I am also thinking of making an NPC (or perhaps a command) to tell you which quests you did and which quests are avaialble (but not all).

I think I mentioned somehwer ebefore that I am also thinking of making an NPC (or perhaps a command) to tell you which quests you did and which quests are avaialble (but not all).

Halleluja, would be handy.. Why not make a GUI-tabb with the info next to quest log, thinking about how Archlord/WoW/RuneScape has it.

not bad idea :-)

I'm adding my vote for atleast some way of listing the quests that you have completed. I took almost a year off from EL and can't remember which quests I have done. Its making it difficult to decide if I have missed a key somewhere to trigger the quest, or if I've finished it.

Some quests don't have clear "you've already done this" types of messages. The Tutorial NPC and Granny Lorpak do. So do the Wine, Leather and Dream quests. However, the Past quest and Reca quest do not. Something to think about.

Greydesk