Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Quimbly

pvp afk

It's neither a bug nor a feature. I only recently heard about this practice, and I am going to disallow it by not giving exp if one of the combatants is not online. Will probably happen at the next update.

It's neither a bug nor a feature. I only recently heard about this practice, and I am going to disallow it by not giving exp if one of the combatants is not online. Will probably happen at the next update.

How can you pvp if your not online? You mean AFK>?

No, I mean not online.

There's this bug that keeps you going if you grue or log while in combat. If your opponent flees and quickly reengages in combat it will keep you 'online' and gaining xp. It apparently takes quite a few seconds for your char to actually disappear from the game after you break the connection, this is also why logging off quickly when being attacked by a far stronger opponent / mob , hoping it will be gone from the area when you log back on will probably make you log back on with your char in the underworld nonetheless.

and interesting how it would work, if lets say 1 of PVPers goes for a smoke or for dinner :) no exp ? :P

Edit: Well Dilly is right :P but i dont think ppl PVP this way :)

Edited by Kornholio

No, I mean not online.

Please can someone explain this, as I really don't get it. :)

How can you be AFK but not online? and how could you possibly tell the difference, especially if the players set AFK to 0? In such cases, the client never knows that they are AFK, so I reckon the server has no way of knowing either.....

But hey, what does a newb know? :)

There's this bug that keeps you going if you grue or log while in combat. If your opponent flees and quickly reengages in combat it will keep you 'online' and gaining xp. It apparently takes quite a few seconds for your char to actually disappear from the game after you break the connection, this is also why logging off quickly when being attacked by a far stronger opponent / mob , hoping it will be gone from the area when you log back on will probably make you log back on with your char in the underworld nonetheless.

True, but this is still a confusing case, because from what you tell, you would have to grue out or log out while in combat. Which I doubt people do, because if your pvp partner needs a restock you know your character is gonna poof, or if he needs a bathroom break, or a smoke.

So unless you indeed grue or log off, ok, this works.

But if you have a pretty stable connection and you actually are capable of staying online a full night without ever grueing, this doesn't work anymore. Because both characters will be online. I think you need some other way to detect if people are there or not. Perhaps something like the current AFK timer, but one you can't adjust or reach as the player. And this timer could like go up to 5 minutes. But it restarts if the players does something ingame. If it reaches 5 minutes, it sends some message to the server and the player stops gaining exp.

You could, of course, easily bypass this by just putting up an autoclicker on like a huge crapload of fruit, but I guess you can just consider that to be macroing/cheating and if you detect it, it's a banable offense?

-Gohan

P.S.: Don't really know why I'm posting this or anything as I haven't played in ages, but just felt like replying on the whole thing, lol. All for a better gamez, ftw! ^.^

EP scroll up 3 posts :)

Thanks Dilly... I think I got that part though!

What I was trying to say has been explained better in Gohy's post above, although I still think my point that the server has no way of knowing if you're AFK if you set your time-out to 0 is still valid.

EP scroll up 3 posts :P

Thanks Dilly... I think I got that part though!

What I was trying to say has been explained better in Gohy's post above, although I still think my point that the server has no way of knowing if you're AFK if you set your time-out to 0 is still valid.

I did look around in the forum and i saw this.

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.p...c=31719&hl=

Look at Aislinn's #2 msg :)

looks like they can see when and what someone did, if the sec is way to high i gues the player is afk :):P

Edited by Lucky_Paladin

well i believe that it is possible to track if both PVPers are trying to flee or only 1 of them. so now i understand what Radu means... at least i think so :) the one who does not flee during some period of time counts as offline or AFK or w\e nad would not get tex EXP :)

well i believe that it is possible to track if both PVPers are trying to flee or only 1 of them. so now i understand what Radu means... at least i think so :P the one who does not flee during some period of time counts as offline or AFK or w\e nad would not get tex EXP :)

shhhh :)

well i believe that it is possible to track if both PVPers are trying to flee or only 1 of them. so now i understand what Radu means... at least i think so :P the one who does not flee during some period of time counts as offline or AFK or w\e nad would not get tex EXP :)

ah, ok....that makes sense... thanks. :)

It's not a bug, it was implented because some people just logged off in PK right before they saw an enemy.

A bug? WHAT THE FUCK?

A bug? WHAT THE FUCK?

just saying ur char doesn't log off when u actually log off and that there is maybe 1-2 seconds delay before server would log you off... And if you are in a fight, even if you grue your character will stay ingame 1-2 seconds after the flee, which is enough time to reattack you and keep training while you are "offline"

(but best is to keep the comp on if you wanna afk train :()

Edited by Michic0_oL

A bug? WHAT THE FUCK?

Excuse me for an apparently poor choice of words, it was the best (or only) thing i could come up with.

I read forums, but I'm no expert in all the changes that have been made to the game to prevent people from avoiding certain situation, or for whatever other reason they are made, let alone in coming up with the proper terms for each and every one of them. I´ll stfu -.-

Edited by Dilly

A bug? WHAT THE FUCK?

just saying ur char doesn't log off when u actually log off and that there is maybe 1-2 seconds delay before server would log you off... And if you are in a fight, even if you grue your character will stay ingame 1-2 seconds after the flee, which is enough time to reattack you and keep training while you are "offline"

(but best is to keep the comp on if you wanna afk train :()

Indeed, most people don't use this "trick" but just keep their char logged on while they are afk for work or sleeping or w/e.

Then vice versa happens when the other person gets back from afk. Some people gain millions of xp per day like this.

And yeah, the "flee bug" is easy to get around...doesn't cost anything either.

Edited by Ambrosius

whole game needs a character wipe IMO :(

*edit* i dont really mean it, but hey , would solve alot of problems , economy starts again, hoarding is reset , none of this crap about unfair a/d anymore , character buyers would be gone for at least 6 months - 1 year , could make the whole game PK like PK server so those peeps come back to , loads of good reasons

only bad one is how many people would actually keep playing and start anew ........ and dont suggest I volunteer myself as the first character wipe :P all or nothing :P

Edited by Ateh

whole game needs a character wipe IMO :P

*edit* i dont really mean it, but hey , would solve alot of problems , economy starts again, hoarding is reset , none of this crap about unfair a/d anymore , character buyers would be gone for at least 6 months - 1 year , could make the whole game PK like PK server so those peeps come back to , loads of good reasons

only bad one is how many people would actually keep playing and start anew ........ and dont suggest I volunteer myself as the first character wipe :) all or nothing :medieval:

If this were to happen I would leave and not return. the material items wouldn't bother me that much but the thought of having my stats wiped and starting over?? I speak only for myself

If this were to happen I would leave and not return. the material items wouldn't bother me that much but the thought of having my stats wiped and starting over?? I speak only for myself

A mass OA #reset and storage wipe would be too funny then :P