Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Spikeayaya

Spikebigpapa banned for foul language in presence of mod

Dear Dudes or Dudettes,

Trust me on this okay...... u having an event that aggroes in non aggro territory and then the map is so crowded someone bag snatches is plenty of reason for a noob to say a few expletives. Considering that the event; having hard won gear destroyed, and having the rest of one's gear raped for something that shouldn't have happened in the first place, wiped out 10-15 hours of noob gaming, not to mention the opportunity cost of reacquiring, one might assume a negative reaction to the situation. An Analogy..... your boss hands you a paycheck equal to 75% your usual salary, yet you have already put in the hours. Might one react in a negative fashion? Might one feel cheated? Furthermore, in the passion of the moment, to send a harassing pm, clearly stated as against policy (although there is room for subjective interpretation as to the definition of harassment), to someone who said, "it happens" and was threatening and in no way represented himself in a professional manner (example.. "Hey Spike! I'm a mod for EL. What happened? Oh? Sorry. That wasn't supposed to happen. We have a review board for compensation.") would also seem to be understandable. If you want those who are offended by colorful language to have an option to avoid subjection, install a language filter that can be on or off.

If the character in question had been killed during normal game-play I would have no reason to be upset. I had seen the "event" mob previously, and noticed that when the creature was disengaged from combat he seemed to wander and not engage in random combat, hence, not something to worry about or avoid. It is still a mystery to me exactly how the character was killed, and at the time it seemed quite random.

I am an old-school gamer. I have previously been an integral part of the WoW and Dofus communities. I left WoW when membership levels got silly, and recently decided to leave Dofus, after several years and 4 servers, as the developers MASSIVELY restructured the game in the latest update instead of providing the much needed content for epic level characters. In my search for a possible replacement, EL was way out in front. Your game makes up for slow travel, an awkward interface, static hot-keys, and relatively poor graphics with an originality of character development concept unrivaled, sure to provide many hours of reasoning and implementation enjoyment.

Since being banned, and subsequently discovering the "whitelist = pay 5 bucks to be unbanned" and this subsection of this forum it would seem that the staff that manages the game is more concerned with ego-centric appeasement activity and having a place to feel empowered than with actually improving the game itself.

While I admit, creating a character named Raduisabeatch with the intention of continued harassment was certainly infantile. I was under the impression that "Radu" was some kind of hacker/programmer type, who had managed to crack the C codes enough to be able to mess with other players. Little did I know that the person behind the coldness and taunts was an EL staffer with "teh GOD" as his bio line. One rarely suspects people such as this to have any sense of humor. The chances of said Radu appreciating the gazelle like rapier whit of my nomination of he/she as "radouche" were slight indeed.

An IP ban is a small matter to overcome to anyone who has more resources than a pre-pubescent/early teen minor living with their parents. So if I choose to start a new account how will you know?

I reacted poorly to an amateur flaw in the game and a non-professional staffer. Apologies. Now that I have seen your staff at work I have a good idea why the game has never progressed in terms of market share or revenue. A word of advice Radu, read Information Theory by Jeremy Miller. It has the most concise, understandable explanation of the concept of entropy. Character name was Spikebigpapa.

Edited by Spikeayaya

Ok, first things first: there is no such thing as "pay 5 bucks to get unbanned". If someone wants to be added on the whitelist right away, AND they are not banned, but their ISP is banned, then yes, they can send 5 bucks to expedite the process.

"Hey Spike! I'm a mod for EL. What happened? Oh? Sorry. That wasn't supposed to happen. We have a review board for compensation."

We don't have review boards for compensation when you die, unless if you die due to a bug. This was no bug, this was a random game event, and a lot of people died in that event, and most of them are not upset at all. What you lost couldn't have been too valuble anyway, since you started playing just a few days ago. People lose MUCH more than that every day, and most of the time they accept it as part of the gameplay.

Trust me on this okay...... u having an event that aggroes in non aggro territory and then the map is so crowded someone bag snatches is plenty of reason for a noob to say a few expletives.

Expeltives are OK, no one got baned for a few expletives. But what you did was much more than that. I am too lazy to search in my logs, but you said something like: "hey, motherfuckers, who is the motherfucker that took my bag, give it back!" and "You fucking shitheads, give me back my bag". You cursed at me multiple times, I told you TWO times that if you curse again you are out, and then you sent me an insulting PM calling me a douchebag.

This is not just expletives, this is insulting other players, after being told to stop. You said you played some other games, maybe you should try doing the same thing there and tell me what happens. AFAIK, WoW bans people for similar stuff too, and that game cost 15 bucks a month.

Little did I know that the person behind the coldness and taunts was an EL staffer with "teh GOD" as his bio line.

Well, maybe the fact that I had a green name and 10 times more health than other people gave a hint? Either way, what did you expect me to say after you called everyone motherfuckers and shitheads? Give you a hug and give back your items?

I reacted poorly to an amateur flaw in the game and a non-professional staffer

You expect professional staffers after you begin swearing at everyone, in a free game? Like I said, do that in WoW and let me know what happens.

Now that I have seen your staff at work I have a good idea why the game has never progressed in terms of market share or revenue.

Yeah, well, except for Runescape, show me one totally independent MMO, where the team started from 0, with no assets, no investments whatsoever, that is doing significantly better than us.

So if I choose to start a new account how will you know?

I won't know, and I don't care, so long as you respect the game rules.

In fact, I see that you can actually talk in a civilized manner, which is surprising, given my previous interaction with you. I tell you what. If you promise to onbserve the game rules from now on, I'll unban your IP and your chaarcter.

What u lost couldn't have been too valuable since u just started blah blah......

Dude u have serious issues. This statement shows a blatant disregard of or complete and total lack of comprehension of time valuation and opportunity cost. The idea is that time was lost, compounded by the cost of reacquiring the items, multiplied by the loss of time spent potentially on normal logical progression activity. Actual game value and value to a player relative to his/her level are vastly different. You know how to bully and attempt to condescend with fallacious logic. Sanctions for in game behavior should happen instantly without discussion. The fact that your policy is one of "come grovel and we'll fix you" further serves to bolster my argument for the apparent need for ego-gratification. The whole idea behind MMO's and RPG's in general is the creation of an alter-ego. Hence, real life inadequacy issues shouldn't come into play, especially from staff.

U expect prof. staff blah blah blah......

To answer your attempt at a complex question, commonly referred incorrectly to as rhetorical, in a word, yes. It is when most tempted to be non-professional that you must be as professional as possible. Apologies again for being noob to your system, but perhaps you should invest more time in programming a MOD figure readily distinguishable from player/characters/NPC, and less on developing your own character to suit your own needs. The legal term "conflict of interests" is the impetus behind most sites not allowing this behavior from the staff. From reading a few other "ban" posts, there is sufficient enough evidence to assume you favor some players over others and that this affects your use of MOD privileges. I wouldn't know too much about what transpires at WoW these days. I left maybe a year into the release. The signs were clear already where that "world" was heading.

This debate could go back and forth. 6+ years in beta should be adequate time for any group of programmers to fix any glitches, make fundamental changes as a direct result of player feedback, and launch a commercial version of the game, especially in a language like C. Time spent on personal character development is not anything a MOD should be remotely involved in. The world is for the players NOT the MODs. In no other online game have I ever seen a MOD who looks exactly like a player character. I understand now why several players were supplicatory before you. Quite frankly it is wrong.

Basically you should have some sense of obligation to keep your personal issues out of your work. Every post I read from you screams personalization, sarcasm, ego-gratification issues, condescension. This is not the stuff of building a happy customer base.

Your team started with the ENTIRE PROGRAM.

"from scratch"= from the very beginning, esp. w/o utilizing or relying on any previous assistance.

LMFAO

You, sir, represent everything I detest about the human species/consciousness: an inappropriate superiority complex based on condescension and the general degradation of your peers through the laughable means of fallacious arguments, general myopia and distortion of self-importance through rationalization, basic abuse of authority caused by the inability to ascend from the need for ego-appeasement. At the end of your reply, you requested propitiation in the form of an oath to observe the rules of the game. It is rather surprising, and somewhat rebarbative to find so loathsome a character as a lead element of such a wonderful concept. Do as you like with the account, just answer two questions not in the post but in your own cranium....

What events have transpired to allow me to rationalize fallacious patronization and condescension as acceptable methods of interaction with others?

Do I have any real skills to aide this concept in it's evolution?

Just a clarification: radu is not 'a mod', but THE owner and developer of this game, it is his game you are playing for free. I find it pretty amazing that he talks to players and responds to feedback to improve the game. The fact that the game is still beta has nothing to do with the lack of development but more with the principle of the game. I hope and expect it will never be 'finished' :).

With respect to the actual mods, they are regular experienced players who are willing to spend their time helping others, and occasionally being a policeman in the game. Mods get no benefit from all the time spent helping others.

About losing stuff to an invasion monster, this is ALSO part of the game. If you dont like it, then feel free to play another game.

Did you notice you actually have to AGREE to the rules before you are able to play this game? They are written in plain and understandable english. If you break the rules, you get punished, if you follow them, this game can be a load of fun.

Edited by Maxine

@Spikeayaya

You've been playing this game for a matter of days and yet you make in-depth assumptions about both the game mechanics and administrative operation.

It shows a good deal of audacity and arrogance.

I'm not a moderator or any type of official for EL, in fact, i'm someone who's usually willing to scrutinise moderation decisions, but the amount you decided to assume, at various points, greatly discredits your posts, and damages the impact of any valid points you may have.

From what i can tell, you first made an assumption about gameplay (invasion monster behaviour)...

...then made an assumption that X value would be placed on your time and effort,

...then assumed breaking harassment rules wouldn't be harshly punished,

...then assumed Radu was a hacker, after that a stereotypical EL moderator.

Later on in you posts there's other incorrect assumptions (one good example being that Radu focuses much time on his character's development).

You should've just gracefully taken the offered unbanning, and spent a lot more time learning about the game before embarking on a crusade.

EDIT: Made significant changes to the post, removing some seeming hostility and emphasised mistaken assumptions as discrediting.

Edited by Korrode

it is his game you are playing for free.

Did you notice you actually have to AGREE to the rules before you are able to play this game? They are written in plain and understandable english. If you break the rules, you get punished, if you follow them, this game can be a load of fun.

More patronization from a clearly inferior intellect. If I were inclined to personalize, I would be insulted. MMO's belong to no one. Complex question are for the uneducated, unenlightened, and those like you suffering from either a lack of short term memory and inability to read for content. I made reference to the rules and admitted the infraction in the first post.

As far as I can tell there doesn't seem to be a plethora of basic intellect around here. You have added to the evidence. Congradulations!

Edited by Spikeayaya

@Spikeayaya

You've been playing this game for a matter of days and yet you make in-depth assumptions about both the game mechanics and administrative operation.

Sir, I clearly stated multiple years of on-line gaming. Having done so, qualifications to make "informed" analysis would seem to be self-evident.

@Spikeayaya

Later on in you posts there's other incorrect assumptions (one good example being that Radu focuses much time on his character's development).

It is evident from his ranking that no small measure of time has been spent.

What u lost couldn't have been too valuable since u just started blah blah......

Dude u have serious issues. This statement shows a blatant disregard of or complete and total lack of comprehension of time valuation and opportunity cost. The idea is that time was lost, compounded by the cost of reacquiring the items, multiplied by the loss of time spent potentially on normal logical progression activity. Actual game value and value to a player relative to his/her level are vastly different. You know how to bully and attempt to condescend with fallacious logic. Sanctions for in game behavior should happen instantly without discussion. The fact that your policy is one of "come grovel and we'll fix you" further serves to bolster my argument for the apparent need for ego-gratification. The whole idea behind MMO's and RPG's in general is the creation of an alter-ego. Hence, real life inadequacy issues shouldn't come into play, especially from staff.

U expect prof. staff blah blah blah......

To answer your attempt at a complex question, commonly referred incorrectly to as rhetorical, in a word, yes. It is when most tempted to be non-professional that you must be as professional as possible. Apologies again for being noob to your system, but perhaps you should invest more time in programming a MOD figure readily distinguishable from player/characters/NPC, and less on developing your own character to suit your own needs. The legal term "conflict of interests" is the impetus behind most sites not allowing this behavior from the staff. From reading a few other "ban" posts, there is sufficient enough evidence to assume you favor some players over others and that this affects your use of MOD privileges. I wouldn't know too much about what transpires at WoW these days. I left maybe a year into the release. The signs were clear already where that "world" was heading.

This debate could go back and forth. 6+ years in beta should be adequate time for any group of programmers to fix any glitches, make fundamental changes as a direct result of player feedback, and launch a commercial version of the game, especially in a language like C. Time spent on personal character development is not anything a MOD should be remotely involved in. The world is for the players NOT the MODs. In no other online game have I ever seen a MOD who looks exactly like a player character. I understand now why several players were supplicatory before you. Quite frankly it is wrong.

Basically you should have some sense of obligation to keep your personal issues out of your work. Every post I read from you screams personalization, sarcasm, ego-gratification issues, condescension. This is not the stuff of building a happy customer base.

Your team started with the ENTIRE PROGRAM.

"from scratch"= from the very beginning, esp. w/o utilizing or relying on any previous assistance.

LMFAO

You, sir, represent everything I detest about the human species/consciousness: an inappropriate superiority complex based on condescension and the general degradation of your peers through the laughable means of fallacious arguments, general myopia and distortion of self-importance through rationalization, basic abuse of authority caused by the inability to ascend from the need for ego-appeasement. At the end of your reply, you requested propitiation in the form of an oath to observe the rules of the game. It is rather surprising, and somewhat rebarbative to find so loathsome a character as a lead element of such a wonderful concept. Do as you like with the account, just answer two questions not in the post but in your own cranium....

What events have transpired to allow me to rationalize fallacious patronization and condescension as acceptable methods of interaction with others?

Do I have any real skills to aide this concept in it's evolution?

I know I should not comment, but I have to know where did you find the English to garrulous translator?

@Spikeayaya

You should've just gracefully taken the offered unbanning, and spent a lot more time learning about the game before embarking on a crusade.

Another supplicant with a challenged intellect.

It is evident from his ranking that no small measure of time has been spent.

With all your great gaming knowledge, have you never heard of admins being able to increase their own character's stats? :( No need to play a long time

Edited by 2coolfool

lol

Radu doesn't need to level, he has server access.

He has 1270 health because he gave himself 1270 health.

He may be called upon to test something which would mean he would simply up his levels serverside the same way he does with bots.

I refuse to get into a battle of intellect with you for I fear you would be challenged should google synonym search ever go down.

I can't wait for you to begin playing again :(

Moved to general chat so that anyone who feels the need to comment or defend themselves may.

Ent may very well choose to put this back in bans, so honor that please if he does.

Try to keep it clean and on topic.

I think this gentleman has just banged up against one of the best things about this game. The community.

Too bad his head is so far up his ass he can't share in the experience. It's his loss, certainly not ours.

24 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 3 Anonymous Users)

17 Members: GarfieldClowntje, Jaclaw, jim55, annatira, bromber, geritt, 2coolfool, Maxine, molime, LabRat, rauch, Crom, Gilrain, RunTime, Raz, Dugur, lilpickle

it's april 1th tomorrow ... maybe it's a joke ? Radu and Roja (and moderators?) came up with it together, planned and typed out allready? :(

(might explain the moving to gen-chat section :P )

/1st and last post in this -ridiculous- thread

Another supplicant with a challenged intellect that can not use quotes properly!

Ramblings of a mad NOOB with a Thesaurus

@Spikeayaya

Another supplicant with a challenged intellect.

lmfao!!! This is the gift that keeps on giving. The "brilliant" intellect illustrates said brilliance by ignoring the crystal arguments of dear korrode's razor, and resorts to the ad hominum echo of his own inferiorities. It's impressive that you managed to read 2 psych textbooks and a dictionary. Bravo....idiot.

phaedo

Is it possible to get Turin to respond to this Muppet? Turin can pawn this n44b in teh forumz. I bet he never comes back after Turin FK's (forum kills) this Joker

Mate, gotta love ya! :( Now, if I could just find that hangman's noose emoticon....

play more than a few days before insulting the game, its creator, and its players. Just because you use "big" words doesnt make you intelligent. This game is great because it is constantly changing and becoming better, because of the people you insulted. So go play Runescape :(

play more than a few days before insulting the game, its creator, and its players. Just because you use "big" words doesnt make you intelligent. This game is great because it is constantly changing and becoming better, because of the people you insulted. So go play Runescape :(

Give the man a rest, this is between him and Radu I believe.

It might just be healthy having a little more liberal freedom of speech here, even if that means allowing personal assaults (which aren't too unheard of already).

Edited by HeLLRaiZeR