Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
buggalugs

Why I like HELP guild

"buggalugs" is my first character in EL. I started out by just experimenting and getting ideas about what I could do. I learned fairly early about the guild concept, and thought about the pro's and con's of being a guild member.

After a while, when I had built up some skills, I found I was being approached by various guild members, inviting me to join their guilds. I got the sense that I could have said yes to any one of them and more or less joined a guild with no hurdles. I felt that some of the people asking me to consider their guild seemed a bit over-anxious to increase their membership. I have two speeds, slow, and slower.

In my travels I had interactions with one or two of the HELP guild members. I was never pressurised or pestered, and that is A BIG PLUS to me. I was simply invited to look at the web site, which I agreed to do.

I read the HELP philosophy. It is simple. No trouble makers. Try to return death bags. No intruding on guild maps, apologise if you do. Don't take peoples stuff, don't PK unless you do it by agreement with your opponent. Oh, yes, and try to trade with guild members first. That one kind of goes a bit against the grain because I like the idea of freedom to trade with whom I will. When I asked about this, I was told, it's not a hard and fast rule, just a guideline.

And of course, I have found that as I have come to know guild members, I kind of know what they can do and what they have to offer. Sometimes they have giveaways, drops they don't need, and sometimes I do too. So there is a tendency to trade within your guild.

Our guild HELP is co-operative. If something needs to be done, we pool our resources and get it done.

We have good sources of advice. which is REALLY useful. Sometimes you get differences of opinion, but even that is good because you can weigh things up.

We go on adventures, exploring places, help each other out if deathbags are dropped and a rescue is needed. The guild officers can check your stats and give guidance about allocating pickpoints. We tell each other stories about things we see and things that happen to us. And if you want to have a quiet time, with little interaction, *that's fine too*.

I'm sure a lot of other guilds can say similar things, but my experience of being in the HELP guild has been really satisfying for me. I made the right decision.

buggalugs.

Hate to say it, but it sounds like every established mixing guild in the game, although I'm happy you found a guild you like. :P

Edited by Shujral

I suppose it is an interesting recruiting tactic. But, it is primarilly a statement about why I chose a guild, and what the gain is. Very basically of course. If anyone is looking for a guild, it seems to me they should look at the philosophy of the guild first and see if it resonates; "Pushy" invitations were a bit offputting for me, but to each, his own.

Thank you buggalugs for your recommendations of "Our Guild"

It was very informative and interesting for me to read indepth a guildies un-solicited opinion regarding HELP.

I do not like to "push" people into joining a guild purely to boost membership, as fast as you recruit you will lose them just as quickly. I prefer to let people take their time and make sure it is what they wish to do (a happy guildie is one who stays within the guild). Even though that sometimes means we lose a proseptive member to a more aggresive recruiting style of some other guilds.

The members of HELP are the biggest recruiting tool by showing HELPfulness, integrity (and a sense of humor) to both newbies and established players of EL. We are growing slowly but surely, with the kind of people I am proud and happy to call my guildies. We are indeed a small family, with different ideas and personalities, everyone is free to be involved at whatever level they are happy to participate.

Starlite (GM)

Starrrlyyyy \o/ Veraaaaa \o/ Join WING :icon13: Kidding. Love you people \o/

Yany :P

Well i have been always liking HELP guild, didnt get suprized :pickaxe: Best wishes for guild HELP, shout if you need anything anytime.

-Kaddy

I am glad that I have joined HELP as well. Starlite took me in after I left my other guild, and I will say that she is one of the most understanding people I have met so far in EL :medieval:

Edited by Ghostsong