Eternal Lands Official Forums
robotbob

Mage\Magic Addition Wishlist

[...]

Offcourse fighters should be able to cast magic spells in combat, BUT the spells would need to be far less powerfull than they are right now. The Mage's spells should be powered-up, so they can actually win from fighters.

Fractions can allways be discussed and tweaded so the mages wont become uber-powerfull, but will stand a chance against figthers.

Cyas!

<Jerome_NL ingame nowadays :) >

Are you serious? Have you any idea how strong some of the mages are? .... 100+ dmg.. some even over 200dmg per harm... It's more then enough damage to take out anyone within 1-3 sec..

[...]

Offcourse fighters should be able to cast magic spells in combat, BUT the spells would need to be far less powerfull than they are right now. The Mage's spells should be powered-up, so they can actually win from fighters.

Fractions can allways be discussed and tweaded so the mages wont become uber-powerfull, but will stand a chance against figthers.

Cyas!

<Jerome_NL ingame nowadays :brooding: >

Are you serious? Have you any idea how strong some of the mages are? .... 100+ dmg.. some even over 200dmg per harm... It's more then enough damage to take out anyone within 1-3 sec..

And some of the current spells can also be tweaked a bit :brooding:

Right now a good attack/defense person has probably also a good magic level so any good attacker can also cast a good bit of harm.

Magic immunity makes it 100% safe against harm spells ... so just cast that one and be safe (as it is now)

IF current spells are tweaked so that harm doesnt give 100+ damage AND magic immunity is not 100% garantuee a Mage can have a change ... right now a Mage doesnt! Because an a/d person can cast Magic Immunity Spell and Tele To Range next to the Mage and Mage is dead meat!

So IF we want Mage ingame to have a chance (and many people ingame want that ... just hit search button in suggestion ... MANY are for mages) we dó need changes.

My 2 cents

[...]

Cyas!

<Jerome_NL ingame nowadays :( >

What Magic level and Ration level is this possible?

Is there anyone that can do this ingame, or is this exaggeration to make a point?

Not that Im complaining, I just want to see the stats.

I think he means something that would help keep a mage from BOTH

Instantly dying AND having no chance to cast anything (ie MI = 100% chance to stop ALL spells)

and not giving it 400 harms.

The thing I find the most strange about EL magic is spell range. It seems slightly unbalanced to me that a fighter with relatively low magic can reach a mage with TTR spell at the distance roughly four times longer than a maximum distance of offensive spell a mage can cast. Obviously a mage can use invisibility but that makes a combat for a mage who is not high in a/d/p/c quite short.

A side note - same applies to rangers who can be caught with TTR way too easy. TTR is not overpowered by any means but a ward that creates a circle of anti-ttr protection would be a great tactical combat tool for mages and rangers.

Back to the topic - I'd consider increasing range of offensive spells. Spell range could have been based solely on magic skill level to avoid buffing just by maximizing r/w.

I also miss those classic rpg area spells like fireball and meteor shower for instance :) :)

I agree that the spell ranges are bad.

You have to be practically on top of a monster for you to be able to cast harm on it. For the idea of fighting a dragon, this means that by the time the spell reaches the dragon, you are probably already dead. The same goes for anything else too strong for you to fight.

Let's not forget the non-offensive spells. Remote heal is not very remote and heal summons requires the summons to be practically touching you.

I forget if anyone mention this spell, but.....Cure Poison.

"What? You poisoned yourself again??? Ye be cured!"

Perhaps 1 matter, 1 life and 1 health essence or something like that.....I didn't exactly think about it but for a second. The cost and ingreds of the poison antidote need to be considered when choosing so that it does not make the poison antidotes go unused.

Changes to existing spells:

Poison Spell, based on Ration\Magic level, and stackable. (Gives a strong reason

to have antidotes on hand)

Initially I wanted to stay away from yet another mage-like thread (there certainly is quite a lot of them).

:)

But I'll pop in to link this thread here:

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=29247

That was then, before rostos were hoarded and dragon armours...enough reason to reconsider a possible change to the poison formula spell damage.

(I would also like to see poison arrow / bolts)

The thing I find the most strange about EL magic is spell range.

<snip>

Back to the topic - I'd consider increasing range of offensive spells. Spell range could have been based solely on magic skill level to avoid buffing just by maximizing r/w.

Very true, increased spell range would be a nice change. With the current "combat system" of EL you really do need to get up close and personal with your target. Though this kinda depends on your perception and light modifiers as well as you will need to see the target first right? I also agree on the high magic skill req rather than the r/w hike.

Perhaps 1 matter, 1 life and 1 health essence or something like that.....I didn't exactly think about it but for a second. The cost and ingreds of the poison antidote need to be considered when choosing so that it does not make the poison antidotes go unused.

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=37937

There's your answer...well...lack thereof. On one hand I would love to get a cure poison spell one with a nice cost-efficient essies reqs but I know that any recipe would be hiked by 10x by the powers that be. On the other hand, I think a spell like this would create a lot of Potionists bitching (which I can fully understand).

A lot of these threads want to help the so called "mages" but unforunately, its really quite novelty as most of the high magickers are high a/ders. :)

A lot of these threads want to help the so called "mages" but unforunately, its really quite novelty as most of the high magickers are high a/ders. :)

Heh, in one of those classic online mmorpg's warriors were using mostly a separate healing skill (with a use of bandages) while mages were (obviously) relying on magic. That was due to a fact that each character could excel (reach cap) just in 7 out of 35 skills, so it was not possible to be a mage and a warrior in the same time (top fighters and top mages had just one skill out of 7 major ones in common - magic resistance). Side note - I'd love to see magic immunity spell replaced with magic resistance trainable skill !

Now, obviously EL is supposed to be classless game, but I can imagine that we could have a negative perk that lowers spell power by certain percentage (substantial) while giving certain number of pp's to the person who takes it. On the other hand we could have a positive perk that increases spell power in exchange for a certain number of pp's ....

Edit: spelling

Edited by Cruella

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=37937

There's your answer...well...lack thereof. On one hand I would love to get a cure poison spell one with a nice cost-efficient essies reqs but I know that any recipe would be hiked by 10x by the powers that be. On the other hand, I think a spell like this would create a lot of Potionists bitching (which I can fully understand).

A lot of these threads want to help the so called "mages" but unforunately, its really quite novelty as most of the high magickers are high a/ders. :D

There are a few ways to make sure that the potion makers do not go out of business for poison antidotes:

1. Have the essences or mana used be more than is convenient. I think essences would be best there. Perhaps earth essence could be used for one since it is not used much.

2: Have the spell not have a 100% chance of success. Perhaps not even for great mages.

3. Make this be Slow Poison instead of Cure Poison.

3. Have a result of giving the poisoned person be reduced to -40 food (they threw up) if they are indeed poisoned. This will be inconvenient for toadstool users as it should be.

One side comment on Poison Antis, I can make them. I generally don't

because I can get them rather fast one Feros, since they drop them

fast. I doubt a spell would change the demand.

I bring this topic up, not just for the novelty of variety, but also

acutely aware that player cities will need a many types of combat

characters to effectively defend them. This is really where the ranger

excels alone, on the wall of the city, plinking at would be invaders.

I expect player cities to be destructible. Walls, Buildings, Siege Weapons

and whatnot will have HitPoints. I doubt ( I could be totally wrong ) they

will be non pk afk sit-fests, because that means the first guild to -claim-

land to build on never loses it. (Ehem guild maps, I fully expect our guild map

to get deleted when this happens, they should not exist. Although killbots

could exist as -city guards-)

Well anyway: more combat options = more people invovled :)

Anything to undo the current situation of the stand-wait-gang-repeat.

[...]

Cyas!

<Jerome_NL ingame nowadays :) >

What Magic level and Ration level is this possible?

Is there anyone that can do this ingame, or is this exaggeration to make a point?

Not that Im complaining, I just want to see the stats.

max ration, w/r pots and close to 85-100 magic level. i.e. Super mage Dugur

~40 ration 50s mag lvl and w/r pot will give you a ~100-120 dmg harm.

Edited by bigkav

@bigkav\sabbath

Thats pure damage without accounting for magic resistance.

Has anyone worked out the formula?

How many people have 100 magic, and how many people would

level it, so we have a minority of 5-10 people that need a intervention? :pickaxe:

Well I guess more people would level it if, (you are Totally Immune to ALL spells

for 1 minute and 30 seconds enjoy :pickaxe: was gone)

@end

-- side rant --

Its like reaching 150ad, the time it takes to grind to that here, you could

get a twin prop pilots license to haul cargo in the same time. Its farking crazy.

Unammedplayer1: omfg I spent 1000 hours grindingleveling ad and now a 50 magic nub

kills me.

--------------end

@nathanstenzel

great ideas to keep it a combat spell and not a toadie user one.

(I also think all these spells should be cast-able on other players, for healer types)

I recall self poisoning (not that was a good thing, poisoned myself before on accident :P

was removed due to toadie user abuse, since it does not stack. that problem would

be solved by stacking poison spells. Since if they self poison they only make it worse.