Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Depletable resources and multiplaying

I think this idea is worth trying. The mini events have nearly driven me crazy. Would it be possible to couple this idea with a nod to PK, e.g. making the resources in a PK map more plentiful or not depletable? Similar to some of the better spawns in EL, there is a benefit, but also a risk associated with the benefit.

That is what i would hate if happened - why still force everyone to fighting, if they do not want it? There is PK server, where you can kill others and have alts but the main is much more populated ... I know, that fighters would like more fighting, but not all ppl are fighters at all and i did like EL because i could live here WITHOUT fighting at all.

I think this idea is worth trying. The mini events have nearly driven me crazy. Would it be possible to couple this idea with a nod to PK, e.g. making the resources in a PK map more plentiful or not depletable? Similar to some of the better spawns in EL, there is a benefit, but also a risk associated with the benefit.

That is what i would hate if happened - why still force everyone to fighting, if they do not want it? There is PK server, where you can kill others and have alts but the main is much more populated ... I know, that fighters would like more fighting, but not all ppl are fighters at all and i did like EL because i could live here WITHOUT fighting at all.

No one would be forced to do anything. The other non-pk resources would be as described, but there would be an advantage if you decided to go harvest on a pk map. Instead of just a downside, there would also be an upside to harvesting there.

Edited by Ozmondius

Have no Idea if this would be possible but it would seem to solve many of the problems if it were.

What if there were a max amount of harvesting at any one spot set to an IP address instead to the whole game? It would completely wipe out alts used to harvest and large group parties could still harvest without stealing others Harvestables. Would also solve the family problem because they could still all play they would just have to do different things at any given time which shouldn't really be a problem. This way there could be no 'serping' of harvestables that could be complained about. The respawn time could also be set for longer to encourage players to work on more than one skill and also to encourage trading.

(If IP limit not possible then player limit?)

just my thoughts :confused:

I think depletable resources sounds like an awesome idea.

I think Multiplaying is still a bad one.

One thing I'd like to say to those posting/reading... I've heard soooo many people already say "Anything to get rid of mini-events" please don't look at it in that context. Look at it as something separate, you shouldn't make your decision on whether or not you like the idea based on the simple fact it would rid you of the dreaded mini harv events.

That said...

I think multiplaying would still produce benefits for harvesting alts even with depletable resources. I've seen this in other games, and the system is great if made correctly, and resources aren't all taken up too fast (generally) however people would still be able to camp alts at far off places, grab quick from close places while they can, and generally still be able to harvest on a lot of alts and pull in a lot of resources.

Besides that, harvesting is not the only benefit of multiplaying:

Multiple perks would need to be re-evaluated in context with being able to have an alt.

Though EL is technically "classless" we are still limited by Pick Points and what skills we want to focus on the most. With alts people can not only harvest resources, they can mix those resources, they can dedicate alts to skills they never had the PP to spare to invest in nexus for. High level items would doubtless still only be provided by main hard leveled characters, for the most part. But low level resources could be mass produced by alts, HEs, SRs, training leathers, etc.

I believe selling resources to NPCs would also need to be reevaluated if multpiplaying was allowed.

Overall, I think depletable resources sounds like a fun and awesome idea, that could be a great addition the game provided its implemented with care and adjusted as possible concerns arise. Regardless of multiplaying decisions I think depletable resources should be implemented.

But I believe multiplaying is an issue that demands separation... depletable resources might hinder, but certainly would not stop, harvest alts. In fact, I think they'd do less damage to a harvest alt than mini events do. Walking across the map requires no attention whatsoever, just takes a little more time. But any sort of profit will always be > none. Not to mention the multiplaying benefits limiting resources does NOT address, some of which I mentioned above, and I'm quite certain others exist.

Yes to depletable resources

No to multiplaying

:confused:

Have no Idea if this would be possible but it would seem to solve many of the problems if it were.

What if there were a max amount of harvesting at any one spot set to an IP address instead to the whole game? It would completely wipe out alts used to harvest and large group parties could still harvest without stealing others Harvestables. Would also solve the family problem because they could still all play they would just have to do different things at any given time which shouldn't really be a problem. This way there could be no 'serping' of harvestables that could be complained about. The respawn time could also be set for longer to encourage players to work on more than one skill and also to encourage trading.

(If IP limit not possible then player limit?)

just my thoughts :confused:

Sounds interesting ;)

(but alts could be used to much more thinks, than only harvest)

I have my "way of playing" for some time now, but it's what i like,

otherwise i wont do it (and i speak only for the game part). And its

an important part, im sure not only for me.

But i think "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few..."

isnt right here, never was here (and yes, thats a quote..)

Changing the gameplay as it is now, will lead to some people saying "i quit" and some saying "finally..yes"

For me, i wont be a person who will say: i quit because of that decision.

I will for personal reasons, but thats not important now...

My question is: why is it now "only" the harvesting you mentioned as a major problem, regarding the problems

that may come with "legal multiplaying",which was discussed before?!

Any other actions between the alts will be still restricted?

I would suggest to make it not that complicated/tricky. A simple suggestion:

o Lets say, there are 100 spots, where you can harvest sun flowers.

o create 20 resources of sun flowers with, lets say, 500 flowers. The server chooses 20 of the 100 spots, where sunflowers are in game. There you can harvest up to 500 sunflowers.

o When a resource runs out (one of the 20 choosen spots by the server), the server chooses a new spot from the 100 spots in game and there you can harvest another load of 500 sun flowers.

So you can control the amount of available sun flowers by in/decreasing the amout of resources (20) in game and how much flowers you can get from every resource (500).

That might be much easier than a system which cares about how far away from a storage a resource is.

That's a good idea, because in theory you still have infinite resources, so no fine tunning is needed, but in practice you must work harder for them.

Im sorry to tell, but this multiplaying allow its just becauce we dont see much new players ever.

and this is a way to keep our current players playng with "no restrictions" on a/d training.

Control the harvest is one issue, but the a/d (pvp training)?

What can be done about this?

If multiplay were allowed, the multi training is allowed also...

No one would be forced to do anything. The other non-pk resources would be as described, but there would be an advantage if you decided to go harvest on a pk map. Instead of just a downside, there would also be an upside to harvesting there.

If i read it correctly it is: for non-fighters are most important harvestables, so make them removable from safe maps (at least for part of time) while leav them where they could be slaughtered by killers and call it benefit. It would drive them where they can be killed if they want more ings for peacefull work, but let do not call it "forcing" as they can as well sit and do nothing at all (enjoying the game).

What about removing PK areas - it would get more use to many maps :confused: (and killers still could enjoy PK server and instancies)

Im sorry to tell, but this multiplaying allow its just becauce we dont see much new players ever.

and this is a way to keep our current players playng with "no restrictions" on a/d training.

Control the harvest is one issue, but the a/d (pvp training)?

What can be done about this?

If multiplay were allowed, the multi training is allowed also...

You should get some sleep.

cant say im thrilled with this, depletable resources ok its a nice idea but the alts i dont think is cause people will make like 4 alts and go to 1 resource say silver ore in mm and deplete it then move onto another then another an just hog it all and sell off for insane prices but well wait and see what happens when its added

Against it.

Yes, I am one of the AFK harvesters. The mini events have essentially made that impossible. Which is fine, since at least I am getting gold & exp in exchange. However, since I (unfortunately?) took the MM perk 3 years ago, it is next to impossible to "train" a/d. So, I harvest so that I can alch/manu/craft/etc. I do have an alt that rarely gets played, and never gets multiplayed.

However, the idea that I need to search out a resource which may-or-may-not be depleted once I get there seems like busy work. Where is the enjoyment in that? What about it makes the game more fun to play for people that are more interested in casual gaming and socializing? I mean, I enjoy helping out Mac users to get the client running and all, and I enjoy chatting with guildies, but depleting resources (as proposed) would severely limit my enthusiasm.

cant say im thrilled with this, depletable resources ok its a nice idea but the alts i dont think is cause people will make like 4 alts and go to 1 resource say silver ore in mm and deplete it then move onto another then another an just hog it all and sell off for insane prices but well wait and see what happens when its added

That is an issue, but we can make rules against camping at resources. Very easy to detect if players from the same IP do that, then I can make it so they can't harvest for a few hours.

At the moment, the idea seems like a great addition to the game. The depletable reasources would increase the demand for them which could make harvesting a bit more profitable. Instead of selling the majority of your harvests to NPCs they're more likely to be sold among players. As for the multiplaying being legal, it would be great for families to intearact with one another but would provide a chance for those who do multiplay or have multiple computers to multiplay to advance in the game far too rapidly.

Another thing to take into consideration is the crafters and manufacturers who depend on massive quantities of the resources to get by in the game. These players would not be able to gather the resources they need which would create an inflation on the prices of armors, rings, potions, and other things produced by said players. Which would make them unattainable for some.

For the most part, my favorite part of this is your plan for Isla Prima. The newer players would get a better start in the game financially because they would have access to the unlimited resources and would in turn be able to sell them to the higher level players who don't have that kind of access to resources. This could also create a lot of character spam because people will continue creating characters after one reaches the level of 15 to be able to havest the unlimited resources on Isla Prima.

My vote would be a yes to the depletable resources and a no to the multiplaying. If you weigh out the pros and cons of multiplaying the cons strongly outweigh the pros. As for the depletable resouces, I think it's worth a try. Perhaps it will stimulate the economy a little bit and it will be definitely cause more players to explore for resources.

A concern I have is about newer players, who for example only have 'safe' access to the sulfur and silver in Crystal Caverns now, who wouldn't be able to move to MM or C2 like more experienced players can, when their deposits run out. Has a solution for that been thought of?

I would suggest to make it not that complicated/tricky. A simple suggestion:

o Lets say, there are 100 spots, where you can harvest sun flowers.

o create 20 resources of sun flowers with, lets say, 500 flowers. The server chooses 20 of the 100 spots, where sunflowers are in game. There you can harvest up to 500 sunflowers.

o When a resource runs out (one of the 20 choosen spots by the server), the server chooses a new spot from the 100 spots in game and there you can harvest another load of 500 sun flowers.

So you can control the amount of available sun flowers by in/decreasing the amout of resources (20) in game and how much flowers you can get from every resource (500).

That might be much easier than a system which cares about how far away from a storage a resource is.

That's a good idea, because in theory you still have infinite resources, so no fine tunning is needed, but in practice you must work harder for them.

this adds some excitement for ppl who keep large bags in hyperspace in remote locations, because they cannot jump up and move to a new spot that has a harvestable item.

plus the whole idea of people going to remote locations for items is unfortunate for hyperspace baggers who run for items and leave bags unattended for minutes at a time. with more traffic in remote spots, it may be a better idea to haul to sto.

allowing multiplay will make it easier on EL mods, and allow families and friends to play and trade in their homes on same ip. its totally against whats right, but itll make it easier, because its so widely undetected anyways, and such a regular ongoing problem.

I vote yes. it'd be more fair.

ok, it'll be messy the time you guys set it right, but such a revolution is worth it to me.

still, i'd prefer secondary characters with handicap.

That is an issue, but we can make rules against camping at resources. Very easy to detect if players from the same IP do that, then I can make it so they can't harvest for a few hours.

Instead of having the counter on the resources, would it be possible to have them tied to the player ?

ie: player A has a hourly/daily harv limit at a certain spot, when that limit is reached they have to move, would stop ppl with multi alts depleting resources and also would negate problems with time zone differance

Well, it seems that most of the players agree at lest with the idea of the depleatable harvests. I think I'll just implement it, and then see how it works. If it works fine, we can see about the multiplaying too.

Instead of having the counter on the resources, would it be possible to have them tied to the player ?

ie: player A has a hourly/daily harv limit at a certain spot, when that limit is reached they have to move, would stop ppl with multi alts depleting resources and also would negate problems with time zone differance

Thanks for saying what i was trying to say in a more simple way ;) I blame it on the Vicodin :confused:

Depleting harvestables is good idea all round , will be interesting addition to gameplay

Multi Playing on the other hand, while there are obviously great reasons for it there are inevitably some things that would need attention, one I can think of would be the Anti Social perk

Wouldnt it need to be removed from game and the 10 extra PP taken away ? dunnoh how youd feel about giving peeps thier GC back on top

And yeh , people camping at resources with thier alts has allready been brought up , but same could be said for a/d spawns to , someone training at a fluff with 5 of thier alts in line restocking them so they could be on it 5x as long as usual , which in theory could be like 10 hours at a time ( with decent attr before reset I could stay on a fluff for 2 hours at least )

Multi Play could be good if its well thought out before its implemented , thumbs up on both ideas

I am opposed. Sure there is a level of realism that this brings in that there are no realistic infinite resources in our world. But this is Eternal lands. True, it is not "Infinite Lands", but that is beside the point.

I can see how some will like this:

. Fewer resources -> Less manufacture -> Higher prices

but I am not quite sure if that will actually occur.

For those of us who use most of our spare time trying to program bots or help out with the client, all we have time for is harvesting (some mods are in this situation too I hear). The mini-events made it less time. Having to hunt for a resource might reduce it further, unless we plant ourselves miles from a storage (along with all the other afk harvesters).

Edited by Drakos7

I have never posted on forum before, but I just wanted to voice my opinion on this subject. I am against the idea of both multi-playing and depleteable resources. Also, I do no feel that myself and marack can be classed as alts simply because we are from the same IP. We are husband and wife in real life and have developed our characters separately now for well over 3 years.

I have a full-time job and only have limited time in the evening and on weekends to use for playtime in EL. This I believe idea would put me at a disadvantage to those who do play 24/7 and have multiple chars, who would deplete any of the local vital resources I need for my trade. This would force me to areas where I would need an MM cloak or worse still...put me at risk from PKers who would most likely take what I had already mined. Also, if I understand correctly, when I find another area with those resources, I could get there and find it already depleted anyway. I can see there being alot of wasted time wandering around trying to find the resources that are not depleted. I believe that this would also inflate the prices of these resources I would then have to buy from those who do have the time and multiple characters to obtain them.

Further on the subject of depleteable resources....I am a crafter, and I go through large quantities of ingredients in pursuit of this endeavor. For instance, quartz is easy to use up quickly in making 2-3K empty vials, so if I can only mine 500 quartz, then this would definitely inhibit my ability to fill an order for this item. If I can't fill an order to replenish my cash, then I will definitely not have the $$ to purchase these I items at inflated prices that I would otherwise have obtained myself. With higher end items (ie. COL) the resources for the bars are already hard enough to obtain without them being depleted when you get there. :confused:

Just my concern and opinion....

Ashiana

Edited by Ashiana

i like the idea alot, as said it will make the game more interested cause you have to go out and look for resources, promoting exploration which is a good thing in a mmorpg.

other then that i wouldnt be limited in playing with family/friends anymore, i help friends with my alt alot, but when i do that means i have to watch out what i trade with them on my main.. and that sucks

would save Aislinn alot of time answering questions from me about illegal multi (is this ok to trade, is it ok if i do that for him or her.. etc.)

id say go for it, its a nice change and people can adapt

Enly mentioned the point about multiplaying and selling to NPC there..tbh am thinking there will be less selling stuff off simply because of people worrying their mains will hit a shortage at some point, so its likely that there will be less of a pile of GC sinks from NPC sales (EG: flower selling etc)...quite simply if someone has spare harvestables after all this comes into effect they're much more likely to get far better prices on market than from NPC sales.

Has the "possible" effects on less gc leaving the game via NPC sinks been considered on this idea?