Eternal Lands Official Forums
asgnny

One character per person at a time

Reasonable means to slow down gc farmers and cut inflation, or too restrictive?  

181 members have voted

1. 1. In the interest of reducing inflation and slowing down the ebul gc farmers, should players be limited to one character per actual person at a time (note: NOT one character IP, but per actual person)?

• Yes, stop the gc farmers! I only need to use one character at a time. I understand that other actual people can still play here at the same time as me.
    • No, if I can't afk-harvest with all of my alts while playing with my main, EL life isn't worth living!

That will the make the problem worse IMO

Personally out of principle and wanting to support the game will only buy items from the shop, such as rosto's to sell for gc (it saves me ingame time so i can concentrate on doing what I enjoy)

Now if I couldnt sell those bought items then the only option would be to buy from GC sellers = less money for teh boss

yeah but rostos for use. it's 25 for 100 but what if you could buy 30-40 bound ones for 100.

for anyone that bought rostos to use this would be the deal no? possibly better to also

be able to buy gc at the shop too.

Edited by HereticEast

I dont read all comments because i dont have time but...

I think if people like to training char and later harving its their business.

For example i to get char with 800 emu - harver in tit cave I must train this char to 50 a/d maybe its not very problem but its waste of time i have friend who must do 80 a/d to get 960 emu. Somebody can say i can harving but in same time when i am playing on main char...Yes i can because in titanium cave i am going to NPC 2 times on 1 hour so its good when i am playing on 2 chars.

Anyway, just so that you know, I do not think that modifying the rules to have only 1 char at a time will solve the problem. There are only a few ways that would solve the problem:

1. Do what Obama does, and 'print' more money, and sell gold from the shop.

2. Wait for the market prices to adjust. As I was saying, if things go like this, all the rare items will double in price, so then it will be worth it buying from the shop.

3. Decrease the amount of money you can make from harvesting. For example, the harvester cape/perk to work only for mineral items, not for plants.

4. Find some other way for me to make money (IRL). That includes doing freelance work, or starting other unrelated projects. Of course, I won't have much time to work at EL then, so the updates will be pretty small and rare.

Anyway, just so that you know, I do not think that modifying the rules to have only 1 char at a time will solve the problem. There are only a few ways that would solve the problem:

LOL, yeah, squash those ebul gc farmers! and let our grandchildren pay for it later!

Rough idea so maybe shite :icon13:

Would making a new untradable currency help ?

Ie: If you sell anything to an NPC they pay you in copper coins, these coins would then be untradable between chars but NPC's would accept them as payment aswell as normal GC(so new players can still harv and buy items they might need )

note: If Radu wanted to be really evil he could replace all drops with copper coins and just sell GC from the EL shop (would really make antisocial a bad perk) :lipssealed:

IMO inflation is caused by lowering rates for certain resources like enriched essies and rostos for example so more ppl are forced to buy them from shop. Unfortunatelly supply of items bought from shop is not enough and relation USD to gc is causing these items to be expensive which in turn increases costs for production (like EFE cost) and training (rosto cost). Maybe little offtopic or maybe not. As for the voting - I abstain.

Well, until a while ago, if people wanted gold, they bought EFEs from the shop. So there were plenty of EFEs, and the price was relatively low.

Now people want to get 'deals', so they buy stuf from the gold farmers. We need to make some money too, so we have to decrease the EFE rate. Eventually, when the EFE will be around 16kgc, then people will buy back from us.

It takes little research on the net, to find out that saving time is the main stimulator for virtual to game currency conversion. With the introduction of requiring insane amounts of resources to create low value and relatively low experience items, you opened the door for gold farming. Decreasing drops and rare rates have as you now realize not been able to combat the inflation, yet it successfully took fun elements out of the game. This thread should really be about finding a new business model for EL and not about continuing on the same path and taking more fun elements out of the game.

Also, I can play my alts if I harv on my main then? Cause this is what I usually do, let my main fill up which can take as long as 30-40 minutes ( if I forget to eat :lipssealed: ), and level my alt.

Problem is, instead of buying from the shop and then selling those items to make gc, people are now buying directly from gc sellers.

As there is more gc being offered then there is bought, the gc sellers keep on offering better rates to get sales.

I've seen rates as high as 8k gc for 1 usd already. This used to be 4k for 1 usd.

This thread should really be about finding a new business model for EL and not about continuing on the same path and taking more fun elements out of the game.

Sure, p2p, 5 bucks a month. Does that make you happy?

Rough idea so maybe shite :icon13:

Would making a new untradable currency help ?

Ie: If you sell anything to an NPC they pay you in copper coins, these coins would then be untradable between chars but NPC's would accept them as payment aswell as normal GC(so new players can still harv and buy items they might need )

note: If Radu wanted to be really evil he could replace all drops with copper coins and just sell GC from the EL shop (would really make antisocial a bad perk) :lipssealed:

We already have platinum coins that have very little use. Those can be used instead of programming another currency.

But what about drop trades?

why do players need goldfarmers?

maybe because they have a shortage of gc, and maybe the fact that alot of people buy from those goldfarmers is that alot of people have a shortage of gc.

why is that?

moneysinks, things keep getting added which cost more and more gc, and it has to be paid for with ~23gc each ~30 seconds if you train on things up to feros

i myself train on yeti (the gc trees(?)) get 4k gc profit each 1:30 hour, which mostly goes to fixing or replacing broken armors needed for training, or rosto's.

after 4 years of being a a/d trainer and fighter i always have less then 100k gc in storage, once i go over that it needs to be spend on broken armors/weapons/He and Sr..

which a 4k each 1:30 hours doesnt cover, besides that you need to be incredibly lucky to be able to find a spawn.

so i end up buying gc from goldfarmers just to be able to play the game and have fun while only covering the basic needs of a trainer/fighter.

i read that the shop sells alot less cause of the goldfarmers, that would mean shop customers go to goldfarmers.. and if those goldfarmers go away they end up buying from shop again.

and inflation would still be a problem, cause the goldfarmers gave better rates, and the people who have to buy from shop instead then try to make up for that increasing the prices of stuff they buy from shop, other people will get greedy and will sell for the same price.

i started an alt some time ago to harvest on while im training on my main, for the purpose of harving for gc and giving it out to friends who get screwed by the high prices of pk and low gain from training aswell.

and the alt makes training on main alot less boring, for me it would be both at the same time, or play another game if im bored.

you can keep taking gc from players by adding goldsinks and not increasing gc drops, but what good is that? they will just sit on their gc saving it for a long time to be able to afford stuff, only spending gc on items they really really need, hence you get comments like "worthless item, waste of gc" comments when you add new items to the game (example: the phoenix discussion on channel 6 some time ago)

2. Wait for the market prices to adjust. As I was saying, if things go like this, all the rare items will double in price, so then it will be worth it buying from the shop.

3. Decrease the amount of money you can make from harvesting. For example, the harvester cape/perk to work only for mineral items, not for plants.

4. Find some other way for me to make money (IRL). That includes doing freelance work, or starting other unrelated projects. Of course, I won't have much time to work at EL then, so the updates will be pretty small and rare.

I would say, most of EL community

1) wants you to make a living

2) are a little frustrated with the increasing cost of rare items

3) Could live without flower shoppe buying flowers (coal and sulfur pay well and are much needed by players)

4) Dont want to see you and roja have to abandon this project to work for "the man"

5) Would be very open to new ideas to get people shopping at EL shop.. In my opinon, and my rl job deals with items, the EL shop could deal with more services. Alot of rare items, for example efe, are needed in very many items in game. however a play to pay race is a service, an extra that proived a small advantage, but can add up to a few dollars. I understand this doesnt address your needs, nor the players needs to keep in game economy stable, perhaps, guild maps should have a small yearly fee? I think there are ways to focus on services. I would say the biggest problem faced is the player base. Advertising can be expensive, and difficult, most long time players I know here, came here from word of mouth. a larger player base, would help greatly, not just number of charaters/alts, but number of individual people.

Of course there is always room with new items, to have enriched air essence or health essence added to game as a shop only item, and an npc can also regulate these prices by a buy cap.

To be honest, a boquet of roses is not a shop item that would intrest me, but a staff that had 5% chance to break magic immuntiy would..I could buy from shop directly, or spend my gc's to someone that was willing to buy.

I know you have always maintained to have a free, classless game, and 4 years later, I am still here :lipssealed: and enjoy it more every day. And for this we all thank you.

I don't like this idea for a few reasons...

1. It's nice to have an alt on to work their skills that you have collected ingredients for while you have to do some afk work with your main.

2. I myself am not an "ebul gold coin farmer".

3. How is this rule fair to the people that do not harvest for gold coin?

4. Many have alts just for the purpose of working different skills that they do not want to spend all their pickpoints on their main to do.

I have a few alts and the purpose for them are to work different skills and allowing me to lvl my main to be a fighter without using all those nexuses thus loosing pickpoints for attributes to try to keep up with the number of players that are buying nexuses and turning them into attribute pickpoints giving them even more of an advantage over others.

I think the rule is fine the way it is because imo this rule, if put in place, would be unfair against the number of us that have alts just to try doing other things stated above.

On a side note though..

If it really came down too it maybe have it so you may have 1 active alt on at a time thus slowing down the amount of items brought into game but come on. You mean to tell me that there is that much of a player base playing more than 2 characters at one time?...

PaulB

No based solely on the fact that this screws non-farmers as well. The concept of screwing everyone because of a few economy-killers, some of those which this will have no effect on (read a previous poster above for one example), is beyond overkill.

Overkill is a poor-thought solution to anything, especially when the majority of people affected have nothing to do with the ones that are actually the problem.

EDIT: And by the way:"No, if I can't afk-harvest with all of my alts while playing with my main, EL life isn't worth living!" <-- How about just a "no" next time if you expect to be taken seriously. Putting your obviously biased (as seen in channel 6 last night) options is hardly a means of getting people's honest opinions.

My answer is NO, simply no. Not all the BS that follows that no.

I agree. Also, I'm pretty skeptical of the "harv alts are ruining the economy" argument; I'd like to see some evidence that using an alt to farm gc then bypass rule 5 in an elaborate paypal money laundering scheme is actually a widespread phenomena.

No based solely on the fact that this screws non-farmers as well. The concept of screwing everyone because of a few economy-killers, some of those which this will have no effect on (read a previous poster above for one example), is beyond overkill.

Overkill is a poor-thought solution to anything, especially when the majority of people affected have nothing to do with the ones that are actually the problem.

EDIT: And by the way:"No, if I can't afk-harvest with all of my alts while playing with my main, EL life isn't worth living!" <-- How about just a "no" next time if you expect to be taken seriously. Putting your obviously biased (as seen in channel 6 last night) options is hardly a means of getting people's honest opinions.

I agree. Also, I'm pretty skeptical of the "harv alts are ruining the economy" argument; I'd like to see some evidence that using an alt to farm gc then bypass rule 5 in an elaborate paypal money laundering scheme is actually a widespread phenomena.

Also I would like too see proof that bringing more of an item into the game would cause the price to go up rather than down. Basic knowledge, from what I understand, tells you that the higher amount of an item in the game would actually cause said items to drop in price not increase.

AFAIK the more rare items are the higher the price will be.

Edited by Paul Brown

I have several chars both from my own IP and other places I play from, if peole are out and need someone to take care of their children, pets or house.

I could easy trade between this chars - I don't. :icon13:

I do never play more than 1 char at the same time.

I have them because I like to do different things - and my main do never level :lipssealed:

I don't this is the problem, what I could see as a problem is, that I harvest afk here 6-10 hours /day and play other games.

And only really play this game few hours a week, where I have lots to mix from the afk harvesting.

I think the best would be to make afk harvesting impossible.

How's about this: Dilly is broke. Dilly goes to unofficial forums, and sees someone offering 3M gc to sell. Dilly checks bankaccount and decides she can spend maybe 100 dollars. From the shop, this would get me 25 rostos, at best the equivalent of 550kgc. The going gc buying rate is at 7k/1USD, so it would get me at least 700kgc.

With all that gc, I can easily spend more on an item than someone that actually worked for his money ingame.

I´m not saying that this is actually my story, but I see it happen, and quite frequently too.

I´m not saying either that this is the only reason we are now having this discussion, but imo, it´s a big part of it.

so we get you good job irl or we get screwed ? :icon13:

cmon where is those RL milionaires?? Give man a job $$$$

buying gc from shop. .. well there was aloot of complayns that irl rich ppl makes too much influence to game. they buy everything for RL ca$h and only plays. while others have to spend thousands of hours in game to get somethings B)

anyway, i hope that You will find good, simple, smart solution, cuz other way we will loose more players from EL.

i would not like to see 50 ppl playing EL at a time ( this might happen if EL will be only for $$)...

and btw prices of items already got up.. did you feel a difference on selling from shop ? interesting if that really makes a big difference. basically ppl awoyd buying from shop cuz of gc->$ exchange rate .. "shop is expencive" :lipssealed:

I think alts that harv/farm just to sell hurt the game economy. They produce wealth without bringing balance by using those resources. Alts that are real 'alternate characters' should be nearly indistinguishable from a main. I have a couple of alts, mostly for exploring (I don't want my main popping into someone's guildmap, the guildmembers may not like it), and also for exploring different character builds. I do sometimes play multiple characters at the same time, using my laptop to run a second client. These characters are totally separate, don't interact, and my alts aren't selling gc for $$$. Obviously, there's a market, and it would be difficult (or impossible) to control that market, so I don't think that's the angle to take.

I'm not willing (at this point) to directly pay money into EL, either through the shop, or in the form of a proposed monthly fee. I think radu has taken a known formula for success --free stuff for everybody, better/more stuff for ppl who pay, or exclusive content (p2p characters) -- and put it to work. The gold/harving problem is obviously cutting into his RL economy, or this discussion wouldn't be happening here or in ch6.

I wouldn't want to lose my alts, but I feel something has to change, or we risk losing access to the game entirely, so, like others before me, I propose allowing 'real' alts, not farmers/harvers.

The developer/mod team seems to have a good handle on using server logs to learn crucial bits of information about players and their characters. I think a process to identify goldfarmers and harvesting alts is already in place, and it simply becomes a matter of declaring expectations --EL doesn't allow goldfarmers-- then holding us to those expectations through careful analysis of server logs.

EL is fun, and that's why I'm here. Any player who is here for money can GTFO as far as I'm concerned. Bots and bothosting are an exception to that statement, because they serve a useful purpose to the entire community, not just individuals. I guess this statement will make for me a brand-new bunch of friends, but, I can't get everyone to love me...

Thanks for reading,

Elveron.

This thread should really be about finding a new business model for EL and not about continuing on the same path and taking more fun elements out of the game.

If it makes the game become more playable again, yes it would. I have no problem with paying for services I enjoy. I have way more problems with a game system based on rankings, where "allthough officially unsupported" players can gain significant advantages. 1-2000 USD for a char that takes years to build, talk about inflation.

I could so very easily get sucked into writing one hell of an epic post here...

...but in the end so many changes to the game are needed to 'fix' this situation, that Radu would never do... so i'll just vote 'No', not because i think it's the best answer, but because i think that it's the best outcome out of all the realistically possible outcomes.

EDIT: typo

Edited by Korrode

this is different from selling rostos and EFEs? how?

this is different from selling rostos and EFEs? how?

Because when a player buys rosto/efe and sells it, the gc they receive comes out of the existing in-game gc pool.

If it makes the game become more playable again, yes it would. I have no problem with paying for services I enjoy. I have way more problems with a game system based on rankings, where "allthough officially unsupported" players can gain significant advantages. 1-2000 USD for a char that takes years to build, talk about inflation.

I vote for this.

I voted no, though i think the no answer is worded very poorly. ***No, if I can't afk-harvest with all of my alts while playing with my main, EL life isn't worth living!***

I have 2 characters of different builds and i enjoy playing both at once. Having an alt to play while my main is busy harving or magic training makes the game more fun for me. While both my characters harvest quite a bit, neither 'harvests' gc. Lets face it, some projects you can take on, making your own creature food for example, are tedious and require long hours of afk harving. :lipssealed: Having another character to play makes those long periods much more fun and make it less likely for me to just give up playing altogether.

While I do think a solution for this problem needs to be found, I don't think this is the right one.