Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Raytray

Events

Since I've been back in the game I've found 0 ingame events by other players. This isn't including the Annatria PMs stuff. What happened?

When I played a couple months ago there would be at least an event once a week. It could be that I've been playing at the wrong times but I've played every day of the week, 3-8 hours a day depending on what day it is.

This is going into assuming that channel 7 is still the events channel. If not, I'm making a fool of myself. hehe.

So, what happened? Recession affecting everyone where? EL recession?

Could it be we dont' all wanna give out all our shit?

Seriously, I thnk thats the only reason you want them.

Edited by forever

I've hosted many contests before and I've found it fun to do so. I was merely wondering what may the cause of their dissappearance. I find that contests and events bring me out of the day to day harvesting and mixing projects as I do not pk.

I think that may be the reason why I want them. That is why there is an official channel for it isn't it?

And I think you're being an irritating loud-mouth who needs a firm boot up his ass, but that's neither here nor there, is it?

Anyway, I've not been logged in for a few days, but it would seem to me that, Raytray you should lead by example B) . Heh, I remember hosting a ridiculous event, in which I literally lost a guildie (he went AFK :pickaxe: ) and decided I'd give out some prize money (5-10k, I can't remember) to whoever could find him. Turned out he was in TG storage all along, and I had been checking the C2 storages. Boy was my face red.

Radu has hosted several events recently on channel 6, and I continue to do events although not as frequently. Last year I had two major donors who gave me enough stuff to hold 2 contests a day for a very long time, but that bounty has sadly almost been depleted.

I 've noticed fewer player initiated contests on channel 7. If you are feeling the lack of # of contests, by all means host some! It's not difficult and it's fun to give stuff away. Anyone needing advice is free to ask me, although I will not do all the work for you.

And I think you're being an irritating loud-mouth who needs a firm boot up his ass, but that's neither here nor there, is it?

Anyway, I've not been logged in for a few days, but it would seem to me that, Raytray you should lead by example B) . Heh, I remember hosting a ridiculous event, in which I literally lost a guildie (he went AFK :pickaxe: ) and decided I'd give out some prize money (5-10k, I can't remember) to whoever could find him. Turned out he was in TG storage all along, and I had been checking the C2 storages. Boy was my face red.

Haven't been online in a few days? stfu to me then kk.

More complaints about contests because people want free items. It's stupid. Radu ahs hosted several that half the game did NOT even try in. and I cant' even tell you the amount of annatira pm contests that people have hosted through her.

I tried to host one a few days back

(think it's a few weeks now lol)

Channel 7 has a few people active on it

and a moderator told me only well known hosters get an announcement

I prefer hosting than playing

However due to lack of resource collecting - It's hard :)

And on that note - I'll like to thank everyone who has donated to me or helped me in order to host a few contests :)

lol

The first and main cause is the thirst for experience! Almost everyplayer is calculating what is the best item to make for the best xp / sec. So they can't afford to " sacrifice " 1 hours to host or to participate in an event.

Haven't been online in a few days? stfu to me then kk.

you might want to stop cursing. this is the 2nd time i notice you doing so here in forum.

k ? thx

I tried to host one a few days back

(think it's a few weeks now lol)

Channel 7 has a few people active on it

and a moderator told me only well known hosters get an announcement

I prefer hosting than playing

However due to lack of resource collecting - It's hard :)

And on that note - I'll like to thank everyone who has donated to me or helped me in order to host a few contests :P

lol

I remember you did plenty events indeed :)

anyway, since you are pr0 hide & seek, I'l contact you in 16 Lenny_kills, #100 is worth an event I think :)

The first and main cause is the thirst for experience! Almost everyplayer is calculating what is the best item to make for the best xp / sec. So they can't afford to " sacrifice " 1 hours to host or to participate in an event.
I think this is a common EL disease.

For instance - excuse the pun :) - I have been trying to raise an instance team for quite a while, and some people/guilds quite simply ignore my invites. Some decline politely, others, not-so-politely, and explain that they are too busy training, and can't 'waste time' on some 'stupid' instance where they are likely to lose stuff!

The bottom line is that many players see EL as a competition, not a game.

It is easy enough to get assistance from a mod in announcing them and in the past, my guild has suggested that we host some events for new players. The topic has not been mentioned for a little bit though. Perhaps I will ask if they still want to do it. It will be for new players only, most likely.

Some guild are more than willing to work as a team for setting up events. I have heard of at least 4, I think. Mind you, I can't remember who else than my guild, but my memory does suck, so that is not surprising. I have also been playing the game since about March 16, 2005/2006. I think it was 2006, really. Anyways, I would not doubt it if your guild would help you run an event if you asked. As for me, I may ask my guild if they would like to do something like this.

Heh, if I could host an event I would. I gave away my inventory in a guild event after a year of playing because I was planning to leave. (Look where that got me.) Mods are generally happy to announce. I wasn't well known and they were more than pleasant in announcing a couple for me.

Nice to see that everyone is still nice around here. :P

As for the EL disease, yup hehe.

Radu has hosted several events recently on channel 6, and I continue to do events although not as frequently. Last year I had two major donors who gave me enough stuff to hold 2 contests a day for a very long time, but that bounty has sadly almost been depleted.

I 've noticed fewer player initiated contests on channel 7. If you are feeling the lack of # of contests, by all means host some! It's not difficult and it's fun to give stuff away. Anyone needing advice is free to ask me, although I will not do all the work for you.

well i didnt know there were events being held on channel 6 . its hard to keep channel 6 and 7 open due to the three channel limit, so if radu is reading this can you please announce it next time? and thanks :)

well i didnt know there were events being held on channel 6 . its hard to keep channel 6 and 7 open due to the three channel limit, so if radu is reading this can you please announce it next time? and thanks :)

He announced it in channel six. 2 ice dragons guarding a hyperbag I believe.

[00:06:07] Today is the 28th day in the month of Fruitfall, the year 0018, Age of the Eternals

[00:06:07] Game Time: 04:05:02

[00:06:07] There are 2 invaded monsters left.

[00:06:13] You need to wear a Pickaxe in order to harvest this item!

[00:06:38] Welcome to channel 6.

[00:07:09] You started to harvest Titanium Ore.

[00:07:10] You stopped harvesting.

[00:07:16] You started to harvest Titanium Ore.

[00:08:07] cajun_belle has logged on.

[00:08:57] chrismani has logged on.

[00:09:37] [radu @ 6]: are we still looking?

[00:09:44] [ryddler @ 6]: you bet

[00:09:44] [Elmo @ 6]: maybe ^^

[00:13:00] While harvesting, Berlioz upset a radon pouch, and was hit for 30 points of radiation damage.

[00:13:03] [MysticViper @ 6]: [radu @ 6]: so, we have two icys[radu @ 6]: guarding a hyperspace bag[radu @ 6]: the location is in a secret place

I'm finding that I'm having a harder time raising money. As a result I just don't have the motivation to hold contests like I used to. I used to do them quite often... although not many in the last year. Although I did throw 200k+ gold on the lottery twice in the past year that people were happy to win. Not sure if that could be considered an event. I think another factor is that people are treating in game money more like real life money... and as a result they're not as keen to part with it to strangers.

Edited by Ayreus

First of all, I guess we are all missing our official Events Manager :)

The true events are very rare these days. Sorry but sending a pm in a hope to win something is not an event really, it is a lottery. It takes 5 seconds to participate, and 5 seconds to check if you are the winner.

True events, if they happen, they usually ignore existence of European players who make up over 40% of this community. 90% of events and invasions start when Europe sleeps or is at work, and if Europeans want an invasion they need to find a monsters hidden somewhere rofl

That's not only discouraging but also causes imbalance in the game, at least imo. Both invasions as well as hb contests where new/valuable items are being introduced should be treated as resources and I believe an access to such should be equal for all players, no matter in which time zone they live. I understand that abilities to run events are limited and depend on Radu's / mod's time. However, recent situation is so different from what we had let's say a year ago, when contests and events were spread equally, that it is worth pointing out.

People hardly participate in player run contests if prizes are not expensive enough. I have run a weekly H&S for a few weeks but I've stopped due to low number of participantsor lack of interest at all. Also a large contest our guild was holding was a failure - it was announced by the mod, then when it was half done, global invasion has started. On the next Saturday, when the contest was on again, we've suddenly got 2 hrs of Sun Tzu won, causing participants to run to the spawns lol. We have given up. The contest required 5 people to run chars hidden in various places, waiting for players visiting each of them, to get clues and finally to the main prize, we could not get people third time to lose 2 hrs on the weekend, sorry about that. We might have been very unlucky here but that's how it was and due to that we have never tried again.

Spam in channels 6 and 7 might be an issue here as well, it has been way better when there was just one channel for events and invasions, and it was not a place for general chat (which has a separate channel anyway). For a player run contests, it is hard now to get attention on ch6, to get event participants to ch7, and finally keep giving hints and to answer contest questions in channel 7 in civilized manner, not being flooded with spam. Perhaps a client option everyone could set, to temporarily mark contest host's post in channel 7 with a different color would help participants to see hints better, avoiding constant question repetitions.

I really miss large events organized by Kheres/Vanyel/Ayumu and Events Team. I hope one day we'll see another Board Game or Mortos Challenge.

True events, if they happen, they usually ignore existence of European players who make up over 40% of this community. 90% of events and invasions start when Europe sleeps or is at work, and if Europeans want an invasion they need to find a monsters hidden somewhere rofl

Must say I agree with this, atm those who play between 6pm-1am GMT are (to put it bluntly) getting screwed over. I know the people who run invasions have RL's to attend to, but how long does it take to spam a few creatures in C2 portals room etc for an invasion ?

Atm the only "invasion" fun I can get is to do an Instance (and they are getting very samey)

I think Cruella has made a lot of very valid points for debate there, little of which can be contested, and the suggestions made for being able to mark an event hosts announcements in a channel are, to coin a phrase, teh dogs nutz. Nice idea which should be posted up in suggestions section for puritys sake, as soon as possible (to allow room to develop the idea further without going offtopic here too much).

As for events themselves, I have to agree there is a substantial lack of them, but it seems that time is the most important factor in their disappearance I think. Theryndan has managed to accumulate millions of GCs worth of prize donations before, which suggests to me that it isnt lack of interest in giving stuff freely, but more a case of people simply not wanting to tear themselves away from their normal ingame routine to plan/organise events themselves. The events like BKC's Shadow Of Selain are stuff of legend now, sadly.

Hopefully we will one day soon see a revival of interest in giving up some of our time for such endevours and contributions, but I know it takes a lot to do something on the scale of that one so hats off to anyone who does ANY events and gives up their time for it.

Must say I agree with this, atm those who play between 6pm-1am GMT are (to put it bluntly) getting screwed over. I know the people who run invasions have RL's to attend to, but how long does it take to spam a few creatures in C2 portals room etc for an invasion ?

Atm the only "invasion" fun I can get is to do an Instance (and they are getting very samey)

Valid points. Adding to their logic - Peak Player Time (as cona briefly mentioned) sees little considering the amount of events outside that time slot (re: radu hidding dragons/portals invasions etc). Suggesting the 'average' person is being left out (not even having the opportunity to take part in ) of these community events.

Maybe this sounds like moaning? For me its mere observation.

As to player events - I'm sure it has much to do with channel restrictions and not being able to sit on channel 7 all the time. If more people were there I'm sure there would be more lively. Damn 3 channel restrictions.

A very interesting thread. I found it fascinating. I have a few, random, comments in an even more random order.

1. I think that us, contest holders, spoilt the community with events that take no effort to win, but are rewarded with some crazy prizes. It can't be too shocking that only a bunch of dedicated contestants are interested in anything that makes them move their butts from training, harvesting or manufacturing spot. I cannot agree more with Cruella. She hit the bull's eye. (Sidenote: I really dislike events that take no effort. I usually tried to make my ones a bit more challenging.)

2. Long time ago (over 3 years), I remember contests, when people were running back and forth in madness to win just some stuff, that would be considered trash today. I guess, back then, it wasn't prizes that counted, but... look at point 1 above. Nowadays, if one doesn't provide stuff worth 50k+ the contest is nearly sure to be a complete failure.

3. Donations. Yay! I was orgasmic each time I got something. I think I don't have to mention I was pretty desperate at some point (look here). I got a weird impression that hardly anybody wants to donate anything without being mentioned in a message after the contest (pity we don't have gold letters, fireworks and blinking option --- it might be a good way to attract more donators). I'd like to express my gratitude to everybody who donated. You, guys, gave me a lot of fun :)

4. Participants. I stopped counting events I had to call off due to lack of participants. I guess, I don't have to remind you point 1 above, right?

Just few thoughts. I apologise if I insulted anybody.

Edited by Ayumu

Ayumu points

1 - I consider the same, depending on the prize i'm giving away and who it's aimed at.

Example Leather Armour sets, aimed at newbies, make it somewhat challenging (Seridia)

2 - Oh I remember thoses days. Iron Armour set, Enriched essence set, 20kgc. Some people spend time using rings or teleportations to get the prize quickly, sometimes bringing the wrong item, wasted more essence or rings. However, people would play for the thrill of it and winning was just a bonus. (Acelon, Bugabear, Molime, Magpielee(even though he usually wins) are a few I remember) (Sorry if anyone feels offended I did not include them)

However, like Ayumu said, now if the prize isn't good enough, no one seems to care unless they got nearly no items anyway.

3 - And yes, donations were great, bigger they were, the more chance of more poeple playing or offering a better challenge to those who want it. If the prize isn't worth the challenge, no one plays.

4 - Hench I try to do surprised events ingame when I can.

PS: sorry if I insulted anyone as well in some way

Edited by cho-yun

I pretty much agree with Ayumu. PM contests are good from time to time but not when they're the only sort of contests going on. And most people don't really seem to go for contests for the fun anymore, which is sad :)

I'd love to see some more contests, it's fun to participate and help when possible