Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HereticEast

progressive taxation

what about using a progressive storage tax as a money sink? if this were possible it

would do several things.

1. discourage hoarding

2. reduce inflation

3. possibly reduce gc farming a bit. at least in volume as it would cost more to have huge stockpiles.

4. prices would drop

another part of this scheme would be to sell gc at the el store

and make store purchases tax deductable.

for you libertarians Adam Smith would have supported something like this

'It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.' Adam Smith

of course there are prob technical issues that may make this undoable

such as accounting etc. i don't know what those are but so far the idea

sounds good on paper. as much of the tax would be gained back through

inflation reduction.

hyperbag

hyperbag

many people would like to find a bag like that :icon13:

You could also use your bot for storing money. This must not be applied to bots, since they are business purpose and sometimes store huge amounts of money, so you could also bypass it this way...

yeah god forbid someone that buys rostos for 19k and sells them for 30k should get taxed.

Edited by HereticEast

hyperbag

Keys costs money and bags can be found by players. So its not a very good alternative.

I recently actually proposed something similar by proposing a max on the EMU in storage and if you wanted more you had to pay to have max EMU increased.

But people love to hoard and keep a lot in storage so it was shot down.

Ok, I understand the idea behind why this suggestion was created and applaud the attempt at finding a viable solution ..BUT...after 4+ years of playing I can honestly say if I thought I was gonna start losing items from my storage coz of all this I would suddenly find a new EL mission in life. To hunt down and destroy the bugger whose suggestion for it got it implemented. I am fairly confident in saying I would probably not be alone either.

Edit: since some constructive criticism is needed then: From the point of view of storyline developement, this idea rocks. Taxation by Lord Luxin would definitely be something the whitestone peons would chat about in their daily toils while farming gold etc etc..

Edited by Pyewacket

you'd get most of it back from rise in gc value. the wealthy have the most to gain from rise in gc

value because they have more of it. it's like you are paying a tax now anyway.

I posted an idea like this in an economy thread. No one commented on it at all. I think it's the best thing for the game. To fix the economy, but I guess the too many people would bitch about it. So teh god doesn't do it. ;)

you'd get most of it back from rise in gc value. the wealthy have the most to gain from rise in gc

value because they have more of it. it's like you are paying a tax now anyway.

The problem as I see it, or at least the first major biggy, is the fact that I do not have substantial and therefore taxable lump sums of gold coins sat in my storage, at least..not for very long. My gc is very often used rapidly. I have no problem with THAT being taxed. What I DO object to is the idea of items being suddenly NOT THERE anymore because it got taxed as an item of Equal Value to the Tax. How would it be actually possible for anyone to even do that, given the fluctuation of prices in a player driven market? Setting up an automated Tax programme to take an item worth 8kgc today, may suddenly run into trouble when that item is worth 5k or 15k tomorrow?

And how would it then be able to decide which items should be taken?

If you put your White Dragon Armour away so you can go Harvest on No fighting #day, then find your torso is "deducted"...would you not bitch?

I realise it's easy to point out that "oh but this is what you would have owed in taxable value" but actually when it happens its a whole different ballgame, because it'd happen to everyones storages...you couldnt plan in advance on anything coz the items you might be relying on for that might no longer be there for you..kinda means astro is a waste of space (at least as far as predictors are anything to go by).

Nahhhh I'd rather this one didnt make it off the ground, personally. No offence, you put some good thought into it, I just think it'd be too difficult to implement and even if it did get put in, it would then prove exceedingly detrimental to the game itself (not to mention the players).

i was just thinking tax the GC and maybe rare ings rostos etc (but not the ones bought from the el store.). not armor or any of that. yeah that would be too difficult. this would be one of the techincal things but stuff wouldn't disappear from your inventory except gc. it'd be best say if you ton of rare ings horded and not enough cash to cover it you get a bill and have a certain time to pay to NPC or whatever. but yeah hording armor or nmt capes doesn't cause inflation i don't think. items are mostly covered with break rates etc.

wait the penalty could be have your storage frozen until you pay the storage guy!

Edited by HereticEast

i was just thinking tax the GC and maybe rare ings rostos etc (but not the ones bought from the el store.).

How would you tell which serp stones, efe's, bindings etc have been bought from the shop ?

Would kinda suck tbh for a player saving up to buy an expensive item... saved up 300k for nmt one day, nxt day he checks its only 250k in sto.

How would you tell which serp stones, efe's, bindings etc have been bought from the shop ?

Would kinda suck tbh for a player saving up to buy an expensive item... saved up 300k for nmt one day, nxt day he checks its only 250k in sto.

ok you get a tax credit for purchases not the individual stones. so if you bought

rostos and sold them you get x credit.

plan to buy it before tax day. keep in mind the NMT could possibly be cheaper

tough call though.

But what if you wanted to pay the storage NPC with gc that you have in storage and your storage is frozen?

gc would be deducted from storage. if you had a bunch of rare ings and not enough to cover

then you have period of time to pay or sto get's locked and you have to serp trolls or

something to pay it.

Edited by HereticEast

The purpose of a tax is to collect money in order to use them elsewhere for a good cause. Don't see any good cause here.

Hiilarious that an author has been caught in his own snares:

(...) you have to serp trolls or something to pay it.

Ok, so you suggest to possibly to reduce gold farming by forcing people to farm even more gold, interesting.

The purpose of a tax is to collect money in order to use them elsewhere for a good cause. Don't see any good cause here.

it's a money sink... targeting large pools of cash. this is how you reduce

inflation. yeah everyone would have tons of rare ings not enough

gc to cover and have to go serp trolls specifically to bring in more gc...

not drops just gc.... you got me there! people would just go serp more

to have it taxed more. you've exposed the fatal flaw. they would

double their serping out put just so they could pay twice as much tax.

well it appears these troll serping rare ing horders without any money

just cannot be stopped! we are so f'ed.

Edited by HereticEast

The game is full of money sinks already. I bet you have nothing to target.

actually i'd have to go serp some trolls. i just paid 100k for Hos.

and have some rostos.