Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
korrode

Remove accuracy and evasion potions

I suggest removing accuracy and evasion potions from the game, to reduce the cost of top level competitive combat.

I disagree. :D

I still make/sell some of them and don't forget that many higher

potters had to invest a big amount of money for the Book of Accuracy.

In my case 30k.

Perhaps I will never reach the break even point for that investment,

but since TS-Pot making for profit already got a real pain since last update,

I don't want to lose another source of income in that skill.

Thank you, Raistlin

I Disagree, If they are removed, then not only the potioning skill will be affected but also the drops from certain training monsters will be a lot less beneficial. :D

If these potions are removed, it is also most likely that people may react in a negative way which may reflect on pk.

I personally think that the removal of these potions will not make too much of a difference on the budgets of the "top levels" as they earn well just from training, and so i feel that their removal is unnecessary, i would be sad to see these pots go. :)

Edited by diego 69

Care to explain how having the potions raises the costs? You aren't required to use the potions!

I suggest removing accuracy and evasion potions from the game, to reduce the cost of top level competitive combat.

These potions have uses other than "Korrode's Personal PK Potions". As Learner mentioned, if you don't want to use these potions, don't use them. Taking these potions away from a weaker player who wants to e.g. team up with some friends to take down a Giant seems rather unfair.

Trying to eliminate these potions entirely, for everyone in EL, simply because they do not meet your current scheme of "one hour of raising gc, one hour of PK" per day is rather short-sighted and self-centered, imho.

Care to explain how having the potions raises the costs? You aren't required to use the potions!

My guess is it's similar to the armor-wars we see. If one person uses something that gives them a competitive edge, then everyone feels they need to use them or be at a disadvantage.

Let's remove any pots that don't help summoners and rangers too.!!!!!!!!!! And engineers. And crafters. And anything that doesn't help folks who pk 24 hrs a day on EL.

Edited by popeye

Let's remove any pots that don't help summoners and rangers too.!!!!!!!!!! And engineers. And crafters. And anything that doesn't help folks who pk 24 hrs a day on EL.

If they dont help, why are they there in the first place? Then i guess that whould stop some potioning on that skill, so i whould not potion for my Pk Pots - use them all the time, so pots are for one thing another is for another.

-Cathuga

If i want to be competitive i am required to use them.

@everyone else disagreeing with non-PK related reasoning.

Hopefully Radu can give us some stats on how many acc & eva pots are sunk in PvP and how many in PvE, and we can see how smaller minortiy it is this time that fucks it up for everyone else.

by removing these potions you remove any chance for a lower level player to boost up and survive more than 1 hit.

by removing these potions you remove any chance for a lower level player to boost up and survive more than 1 hit.

lol... seriously, just "lol".

@Korrode:

These potions have uses other than "Korrode's Personal PK Potions". As Learner mentioned, if you don't want to use these potions, don't use them. Taking these potions away from a weaker player who wants to e.g. team up with some friends to take down a Giant seems rather unfair.

Trying to eliminate these potions entirely, for everyone in EL, simply because they do not meet your current scheme of "one hour of raising gc, one hour of PK" per day is rather short-sighted and self-centered, imho.

Way to skip posts /o\

@Korrode:

Way to skip posts /o\

Well i replied to the PvE related part of gnny's post, as for the comment about my 'current scheme'... it's not my current anything.

I've been in some way or another trying to get the cost of competitive PvP combat down (or the profit for PK'er-fighters up; i.e. same effect) for a very long time.

...and "scheme" often denotes deviousness, secrecy or ill-intent (and i believe this was the intended usage)... none of which is appropriate to describe my attempts to get the game changed or what i'd like to see achieved... so why would i reply to trolling?

EL can very easily be made a much better game for PvP oriented people, hopefully attracting more players (and ones willing to spend RL$) without having any detrimental effects on current non-PvP oriented EL players. If anyone's "scheming", it's the people against making PK cheaper.

Edited by Korrode

I agree with Korrode that if everyone else has them, you need them to stay up.

However, I hear the fact that removing them just for PK purpose is not going to work and therefore, we are stuck with another set of "Need to compete items that you have to have just to hang in there :/

I agree with Korrode that if everyone else has them, you need them to stay up.

However, I hear the fact that removing them just for PK purpose is not going to work and therefore, we are stuck with another set of "Need to compete items that you have to have just to hang in there :/

Maybe Envasion and accuracy pots could have a longer cooldown, say 1 minuite, so they are only used stratigicly, instead of needing to constantly drink as they wear off

idk how many ppl buy acc/evac pots from npc, i remember it was kinda hard buying cause of anti perk

and as a potioner i never did mix many due to the ings that are needed

on the other hand those potions are common drops from fluffies so a/d trainers

that sell them can get a little profit from it.

Removing them won't increase the cost of a/d training at levels 85-110s ?

The cost of acc/eva pots in the overall scheme of PK is tiny( if ppl can run around in X00K gc amount of gear then a 100 gc pot (iirc) is miniscule imo),

and why only acc/eva ? why not remove all "extra cost" PK related potions ? att/def/reas/ etc etc etc

A much better solution if any was need would be to change the acc/eva ings.. so more potters spent the time making them and hence reducing the cost

Imo:

Basic Atributes Potion : Phys , Coord , Reason , Will , Inst , Vit - Yes in El !

Evasion and Accuracy of Potion - Definitely NO in EL !

Eva and Acc should be removed!

The cost of acc/eva pots in the overall scheme of PK is tiny( if ppl can run around in X00K gc amount of gear then a 100 gc pot (iirc) is miniscule imo),

and why only acc/eva ? why not remove all "extra cost" PK related potions ? att/def/reas/ etc etc etc

Mainly because the cooldown on the other potions; importantly that any one of the attrib/skill boost potions causes all the others to goto cooldown, both;

• keeps the cost down; you physically cant shred through them as quickly
  • brings reward for tactics during PK fights; You have to watch the fight carefully and consider on-the-fly which potion will be best to next use.

(It's paramount that the use of good tactics retains good reward in PK, just needs a system that doesn't incur huge cost)

I think removing them is the best option, but if that's not going to happen, but maybe adding cooldown will, it would be important that acc and eva potions cooldown affects each other, but NOT the other boost potions (all the skill/attrib ones), as due to the nature of acc/eva potions giving a +10 to acc/def(eva), an effect more noticable than any other potion, and that the effect suddenly disappears when the potion wears off (as opposed to 1 stat reduction towards normal per minute), if they cooldown the other boost potions as well, they will become the only potion used, rendering all the others pointless.

(EDIT: that last paragraph is a bit grey area i cant deny. The fact the other potions dont wear off as quickly, and reduce effect over 5 mins, may well make them still useful even if acc/eva pots are included in their cooldown group)

As for people already using very expensive equipment; that needs to be addressed also. Gear cost being high doesn't mean reducing consumables cost shouldn't be done.

"Aspect A is already expensive so why even bother trying to address that Aspect B is expensive" ...is a horrible mentality :pickaxe:

In regards to consumable expected/guaranteed PK cost, acc/eva pots make up a decent portion. I'm not even saying they make up most of the consumable cost, just a fairly decent chunk of it, and since they dont require anything more than 2 brain cells to know when and if to use them, they're by far the easiest to get rid of without screwing up any balance.

A much better solution if any was need would be to change the acc/eva ings.. so more potters spent the time making them and hence reducing the cost

I disagree. Potions that have no cooldown and a brief effect time limit like acc/eva are, frankly, stupid.

There's basically no tactics/strategy when using them, they're just an item that you gotta burn to be competitive, and since all the other competitive PK'ers are sinking them too, the outcome of those fights is largely unaffected.

All potions like this do is increase the cost of PK for those who want to be competitive, and prevent some who do PK from being as competitive as they'd like to be.

Seriously people, stop thinking inside the pre-conceived EL box. I recently explained how the boost potions in EL work to someone who has very little experience in EL, but is a long time gamer, saying how the attrib/skill potions have cooldown and cool each other down, and how the acc and eva pots give a big boost but have no cooldown of any kind, and he just lol'd.

Edited by Korrode

[*]keeps the cost down; you physically cant shred through them as quickly

I disagree :pickaxe: the main reason being, yes they have a cooldown (but its not that long) but they also stack(with a low emu), where as acc/eva pots dont. So you can carry and burn through alot more attribute boosting potions during a prolonged PK fight than you can acc/eva.

Also IMO since they dont stack it does add a touch of strategy as to when to use your limited amount (I normally only used to have room for 5 of each acc/eva), if you just spam use them, you can pretty soon run out and find yourself bolloxed to someone who has used theirs with thought.

Note: This is based on removing them for the sake of PK cost, now if you want to remove/change them for game/PK balance then thats a differant point, but that wasnt the point of the OP

Firstly, a kind of disclaimer, I have taken some breaks from the game and my recent appearances might not be enough to understand the current situation.

But from what I understand, Entropy likes the idea that items would be very important in PK, maybe even more important than levels unless the difference is extremely high. Correct me if I'm wrong on this of course.

Obviously, in this scenario you either need to use very expensive items, or lose to others who use those items. The obvious downside is that cost of PK becomes unbearably high, and as a result PK is unpopular. In this case the game would need more attractions to PK, like the hydrogen system was a step in this direction.

By the way, I think the game needs more PK spots that give benefit in any case, unless we want the game to be mostly peaceful (which might appeal to some people though :pickaxe:). For instance, I have seen an idea about depletable resources, so resources in PK could be not depletable etc.

So back to the topic of the PK cost, it is not necessarily a bad thing. The possible advantages are that theoretically more people can PK, if they are rich from other skills, $hop, or they can manufacture good gear themselves, they can enter PK and be competitive with A/D only at moderate levels. Same for the accuracy and evasion, potioners who can make lots of these and drink them all of the time, can be more competitive. Well, at least in theory :pickaxe:

Personally I prefer the system where levels/attributes/strategy would matter most. If we go in this direction, I think crowns of life/mana should be removed, since they make a player many times stronger, so they are almost a must in PK, while being not that cheap. So everyone must use a rostogol stone to protect them (and other even more expensive stuff), and everyone is afraid to die. Of course players can go to no-drop PK maps (even KF is now), but then you don't gain any material benefit from killing. Sure, some people fight for honour, points or just fun, but any kind of material benefit from PK would attract much more fighters I think. Because now it is very expensive fun.

So, since I don't like where the game is heading, I play very rarely. But I'm not claiming that it's becoming shit, it just takes the direction that is not my favourite.