Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Adopt a newbie program

I remember doing this back in the day. I'd meet a newbie, give them a tour of White Stone, teach them how to map walk, give them some basic armor, and pay the 1100 gc to get them the increase and health sigils. Would take an hour out of my time, and most of them usually stuck ingame too.

SO TRUE. <---- really such a statement cannot be underlined, italized and bolded enough.

I often find the few people I spend a few minutes showing/PM'ing them where encyclopedia/training/harvesting spots(simple things) tend to stay much longer. The suggested idea is great, it isn't my style of helping (sitting on IP waiting for some helpless noob to come along) and I probably wouldn't be a mentor. I much prefer the informal "oh look there's a confused newbie, let me chat to him/her" , and my buddy list is full of examples of such people who still play today, it works. It's about attitude to new players too, which often isn't so friendly.

Edited by Frost

One thing ent and I discussed is having the two player names (newbie and mentor) announced to the mods when both players sign up at the bot. This way whoever is arround who is able to check the newbie out can do so and make sure it is a legitimate one.

@Frost: ehh I don't think spike is the best example to offer about people not being friendly to newbies.

One way to be helpful to newbies is to simply offer to buy some of their stuff - in newbie quantities.

I remember that feeling of accomplishment the first time I mixed 50 FEs. I then posted on market to try to sell them and nobody was interested - it just wasn't worth anybody's time. However, expecting some character with 40 emu to auction off 10k FEs (at a price that would be a net loss with their failure rates) is a bit harsh.

Likewise it took me a while to figure out that you could sell raw meat to people (though usually only bots at those levels) for far more than you could get by roasting it on a fire and selling to a tavern.

So, if you have a few minutes to kill and you're in a popular place like votd see if there are any newbies around trying to peddle their wares. Perhaps a newbie market channel might make sense to facilitate this (since the newbie channel isn't supposed to be used for ads).

Really nice idea. There already is a alot of players in game that help newbies, making official system with rewards for their work sounds fair.

One thing ent and I discussed is having the two player names (newbie and mentor) announced to the mods when both players sign up at the bot. This way whoever is arround who is able to check the newbie out can do so and make sure it is a legitimate one.

This doesn't sound too difficult, the bot could keep a list of mods it should pm (or could be tagged as a mod and send it to the mod channel, depending on how you wanted it.)

This doesn't sound too difficult, the bot could keep a list of mods it should pm (or could be tagged as a mod and send it to the mod channel, depending on how you wanted it.)
A bot operated by a player should definitely not be given mod status.

"I promise I won't read extremely private #MOD messages" isn't worth the paper it is printed on.

The bot sending a #help_me (or new similar command) on the other hand and handling Mod PMs would prevent that issue entirely.

Count on me, whenever I'm on I can help :P

I agree with these:

Or let the NPC give a list of registered 'mentor' maybe even divided into language rosters and/or skill rosters so the newby can for example decide to search a dutch mentor in the skill of alchemy. And then a list of names is given to him so the newby that want to learn will spam the mentor's instead of the mentors searching for a willing newb.

Potential mentors can register or remove themself from the list as wanted.

I think there should also be a rule that you can have no more then lets say 2 students at the same time. So the newbs will be helped more effectively.

I think the NPC assigning a mentor in an automatic way would be the best, that way people don't have to be on IP catching the newbies. For example the newbie can ask an NPC to give him a mentor, and the NPC can find available mentors on.

Also the not more than X (not sure about 2, 3, etc) students at the same time seems a good rule to me (it's quality what matters, not quantity).

Also if a newbie does not log in some time (for example, 2 weeks), the player should be assigned to another newbie. Also there is the time zone thing, for example I play around 7:30-11:00pm GMT -4:30 almost every night, so we need to have assigned newbies around that time zone.

Also the language is important, I can help people speaking in English and in Spanish :icon13:

My boyfriend finally created a character about a week or two ago, and I've been sitting at his shoulder going through the game with him. I had completely forgotten just how complex this game is. It seems like every time he says "I want to..." I have to then say "Well, first you need to read three books, buy the sigils, get the nexus, etc..." So, I think this is a great idea.

Sign me up! I'm ready to help.

Idea for radu:

Could rabbits, beavers, and rats have a few more rare drops like 1 BR, an iron sword, leather boots, etc?

I know it doesn't make sense for rabbits to carry leather armor, but if a fluffy can manage to fit those cloaks under his fur, I'm sure his cousin can work it out, too.

Edit PS: And I completely agree with Llywar! We should all be buying newb quantities and also letting new players know that those bones they leave everywhere are worth more than the meat they are selling in the tavern.

Edited by sywren

Let me clarify my post:

When I say "main" character, I mean the character you actually will be on. It can be your alt if you are on it regularly and the newbie will be able to reach you on it, and he won't get afk messages more often than not.

So if your "main" character just sits and harvests on the hour and you only check on it occasionally, and you are actively leveling and playng on your "alt", by all means sign up the alt.

The point is for the newbie to have somebody reliably on and active when he is and can help him right away. It's no good for the newbie to have to wait 50 minutes to get an answer to something, he'll log off.

I think its a great idea. I've try to help them, whenever I encounter them.

I have found giving them free items can be a challenge, they tend to run :icon13:

(I end up giving the freebies to Annatira)

I'm an all-rounder, so I can make their starting gear. I also buy animal related

stuffs, so I could help them with early finance. The only problem is, a person needs

to be patient to buy in quantities of say 50-100, while most expect 500-1k mins.

(Getting started with magic has to be the most difficult to explain)

The only downside I can see, I would only want to help real noobs, and not

get someones alt, all geared up. Thereby wasting 30-1hr of my time for their benefit.

Count me in.

The only thing i would suggest is that this be specifically addressed to new people when they enter the game. Can't tell you how many new players i've encountered who are scared to death of anyone who approaches them, thinking they are being targeted for killing or scamming.

Maybe a check box on the start up page, asking Yes or No, do you want a mentor? and explaining a bit about the program, how they will be contacted and what they can expect (not a free ride and unlimited free stoof, but a friendly helper who can offer advice.)

might be an idea to make an official mentors channel , and also add a new message to the newbie tips that come up on your screen when you first start :

'' If you would like some guidance from an in game mentor join channel 25 to speak with an established player ready to help''

or something like that ......... at least then its not like a new person is being hounded by ten eager mentors all looking to get that newbs name on the bot list for the chance of a prize for themself

tbh im up for doing this if there are prizes involved or not , I wouldnt exactly care for getting a prize myself and would probably give it to the person id been mentoring anyway

( unless it was a full black dragon set then hell im keeping it he will only PM in in two hours and say '' omfg aTeh I died at VOTD storage can you get my dragon armor back for me ?'' ) hehe

#edit will accept donuts as payment

Edited by Ateh

A channel like that was an idea, but Aislinn feels that people won't use it because you can only use 3 channels at the same time.

After reading the posts, i thought of an idea to make it newbie friendly, Orientation Island. new people could start there then after a skill reaches 20 they are "denoobed" to IP. only approved helpers would be allowed there.. on this island could be a storage, potion seller, magic shop, and other NPC's that just sells the basics with some tutorials to learn about using them. this would keep new people from exploring the first day, wander onto a pk map and get PK'd and quit or gargoyle beat them to death on WS at dark. much more to say on the subject but i'll leave that to others. i will be willing to help test this if needed.

After reading the posts, i thought of an idea to make it newbie friendly, Orientation Island. new people could start there then after a skill reaches 20 they are "denoobed" to IP. only approved helpers would be allowed there.. on this island could be a storage, potion seller, magic shop, and other NPC's that just sells the basics with some tutorials to learn about using them. this would keep new people from exploring the first day, wander onto a pk map and get PK'd and quit or gargoyle beat them to death on WS at dark. much more to say on the subject but i'll leave that to others. i will be willing to help test this if needed.

We used to have that, Newbie Island.

After a while, newbie helpers didn't want to go there anymore, so we got rid of it.

what about a good fairly comprehensive newb guide?

it took me forever to figure out about the boats etc.

I agree with that.

How about doing it as a FAQ with common questions from new players and explanations on how to do it ?

PS Somewhere one could write about the gargs on WS at nighttime.

How about doing it as a FAQ with common questions from new players and explanations on how to do it ?

CTRL-h -> Newbie FAQ, General FAQ, Skills FAQ

The problem is: People don't read >.<

Piper

Piper

Those are very generic and basically useless.

These FAQ dont answer questions like:

Where do I buy lether gloves ?

Where can I sell bones ?

Where can I sell furs ?

Where can I buy a sword ?

Where can I buy armor ?

How do I make fire essence ?

Where do I find sulphur ?

Where do I find red snapdragons ?

Where do I find roses ?

Ok so I am here - what do I do now ?

It goes on and on and the FAQ you point at don't help new players with the questions above.

After a while, newbie helpers didn't want to go there anymore, so we got rid of it.

Did this work when helpers did go to help??

on this island could be a storage, potion seller, magic shop, and other NPC's that just sells the basics with some tutorials to learn about using them.

or maybe put some of these things on ip.

I think the mentor idea is great, I had an unofficial one when I started playing and Im still here. Id be happy to mentor

Did this work when helpers did go to help??

Yes but there were some drawbacks. Players got antsy to get to the "real game", and even though you all are enthusiastic now, so were the helpers then. Interest and enthusiasm wanes, newbies need help at inopportune times when helpers are busy, always reasons why the support vanishes.

Personally I loved Newbie Island, I was sorry to see it go. I thought it was very helpful both as a newbie going through it, and seeing others go through it. One comment though, EL was a LOT smaller, there wasn't anywhere near as much to learn as there is now. But I would definitely support having it come back if Ent could be convinced. :P

Edit: After a chat with pip about old Newbie Island, we did think that newbies having the option to go straight into the game OR choose Newbie Island would be a good idea. Also they should have the option to change their mind after they chose if their choice doesn't work out for them so well after all.

Piper

Those are very generic and basically useless.

Where do I buy lether gloves ?

Where can I sell bones ?

Where can I sell furs ?

Where can I buy a sword ?

Where can I buy armor ?

How do I make fire essence ?

Where do I find sulphur ?

Where do I find red snapdragons ?

Where do I find roses ?

Ok so I am here - what do I do now ?

It goes on and on and the FAQ you point at don't help new players with the questions above.

Again, people don't read, you are the living proof for that :P

CTRL-h, then there is a tab named "Skills". Read the alchemy part and you know where you can get leather gloves, sulfur, red roses, snapdragons and how you make fire essences.

What else can you do than having instructions hidden behind a "?" icon? Obviously it is too hard to guess, that you can click on it and read the texts there.

Piper

Where do I buy lether gloves ?Answered in Eternal Lands Help Skills Alchemy

Where can I sell bones ?Should be added where it tells about the fur and meat(see your next example)

Where can I sell furs ? Answered in Eternal Lands Help Tips and Newbie FAQ

Where can I buy a sword ? Answered in Newbie FAQ

Where can I buy armor ?Answered in Newbie FAQ

How do I make fire essence ? Answered in Skill FAQ which directs you to Alchemy in the Enclopedia part

Where do I find sulphur ?Answered in the Skills Tab in the Help window under Alchemy

Where do I find red snapdragons ?same as sulphur

Where do I find roses ?same as sulphur and red snapdragons

Ok so I am here - what do I do now ? Answered in Newbie FAQ

I disagree. :P The Help window you get when you click on the ? icon has a wealth of information if you only choose to read it :)

(Bleh pip beat me to it but I can't emphasize enough that the information is there, you just have to read it!)